Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions G20 3 Series begins production in Mexico

Closed Thread

10-07-2018, 02:20 AM   #67
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

It was actually made 2 days ago, but paint inspection just finished.

10-07-2018, 02:31 AM   #68
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Every BMW I've owned starting from an e21 316 has been built in Germany except for one of my E36s. That was my worst BMW quality wise. Lack of euro delivery is also the reason I've not yet owned an X series. Nothing against Mexico but I prefer my German cars to be assembled in Germany and the whole euro delivery experience is always a highlight.
FYI. You can do ED on X1 and X2s. Both are made in Europe where European cars should be made.
Do you realize that BMW has been manufacturing vehicles outside "Europe" since 1973?
Ohh yeah I realize. I just wouldn't consider buying/leasing any of them. No ED no Dice at this point.

I'm not just targeting Mexico and wouldn't accept China or Indian made BMWs either.

Joe Schmo 3 series Car buyer only cares about the Roundel so it won't hurt sales

Yes I'll be voting with my wallet.
Appreciate 1
BMWKLR142.50
      10-07-2018, 03:39 AM   #69
nemex12
Captain
Rep
Drives: e60,z4

Hahahah google Montagsauto and you´ll thank that your car is made in Mexico instead of being made in a monday here in Germany prost!
      10-07-2018, 03:41 AM   #70
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
AMG manufactured across the pond, "M" division I expect the same. The rest of the Bimmer lineup doesn't really interest me
C63 sedan and all the AMG SUVs are made in Alabama. And GLC production for the US is moving to India too.
Don't particularly care where the SUV's are assembled, According to your claim that C63's are built in Alabama...Shameful.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 03:42 AM   #71
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MD View Post
Quote:
Japanese have amazing work ethic, no comparison.

interesting insight there
Making a comparison and stating the obvious, really outlandish
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 04:21 AM   #72
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegraXTR View Post
Coke drinks made in Mexico sure tastes a lot better than the states =)
Because they use Cane Sugar and not high fructose corn syrup, they are one of the small designated Coca-Cola bottlers to make it in small quantities/batches.

Just so you know Coca-Cola is the only American company legally allowed to bring a small quantity of cocaine into the U.S. for their original formula.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 05:01 AM   #73
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Quote:
VW's made in Mexico have been pretty much garbage. Better not be manufacturing "M's" there, if so...Hasta Luego BMW.
I'm here sticking up for all of us BMW enthusiasts and also sticking up for American jobs such as the South Carolina BMW plant workers. I'm assuming we all are interested and if your are capable enough to purchase one, the reason is because they are of a certain elk. Yes we live in a ever increasing global marketplace and I totally get that, BUT once anything gets "farmed out" it is never ever the same and that's with all products, it's quite sad actually. Made in the USA, Made in Germany, Made in Italy, Made in Japan, Made in Canada all meant something and still does mean something.

I stand by my statements and will NEVER yield! Because I want to see manufacturing stay and come back to United States!

Not everyone can afford and M car, not everyone wants one, not everyone needs one. But this is to me the essence of BMW and always has been. And I particularly want it to stay that way, because I hold them to a higher standard than other brands as we all should, and they should hold themselves to a higher standard as well.

Appreciate 1
DML967.50
      10-07-2018, 06:22 AM   #74
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
South Africa F30s have better reliability and build quality than German F30s so for everyone crying out G20s built in Mexico, you should ask why German F30s aren't as good as South Africa.
Up until your post, about 1 person talked negatively about a Mexican made BMW.

In any case, looking forward to the big price drops now that they are made in Mexico. #sarcasm
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 06:26 AM   #75
trey100
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
Quote:
VW's made in Mexico have been pretty much garbage. Better not be manufacturing "M's" there, if so...Hasta Luego BMW.
I'm here sticking up for all of us BMW enthusiasts and also sticking up for American jobs such as the South Carolina BMW plant workers. I'm assuming we all are interested and if your are capable enough to purchase one, the reason is because they are of a certain elk. Yes we live in a ever increasing global marketplace and I totally get that, BUT once anything gets "farmed out" it is never ever the same and that's with all products, it's quite sad actually. Made in the USA, Made in Germany, Made in Italy, Made in Japan, Made in Canada all meant something and still does mean something.

