Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Remote Start

07-12-2020, 07:57 AM   #1
Franko666
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Remote Start

Is it possible to code the remote start option on a 3 series G20?
      07-12-2020, 11:35 AM   #2
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

While this is not a direct answer to your question - I think my experience may help you get closer to the answer you are after.
  • I had remote start added by Mission Performance
  • They (Mission Performance) offers this an option in conjunction with a flash tune from them
  • It's a bit of a work-around in that you need to leave you card-key in the car
  • This was/is applicable to my M340 (which I know is different from what you drive - I'm sure it would or could work the same)

Again not a simple yes or no - but maybe enough for you to contact someone local and start a conversation....good luck let us know what you find out. Hope this helps a bit.

Appreciate 2
      07-14-2020, 12:13 PM   #3
Merlin75
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
While this is not a direct answer to your question - I think my experience may help you get closer to the answer you are after.
  • They (Mission Performance) offers this an option in conjunction with a flash tune from them
  • This was/is applicable to my M340 (which I know is different from what you drive - I'm sure it would or could work the same)

Again not a simple yes or no - but maybe enough for you to contact someone local and start a conversation....good luck let us know what you find out. Hope this helps a bit.

Is that the standard exhaust sound? Sounds awesome!

My 2019 330i sounds so weak compared to my Lexus. I have wondered if there is a way to make the 330i sound like it has more power rather than sound like there is a hole in the exhaust?

Also looking to get remote start, but not sure how or where to get this done in Houston.
      07-14-2020, 01:02 PM   #4
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin75 View Post
Is that the standard exhaust sound? Sounds awesome!

My 2019 330i sounds so weak compared to my Lexus. I have wondered if there is a way to make the 330i sound like it has more power rather than sound like there is a hole in the exhaust?

Also looking to get remote start, but not sure how or where to get this done in Houston.
Thanks Merlin75 - I like the sound too :-)

I am running a catted downpipe through my stock M340 exhaust. Not going to be much help with your quest for remote start on the 330 - presently the only shop I know that is doing this is Mission Performance and only in conjunction with an engine flash and only on the M340 (he is not currently offering 330 tuning)

Good luck, I'm sure other options will pop up soon enough :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 03:11 PM   #5
Merlin75
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:
Thanks Merlin75 - I like the sound too :-)

I am running a catted downpipe through my stock M340 exhaust. Not going to be much help with your quest for remote start on the 330 - presently the only shop I know that is doing this is Mission Performance and only in conjunction with an engine flash and only on the M340 (he is not currently offering 330 tuning)

Good luck, I'm sure other options will pop up soon enough :-)
Yeah, I checked out their website. It is what it is. Do you mind me asking where you got your catted downpipe?
      07-14-2020, 03:17 PM   #6
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin75 View Post
Yeah, I checked out their website. It is what it is. Do you mind me asking where you got your catted downpipe?
Not at all - forum sponsor extreme power house typically has some of the best landed prices on parts - I was ready to purchase from him when I stumbled on a fellow forum member that had a new one for sale (long story)

https://x-ph.com/

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 04:09 PM   #7
Medjd11
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30

Quote:

Chenry
, when you say leave you key card in the car. Are you referring to the black card you place in the tray to start the car?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 05:00 PM   #8
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franko666 View Post
Is it possible to code the remote start option on a 3 series G20?
To have remote start as BMW intended the answer is no. There are workarounds as mentioned already, but involves more than just coding. And so far just US cars (I think)!

I think I'm also right in saying that in some markets the hardware is already installed just not activated by BMW, like in the US. Some states have it, some don't from what I've read. This may not be right. If it's wrong then might be possible at some point.

If we also need hardware, there are 2 reasons why it's difficult and I don't think it will ever be possible for UK cars.

1. It is illegal to run your engine unattended on a public road in the UK. There is no way BMW can guarantee this won't happen so they don't provide remote start or install hardware for EU cars.

2. Car Insurance. Insurers in the UK don't like people starting their cars and then leaving them. The small print on some policies says if you leave your car engine on unattended and the car was stolen, then policy is cancelled. And I think with digital relays being able to open cars, leaving a digital key card on the car which can start the car wouldn't be looked at well.

Land/Range Rover get around this by providing an auxiliary heater/cooler in the car which doesn't need the engine running at active. UK G20 doesn't have this.

