Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Home audio guys - suggestions for phone controlled receivers?

03-03-2019, 02:26 PM   #23
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
The SONOS app interface is far better than any AV receiver app.

Putting a SONOS Play1 outside is definitely not recommended by SONOS. It may work, but be aware that you're coloring outside the lines.

I usually recommend utilizing a mono signal for outdoor audio installations (if possible). Because you're not usually even remotely centrally located between the speakers, and usually relatively far from the speakers, stereo separation can do more harm than good. Even if you were to use multiple Play1s, I'd still keep them as individual units rather than pairing them up.

Someone has already mentioned this, but I'd suggest a SONOS ConnectAmp with a pair or two of outdoor speakers.
Maybe you've noticed that I always colour outside the lines. Not like the Marines whom I've recently learned eat their crayons. I did it with the Play 1's because they are humidity protected for use in bathrooms. Like i've mentioned earlier, I've had them outside with zero issues. Thy are tucked up under the eve's really tight as the pics illustrate. I have them about 10 feet apart and get great stereo separation. YMMV
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2019, 03:13 PM   #24
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
Quote:
The SONOS app interface is far better than any AV receiver app.

Putting a SONOS Play1 outside is definitely not recommended by SONOS. It may work, but be aware that you're coloring outside the lines.

I usually recommend utilizing a mono signal for outdoor audio installations (if possible). Because you're not usually even remotely centrally located between the speakers, and usually relatively far from the speakers, stereo separation can do more harm than good. Even if you were to use multiple Play1s, I'd still keep them as individual units rather than pairing them up.

Someone has already mentioned this, but I'd suggest a SONOS ConnectAmp with a pair or two of outdoor speakers.
Maybe you've noticed that I always colour outside the lines. Not like the Marines whom I've recently learned eat their crayons. I did it with the Play 1's because they are humidity protected for use in bathrooms. Like i've mentioned earlier, I've had them outside with zero issues. Thy are tucked up under the eve's really tight as the pics illustrate. I have them about 10 feet apart and get great stereo separation. YMMV
My OPINION on running multiple speakers in mono being a better option in MOST outdoor installations is because the stereo separation can often work against you. For stereo to work properly you should be equidistant to both speakers. Often times in outdoor installations stereo imaging is low on the priority list. Usually you just want to fill the space evenly, and achieve a pleasant frequency balance while providing enough output. Many times listeners will be very close to one speaker, and very far from the other. If you're using a stereo signal, instruments and vocalists panned hard to one channel can become inaudible, totally messing up the experience.

All this being said, if there's a relatively confined listening area, and you can achieve proper speaker positioning, then of course I'd run a stereo signal.

I don't want to digress too much, but this same theory of running mono also applies to in-ceiling speaker locations in common distributed "whole home" audio systems. Usually the speakers are placed in relation to lighting fixtures, and not listening positions. For this same reason mono is often a better choice.

BTW... While this is my opinion; it is coming from a person with a degree in audio engineering, and decades of experience designing, installing, and tuning audio (and video) systems.
      03-03-2019, 03:22 PM   #25
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
My OPINION on running multiple speakers in mono being a better option in MOST outdoor installations is because the stereo separation can often work against you. For stereo to work properly you should be equidistant to both speakers. Often times in outdoor installations stereo imaging is low on the priority list. Usually you just want to fill the space evenly, and achieve a pleasant frequency balance while providing enough output. Many times listeners will be very close to one speaker, and very far from the other. If you're using a stereo signal, instruments and vocalists panned hard to one channel can become inaudible, totally messing up the experience.

All this being said, if there's a relatively confined listening area, and you can achieve proper speaker positioning, then of course I'd run a stereo signal.

I don't want to digress too much, but this same theory of running mono also applies to in-ceiling speaker locations in common distributed "whole home" audio systems. Usually the speakers are placed in relation to lighting fixtures, and not listening positions. For this same reason mono is often a better choice.

BTW... While this is my opinion; it is coming from a person with a degree in audio engineering, and decades of experience designing, installing, and tuning audio (and video) systems.
I don't disagree with anything you've said....my back yard set up has the hot tub placed in between the two speakers.....so decent separation and the front porch set up is kind of enclosed with and separation works really well.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2019, 03:26 PM   #26
dsad1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: car

If you don’t care about wiring them, then I would get a sonos amp and any outdoor speaker you want. Not sure why anyone needs the sonos outdoors speakers if they have to be wired back to the amp either way.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 03:51 PM   #27
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsad1 View Post
If you don't care about wiring them, then I would get a sonos amp and any outdoor speaker you want. Not sure why anyone needs the sonos outdoors speakers if they have to be wired back to the amp either way.
This partnership between Sonance and SONOS is more of a marketing move than anything with a significant technical benefit. The SONOS-branded Sonance speakers are basically just conventional speakers.

