Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan /G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Help! I'm having second thoughts about the M340i I ordered

Today, 04:56 PM   #45
Ilyam5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...ve-track-test/
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:28 PM   #46
BigSky702
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
.... Notice the photo you posted doesn't mention "racetrack" on the M Performance Automobiles?
Well played!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Touché!

Near Future: 2020 M340i

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:16 PM   #47
jmg
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 CS, I01 i3 REx LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
I've read this article before. Some interesting take-away:

Quote:
The long straight-six takes up some of the space required by the new dual-pinion electrically assisted power-steering rack used in the four-cylinder 330i, so the M340i uses the old ZF APA-style rack from the last-generation F30-chassis 3-series, and the difference is immediately obvious. Though I was cautioned that some of what I felt could have been attributed to high tire temperatures from track driving (the M340i prototypes weren’t legal to drive on the street), I immediately noticed some of the on-center vagueness that plagued the last-generation car but not the new 330i. Let’s hope the hot tires were indeed responsible.
I hope it's the tires too, and I wonder how the G80 will be solving this problem. Hopefully not with the F30 rack.

Quote:
That it’s capable enough to (almost) keep up with an M2 Competition around the track means this non-M M340i has what it takes to keep track-rat enthusiasts happy.
That's good news, especially for the G80 which should be a beast given how well the M340i has already started to prove.
Previous: F80 M3 • I01 i3 REx • F30 340i M Sport ZTR • F30 328i Sport • Audi B7 S4 25Quattro #33 of 250
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:48 PM   #48
Sportstick
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '18 330i GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
I've read this article before. Some interesting take-away:

I hope it's the tires too, and I wonder how the G80 will be solving this problem. Hopefully not with the F30 rack.

That's good news, especially for the G80 which should be a beast given how well the M340i has already started to prove.
If I don't wind up with an i4 or new 4 GC PHEV/BEV (whenever that finally launches), this definitely confirms getting the 4 cylinder if ICE only. I much more value steering response and feel to the extra cylinders.

2015 VO 228i 6MT/Track Handling Pkg/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance Pkgs/BBS SR Wheels/Michelin AS3/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Kidney Grilles/Xpel Ultimate/OptiCoat Pro
2018 Alpine White 330Xi GT - 100% Stock
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:44 PM   #49
RdeejaysM4
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
I’m 30 days away from the lease end date of my 2016 M4, and recently placed an order for an M340i.

Now I’m having remorse! I love the M4, but I need something more practical right now (ie AWD, etc...). Someone talk me off the emotional ledge!!

I’m having irrational thoughts of financing the M4, which is insane considering the true value is around 42k, and the buyout is around 57k!!

I know I know.. first world problems... I tell myself I’ll be in a better spot in 3 years to move back into an M. But it’s going to kill me seeing an M on the road while I’m rolling around in the M340
I brought my F83 from Germany that I bought there (Military sales) had it there over a year..loved the roads in Europe. Brought it to the US (Virginia to be specific) and sold it within 10 months. Roads here suck, can't drive it like it's meant to be driven (legally, like Germany). I'm miss it trust me but tell myself it was meant for Germany. I'm leaving towards the M340 but not until I test drive it for sure. Not sure if any of my ranting helped lol...good luck!
Appreciate 0