Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals From F80 to G20

10-09-2020, 11:28 PM   #1
Bimmers4life
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

From F80 to G20

About 3 years ago I had my F80 ordered and built to spec. I did a Performance Center Delivery and it was everything you’d expect and more. I had the M3 for almost 3 years and then I got the itch. The new M340i caught my eye the second it was released in 2019 but it wasn’t until here recently that I really gave it much thought. I was in a great place financially with the M3 carrying some good positive equity so I thought what the heck let’s do it. I traded the M3 for a new M340i lease. There were multiple reasons for making the switch and I can confidently say I have zero regrets. The G20 is a more practical daily driver as it’s ride is more comfortable, quiet and refined. I felt like in the 3 years that I had the M3 I never really drove it to its limits and took full advantage of what that car is capable of doing. Whether or not most F80 owners want to admit they don’t either. The gap in performance, styling and handling of the F30 340i and F80 is much larger than that of the F80 and G20 M340i. Some may say this is a downgrade but I don’t see it that way at all. In many ways it’s an upgrade. More comfort, updated styling, a lot more tech, and let’s face it almost a lateral move when it comes to performance. I don’t miss the M3 one bit and I absolutely love this car! If this car was available 3 years ago I would’ve gladly saved $23k and gotten this instead of my M3 which was $83k. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have in regards to the difference between the two models. Cheers!

The day I brought her home (3 weeks ago)

Quick stop by the BMW dealer for some goodies

Parts installed:
M Performance Front Grille
BMW Shadowline front bumper gloss black trim
BMW Mirror caps - painted gloss black (they come primed and require painting)
BMW Shadowline gloss black exhaust trim
BMW M340i badge gloss black
BMW Trunk mat
M Performance floor mats
M Performance front bumper lip spoiler

Next I got the windows tinted. This is our 2020 X3MC as well 😁

Update 10/12/2020: Installed the M Performance front lip spoiler. Completes the front end nicely.

A buddy came over with his X3 M40i so we snapped some pics

Next mods include:
MST intake (ordered and waiting as it’s on back order for 4-6 weeks)
H&R Springs (as soon as they release the RWD application)
Future Classic 12mm spacers
Active Autowerke downpipe & BM3 tune
M Performance exhaust

Just for fun a few pics of my F80

Instagram @asabau82

Last edited by Bimmers4life; 10-12-2020 at 01:02 PM..
Appreciate 8
VipinLJ1936.50
wtwo317864.00
JasonDot579.50
TBMNYS12.00
Fiskk23.50
      10-10-2020, 10:39 AM   #2
MUFCbmwbear
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 24 M2 & 20 M340xi

Def get the M perf Or AWE exhaust
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2020, 11:19 AM   #3
ruczko
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 330xi

Bothe awesome looking rides, glad you're happy with your choice. The M3 is on my bucket list.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 08:47 PM   #4
enginediver
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue 2018 F80

This makes me happy cause I just sold my fully loaded F80 (96k...ouch) as well, for the M340. Hopefully I like it as much as you do!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 09:32 PM   #5
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Here is my experience with the F80 —> G20 transition (a lot of similarities with the OP):

G20 review
Looks
Outside:
I find the car looking great, nicely proportional and the Mineral Grey is excellent (and very underrated) on the G20. The front is a nice evolution from the F30. Initially, I was not sure about the rear, however, it looks modern and is nicely integrated. Overall, safe design, nice flow and proportions. Looks beautiful from the side view.
Inside
The inside again is a nice evolution of the previous design. Simple but driver oriented and functional. Basic spec (No premium or exec) of the features is more than enough. The technology is nicely integrated, I don’t see any glitches or issues and I like some improvements over the f30/80, for example auto folding mirrors option, sun roof cover (not a tech), more ADAS integrated, etc. Both, my F30 and F80 were pretty much loaded.
The base LED lights are good. I was concerned reading that they are weak, however, I don’t find them any different from my F80 icons.
The car is definitely an upgrade comfort-wise from the f30 MSport or F80. The seats are more comfortable, the noise is very isolated, no rattles (so far, 6 weeks into it), the cabin room increase is noticeable. I’ve had black leatherette in my e90, black leather in my e92, black leather in my 120d, coral red in f30, sakir orange in my f80 and now black leather in my g20 and feels like this leather is softest and of highest quality.
The noise isolation is...too much? Big difference when driving with open windows and closed. I’d like a little more noise but maybe I am just missing my f80...and still not pushing it over 4k (currently close to 1k miles).
Another step forward is how doors and trunk close. Much more luxurious feel and sound.

The B58 engine is great. Powerful, smooth, great sound. Very nicely mapped in stock form (comfort or sport). The 8AT is my first automatic car in 30+ years of driving. Well, second to be precise but the first one got me bored pretty quickly and lasted only 6-7 months. Now, I am close to 50, so, I think I am ready for it to do most of the work. The f80 6MT was excellent, I do miss it...just a little bit...
The B58 + 8ZF mate nicely, in every mode pretty much, comfort, sport, sport+. Well, Sport+ not sure yet. Drove it a few times but short because it holds the lower gear and begs to be pushed.
The weight gain is noticeable (as is the size gain), however, it also makes the chassis very stable. Looks like the engine and transmission are not bothered by a few extra pounds and move the car very quickly. The car does feel very fast although I’ve been keeping it under 4,000 rpm. But, I’ve done a few aggressive turns and this platform is definitely a huge step up over the f30 (not f80 though ).
Extremely well balanced.
I do find the standard suspension setup more than perfect. I’ve had adaptive suspension in my f80 and never used anything other than sport (a few times sport+). I don’t think I will be missing adaptive control...
The brakes are good. Initially feel grabby even coming off the f80. Feel adequate for the car.

