Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Forget RFTs-Air Pump Works Great

04-26-2024, 04:53 PM   #1
Cammy440iGC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440GC xDrive

Forget RFTs-Air Pump Works Great

I have a 2024 G26 M440i X Drive with the 19 inch Pirelli P-Zero Non Run Flat All Season Tires.

Earlier this week while getting on the highway there was a bunch of metal road debris in my lane obviously left over from an earlier accident.

I couldn't get left as there were trucks....I was able to avoid the larger pieces of metal scrap in my lane. However, my right front tire hit a small piece. At the time I wasn't sure if it was metal or plastic.

No immediate warning "low tire pressure". I had about a 10 minute drive to work. Again, no warning light on and I inspected the tire before heading into my office building.

However, when I came out at lunchtime....that tire was flat as a pancake!! 0 psi. So what I hit must have been a small sharp piece of metal.

Anyway...the dealer had shown me the air pump kit in the hatchback in case I ever had a flat tire.

Now my car only has about 4,000 miles on it ...so except for the puncture the tire was still fairly new.

So I set up the pump and plugged it into the 12v outlet near the gear selector and that pump quickly re-inflated that tire from 0 psi to 40 psi. I was very impressed.

This allowed me to dire the car to my local tire place.

I had to order the Pirelli P Zero A/S from Tire RacK and have it dropped shipped to my local tire place. My local dealer could not order this tire.

So I had to leave my car for 24 hours. Tire Rack got the tire to my local tire place first thing in the morning the next day.

A painful experience, I don't know why some of the crews that respond to accidents don't clear the highways of debris...especially on the on ramps when cars have limited ability to avoid the junk.

But I did learn how to use the pump that comes with the G26 M440i X-Drive when you go with the 19 inch A/S Non-Run flats.

Hopefully no need to use it again anytime soon.

But its a good little unit!
Appreciate 2
Fulqrum35.50
      04-26-2024, 08:02 PM   #2
Fulqrum
Rep
Drives: M440ix

Is it one of those air pumps with an attached can of sealant? Gotta part number by chance?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 04:34 PM   #3
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Are you talking about the kit that came with my non-runflat G26? Is it a fix-a-flat kind of thing or just a pump? I leave it in my garage, maybe I shouldn't.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2024, 04:57 PM   #4
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulqrum View Post
Is it one of those air pumps with an attached can of sealant? Gotta part number by chance?
Not sure that the pump OP is talking about comes as factory-equipped. I got a great deal off Amazon - it's compact; fits neatly in the trunk pocket and works really well. I use it occasionally to readjust my tire pressure and have used the sealant once on a friend's car:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BJ2TBL2...p_mob_ap_share
Appreciate 1
Fulqrum35.50
      04-29-2024, 03:55 PM   #5
Cammy440iGC
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440GC xDrive

My 2024 G26 M440i X-Drive came with this tire repair kit.

In the kit is:
An electric pump
A can of air/sealant (in case the pump won't keep the tire inflated)
A tow hook ( I guess if nothing works and you need a tow).

It's located in the hatch back area on the driver's side in a well.

Great kit.

Don't leave it in your garage. You may need it! I did!

Its in a very nice zip bad that has Velcroed to stay in place while driving.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 08:57 PM   #6
Gaviatrix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
I leave it in my garage, maybe I shouldn't.
It's damn-all use to you in your garage if you have a flat by the roadside away from home! Tuck it away in one of those side pockets and one day it might just get you home ...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2024, 09:06 PM   #7
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaviatrix View Post
It's damn-all use to you in your garage if you have a flat by the roadside away from home! Tuck it away in one of those side pockets and one day it might just get you home ...
I will. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
Gaviatrix169.50