Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Regular Oil Changes

02-10-2021, 12:02 AM   #1
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Regular Oil Changes

Just came across an article relating to removing engine sludge, but noticed the benefits of regularly changing the oil in your engine annually and with a quality synthetic oil.
Annual oil changes are something I have always believed in with all of my cars, but I did not realise how good they are until I saw these photos.
I was not concerned about the sludge in the Kia engine (and I assume the car has been neglected for many years), but I was impressed with the lack of sludge in the BMW Valve Train (third and last photo) and how clean the mechanicals are. The BMW valve train has been photographed 10 years after using a synthetic ester-based cleaner (AutoRx or something similar), and 10 years of synthetic oil, changed once a year.

It may cost a few more dollars per year, but I will continue with my regime of annual oil changes.
Attached Images

02-10-2021, 01:09 AM   #2
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Yes I've always changed oil at 10k km or at least once a year despite what BMW recommends
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 02:24 PM   #3
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

I will be asking BMW to change my oil at my 1 year service.

I've been quoted circa $350, which is pretty standard for the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 04:04 PM   #4
IM340
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 640d; 2023 X7 M60i

Garage List
2017 BMW 640d  [10.00]
2023 BMW X7 M60i  [0.00]
I'd love to see pics of BMW petrol & diesel engines after service to BSI schedule. I'm still tossing up the value of a mid interval oil change
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 06:38 PM   #5
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Dropped the car in for its 1 year service check today at 13,000 km

Asked for an oil change. I was told (a little condescendingly) that the car did not need one and another one would be due in 8,000 km.

I said I wanted one anyway and they were happy to do it.

I was offered a wheel alignment up sell, a cabin air filter disinfecting up sell. Said no to all.

Said they would do an additive to keep running smooth as part of the oil change. I said 'oh ok'.

Scribbled $500 to $550 on the service paper and said it would be ready to pick up in the afternoon when I expected $350

A bit annoyed and its my fault for it being early and being on the ball and ask what the additive is and how much to expect. I was a little disorientated from the medium pressure up sell. This BMW Service centre is only a walk from my house but I think I'll go somewhere else next time.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 09:22 PM   #6
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by erawamai View Post
Dropped the car in for its 1 year service check today at 13,000 km

Asked for an oil change. I was told (a little condescendingly) that the car did not need one and another one would be due in 8,000 km.

I said I wanted one anyway and they were happy to do it.

I was offered a wheel alignment up sell, a cabin air filter disinfecting up sell. Said no to all.

Said they would do an additive to keep running smooth as part of the oil change. I said 'oh ok'.

Scribbled $500 to $550 on the service paper and said it would be ready to pick up in the afternoon when I expected $350

A bit annoyed and its my fault for it being early and being on the ball and ask what the additive is and how much to expect. I was a little disorientated from the medium pressure up sell. This BMW Service centre is only a walk from my house but I think I'll go somewhere else next time.
I hate it when a BMW Service Centre does what it does.
I asked for an oil change and oil filter when I went in for my first annual inspection (only 5000 km on the clock). Cost was $249, which I still think is pricey, but I realize it was considerably cheaper than you were charged.
You have to be careful with these buggers. When I had my F30 335, I asked for an oil change in addition to the BMW service plan and they fitted a fancy micro filter (which was not needed based on the low mileage) at around $200 for the filter!! Thus was based on their service protocols.
So, buyer beware, they are not afraid to try it on, and change out items that are theoretically based on BMW’s service protocol. The problem is that their protocols are based on fairly heavy usage of the vehicle......not necessarily for people like me with low mileage.
      04-29-2021, 10:05 PM   #7
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
I hate it when a BMW Service Centre does what it does.
I asked for an oil change and oil filter when I went in for my first annual inspection (only 5000 km on the clock). Cost was $249, which I still think is pricey, but I realize it was considerably cheaper than you were charged.
You have to be careful with these buggers. When I had my F30 335, I asked for an oil change in addition to the BMW service plan and they fitted a fancy micro filter (which was not needed based on the low mileage) at around $200 for the filter!! Thus was based on their service protocols.
So, buyer beware, they are not afraid to try it on, and change out items that are theoretically based on BMW’s service protocol. The problem is that their protocols are based on fairly heavy usage of the vehicle......not necessarily for people like me with low mileage.
Oddly (despite the squibble on the paper) I got a text saying the car is ready and the cost is $300.