Other
I’ve noticed that sensors are less sensitive - trunk opening with your foot under - most of the time nothing happens. Comfort unlock and lock is way less sensitive than with the F-series. I’ve had quite the opposite issues with my F80 trunk “opening by itself”, then I realized it would always happen when I walk by the trunk and trigger the sensor...

I am sure it will be more and more fun once I pass 1,200 miles mark however, this car is much closer to the F30 than the F80. And that is a good thing. Except for those that get confused by that badge on the trunk...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 09:59 PM   #6
Bimmers4life
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginediver View Post
This makes me happy cause I just sold my fully loaded F80 (96k...ouch) as well, for the M340. Hopefully I like it as much as you do!
Congrats on the new car! Your comment made me chuckle because “fully loaded” for the F80 is still subpar to the tech on the G20 haha.
Appreciate 1
      10-11-2020, 10:03 PM   #7
Bimmers4life
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM340i View Post
Here is my experience with the F80 —> G20 transition (a lot of similarities with the OP):

G20 review
Looks
Outside:
I find the car looking great, nicely proportional and the Mineral Grey is excellent (and very underrated) on the G20. The front is a nice evolution from the F30. Initially, I was not sure about the rear, however, it looks modern and is nicely integrated. Overall, safe design, nice flow and proportions. Looks beautiful from the side view.
Inside
The inside again is a nice evolution of the previous design. Simple but driver oriented and functional. Basic spec (No premium or exec) of the features is more than enough. The technology is nicely integrated, I don’t see any glitches or issues and I like some improvements over the f30/80, for example auto folding mirrors option, sun roof cover (not a tech), more ADAS integrated, etc. Both, my F30 and F80 were pretty much loaded.
The base LED lights are good. I was concerned reading that they are weak, however, I don’t find them any different from my F80 icons.
The car is definitely an upgrade comfort-wise from the f30 MSport or F80. The seats are more comfortable, the noise is very isolated, no rattles (so far, 6 weeks into it), the cabin room increase is noticeable. I’ve had black leatherette in my e90, black leather in my e92, black leather in my 120d, coral red in f30, sakir orange in my f80 and now black leather in my g20 and feels like this leather is softest and of highest quality.
The noise isolation is...too much? Big difference when driving with open windows and closed. I’d like a little more noise but maybe I am just missing my f80...and still not pushing it over 4k (currently close to 1k miles).
Another step forward is how doors and trunk close. Much more luxurious feel and sound.

The B58 engine is great. Powerful, smooth, great sound. Very nicely mapped in stock form (comfort or sport). The 8AT is my first automatic car in 30+ years of driving. Well, second to be precise but the first one got me bored pretty quickly and lasted only 6-7 months. Now, I am close to 50, so, I think I am ready for it to do most of the work. The f80 6MT was excellent, I do miss it...just a little bit...
The B58 + 8ZF mate nicely, in every mode pretty much, comfort, sport, sport+. Well, Sport+ not sure yet. Drove it a few times but short because it holds the lower gear and begs to be pushed.
The weight gain is noticeable (as is the size gain), however, it also makes the chassis very stable. Looks like the engine and transmission are not bothered by a few extra pounds and move the car very quickly. The car does feel very fast although I’ve been keeping it under 4,000 rpm. But, I’ve done a few aggressive turns and this platform is definitely a huge step up over the f30 (not f80 though ).
Extremely well balanced.
I do find the standard suspension setup more than perfect. I’ve had adaptive suspension in my f80 and never used anything other than sport (a few times sport+). I don’t think I will be missing adaptive control...
The brakes are good. Initially feel grabby even coming off the f80. Feel adequate for the car.

Other
I’ve noticed that sensors are less sensitive - trunk opening with your foot under - most of the time nothing happens. Comfort unlock and lock is way less sensitive than with the F-series. I’ve had quite the opposite issues with my F80 trunk “opening by itself”, then I realized it would always happen when I walk by the trunk and trigger the sensor...

I am sure it will be more and more fun once I pass 1,200 miles mark however, this car is much closer to the F30 than the F80. And that is a good thing. Except for those that get confused by that badge on the trunk...
Nice write up! Not sure who told you there is a break-in service at 1200 miles on the M340i because there isn’t. That’s just for true M cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 08:08 AM   #8
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmers4life View Post
Nice write up! Not sure who told you there is a break-in service at 1200 miles on the M340i because there isn’t. That’s just for true M cars.
I meant the break-in period, not service.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 09:35 AM   #9
Bimmers4life
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM340i View Post
I meant the break-in period, not service.
Ah okay. I was careful with my F80 and kept the RPMs low for the first 1200 miles but I’m not too concerned with the G20. One it’s not an M car and two it’s a lease so I’m sure a few trips to redline won’t hurt anything.
Appreciate 1
DFW_M1638.50
      10-12-2020, 11:14 AM   #10
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 20' 330i & RX 350

Cool man. I totally understand not being able to really fully maximize performance and the lack of practicality - I used to daily drive an S2000, which only lasted about a year. Enjoy the 340i
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 12:15 PM   #11
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

sweet, enjoy the new 3er looks sharp

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 12:56 PM   #12
Bimmers4life
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeMan View Post
Cool man. I totally understand not being able to really fully maximize performance and the lack of practicality - I used to daily drive an S2000, which only lasted about a year. Enjoy the 340i
Thanks bro! S2K such a fun car but yeah not so much a daily driver.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 01:03 PM   #13
Bimmers4life
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
sweet, enjoy the new 3er looks sharp
Thank you. I really appreciate it!
Appreciate 1
GOLFFRR10710.50