While I haven't spoken to any of my friends at Sonance about exactly how deep the tailoring went towards designing these SONOS-orientated speaker products, I don't expect anything earth shattering. I will say, there are some small accommodations that you can do if you know what specific amplifier will be driving the speaker. This is the big advantage of using active monitors, over passive monitors and an external amplifier. Perhaps Sonance made the speaker more sensitive (think: efficient), at the cost of sacrificing power handling you don't need with a SONOS ConnectAmp? 🤔

For those unaware... Sonance is an absolutely first-rate architectural speaker company. I love how their in-ceiling speakers let the entire midrange and tweeter (not just the tweeter) pivot on an eyeball. I'm a big fan.
      03-03-2019, 05:23 PM   #28
stbm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 DG

active speakers would be way to go but then they need power access. passive speakers definitely cheaper but then they gotta be amped and have some wireless receiver. id take a look at the BlueSound options - i can vouch that they sound decent but they dont have dedicated outdoor models. the klipsch outdoor speakers look decent. a cheap option if you already have a receiver would be to add yamaha wxc-50 to your current setup then just wire some outdoor speakers. keep in mind that long cable runs are less than ideal especially with inexpensive small gauge speaker wire...

if price were no object theres lots of options. hard to make a decent rec without a budget, what are you looking to spend? this is one of those things you could spend 1000 or 100000 dollars on. best to set budget then consider options.

theres many active speakers that have bluetooth or wifi built in.. some of them are truly fantastic.

Last edited by stbm5; 03-03-2019 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 10:04 PM   #29
roller84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & E60 550i

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
This partnership between Sonance and SONOS is more of a marketing move than anything with a significant technical benefit. The SONOS-branded Sonance speakers are basically just conventional speakers.

While I haven't spoken to any of my friends at Sonance about exactly how deep the tailoring went towards designing these SONOS-orientated speaker products, I don't expect anything earth shattering. I will say, there are some small accommodations that you can do if you know what specific amplifier will be driving the speaker. This is the big advantage of using active monitors, over passive monitors and an external amplifier. Perhaps Sonance made the speaker more sensitive (think: efficient), at the cost of sacrificing power handling you don't need with a SONOS ConnectAmp? ��

For those unaware... Sonance is an absolutely first-rate architectural speaker company. I love how their in-ceiling speakers let the entire midrange and tweeter (not just the tweeter) pivot on an eyeball. I'm a big fan.
Sonos' amp paired with the Sonance/Sonos specific outdoor or indoor speakers will allow for the Sonos' Trueplay EQ feature to work. That is the primary benefit Sonos is touting. I forget exactly how they do it but there is a detection process so that Sonos can detect these specific speakers as opposed to any other passive speaker which won't allow for Trueplay. Trueplay up until this point was exclusive to Sonos Active speakers only.
Pure S2 Turbos | Vargas Outlets | RB Inlets | OEM SS Kit & Performance Steering Wheel| LCI Rear Conversion | Euro Xenons | RD Sport Quad Exhaust | Spearco Intercooler | Cobb V3 | MORR VS7 | KW V3 | H&R Sways | Mtech Bodykit | Vorsteiner CF Hood, CSL Trunk & Front Lip | Quaife LSD | Rotora BBK | GruppeM Intake | Forge UK DV | AR Design Catted DP's
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 10:08 PM   #30
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roller84 View Post
Quote:

While I haven't spoken to any of my friends at Sonance about exactly how deep the tailoring went towards designing these SONOS-orientated speaker products, I don't expect anything earth shattering. I will say, there are some small accommodations that you can do if you know what specific amplifier will be driving the speaker. This is the big advantage of using active monitors, over passive monitors and an external amplifier. Perhaps Sonance made the speaker more sensitive (think: efficient), at the cost of sacrificing power handling you don't need with a SONOS ConnectAmp? 🤔

Sonos' amp paired with the Sonance/Sonos specific outdoor or indoor speakers will allow for the Sonos' Trueplay EQ feature to work. That is the primary benefit Sonos is touting. I forget exactly how they do it but there is a detection process so that Sonos can detect these specific speakers as opposed to any other passive speaker which won't allow for Trueplay
I'd bet you're manually inputting the speaker model and there's some custom Trueplay curve. Perhaps they finally let you pair a SONOS SUB to a ConnectAmp.
      03-03-2019, 10:19 PM   #31
roller84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & E60 550i