I suspect they were going to put the following product in it for $150 but didn't because I dropped it in with only 1/4 of fuel and you need to full take to add it.

https://www.hubauer-shop.de/en/petro...192408560.html

I had my Mazda 3 for 5 years and their up selling was very gentle.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 02:57 AM   #8
Michael BD
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M340iXDrive

My last car was a 335i, and late last year and I had a message saying check up (or something), which means a full car checkup. I thought well for $250, I will get it checked as I hadn't for a few years. At the same time I had a notification of Oil is low.

Anyway took the car into Melbourne BMW and picked it up, and a few days later got another message saying I need to fill the oil with at least 1 litre.

Really hopeless and makes you wonder if they checked anything. I had a print out of the report which ticked all the boxes, like oil, brakes, etc etc
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 03:44 AM   #9
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornadogM340i View Post
My last car was a 335i, and late last year and I had a message saying check up (or something), which means a full car checkup. I thought well for $250, I will get it checked as I hadn't for a few years. At the same time I had a notification of Oil is low.

Anyway took the car into Melbourne BMW and picked it up, and a few days later got another message saying I need to fill the oil with at least 1 litre.

Really hopeless and makes you wonder if they checked anything. I had a print out of the report which ticked all the boxes, like oil, brakes, etc etc
I checked under the hood and it looks like there is a tiny bit of oil residude around the filter enclosure so I'm pretty sure its been opened.

Anyways, I'll get another change in 8,000 km as part of the BSI package.

Also FYI - according to the service invoice they put 0W-30 in it.

Last edited by erawamai; 04-30-2021 at 04:16 AM..
Appreciate 1
Slideit49.00
      05-03-2021, 10:11 PM   #10
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

I've received two dealer quotes, $299 and $650...
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 07:56 PM   #11
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideit View Post
I've received two dealer quotes, $299 and $650...
Was that for an oil change and 'standard scope check'?

$650 seems a bit much.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 12:30 AM   #12
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by erawamai View Post
Was that for an oil change and 'standard scope check'?

$650 seems a bit much.
I'm fairly sure it was to add oil and filter change to my regular service. Maybe they made mistake during the call, but I didn't bother because I didn't think it would become lower than the first ($299) quote, which was already very high.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 09:14 PM   #13
rahul.r
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i MSport

After reading this I watched a couple of youtube videos on G20 oil and oil filter change. Seems pretty straightforward if you have something to raise the car up.

Would it be good thing or a bad thing to change the oil in between the regular service intervals from BMW? I mean would it go well with BMW if they find out that we have changed the oil?
Appreciate 1
rico2537.00
      05-07-2021, 03:43 AM   #14
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

Personally, I just follow the manufacturer's recommendation, especially since servicing is included for my vehicle. Plus my days of servicing my own car are over, I've got better things to do. I also have no intention of keeping my car long enough to see the impact of yearly oil changes v service intervals.. Plus you're not going to sell it for more if you did over and above log book.

Having said that, I'd just dump and replace the oil and not bother with the filter. Much easier and quicker, and they're less likely to notice especially if you use a non-brand oil filter. I do remember someone who did this, and then had a major engine failure, and they blamed the type of oil used and denied warranty.. wasn't BMW but at the end of the day, you never know.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2021, 04:58 AM   #15
rico25
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: #G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul.r View Post
After reading this I watched a couple of youtube videos on G20 oil and oil filter change. Seems pretty straightforward if you have something to raise the car up.

Would it be good thing or a bad thing to change the oil in between the regular service intervals from BMW? I mean would it go well with BMW if they find out that we have changed the oil?
I change my friend G20 oil and filter at my home and it was pretty simple, easily save cash that way just of to purchase the stuff from BMW and do it yourself. for my G20 all services are included so I don't of to do it on my car but honestly speaking it is simple and cheaper. Cheers
Appreciate 0