Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Official TV Commercial for the 2019 BMW 3 Series (G20)

02-28-2019, 05:11 PM   #89
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Boring. Couldn't watch the whole thing.
      02-28-2019, 08:37 PM   #90
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
Umm, horrible!
No target audience has been shown anywhere
Very gender fluid, safe, every race included just in case, typical BS
None of those people in the commercial drive BMW
so youre saying by trying to appeal to the masses, they are literally failing at appealing to the masses for their bread and butter vehicle? alright then...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 08:40 PM   #91
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
I don't see age-based anger. I see perhaps one of the worst automotive TV launch spots I can recall. Having managed advertising, I see a creative director who ran roughshod over the strategic planner, as I find no clear message element, so evidence of satisftying an unmet need, nor any other basics in Advertising 101, before art directors run rampant. Try this test...imagine almost any other "contemporary" new car in the spot instead of the 3 Series. Is the spot as credible/persuasive/compelling...no more/no less? If so, it's bad advertising, per se. Good creative that is on-strategy should be specific to the brand. If you think back to when BMW strongly promoted the Ultimate Driving Machine in copy and art, you wouldn't find it credible with a Buick in the spot instead.
yeah but you could also stick a galaxy in place of an iphone in an apple ad and say the same thing. their message is that theyre still hip and cool and in touch with being fun and mobile isnt it?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 08:42 PM   #92
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM1123 View Post
I was 99% sure it was an Apple Airpod commercial during the first 10 seconds. I guess they're going after the same demographic.

At :46 the exhaust note is clearly from a B58 but they're driving a 330i, although that's the kinda thing only forum nerds will notice.
idk dude, sounded like the b48 noise expelled by the interior speakers to me
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 08:50 PM   #93
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
They don't want to buy cars anymore especially a BMW 3 series, they are spending their money on experiences, Tesla and Kombucha. BMW needs to bring back the customers who actually have money to spend.

Trust me, tech people are not impressed with BMW's "tech". We don't even have Android Auto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
Exactly, missed to deliver the message to those who actually buy BMW and not going to touch hipsters with airpods, Uber shortcuts, skinny jeans and bus passes
i wear skinny jeans and am into tech and have money to spend on a BMW but im glad you two old men are delegating to their marketing team.

maybe they need two manual base models being driven sedately through a mountain pass and then the scene at the end should be two old boys getting out complaining about their lower backs. im sure theyll really smash their brief amirite
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 10:59 PM   #94
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherweeeny View Post
yeah but you could also stick a galaxy in place of an iphone in an apple ad and say the same thing. their message is that theyre still hip and cool and in touch with being fun and mobile isnt it?
Yes, that could be done, and if the advertising neither gained nor lost credibility/persuasiveness, the ad was ineffective at its primary task. Marketers understand the concept of USP - unique selling proposition - the reason the product exists that makes it different from existing products and able to gain consumer consideration. If you feel Galaxy and iPhones are completely fungible, without their own USP, one of them has a flawed business case and can eventually lose share/volume/profitability due to something as simple as price competition if there is no reason for the product to exist alongside its competitor. If each of the products does have a USP which distinguishes them (as I believe each one does), then your hypothetical advertisement is simply poorly conceived and the creative is not on strategy.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 02-28-2019 at 11:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 11:01 PM   #95
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

This settles it. BMW is soooo hip!!

02-28-2019, 11:07 PM   #96
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

Quote:
i wear skinny jeans and am into tech and have money to spend on a BMW but im glad you two old men are delegating to their marketing team.

maybe they need two manual base models being driven sedately through a mountain pass and then the scene at the end should be two old boys getting out complaining about their lower backs. im sure theyll really smash their brief amirite
I am sorry you wear skinny jeans.
Appreciate 2
AD18347.50
greekcs773.00
      02-28-2019, 11:09 PM   #97
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

