Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Official TV Commercial for the 2019 BMW 3 Series (G20)

03-02-2019, 01:32 PM   #111
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
im technically a millennial by about two weeks .

I do feel like a grumpy old man but BMW needs to move units to this demographic I don't understand at all. I've had enough young under 30 co-workers who have bought 440is and m cars with " powerul v6s" to know that that commerical will no doubt somehow reach them and get their money and help pay for the cars ultimately we want. it doesn't matter if they can't drive at all, we need their money for r&d just like 911 drivers need those cayenne buyers
I don't have a problem with that inferred strategy nor the younger target to sustain and grow the brand. It's just really poor creative IMHO, unless BMWNA can show me market research that demonstrates that after viewing this spot, the target is more likely to consider the brand.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 01:58 PM   #112
Hellrot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
im technically a millennial by about two weeks .

I do feel like a grumpy old man but BMW needs to move units to this demographic I don't understand at all. I've had enough young under 30 co-workers who have bought 440is and m cars with " powerul v6s" to know that that commerical will no doubt somehow reach them and get their money and help pay for the cars ultimately we want. it doesn't matter if they can't drive at all, we need their money for r&d just like 911 drivers need those cayenne buyers
I don't have a problem with that inferred strategy nor the younger target to sustain and grow the brand. It's just really poor creative IMHO, unless BMWNA can show me market research that demonstrates that after viewing this spot, the target is more likely to consider the brand.
Why is it not creative?

Millennials like to travel and explore and they like experiences, they also like to make their own experiences and not be told directly how a brand should make them feel.

The visuals in the add convey the "feeling" of having a bmw; nimble, free and unique.

As an example the parking assistant is dancing because it represents the feeling of not having to worry about finding parking.

The fact that it doesn't feel like a "traditional" Bmw message, to us, is case in point that the advertising agency knows how to market towards younger buyers.
Appreciate 1
Ilyam5888.50
      03-02-2019, 02:16 PM   #113
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

Merely alienating car enthusiast does no mean you are reaching hipsters. Being different for the sake of being different is not the solution. You can easily show G20 carving the canyon Carplay interfacing with Siri.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 03:25 PM   #114
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellrot View Post
Why is it not creative?

Millennials like to travel and explore and they like experiences, they also like to make their own experiences and not be told directly how a brand should make them feel.

The visuals in the add convey the "feeling" of having a bmw; nimble, free and unique.

As an example the parking assistant is dancing because it represents the feeling of not having to worry about finding parking.

The fact that it doesn't feel like a "traditional" Bmw message, to us, is case in point that the advertising agency knows how to market towards younger buyers.
To clarify, I am not saying it is not creative. "Good creative" or "poor creative" are terms of art in advertising addressing delivering the strategic message. I am challenging the quality of the creative work. Imagine an XY graph with the axes being degree of creativity and quality of creativity. The goal is the upper right quadrant, but my opinion is that this one lays flat on quality, defined as supporting the brand and model positioning strategy.

BMW's USP in the market, as we all know, is positioned on the driving experience. They are free to reposition the brand as they wish, with attendant risks/benefits, but they haven't done that in marketing materials/campaigns in recent history. The previous launch of the 2 Series was based on resurrecting the imagery of the old 2002 models. This current spot is off-strategy for the brand, focusing more on "lifestyle/tech"...would work well for Lexus's outreach to younger prospects. Our segmentation work demonstrates that there continues to be a clear group among younger buyers for whom driving experience is the dominant motivation in choosing a vehicle. Not all Millenials have a monolithic set of attitudes/wants/needs and more than Boomers or Gen Xers did. There is diversity in each generation and BMW seems to have erroneously lumped all together simply based on their age, and may be missing their prime target.

For BMW, wandering off the brand strategy with the low leverage media budget of just launching the 3, has risks of not attracting those who really want the attributes historically dominated by BMW, with its pros/cons as a vehicle, but also trying and failing to attract those who resonate with the "lifestyle/tech" position and find other cars that do this even better and are more satisfying overall for their wants and needs. The only important outcome is first choice preference in the vehicle selection...every other brand loses the sale equally. I find a mis-alignment between brand position, vehicle position, and marketing message. I guess we'll see how this works out...
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 05:16 PM   #115
Aspen78
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW ‘19 330i xDrive MSpo

No offense but who watches commercials, anymore? Never seen a BMW commercial in my life.

