Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions 5AR - Extended Traffic Jam Assistant

08-12-2020, 05:11 PM   #1
rickkap
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d XDrive M Sport (G20)

5AR - Extended Traffic Jam Assistant

Hi folks

Any UK people on here have the Driving Assistance Professional Package with 5AR Extended Traffic Jam Assistant?

I have the standard traffic jam assistant but not the extended, well i don't think i have.

I've recently done a road trip and was stuck in traffic most of the way and I never got Driver Assist Available in the iDrive with the option to turn Driver Assist Plus on via the steering wheel mode switch. I had to keep tapping the steering when when i got the amber lights.

I questioned the dealer today as my car is in for a recall and they didn't really understand what i was going on about.

I do believe that this might be only available in the US and if so can it be coded?

Forgot to mention my car is a UK spec 320d with all the packages available

Last edited by rickkap; 08-12-2020 at 05:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 03:15 AM   #2
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickkap View Post
Hi folks

Any UK people on here have the Driving Assistance Professional Package with 5AR Extended Traffic Jam Assistant?

I have the standard traffic jam assistant but not the extended, well i don't think i have.

I've recently done a road trip and was stuck in traffic most of the way and I never got Driver Assist Available in the iDrive with the option to turn Driver Assist Plus on via the steering wheel mode switch. I had to keep tapping the steering when when i got the amber lights.

I questioned the dealer today as my car is in for a recall and they didn't really understand what i was going on about.

I do believe that this might be only available in the US and if so can it be coded?

We do not get it in the U.K. I haven’t seen any mention of it being coded. I agree it would be nice to have.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R

Last edited by Tam the Bam; 08-13-2020 at 03:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
rickkap37.50
      08-13-2020, 06:01 AM   #3
rickkap
Private First Class
Rep

Thought so... i've stuck a post on bimmerfest and see if it's possible
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 06:09 AM   #4
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
rickkap ,

My car came with Extended Traffic Assist, but coded in both Driver Assistance View and Lane Change Assist; and for the longest time, I had the same reaction you did -- it never seemed to work. Then a few months ago, I got caught in one of our tunnel traffic jams on the interstate. I got a legalese CYA message on iDrive and the words, "DRIVER ASSIST READY" appeared next to the driver assist icon on the instrument panel. Subsequently, it has worked on other occasions. I have figured out that you must be in: a limited access highway; heavy traffic; slow speeds (under 35mph)

BTW, I'm in US

Hope that helps!

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 1
rickkap37.50
      08-13-2020, 03:32 PM   #5
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M Sport (G20)

Quote:
Hi folks

I have 320i '19 UK spec with DAP and it does work perfectly fine. It just isn't called that way in the UK. There is no pop up message or any need of accepting this mode for it to work either. Once you activate the Assisted Driving Mode it switches itself over depending on speed and road conditions without any indication. There is no additional icons displayed, any text, nothing at all. I need to take my go pro and record it. There is so much confusion regarding this feature in the UK.

That is my poor effort of trying to explain it in another thread:
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=39

In addition to that, is your attention camera turned on? You need this in order to enjoy "hands free" mode in traffic under 40mph.

Last edited by hamera; 08-13-2020 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2020, 05:18 PM   #6
rickkap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamera View Post
I have 320i '19 UK spec with DAP and it does work perfectly fine. It just isn't called that way in the UK. There is no pop up message or any need of accepting this mode for it to work either. Once you activate the Assisted Driving Mode it switches itself over depending on speed and road conditions without any indication. There is no additional icons displayed, any text, nothing at all. I need to take my go pro and record it. There is so much confusion regarding this feature in the UK.

That is my poor effort of trying to explain it in another thread:
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...0&postcount=39

In addition to that, is your attention camera turned on? You need this in order to enjoy "hands free" mode in traffic under 40mph.
Thank you for your explanation, I do have the attention camera switched on and checked in the iDrive menu but when we were driving down to Devon last weekend we were stuck in very slow moving traffic M6/M5 and even below 40 mph i was still getting the yellow lights on the steering wheel. I even tried looking to the side and i didn't get any warnings from the car to say look forward you mofo

Is your car Pre June 2019 and what software version are you running? Maybe this might have something to do with it.

If you do get chance to get you GoPro out it would really help. I can show this to the dealer and see what they have to say.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 02:29 AM   #7
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for your explanation, I do have the attention camera switched on and checked in the iDrive menu but when we were driving down to Devon last weekend we were stuck in very slow moving traffic M6/M5 and even below 40 mph i was still getting the yellow lights on the steering wheel. I even tried looking to the side and i didn't get any warnings from the car to say look forward you mofo

Is your car Pre June 2019 and what software version are you running? Maybe this might have something to do with it.

If you do get chance to get you GoPro out it would really help. I can show this to the dealer and see what they have to say.
My car was built in August '19 and I'm still running on software version 07/2019.30. Still no OTA updates available according to the search results... Yeah, right

I'll get some video footage this afternoon so you can see it in action on the UK spec model.