Quote:
so youre saying by trying to appeal to the masses, they are literally failing at appealing to the masses for their bread and butter vehicle? alright then...
This ad does not appeal to the masses. Only those who wear skinny jeans think this is for the masses
Appreciate 1
AD18347.50
      02-28-2019, 11:17 PM   #98
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
im sure theyll really smash their brief amirite
Quote:
This ad does not appeal to the masses. Only those who wear skinny jeans think this is for the masses
The heck with the jeans...what is an "amirite" and do they actually come in sizes...brief vs. long?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 11:33 PM   #99
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US

Quote:

Nah my script was better than yours. Mine was hopeful and inspiring to do something with your life. Yours is just bitter.
I told you last time to GFY and you were gone for a week. Do us a favor, GFY again for a week
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 07:55 AM   #100
Dinh335
Major
Rep
Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3/2017 X5 35i

Just needs a shot of a Peloton machine in the middle of a living room by a waterfall and it'd be perfect
      03-01-2019, 09:00 AM   #101
Hellrot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X4Wheelman View Post
Not sure who the target audience is but it isn't me.
You are correct.

This add is literally for nobody empowered enough to be on a BMW forum.

I can guess that nobody here bought a BMW because of any BMW commercial.

This add is for young people considering other cars like Tesla, who BMW needs to attract for future business.

Everyone in this thread sounds like a bunch of grumpy old men.

With that said, the commercial does suck, lol.
Appreciate 1
hans007604.50
      03-01-2019, 09:28 AM   #102
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

I originally had the same thought as most people here - is it really BMW commercial?

But my 17 year old daughter (who grew up on the tracks and driving in manual cars with me) - actually liked it.

She says it is a smart move by BMW to appeal to different people and groups and instead of showing tight fisted /tire spinning stunts - this one portrays how the car makes you feel

- light on its feet
- agile and elegant
- intuitive to work with with all the technology
- it makes you smile and relax and enjoy the ride

If i look at it in that light - i can definitely see her point.

But I must be getting old - i still see the BMW as a race car for the street - so for the rest of us (old and grumpy BMW drivers) - there is M town

Appreciate 2
Mii387.50
      03-01-2019, 09:45 AM   #103
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellrot View Post

Everyone? I guess if insight, analysis, and critical thinking are assigned to the "old", I'll gladly take that ageism! How do the "young" folks feel about that?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 11:18 AM   #104
Hellrot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
im sure theyll really smash their brief amirite
Quote:
The heck with the jeans...what is an "amirite" and do they actually come in sizes...brief vs. long?
"Am I right"
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 11:21 AM   #105
Hellrot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Everyone? I guess if insight, analysis, and critical thinking are assigned to the "old", I'll gladly take that ageism! How do the "young" folks feel about that?
This add even pokes fun of that demographic. Look at the guy on the pay phone, in the BACKGROUND lol.

She's too cool to even notice the past and old technology.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 11:36 AM   #106
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
"Am I right"
Thanks, but seriously? What language is that? And how does it come in "brief" size? If that is what he thought he wrote, the answer is, "No"!
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 12:10 PM   #107
Hellrot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
"Am I right"
Thanks, but seriously? What language is that? And how does it come in "brief" size? If that is what he thought he wrote, the answer is, "No"!
It's just contemporary slang.

I believe the original comment was referring to a design brief (or pitch) the marketing team would make to BMW execs.

We are too far down the rabbit hole though. If you don't like the commercial that's ok.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 02:19 PM   #108
Cobra86
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
idk dude, sounded like the b48 noise expelled by the interior speakers to me
I found this video ! bmw aren't faking the noise, it's not loud like in the ad, but similar.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 11:49 AM   #109
Coldone
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SG

Commercial

Looks like BMW recently employed the designer of the Lexus IS.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 11:58 AM   #110
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

im technically a millennial by about two weeks .

I do feel like a grumpy old man but BMW needs to move units to this demographic I don't understand at all. I've had enough young under 30 co-workers who have bought 440is and m cars with " powerul v6s" to know that that commerical will no doubt somehow reach them and get their money and help pay for the cars ultimately we want. it doesn't matter if they can't drive at all, we need their money for r&d just like 911 drivers need those cayenne buyers
Appreciate 0