I’m 40, this will be our 4th BMW. My generation does not make purchases based on commercials. It’s sites like this that we read to make informed decisions plus YouTube!
Appreciate 1
G80indy1710.00
      03-02-2019, 09:54 PM   #116
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Yes, that could be done, and if the advertising neither gained nor lost credibility/persuasiveness, the ad was ineffective at its primary task. Marketers understand the concept of USP - unique selling proposition - the reason the product exists that makes it different from existing products and able to gain consumer consideration. If you feel Galaxy and iPhones are completely fungible, without their own USP, one of them has a flawed business case and can eventually lose share/volume/profitability due to something as simple as price competition if there is no reason for the product to exist alongside its competitor. If each of the products does have a USP which distinguishes them (as I believe each one does), then your hypothetical advertisement is simply poorly conceived and the creative is not on strategy.
i dont genuinely think each has a unique selling point to be honest. i think cars really are going down this route and as time goes on and platform sharing becomes more widespread its going to get worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
I am sorry you wear skinny jeans.
when you have calves like mine, you defs need to show them off

Quote:
This ad does not appeal to the masses. Only those who wear skinny jeans think this is for the masses
brb, yawning

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
Nah my script was better than yours. Mine was hopeful and inspiring to do something with your life. Yours is just bitter.
I told you last time to GFY and you were gone for a week. Do us a favor, GFY again for a week
i was gone for a week? what do you live on here? i genuinely reckon i feel sorry for you.

Quote:
"Am I right"
thanks dude, at least someone here knows whats up

Quote:
Thanks, but seriously? What language is that? And how does it come in "brief" size? If that is what he thought he wrote, the answer is, "No"!
you feel the need to spell out USP for me but dont know what a brief is?

Quote:
It's just contemporary slang.

I believe the original comment was referring to a design brief (or pitch) the marketing team would make to BMW execs.

We are too far down the rabbit hole though. If you don't like the commercial that's ok.
again, thanks dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra86 View Post
I found this video ! bmw aren't faking the noise, it's not loud like in the ad, but similar.
yeah sweet, i didnt mean it was faked, just amplified i guess
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 10:18 PM   #117
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep

You just wish you looked like Conan.
Attached Images

03-02-2019, 11:01 PM   #118
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherweeeny View Post
you feel the need to spell out USP for me but dont know what a brief is?
I have written many and, later on, approved many other marketing briefs, if that is to what your original statement referred. A string of words ending in whatever "amirite" meant was supposed to clearly communicate to the breadth of forum audience?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 11:16 PM   #119
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherweeeny View Post
i dont genuinely think each has a unique selling point to be honest. i think cars really are going down this route and as time goes on and platform sharing becomes more widespread its going to get worse
Although I was referring to your example about cell phones, your concern is warranted when different OEMs cooperate. For example, BMW must have identified that risk with the new Z4 versus the new Supra and is attempting to differentiate these siblings as much as they can with other attributes. Same with Mazda Miata and Fiat Spyder. However, for primary platform high-volume products that are not shared, a successful brand needs to maintain its differentiation. If this withers away, some brands may lose share and volume as price competition eventually dominates undifferentiated competitors. I believe BMW will work to recover their overall product-based brand strength, as shown by the 2 Series and early reviews of the new 3 versus the prior decade or so when they seemed to wander....this launch advertising campaign notwithstanding.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 12:19 AM   #120
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
You just wish you looked like Conan.
lol yeah erm maybe not

Quote:
Although I was referring to your example about cell phones, your concern is warranted when different OEMs cooperate. For example, BMW must have identified that risk with the new Z4 versus the new Supra and is attempting to differentiate these siblings as much as they can with other attributes. Same with Mazda Miata and Fiat Spyder. However, for primary platform high-volume products that are not shared, a successful brand needs to maintain its differentiation. If this withers away, some brands may lose share and volume as price competition eventually dominates undifferentiated competitors. I believe BMW will work to recover their overall product-based brand strength, as shown by the 2 Series and early reviews of the new 3 versus the prior decade or so when they seemed to wander....this launch advertising campaign notwithstanding.
yeah, its not just shared platform cars though. for example 20 years ago, a 328 and an S4 felt completely different. today the 340 and the S4 have the same gearbox, engines with stupidly similar characteristics and noise, similar adjustable suspension but just not similar steering

you have to concentrate to tell them apart at times
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 01:43 PM   #121
ghaffari46
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 e90

Do they think anyone gonna buy a car based on this stupid add??
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 05:02 PM   #122
Hellrot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD18 View Post
Whats been your favourite BMW commercial that you remember?

I thought this one was a good one

Not really a commercial? But "The Hire" absolutely got me to buy a BMW, even if it was years after seeing it.

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 10:06 PM   #123
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep

Those are some of the best commercials.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 06:52 PM   #124
StBlGT
Rep
Drives: Pontiac G8 GT

I just watched the X7 commercial with the train, and i thought that was bad. Whoa! This is a whole new level of bad...like bad!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 10:01 PM   #125
rjmdubois
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW 328, BMW 530e

If you decide to copycat, at least choose someone who is gaining market share.

The Tech-oriented Millennials usually favor Android, yet BMW is the only mainstream that doesn´t support Android Auto.
Appreciate 1
MT4life575.50
      03-11-2019, 10:04 PM   #126
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep

Agreed, they need Android Auto support. No good reason not to.
Appreciate 0