It would be interesting to see if it possible but it isn't a Bimmercode job!
      08-30-2020, 07:00 PM   #9
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport (G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by del82 View Post
If we also need hardware, there are 2 reasons why it's difficult and I don't think it will ever be possible for UK cars.

1. It is illegal to run your engine unattended on a public road in the UK. There is no way BMW can guarantee this won't happen so they don't provide remote start or install hardware for EU cars.
What about your drive way? Technically it's not a public road.
BMW allows me to lock the car with engine running anyway. What's the difference between me popping into a car, starting it up, then locking it, and getting back to the house and doing it remotely from my kitchen when I'm having a tea? Other than it's inconvenient there is no difference. It's your responsibility, not BMW, to use the vehicle legally.

Quote:
2. Car Insurance. Insurers in the UK don't like people starting their cars and then leaving them. The small print on some policies says if you leave your car engine on unattended and the car was stolen, then policy is cancelled. And I think with digital relays being able to open cars, leaving a digital key card on the car which can start the car wouldn't be looked at well.
That's a valid point but I always wonder, how will they ever know whether the engine was running or not at this time? How will they know if the card was inside or not? Also, as we all know if they want to steal your car they don't need the engine running anyway. They will be just fine without our help.
Quote:
Land/Range Rover get around this by providing an auxiliary heater/cooler in the car which doesn't need the engine running at active. UK G20 doesn't have this.
I guess you could just order parts from Europe? For example, in Poland it is roughly £1500 option when ordering new car. I imagine parts + labour will be way too expensive to even consider for most but if somone isn't short of cash there is always a way I suppose.

Google translate from the Polish BMW website.

"The parking heater with timer enables individual heating of the interior in cold weather without starting the engine. It also prevents the windows from freezing up and fogging up. The auxiliary heating is controlled, for example, with a BMW key with display, BMW smartphone app or the iDrive controller.

The heat source is a water heating device powered by the fuel system. A cold engine is also heated via the cooling system. This reduces fuel consumption during the warm-up phase. The parking heater can be switched on with programmable switching on at outside temperatures below 15 ° C, and with direct switching on at any temperature. At warmer temperatures, parking ventilation keeps the interior cool"

Last edited by hamera; 08-30-2020 at 07:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 10:04 PM   #10
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medjd11 View Post
Chenry
, when you say leave you key card in the car. Are you referring to the black card you place in the tray to start the car?
yes :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 10:09 PM   #11
Medjd11
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medjd11 View Post
Chenry
yes :-)
Thx. Will give this a shot tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 03:16 AM   #12
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamera View Post
Quote:

What about your drive way? Technically it's not a public road.
BMW allows me to lock the car with engine running anyway. What's the difference between me popping into a car, starting it up, then locking it, and getting back to the house and doing it remotely from my kitchen when I'm having a tea? Other than it's inconvenient there is no difference. It's your responsibility, not BMW, to use the vehicle legally.

Quote:
That's a valid point but I always wonder, how will they ever know whether the engine was running or not at this time? How will they know if the card was inside or not? Also, as we all know if they want to steal your car they don't need the engine running anyway. They will be just fine without our help.
Quote:
I guess you could just order parts from Europe? For example, in Poland it is roughly £1500 option when ordering new car. I imagine parts + labour will be way too expensive to even consider for most but if somone isn't short of cash there is always a way I suppose.

Google translate from the Polish BMW website.

"The parking heater with timer enables individual heating of the interior in cold weather without starting the engine. It also prevents the windows from freezing up and fogging up. The auxiliary heating is controlled, for example, with a BMW key with display, BMW smartphone app or the iDrive controller.

The heat source is a water heating device powered by the fuel system. A cold engine is also heated via the cooling system. This reduces fuel consumption during the warm-up phase. The parking heater can be switched on with programmable switching on at outside temperatures below 15 ° C, and with direct switching on at any temperature. At warmer temperatures, parking ventilation keeps the interior cool"
Agree on the driveway. The law is roughly: The use of such apps "would only be lawful where the driver was in close attendance and could take control of the vehicle if needed."

Tbh all of this is because of German law where it is illegal to even park on your driveway with the engine running. Same with speed camera warnings - perfectly legal in the UK but France and Germany it's illegal so they don't give us the option in the EU as standard. That's my understanding of the legality behind the decision. Cars not built in Germany can have the warnings built in to the Nav like RR/LR. German cars that are electric can have remote start.

Anyway I think it's a lot of effort and risk with insurers and warranty to mess around with remote start here in the UK. It would be great but there's so much ambiguity around it.