Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

04-19-2021, 01:51 PM   #1
phantom701
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 eDrive40

Extending existing lease until i4 is out?

Hi guys,

I have an 440i where the lease is coming due in a few months.

I spoke to the dealer and they said that I could put a down payment for the i4 and have my lease extended by a year.

I was wondering what you guys think about extending the lease by another year? Is this a financially astute thing to do?

Any suggestions and advice is appreciated
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 09:21 AM   #2
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom701 View Post
Hi guys,

I spoke to the dealer and they said that I could put a down payment for the i4 and have my lease extended by a year.

I was wondering what you guys think about extending the lease by another year? Is this a financially astute thing to do?

Full disclosure, I have never leased a car, and have heard arguments for and against them. So I have "no dog in the hunt", either way. That being said:

It would make sense to do an extension while awaiting the i4's release. If the terms of the extension are to you satisfaction of course.

With ongoing shortages of "chips", and the likelihood of demand exceeding inventory when the i4 is released a one year extension would make sense.

There is one thing I would iron out with your dealer before doing anything. You mentioned your dealer wanting a "down payment" on the i4 while you extend your lease. A red flag goes up for me on this. What happens if your i4 arrives prior to you 1 year lease expiration? Penalty to terminate early? Lose your down payment if you can't take delivery while still in the lease? It would appear the deck is being stacked in the dealers favor here. Ask him if you can do a month to month lease until your i4 arrives and see if he goes for that. That would reshuffle the deck back in your favor.

I would be more comfortable doing a lease extension only and wait to order the i4 to coincide with the lease expiration.

Additionally, going this route, you can survey the market as more new EV's are being introduced and possibly see something you may like better.

Being stuck in a 440i for one more year isn't such a bad place to be either.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 09:45 AM   #3
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

"Being stuck in a 440i for one more year isn't such a bad place to be either. "

True BUT you will be paying the price that was calculated as the average need for the first three years of ownership for a car in its fourth year of ownership.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 07:11 PM   #4
buster84
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335I X-Drive E90

Quote:
Hi guys,

Honestly prices on all used cars are going up and dealers are hounding lease owners in hopes they don’t buy it out at a lower price than they can sell it. What’s your buyout? You might do better buying the car and sell it when the i4 comes out.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 12:57 PM   #5
OperationSunset
Private
Rep
Drives: ‘21 BMW M2C | '18 Tesla 3P

Quote:
Hi guys,

I've never heard of BMW FS extending a lease by a year for a car that they are not taking production orders for. AKA, the dealer shouldn't be taking deposits for the i4 yet, because it won't lead to a production number, which is what FS needs to extend a lease beyond 3 months.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2021, 03:51 PM   #6
sikotic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationSunset View Post
I've never heard of BMW FS extending a lease by a year for a car that they are not taking production orders for. AKA, the dealer shouldn't be taking deposits for the i4 yet, because it won't lead to a production number, which is what FS needs to extend a lease beyond 3 months.
This is what I'm familiar with too. I was able to extend my last lease for 2 months without issue, then after that I needed a deposit/production number to extend it to 6 months. I'm curious if this has been extended "due to the pandemic"
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 05:04 PM   #7
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
afaik 6 months is the max BMWFS will extend a lease. Has that changed?

An alternative would be to take over the lease of someone else with a year left on their lease.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 10:26 PM   #8
phantom701
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 eDrive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
afaik 6 months is the max BMWFS will extend a lease. Has that changed?

An alternative would be to take over the lease of someone else with a year left on their lease.
You are correct, if you talk to the BMW FS team directly, they don't provide much time extension.

The person I'm talking to apparently has been selling BMWs for a long time and has built a strong reputation with BMW USA.

He has managed to help a few people in similar situation who put down at $1,000 refundable deposit to wait for a car up to a year.

With that said, I'm wondering if the economics make sense. I'm also looking into taking over someone else's lease. But I also noticed that many people who are trying to get out of their leases didn't do a good job in negotiating their initial leases...
Appreciate 0