Last edited by hamera; 08-14-2020 at 03:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 01:45 PM   #8
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Right, I've wasted some time this afternoon and I recorded some video clips of the system in action.

Let's get things cleared up first.

If someone ask me "Do you have Traffic Jam Assist or Traffic Jam Assist Plus?" The simple answer is "No, there is no such thing in the UK"

Feature called "Traffic Jam Assist" isn't mentioned in the description of the Driving Assistant Professional or anywhere in the iDrive? Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

What I do have is "Distance control" and "Assisted Driving" modes. First one is pretty self-explanatory. The other one is the "self driving" mode. Depending on speed, sufficient road markings, turn angle and whether there is a car in front of you, you do or you don't have to touch the steering wheel.

Normally after about 25 seconds of Assisted Driving it will flash amber LEDs on the steering wheel to remind you to hold the steering wheel. I have this disabled in iDrive because its just annoying. For the video recording purposes I enabled them back.There still is an icon on the dashboard that changes colours to indicate the state of the system.

Now, as I already have mentioned earlier. There is no indication of the car going "hands free" mode. The system activates automatically when all operating requirements are met. If there is something it doesn't like, for example, poor road markings it will simply go amber again. That's it.
That's my experience with this system. I hope that helps. English isn't my first language so excuse my grammar.

Videos below. Please bear in mind it's just a quick upload, raw footage. No music, captions or any voice over. When you hear the chime, that's the sound of the reminder to look up ahead.

First one is well over 4 minutes without touching the steering wheel. I think it didn't like the bollards on the side of the road and it eventually went amber. I must warn you. It's boring!

This one is the same road and again it didn't like the bollards going over the bridge. Went amber twice but this time I've carried on recording. Over 7 minutes in traffic and touched the steering wheel twice just on that bridge.

This is just over 2 minutes video. Different road. Not sure what was the reason for it to disengage there.

Some pics as well
Attached Images

Last edited by hamera; 08-14-2020 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 04:10 PM   #9
rickkap
Private First Class
Rep

OMG.... thank you for this. My car wouldn't do this as soon as the traffic starts to move it will turn yellow... I'm wondering if it's because you have the speed set to 20mph as it's suppose to only work under 40mph and of course i was on a motorway so it was set at 70mph(ish)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 04:17 PM   #10
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
OMG.... thank you for this. My car wouldn't do this as soon as the traffic starts to move it will turn yellow... I'm wondering if it's because you have the speed set to 20mph as it's suppose to only work under 40mph and of course i was on a motorway so it was set at 70mph(ish)
No worries.

No, I don't think so. It does work even better on the motorway in traffic. Set speed isn't relevant. Your actual speed matters.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2020, 05:56 PM   #11
rickkap
Private First Class
Rep

Then the only thing that is different is the built date... mine is pre July 2019 and i would presume that it would need to be coded.

Do you have access to esys? I've had a reply on bimmerfest where a guy has coded every drive assist feature available globally.

Here is the link https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1393853

If you do have access to e-sys could you check:

HU_MGU > SASx > C_HOO_Vorhanden standby/no_standby - choose one of these, dont know the differences as it never worked for me, but later build versions use standby so go with that
HU_MGU > LENKASSISTENT_DCS gen_1

To see what you have it set to and i can compare on mine.

Thanks for your time...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2020, 03:56 AM   #12
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Then the only thing that is different is the built date... mine is pre July 2019 and i would presume that it would need to be coded.

Do you have access to esys? I've had a reply on bimmerfest where a guy has coded every drive assist feature available globally.

Here is the link https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1393853

If you do have access to e-sys could you check:

HU_MGU > SASx > C_HOO_Vorhanden standby/no_standby - choose one of these, dont know the differences as it never worked for me, but later build versions use standby so go with that
HU_MGU > LENKASSISTENT_DCS gen_1

To see what you have it set to and i can compare on mine.

Thanks for your time...
Sorry, I don't have access to e-sys so I'm afraid I can't help you with that one.

Last edited by hamera; 08-15-2020 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 02:55 AM   #13
rickkap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I don't have access to e-sys so I'm afraid I can't help you with that one.
I'm not getting anywhere with this... i've been to the main dealer and they say that it's not available in the UK and even showing them your video they are still adamant.

Did you code this feature by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 04:32 AM   #14
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm not getting anywhere with this... i've been to the main dealer and they say that it's not available in the UK and even showing them your video they are still adamant.

Did you code this feature by any chance?
Adamant. So why is it working perfectly fine in my car then?

It came like this from the factory.

I'm thinking about coding the lane change assist which isn't working in my car and as far as I'm aware that's the case with any UK spec car.

So far I coded some other very basic things:

-Auto Start/Stop function memory
-One touch turn signal 5 times
-Welcome Lights in darkness only
-Horn signal OFF when locking the car with engine running

Last edited by hamera; 08-19-2020 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 12:54 PM   #15
rickkap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Horn signal OFF when locking the car with engine running
How did you do this?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 02:07 PM   #16
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
How did you do this?
BimmerCode
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 02:48 AM   #17
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla MY LR AWD

Quote:
Right, I've wasted some time this afternoon and I recorded some video clips of the system in action.