I stand by my statements and will NEVER yield! Because I want to see manufacturing stay and come back to United States!

Not everyone can afford and M car, not everyone wants one, not everyone needs one. But this is to me the essence of BMW and always has been. And I particularly want it to stay that way, because I hold them to a higher standard than other brands as we all should, and they should hold themselves to a higher standard as well.

I'm with you on this for the most part. It's silly to think people don't want to see people in their own country do better. Good thing is part of the new "NAFTA" is a higher minimum wage for all automotive workers so at least the standard wage is more competitive now.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 06:32 AM   #76
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
I'm gonna get a Mexican Bimmer ... and you know who's gonna pay for it .... Mexicooo
Appreciate 3
      10-07-2018, 06:46 AM   #77
blue dragon
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 Tesla MY + '23 Tesla MY

BMW made in Mexico, now I won't be able to track the WW ship across the Atlantic.
      10-07-2018, 07:54 AM   #78
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustChris View Post
It was actually made 2 days ago, but paint inspection just finished.

Will still have orange peel.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 08:13 AM   #79
sahajesh
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 X5 40i Tanzanite Blue

Quote:
It's an extremely sad day in the automotive industry to see Bavarian Motor Works (BMW) bred & butter iconic 3 Series now being made in Mexico for the North American marketplace!

BMW could and should have expanded their U.S. South Carolina manufacturing plant!
I never knew what BMW stood for until now Of course the cost to retool the Spartanburg plant and that the overall South American market would be better served by an MX plant didn't come into things?

I don't know for a fact but they seem like sensible reasons.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 08:34 AM   #80
BMW M Power Mexico
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E60M5,E821M,F15X5V8

Quote:
If you're in the North American Marketplace (United States and Canada) like me, I'm sure you're NOT thrilled to hear about the unexpected news about our beloved 3 Series being manufactured in Mexico - not in Germany, not in South Carolina U.S.A, but in Mexico where everything goes to die. Once anything is farmed out to China or Mexico it, without fail, goes to SHIT. I've seen this happen with so many iconic brands that once manufactured great products only to see their products turn into total CRAP.

I was very leery when BMW first started manufacturing cars in the United States in South Carolina. It took them a while to get up to snuff, but now it's on par with Germany. The fit and finish and build quality have gone up drastically, and there's a culture of pride for the vehicles they produce that wasn't originally there. But once manufacturing is farmed-out south of the border, I guarantee build quality will go south with it. It is all about saving costs, which will not be passed on to us customers and BMW enthusiasts.

I feel manufacturing the cars in Mexico is total sacrilege, and I don't care about tariffs and what not. The whole point of wanting to buy, own and drive a BMW is because of it's German heritage, German design and of meticulous German manufacturing. It's part of the BMW mystique and what we, as customers, are paying a premium for. German Engineering and German Build Quality mean something! It makes a statement and that is what you are paying for. After all it is THE car that has set the high standards that every other car manufacture tries to follow regarding luxury, sportiness, and build quality – they don't call a BMW "The Ultimate Driving Machine" for nothing.

If you are a lover of the iconic BMW 3 Series that has been the benchmark for sporting sedans of the automotive industry for decades, then call BMW of North America's Headquarters in New Jersey at 1(800) 831-1117 ex 5819 and speak to the Head of Customer Service to voice your honest opinions, concerns, and feelings about your favorite auto brand making a terrible decision that may destroy the reputation of the brand and diminish the value of our cars.