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'd bet you're manually inputting the speaker model and there's some custom Trueplay curve. Perhaps they finally let you pair a SONOS SUB to a ConnectAmp.
I am actually a Sonos dealer as I am in the home/commercial automation and integration industry. I just looked into it to refresh my memory. It is definitely not a manual option. I cannot share details as it is not released yet but it has something to do with the unique hardware signature of the Sonance speakers that they are using to automatically detect.
Pure S2 Turbos | Vargas Outlets | RB Inlets | OEM SS Kit & Performance Steering Wheel| LCI Rear Conversion | Euro Xenons | RD Sport Quad Exhaust | Spearco Intercooler | Cobb V3 | MORR VS7 | KW V3 | H&R Sways | Mtech Bodykit | Vorsteiner CF Hood, CSL Trunk & Front Lip | Quaife LSD | Rotora BBK | GruppeM Intake | Forge UK DV | AR Design Catted DP's
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2019, 05:36 AM   #32
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller84 View Post
Quote:
I am actually a Sonos dealer as I am in the home/commercial automation and integration industry. I just looked into it to refresh my memory. It is definitely not a manual option. I cannot share details as it is not released yet but it has something to do with the unique hardware signature of the Sonance speakers that they are using to automatically detect.
So you going to hook it up or what? Lol
      03-14-2019, 11:20 AM   #33
ramonE90-NL
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: bmw F30 320iA

I think sonos is great, i used to have Harman kardon. But since we were moving i wanted something else.

So now i have the sonos playbar, sub, 2 play 3s in the livingroom. And 2 play 1s for the backyard.

Only problem is you need good wifi if not connected with ethernet cable. My wifi in the backyard isnt great so i wired them with eternet cable. But you also need your phone with wifi to control the speakers. Need to find a good solution for that, since im getting tired walking to the house to change volume
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 11:54 AM   #34
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramonE90-NL View Post
I think sonos is great, i used to have Harman kardon. But since we were moving i wanted something else.

So now i have the sonos playbar, sub, 2 play 3s in the livingroom. And 2 play 1s for the backyard.

Only problem is you need good wifi if not connected with ethernet cable. My wifi in the backyard isnt great so i wired them with eternet cable. But you also need your phone with wifi to control the speakers. Need to find a good solution for that, since im getting tired walking to the house to change volume
I switched my WiFi to Linksys Velop and it is great. Just put the nodes where you need coverage and that should solve the problem.
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2019, 05:42 PM   #35
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
When it comes to high-end WiFi access points you only need to know one word... Ruckus. Their antenna technology is amazing. The only thing I'd use for demanding applications in congested environments like Manhattan.

https://www.ruckuswireless.com
      03-16-2019, 10:06 AM   #36
stbm5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 DG

Quote:
When it comes to high-end WiFi access points you only need to know one word... Ruckus. Their antenna technology is amazing. The only thing I'd use for demanding applications in congested environments like Manhattan.

what ruckus products would you recommend for a 4000sqft two story home for creating a mesh network?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 10:13 AM   #37
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stbm5 View Post
Quote:

what ruckus products would you recommend for a 4000sqft two story home for creating a mesh network?
Ruckus Unleashed series... R510 access points or higher depending on a bunch of factors like home construction, user demands, etc..

https://ruckus-www.s3.amazonaws.com/...-portfolio.pdf
      03-19-2019, 11:32 AM   #38
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

I can vouch that both of these sound good and perform well outdoors.

https://www.klipsch.com/products/out...s?model=aw-650

https://www.klipsch.com/products/out...del=awr-650-sm
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11571.50
      03-19-2019, 11:49 PM   #39
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

OP, Sonos 1's are fine outdoors as long as they don't get direct rain.
They have an Alexa version so you can start the music as you're opening your beer. You just tell Alexa to play xxx Artist or xxx's Playlist on Amazon Music or Spotify. Set an alarm or tell you the score on a game or what the weather is tomorrow. No phone needed.

You do want a good wifi signal. Mesh systems seem to do the trick, then you can skip the connect.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 09:14 AM   #40
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Here's another thought guys... I've hand this klipsch home theater system for about eight years now. It's not WiFi/blue tooth, but after using it for my home theater, is there something I can buy to piggyback off of it for the purposes of what I want?

edit- receiver is onkyo
Attached Images

Last edited by roastbeef; 03-20-2019 at 09:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 09:30 AM   #41
Dog Face Pony Soldier
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Here's another thought guys... I've hand this klipsch home theater system for about eight years now. It's not WiFi/blue tooth, but after using it for my home theater, is there something I can buy to piggyback off of it for the purposes of what I want?
Yes. You could buy a RF remote control... But for the cost of the remote you could probably just buy a SONOS ConnectAmp.
      03-20-2019, 10:36 AM   #42
Nuckle
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Defender X

I bought this to power my outdoor speakers. It has plenty of power to do the job on the speakers I posted earlier. It is a referb, mine arrived in perfect condition. Has bluetooth and wifi. You can steam music from your phone or tables and use the denon remote app to adjust volume and settings.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use this one to power my home theater in a 9.1 configuration. I have been pleased with the outcome.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Nuckle; 03-20-2019 at 11:58 AM..
Appreciate 0