Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Finally got to try Assisted Driving Plus

11-03-2019, 02:28 PM   #23
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by retart13 View Post
I have a question about the driving plus. I'm currently considering (in the near future) getting an X3 M40i or M340i with the full driving assist pro package.

My next job will have a long commute (~60 miles each way on US limited access highway for a majority of the trip) without rush hour interference. The Extended traffic jam assist looks awesome, but I'm primarily concerned with open freeway features (driving around 75 mph).

-How does the tech work as far as letting you relax on open road?
-Has anyone compared with Cadilac's supercruise handsfree feature?

At faster speeds you can just keep one hand on the wheel, the car will still auto steer for you.

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 02:31 PM   #24
zmm12345
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x7 and 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post
Quote:
I have a question about the driving plus. I'm currently considering (in the near future) getting an X3 M40i or M340i with the full driving assist pro package.

My next job will have a long commute (~60 miles each way on US limited access highway for a majority of the trip) without rush hour interference. The Extended traffic jam assist looks awesome, but I'm primarily concerned with open freeway features (driving around 75 mph).

At faster speeds you can just keep one hand on the wheel, the car will still auto steer for you.
I have the x7 with the pro package. On an interstate highway without traffic, supercruise is much more confident and is fully hands free (I was on that book by Cadillac program last year until they shut it down)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2019, 10:46 PM   #25
x986
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 340, ex e92 335, ex e46 M3

Garage List
Quote:

On Thursday, I drove my new 340 from LA to SF with ZDA, Driving Assistance Pkg. & ZDY, Driving Assist. Pro. at speeds of 64+. I think I may have disconnected/taken over once. In my wife's Tesla, it is about once every 10-15 minutes. I did not hit <40 "commuter traffic" that is supposed to allow you to drive w.o. hands on wheel.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25059.50
      11-04-2019, 12:36 AM   #26
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by x986 View Post
Quote:

On Thursday, I drove my new 340 from LA to SF with ZDA, Driving Assistance Pkg. & ZDY, Driving Assist. Pro. at speeds of 64+. I think I may have disconnected/taken over once. In my wife's Tesla, it is about once every 10-15 minutes. I did not hit <40 "commuter traffic" that is supposed to allow you to drive w.o. hands on wheel.
In your opinion, is the BMW system better, worse or equal to the system in the TESLA?
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 08:51 AM   #27
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

Quote:
It has to be on they refer to "Limited access highway"
I'm beginning to think this disclaimer is legal CYA to a degree. My traffic jam assistant absolutely works on 4 lane roads with plenty of stoplights and cross streets...definitely not just limited access highways. Which is awesome. I thought it would only work on the short highway sections of my daily commute, but it actually allows hands-free for about 90% of my total drive. Loving it, makes daily bumper to bumper traffic much less painful.

That said, the "assisted driving plus" option only appears in very limited areas of interstate driving for me. So limited that I've rarely gotten to use it so far. But the traffic jam asst. feature that I use daily is the reason I got the package, and it's been totally worth it.

Last edited by 2020g20; 11-04-2019 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 09:00 AM   #28
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
This is true, but unfortunately at faster speeds my car has a slight swaying motion as it's slowly ping-ponging back and forth between the lines. Anything over 50mph and it's almost motion-sickness inducing for me. Fortunately that's not why I got the driving asst. package. If I'm driving that fast I'd rather be driving myself.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2019, 04:29 PM   #29
Cosmo_Kramer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
For those of you who have driven a TESLA on autopilot, how does this compare?
There's a huge downside with Telsa is that Autopilot system needs to be on destination in order to let the car drive by itself there's no traffic jam assist function like BMW G20.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25059.50
      11-04-2019, 05:31 PM   #30
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020g20 View Post
This is true, but unfortunately at faster speeds my car has a slight swaying motion as it's slowly ping-ponging back and forth between the lines. Anything over 50mph and it's almost motion-sickness inducing for me. Fortunately that's not why I got the driving asst. package. If I'm driving that fast I'd rather be driving myself.
I read somewhere in the forum if you turn off lane departure warning, it will solve this issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 06:29 PM   #31
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo_Kramer View Post
Quote:
For those of you who have driven a TESLA on autopilot, how does this compare?
There's a huge downside with Telsa is that Autopilot system needs to be on destination in order to let the car drive by itself there's no traffic jam assist function like BMW G20.
Thank you! That's good to know.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 06:53 PM   #32
x986
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 340, ex e92 335, ex e46 M3

Garage List
Quote:
In your opinion, is the BMW system better, worse or equal to the system in the TESLA?
I kind of prefer the one that doesn't have to be disconnected every few minutes.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25059.50
      11-05-2019, 02:05 PM   #33
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I'm beginning to think this disclaimer is legal CYA to a degree. My traffic jam assistant absolutely works on 4 lane roads with plenty of stoplights and cross streets...definitely not just limited access highways. Which is awesome. I thought it would only work on the short highway sections of my daily commute, but it actually allows hands-free for about 90% of my total drive. Loving it, makes daily bumper to bumper traffic much less painful.

That said, the "assisted driving plus" option only appears in very limited areas of interstate driving for me. So limited that I've rarely gotten to use it so far. But the traffic jam asst. feature that I use daily is the reason I got the package, and it's been totally worth it.
Wait whats the difference between Traffic Jam Assist and Assisted Driving Plus? I thought they were essentially the same thing - fully assisted driving, with no hands on the steering wheel below 40mph?

How do you enable Traffic Jam Assist?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 02:25 PM   #34
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post
Wait whats the difference between Traffic Jam Assist and Assisted Driving Plus? I thought they were essentially the same thing - fully assisted driving, with no hands on the steering wheel below 40mph?

How do you enable Traffic Jam Assist?
They essentially are the same.

Once the requirements for traffic jam assist are met, you will see a notification in your instrument cluster to let you know it's available. Once that happens, if you hit the "mode" button on your steering wheel, that'll engage the traffic jam assist.

The requirements for traffic jam assist are:
Attached Images

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2019, 03:09 PM   #35
Jkwon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

So assisted driving view is great it shows you the car in front is recognised, or lorry or bike etc, the lanes and so on but is there a quick way to swap between map view and this view on the cockpit screen? Rather than enable / disable the setting In idrive?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2019, 03:56 PM   #36
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtwo3 View Post
They essentially are the same.

Once the requirements for traffic jam assist are met, you will see a notification in your instrument cluster to let you know it's available. Once that happens, if you hit the "mode" button on your steering wheel, that'll engage the traffic jam assist.

The requirements for traffic jam assist are:
Thats what I thought - but 2020g20 said that he can use Traffic Jam Assistant hands free in most places but can't use Assisted Driving Plus in too many places - so it sounded like they were two different things for him.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 06:40 AM   #37
retart13
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmm12345 View Post
I have the x7 with the pro package. On an interstate highway without traffic, supercruise is much more confident and is fully hands free (I was on that book by Cadillac program last year until they shut it down)
Would you mind explaining further? Would you say for crushing open highway miles, Supercruise is probably more ideal? Was the BMW system still for the most part tolerable? Ping-ponging?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 08:36 AM   #38
zmm12345
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x7 and 330i

Quote:
Would you mind explaining further? Would you say for crushing open highway miles, Supercruise is probably more ideal? Was the BMW system still for the most part tolerable? Ping-ponging?
I find the BMW system is pretty good on interstate highways, and the assisted lane change is actually helpful. I didnt realize how helpful, until I drove my wife's 3 series that has the the same system, minus the assisted lane change.

The BMW current system, is light years ahead of the version that my 2016 7 series had. I find that it doesnt really ping pong on a normal interstate highway, and its definitely a big help. Having driven an x7 with the older software as well, I can safely say that the more recent idrive versions from the July update, have improved the lane tracking and lane changing.

As far as supercruise
Supercruise is much more confident on main highways, and is fully hands off, however it does have limitations vs BMS
1) It only works on highways that cadillac has mapped (basically all the big ones)
2) it does not have assisted lane change
3) I found it to have issues when the sun is shining from the side. The driver monitoring camera has a hard time seeing that you are looking. i did find that putting the visor on the side window helped.

In other words, for straight, no traffic interstate highway driving, i would say that supercruise is much better.

One other caveat, I dont know if its only me, but I found myself getting much more tired with supercruise. My theory is, that because you are fully hands off, its more tiring for your brain to track what the car is doing. when you have a hand on the wheel that is moving with the wheel, you brain has an easier time correlating what it sees, with the movement you feel. I dont know if I am making this up or not.

Tesla probably has the best blended performance, even though its hands on in traffic vs bmw. the issue with tesla, is that once you get over the tech, the car itself is not very comfortable, and does not do well on bumpy roads. It also doesnt have some basic creature comforts, such as a HUD and apple carplay.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 08:59 AM   #39
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post
Thats what I thought - but 2020g20 said that he can use Traffic Jam Assistant hands free in most places but can't use Assisted Driving Plus in too many places - so it sounded like they were two different things for him.
My fault, maybe I'm still not clear on the actual lingo. The mode I use daily for most of my commute is standard "driving assist", where I'm driving 0-60ish mph and it's controlling the pedals and the steering...but I have to keep one hand (knee) touching the wheel. I was calling that traffic jam assist because that's definitely what it's doing...driving me to/from work in daily traffic jams. But not totally hands free.

When I do occasionally get presented the option for full "driving assist plus" (extended traffic jam assist?) it's only on the interstates, and the only difference is that I don't have to touch the wheel at all, as long as I'm under 40mph. As soon as you exceed 40mph (or leave a designated "limited access highway" zone) it automatically reverts to standard driver assist and you have to again keep one hand on the wheel.

So I guess I thought:

Driver assist = "traffic jam assistant"
Driver assist plus = "extended traffic jam assistant"
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 07:31 AM   #40
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
So I guess I thought:

First off, this is the G20 forum, and the G20 only has DA Pro, not DA Plus. Now, if you don't have DA Pro (or DA Plus on older models, as far as I know), you don't get any traffic jam assistant at all.

Here is what I wrote in the adjacent thread (https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=43):

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
all the major safety features (lane departure avoidance, city emergency breaking, ...) are standard; the Pro package adds active level 2/3 autonomous driving features like extended adaptive cruise control, traffic jam assist and automatic lane guidance.

The regular driving assistance is mostly (radar-based) blind spot warning and some minor things like slightly extended speed-limit info, and warnings against rear- and side collisions.
The difference between extended traffic jam assist and regular lane steering assistant/adaptive cruise control is that the former only works under 40 mph and not on all roads, but then lets you take off your hands as long as you pay attention to traffic, while the latter requires you to keep the hand on the steering wheel (and presumably also to pay attention).

Maybe your problem with the lingo is that "Driving Assistant" and "Driving Assistant Professional" (as well as stand-alone) "Adaptive Cruise Control" are tech packages/optional package, whereas "traffic jam assist" or "lane departure warning" or "lane change assistant" (not available on some/all G2xs) or "lange steering assistant" are specific features/modes of those.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2019, 09:14 AM   #41
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
Quote:
So I guess I thought:

First off, this is the G20 forum, and the G20 only has DA Pro, not DA Plus. Now, if you don't have DA Pro (or DA Plus on older models, as far as I know), you don't get any traffic jam assistant at all.
You're talking package names, and i was attempting to talk feature names within that package. You are correct, the package name was Driver Asst Pro, and it was $1700 on my G20 custom build. However the features it adds are labeled "Assisted Driving" and "Assisted Driving Plus" (I was mixing up the terminology a bit before) according to the instrument cluster, control screen and user manual. But on top of that they throw in the "Traffic Jam Asst" and "Extended Traffic Jam Asst" lingo (but only in marketing info and the user manual, doesn't appear in the car itself). So in total they are using 5 different names to refer to basically two different features on the G20. Even my sales guys at 3 different dealerships were confused by the terminology haha. Finally makes sense now that I'm driving the car, but was confusing as heck as a new BMW customer. Had to call BMWNA when I was ordering my car just to make sure I was getting the right features.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 03:25 PM   #42
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
BMW could use a catchy name for Driver Assit Pro.

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 06:08 PM   #43
2020g20
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndi335I View Post
I read somewhere in the forum if you turn off lane departure warning, it will solve this issue.
Took my first road trip in the new car over the holiday, 21 hours of driving over 5 days. I used Assisted Driving for at least 70% of that, and AD Plus in several traffic jams.

Disabling lane departure warning does help cut down on ping-ponging for me, but I wouldn't say that it solves it, especially on anything other than a straightaway. But I found you can eliminate it almost entirely if you keep a little bit of tension on the wheel to either side. Not enough to overpower the DA at all, but just enough to eliminate the minuscule amount of side-to-side play before affecting the steering. If you 'lean' into the curves with this slight tension, it cuts down on the amount of oscillation.

Given that, this is now without a doubt my #1 favorite feature on this car. Made the long trek much more enjoyable. I doubt I'll ever get another new car without this capability.

Last edited by 2020g20; 12-02-2019 at 06:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 01:12 AM   #44
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo_Kramer View Post
What are you talking about? Autopilot doesn't require any destination be set in the Nav to work. And it surely isn't restricted to speeds 40mph or below like this wannabe Driving/Traffic Jam Assist BS! LOL

I was using Autopilot on the fwy at 88mph the other day (don't come looking for me Sedan_Clan ) and it worked great, slowing down appropriately when coming up to slower moving traffic or when others merged into my lane.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25059.50