Let's get things cleared up first.

If someone ask me "Do you have Traffic Jam Assist or Traffic Jam Assist Plus?" The simple answer is "No, there is no such thing in the UK"

Feature called "Traffic Jam Assist" isn't mentioned in the description of the Driving Assistant Professional or anywhere in the iDrive? Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

What I do have is "Distance control" and "Assisted Driving" modes. First one is pretty self-explanatory. The other one is the "self driving" mode. Depending on speed, sufficient road markings, turn angle and whether there is a car in front of you, you do or you don't have to touch the steering wheel.

Normally after about 25 seconds of Assisted Driving it will flash amber LEDs on the steering wheel to remind you to hold the steering wheel. I have this disabled in iDrive because its just annoying. For the video recording purposes I enabled them back.There still is an icon on the dashboard that changes colours to indicate the state of the system.

Now, as I already have mentioned earlier. There is no indication of the car going "hands free" mode. The system activates automatically when all operating requirements are met. If there is something it doesn't like, for example, poor road markings it will simply go amber again. That's it.
That's my experience with this system. I hope that helps. English isn't my first language so excuse my grammar.

Videos below. Please bear in mind it's just a quick upload, raw footage. No music, captions or any voice over. When you hear the chime, that's the sound of the reminder to look up ahead.

First one is well over 4 minutes without touching the steering wheel. I think it didn't like the bollards on the side of the road and it eventually went amber. I must warn you. It's boring!

This one is the same road and again it didn't like the bollards going over the bridge. Went amber twice but this time I've carried on recording. Over 7 minutes in traffic and touched the steering wheel twice just on that bridge.

This is just over 2 minutes video. Different road. Not sure what was the reason for it to disengage there.

Some pics as well
Thanks for posting these.

There is some confusion here. What you have shown is normal assisted driving behaviour at low speeds. It's not eTJA. If you can show a video of your car driving >20 mph hands off consistently for over 3 minutes then that would be interesting. It would probably need to be on a motorway to allow the system to continue without hazard interruption.

ETJA can be coded but only used in countries where it is supported. The EU does not allow it so it's coded out in Europe (5AR missing) and more importantly restricted by GPS geolocation.

There has been a lot of press about the UK reviewing hands off semi autonomous driving legislation so hopefully it will be allowed in the future.

I had the same issue with auto lane change not being supported on my car in the UK, but figured out how to enable and shared the coding early last year.
The UK has a blocking code (8TR) in VO/FA which stops auto lane change from being available. You can either remove the blocking code from FA and VO code hu_mgu, bdc and sasx ECU's, or FDL code the necessary codes in each ECU.

Can't be done in BimmerCode - it needs esys.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 04:07 AM   #18
hamera
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

No worries. Yes, there is a lot of confusion regarding this feature in the UK. If I'm correct, there are people unable to get the "hands free" mode working even at very low speeds? So the videos were mainly to proof that there is definitely no need of touching the steering wheel in the actual traffic jams. Doing over 20mph means it's not really a traffic jam. Not in my understanding anyway. If that's what we are missing out on, I'm not really that bothered.

Lane change assist is definitely on my to do list. Just need to get my head around the whole esys thing
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 05:10 AM   #19
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No worries. Yes, there is a lot of confusion regarding this feature in the UK. If I'm correct, there are people unable to get the "hands free" mode working even at very low speeds? So the videos were mainly to proof that there is definitely no need of touching the steering wheel in the actual traffic jams. Doing over 20mph means it's not really a traffic jam. Not in my understanding anyway. If that's what we are missing out on, I'm not really that bothered.

Lane change assist is definitely on my to do list. Just need to get my head around the whole esys thing
Everyone with drive assist pro should get an extended/indefinite hands free period at low speeds if complying with the DCS requirements. The eTJA kicks in on motorways up to 40 mph and could in theory allow the car to be driven hands free for hours.

My car is configured with indefinite hands free at any speed on any road so I don't need eTJA but I've had it coded out of curiosity and it's never kicked in on UK roads. The same eTJA coding has worked on US cars so it's definitely a region gps lock restriction.

Auto Lane Change assist is probably my favourite coding. It makes motorway driving so much more relaxed and complements the assisted driving well. I even prefer it to the Traffic Light Assistant but I guess it depends on driving behaviour.
Appreciate 1
rickkap37.50
      09-01-2020, 11:59 AM   #20
rickkap
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
My car is configured with indefinite hands free at any speed on any road so I don't need eTJA but I've had it coded out of curiosity
Would you be kind enough to share the coding?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 06:22 PM   #21
RSnic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340Xi (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
My car is configured with indefinite hands free at any speed on any road so I don't need eTJA but I've had it coded out of curiosity
+1

2020 M340Xi| ZDA| ZDY| ZPP| ZPX| 1CR| 1PL| 688| 6NW| 2VFH|
Retired: 2014 328i
BMW CCA
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2020, 02:20 AM   #22
ifr
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It's not possible via coding.
Appreciate 0