Yours truly,
DCG
Wow. A post full of prejudice shrouded in "reasonableness".

a) Mexico is part of North America. Look at a map.
b) Mexico is far from "where everything goes to die". It's one of the top 11-13 economies in the world, notwithstanding your opinion. That is a fact.
c) Somehow you feel that US workers in Alabama are capable of meeting German standards but Mexican workers aren't. Based on nothing but your individual prejudice.
Appreciate 13
Simple1133.50
530iDriver1707.50
Roundown575.50
HSF87ZED228.00
beto_L.A.343.00
TopgearLA119.50
Miata1385.50
Igor_M52129.00
Omar8178.00
duky1313.00
      10-07-2018, 08:40 AM   #81
BMWKLR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white m235 cp RED w/gray pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
Ohh yeah I realize. I just wouldn't consider buying/leasing any of them. No ED no Dice at this point.

I'm not just targeting Mexico and wouldn't accept China or Indian made BMWs either.

Joe Schmo 3 series Car buyer only cares about the Roundel so it won't hurt sales

Yes I'll be voting with my wallet.
Vote with your wallet!!!! Its all they understand.
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2018, 08:46 AM   #82
marcva
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmee150 View Post
They do have to make it over that yhhuuuge wall though.
They can come as long as they document that they have a job at home paying at least $16 US per hour.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 08:52 AM   #83
xantdieselx
Kingslayer
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23' M3 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmee150 View Post
My prior Golf GTI was made in Mexico and it had a ton of issues. Granted my USA made X3 already has a ton of rattles. Actually my German made F80 also creaks like an old wooden ship.
Had a German built MK6 trust me the quality was not much better. I didn't even get it home from the dealer before I had my first issue.

Previous Cars: 2008' 135i, 2010' 328i, 2013' 328i, 2016' M235i, 2017' X1, 2019' M240i
Current Cars: 2019' X3, 2021' M3 Comp
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 09:12 AM   #84
mecheng77
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i / 2014 M235i

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
It's not so much the assembly I would be worried about it is the parts supply. More stuff will be sourced from Mexico compared to Germany not just for NAFTA reasons but for shipping costs as well. The Mexican steel making is not up to par with other countries, and yes I doubt the quality control for ppl making $4/hr at the tier 1,2 suppliers will be up to par. When vw started making cars in Mexico in the 90s, the quality was terrible, rusted like crazy and fell apart.

I would trust Made in Canada, USA, or Germany but they chose the lowest cost for a luxury brand, that will tarnish their image.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 09:25 AM   #85
stvding
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix

Everyone seems okay with BMW made in Mexico but got triggered when they learnt some made in Chinese plant would ship to western countries?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 09:26 AM   #86
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Since I keep my cars longer than 5 years it’s always important to me that the dealer gives me the original window sticker. I still have them from my last 2 BMW’s and there is something about seeing “Made in Germany” on a BMW sticker. That’s all I’ll say about this...
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 09:32 AM   #87
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

I’m not really worried too much of the actual quality since most of it will be done by automation and I’m still going to buy one.

That said, I’m not going to be anti Mexican here because my thoughts would be the same about Canada but it’s beyond insane for the US to allow this. Since most will be sold into the US market, they should be made in the US if not in Germany. And it’s not just BMW, the US has lost tons of jobs and closed tons of factories thanks to the insanity of nafta.

Anyways, does this include ALL 3 series including the M340?

Is it true that the actual manufacturing will be in Germany but only paint and assembly will be done in Mexico?

Is this the end of European Delivery for the 3 series or will Germany make a version too?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 09:32 AM   #88
KK1
Rep
Drives: 328 E92

Crappy news. May look at new c-class in couple of years instead, don't think Mexican plant will have ironed out the assembly line hickups by then... even bigger shame is the low drag coefficient on the G20, stiffer chassis, lighter car, new suspension design, higher power output of the 330i, all combined high quality German engineering then potentially spoiled for the first couple of years by poor assembly. We'll have to wait and see the reaction of first owners not from the onset at 1-2k kms, but more around the 20-30k kms
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread