Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Help! I'm having second thoughts about the M340i I ordered

03-25-2019, 06:00 PM   #67
mbanks21
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanks21 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Or buy it and enjoy the car until I find a replacement. Waiting for the g20 340 or new m3
Why would he do that when the other car has less than half the miles, for $14k LESS than the old car? Even better if it has a CPO warranty on it. And that's $14k BEFORE negotiations. Less miles, cheaper, probably a warranty... it's a no-brainer.
I never said he should do that, that's what I did
You presented an idea. I'm saying in his case, it's a bad idea. Give me your numbers and we can determine if you are losing more money than you should have.
I got $4k off my RV pretty sure I got a good deal
That all depends. OP would need $14k off to beat the deal on a different M4. Your $4k could still be less than the savings on a cpo car.
I was actually replying to the guy that told me to turn it in and not look back and I replayed or buy it and enjoy it until I find a suitable replacement
      03-25-2019, 06:05 PM   #68
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
I was actually replying to the guy that told me to turn it in and not look back and I replayed or buy it and enjoy it until I find a suitable replacement
It's still a bad idea for the OP.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2019, 10:22 PM   #69
Wineguy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M535,328i,328d,330i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
Awesome!!

- Portimao blue metallic
- 19" M Double-spoke jet black wheels, style 791M with all-season run-flat tire
(19x8.0, 225/40 R19)
-Executive pkg
-Premium pkg
-Cognac Vernasca Leather
-Harmon Kardon surround sound
-Adaptive M Suspension
-Driving assistance pkg
-remote start
-power tailgate
-Ambient lighting
- Interior trim finishers Aluminium 'Mesheffect‘
Price came in around 64k, and approximately 833/month, which isn’t too far off from my M4.

Right now it’s an emotional attachment with the M4, had some fun times in that car!

I test drove a 330i just to get a feel, acceleration was pretty snappy for a 4 cyl. I’m hoping that extra 100 ponies with torque closes the gap!
I’m hoping the same. My build is near identical to yours.My order doesn’t go in until May! They holding off on west coast orders? I haven’t been able to test drive a M330i even.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2019, 09:05 AM   #70
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wineguy View Post
Quote:
Awesome!!

- Portimao blue metallic
- 19" M Double-spoke jet black wheels, style 791M with all-season run-flat tire
(19x8.0, 225/40 R19)
-Executive pkg
-Premium pkg
-Cognac Vernasca Leather
-Harmon Kardon surround sound
-Adaptive M Suspension
-Driving assistance pkg
-remote start
-power tailgate
-Ambient lighting
- Interior trim finishers Aluminium 'Mesheffect‘
Price came in around 64k, and approximately 833/month, which isn’t too far off from my M4.

Right now it’s an emotional attachment with the M4, had some fun times in that car!

I test drove a 330i just to get a feel, acceleration was pretty snappy for a 4 cyl. I’m hoping that extra 100 ponies with torque closes the gap!
I’m hoping the same. My build is near identical to yours.My order doesn’t go in until May! They holding off on west coast orders? I haven’t been able to test drive a M330i even.
That's because that car doesn't exist!

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 3
Pauleebe379.50
alex23642846.50
      03-26-2019, 11:28 PM   #71
xsracer
Private
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
I’m 30 days away from the lease end date of my 2016 M4, and recently placed an order for an M340i.

Now I’m having remorse! I love the M4, but I need something more practical right now (ie AWD, etc...). Someone talk me off the emotional ledge!!

I’m having irrational thoughts of financing the M4, which is insane considering the true value is around 42k, and the buyout is around 57k!!

I know I know.. first world problems... I tell myself I’ll be in a better spot in 3 years to move back into an M. But it’s going to kill me seeing an M on the road while I’m rolling around in the M340
I'm at the end of lease for '16 m4 vert. Prior to that, I've had m sport 330. You cannot even compare. m sport package is exactly the same car as base model, with a few cosmetic changes. Same breaks, same suspension, etc. The only redeeming quality was m steering wheel, which was above and beyond regular base steering wheel.

It was 40% of M4 prices, so there's that.

I was considering saving money and going back to m package and just couldn't do it. Ended up with m3 cs, which came out cheaper than my current car. New m4 vert was about $100/mo more.
Appreciate 1
z335is354.00
      03-26-2019, 11:59 PM   #72
BimmerFix
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' M3 Competition RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsracer View Post
I'm at the end of lease for '16 m4 vert. Prior to that, I've had m sport 330. You cannot even compare. m sport package is exactly the same car as base model, with a few cosmetic changes. Same breaks, same suspension, etc. The only redeeming quality was m steering wheel, which was above and beyond regular base steering wheel.

It was 40% of M4 prices, so there's that.

I was considering saving money and going back to m package and just couldn't do it. Ended up with m3 cs, which came out cheaper than my current car. New m4 vert was about $100/mo more.
Congrats on the new ride. But you couldn't be more wrong on the M sport package. Besides the cosmetics it lowers the car by 10mm or so, and stiffens the suspension. And the brakes arent the same either , that too. Also Variable Sport Steering, unless that comes standard not sure. What year was your 330 , because when the F30 generation just came out, they all sucked. Suspension, steering was terrible, m sport or not , it was bad. But alot of those issues got fixed toward the end from like 2016 to now. For whats it worth I have an M4 zcp and my lease ends in June. Not trying to be rude mate, just saying
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 05:36 AM   #73
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Wait!! But you’re talking about m sport trim of the base?

I thought BMW’s direction with the Mxxx cars was to get “closer” to the performance of a full ///M? Something fun for normal daily driving???

Last edited by BigSky702; 03-27-2019 at 02:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 06:52 AM   #74
goodbyalfa
King of the North (living in the east...)
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i mineral white

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
Quote:
Quote:
This is not true. I bought my 2015 335 lease last month and got $4k off the original RV
That's good!

My dealer will need to knock off 17k ($58k residual) for me to feel comfortable. Especially when they have a 2016 alpine white on the lot, with 22k miles, going for $44k. I have about 46k on my odometer.
That just means you played the lease game exceptionally well. Turn it in and don't look back.
But it's in recession white...
2015 330D F30 MSport EBII
2012 Alfa Guilietta 2.0d Veloce
2009 Fiat bravo sport
2000 ST Mondeo
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 06:59 AM   #75
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Say it isn't so.... you don't really believe that. I could agree if you're comparing a jalopy with a v8 vs a solid car with a sweet 6 cylinder, but not a 3 series with an I6 vs a 3er with a 4-pot. If the I6 model was that much worse in some other aspect(s), I'd just move on to a different make. If I'm ever forced to consider a 4 cylinder for some reason, I'll get a Honda and be done with it.
It's so. I have always been appreciative of BMW 4 cylinder engines back to my E21. Lighter weight over the front end, and more than enough power for my driving environments. I prefer the steering and feel response difference than getting to the next red light a fraction of a second faster. I swapped out the LCAs in my 2, just to enhance that further, but no tunes for the engine wanted. Both of my current BMWs are 4 cylinder by choice, not by economic constraint. I never understood the thought that getting a 4 reduces the entire rest of the car to Honda level...heard that before on 2Addicts, and honestly think it's a very narrow point of view. A 4 clylinder BMW is the same car (or better in some ways) than a 6, except for being fractionally slower. With Sirius playing, I don't really care about exhaust sound differences anyway.

Whatever version of the new platform I wind up with, I'll be looking to balance power with the lighter weight front end again. Of course, a BEV i4 will do that very nicely! And, with all the good news here about the G20 fundamentals, that should set that up to be a great car!
For me, it's not about the acceleration of the I6 relative to the 4. The bmw 4s I've driven actually have plenty of torque and usable power to accelerate similarly in everyday driving. I don't race between lights, and never got into that kind of thing. The I6 does however feel smoother and more refined. The nature of its acceleration also feels more linear than the 4, even with forced induction. The 4s are very punchy, with a lot of low end torque, but tend to begin fizzling out when pressed. When pushing both engines a little, the difference becomes more apparent, with the 6 having plenty in reserve. I obviously don't press the car any where near its limit, since I value the lives of my passengers, self, and other motorists I share the street with, but it's nice to know that the power is there, and you can feel a difference while staying within the confines of the law as well.

To sum it up the I6 just feels more special. The 328/330i etc feels more like a nice car with a torquey, well designed engine, but nothing special to me. I realize that the car still handles much different than the typical fwd sedan. The 335/340i etc, though, offer a driving experience that, to me, feels further removed from the typical, current offerings.

Of course my post was partially in jest. I realize that I'm likely in the minority, and most people are happy with the 4, and might even seek it out for the favorable weight distribution. I'm just not there yet though.
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4605.50
      03-27-2019, 07:13 AM   #76
xsracer
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerFix View Post
Congrats on the new ride. But you couldn't be more wrong on the M sport package. Besides the cosmetics it lowers the car by 10mm or so, and stiffens the suspension. And the brakes arent the same either , that too. Also Variable Sport Steering, unless that comes standard not sure. What year was your 330 , because when the F30 generation just came out, they all sucked. Suspension, steering was terrible, m sport or not , it was bad. But alot of those issues got fixed toward the end from like 2016 to now. For whats it worth I have an M4 zcp and my lease ends in June. Not trying to be rude mate, just saying
Yes, you're right. Car was lower and had variable steering. Didn't think breaks or suspension were different. Yes, it was one of the first ones. I think '13.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 07:49 AM   #77
xsracer
Private
Rep

Quote:
but I need something more practical right now (ie AWD, etc...)
Another thing to add - if you're thinking about AWD for snow/ice (as opposite to better traction when cornering, etc), watch some videos. RWD car with dedicated snow tires will beat AWD with summer tires (and all season tires just suck at everything). Get another set of wheels - as small as you can to fit the breaks, and narrow square tires set up.

Even for my wife's Macan I had to get dedicated snow wheel set - awd or not, couldn't go up the hill when it snowed.
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4605.50
      03-27-2019, 10:04 AM   #78
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsracer View Post
Another thing to add - if you're thinking about AWD for snow/ice (as opposite to better traction when cornering, etc), watch some videos. RWD car with dedicated snow tires will beat AWD with summer tires (and all season tires just suck at everything). Get another set of wheels - as small as you can to fit the breaks, and narrow square tires set up.

Even for my wife's Macan I had to get dedicated snow wheel set - awd or not, couldn't go up the hill when it snowed.
You're correct! I bought the OEM 640M winter tires (which I put up for sale ), and this car handled better than my AWD Infiniti Q50 (that POS went right back!), and my wife's AWD lexus with all seasons! I was surprised at how well it handled for RWD. I imagine actual SNOW tires it would have been pretty damn stable!

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2019, 10:43 AM   #79
z335is
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I would never pay M money for a non-M (which is where the M340 is starting to creep at this point). That said, if you are getting it at a great discount, then I'm sure it will be a fun ride. Just don't trick yourself in to thinking it will better than an F8x (or heck even an e9x M3), because it won't.

BMW will not cannabalize current M4 sales by making the M340 a better performer, just like every previous generation...
Appreciate 1
jmg18493.00
      03-27-2019, 02:10 PM   #80
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Wait!! But you’re talking about m sport trim of the base?

I thought BMW’s direction with the Mxxx cars was to get “closer” to they performance of a full ///M? Something fun for normal daily driving???
BMWs direction with the Mxxx cars was to copy the Mercedes way of slapping AMG on everything. It is working well for Mercedes.

Any car can be fun for normal driving. The old mantra about driving a slow car fast vs fast car slow is so much relevant with these 350+ hp cars. I still feel my MT r56 Cooper S was the most fun car I've ever owned. The vast majority of people with M cars can't even use 70% of their cars performance on a track, and that percentage is a lot lower for legal street driving.

My suggestion is to find another f8x to get into until the g8x comes out and then you can test drive them both to see what you truly want. You don't want to be seen as the guy that had to downgrade because they couldn't afford an M would you??? (a joke, but I'm sure we all know that some people would over extend to not be seen that way)
Appreciate 2
jmg18493.00
      03-27-2019, 11:32 PM   #81
BimmerFix
Major
Rep
Drives: 24' M3 Competition RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by z335is View Post
I would never pay M money for a non-M (which is where the M340 is starting to creep at this point). That said, if you are getting it at a great discount, then I'm sure it will be a fun ride. Just don't trick yourself in to thinking it will better than an F8x (or heck even an e9x M3), because it won't.

BMW will not cannabalize current M4 sales by making the M340 a better performer, just like every previous generation...
M340 outperforms e90 M3 and damn near close to the current M4. And at the race track obviously a bigger difference I get it, but It's just an M jesus, people need to really get of their high horse. Your driving an M3 thats based off a 3 series. This aint no 911 GT3. I agree it is expensive, but it's a brand new model, generation, tech. I rather drive a M340 new generation car then a 2016 m3 next year , when the G80 M3 comes out. Shit I would hate to still be paying for my M when the new bodys come out. And one rolls right next to me. Ohh the horror : And prices will normalize eventually... shit im paying $1k monthly for my M . Now everyone and their grandmother has one for $750-800 a month.
      03-28-2019, 03:27 AM   #82
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerFix View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by z335is View Post

M340 outperforms e90 M3 and damn near close to the current M4. And at the race track obviously a bigger difference I get it, but It's just an M jesus, people need to really get of their high horse. Your driving an M3 thats based off a 3 series. This aint no 911 GT3. I agree it is expensive, but it's a brand new model, generation, tech. I rather drive a M340 new generation car then a 2016 m3 next year , when the G80 M3 comes out. Shit I would hate to still be paying for my M when the new bodys come out. And one rolls right next to me. Ohh the horror : And prices will normalize eventually... shit im paying $1k monthly for my M . Now everyone and their grandmother has one for $750-800 a month.
The M340i isn't even out yet nor has it been tested. It's fast to 60 because it has AWD which means it might also tend to understeer. Time will tell if the xDrive has been properly setup for comfort and safety or performance (and somewhere in between). Your F82 still has more power, more torque, purposed suspension, and either weighs the same or less than the M340i which has more traction, updates looks, suspension (biased towards comfort than performance) a digital cluster, updated interior, iDrive and that parking assist thing. The F82 will be able to brake later, take turns faster, hit higher speeds sooner. The M340i will be able to get on the throttle a split second sooner. These are different cars for different purposes. For me, I'd rather wait for the G80, but I'll be eagerly waiting for what the M340i will bring because it will only mean the G80 will be that much better.

As a side note, the "M" doesn't mean anything to me, it's about the car. The M in front of the M340i doesn't make it any more or less of an M car with or without it. A true M car isn't just about 0-60. It's purpose built with a wider track, lightweight components like aluminum panels, carbon fiber roof and sometimes a cf hood, an S Engine that doesn't just add power, but makes it robust for the stresses of continued high performance use... its not just a N55 or B58 with a tune, it's so much more.

The M high horse applies to the M340i as well. If the M3/4 aren't anything special, then the M340i is even less special. And for the record, I'd rather be driving the slower E30 M3 than any non-M car.

Appreciate 1
      03-28-2019, 10:24 PM   #83
blinkme323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Two different cars for two different purposes... The M340 is no different than the 340 and 335 that came before it. In other words - the S4 to the A4 or the C43 to the C300.

It will be a fine car by any measure, but one that also won't be confused for the M cars that came before or after it (which again, isn't the intent).

It's not for me personally, but I'll definitely enjoy reading up on them and seeing them on the road