Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum Do Dealers Tend to Mark-Up MSRP from Online Configurator?

11-10-2020, 03:06 PM   #1
F30Starter
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i

Do Dealers Tend to Mark-Up MSRP from Online Configurator?

Saw this m340i on my local dealer’s online inventory and noticed the MSRP and the listed packages. I thought there had to be a mistake and went to BMW USA’s online configurator and created the same spec. It was around $4000 cheaper online. Is this expected? Am I missing something that would account for that cost? $66k seems steep considering it’s missing packages and options.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 04:04 PM   #2
obscurehero
Private
Rep
Drives: for fun

It is steep. I haven't seen this yet, but I have heard rumors (on this forum) that the PNW is expensive.

I looked it up. And it's MSRP is something like $63,320 (they add the destination fee) . If you're willing to travel, I'd say you should be looking at 10% off MSRP or $57k. Unless you have to get the car now, just come in with a strong offer. They *should* work with you if you're a regular customer. They're incentivized more these days to retain customers.
      11-10-2020, 04:17 PM   #3
F30Starter
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by obscurehero View Post
It is steep. I haven't seen this yet, but I have heard rumors (on this forum) that the PNW is expensive.

I looked it up. And it's MSRP is something like $63,320 (they add the destination fee) . If you're willing to travel, I'd say you should be looking at 10% off MSRP or $57k. Unless you have to get the car now, just come in with a strong offer. They *should* work with you if you're a regular customer. They're incentivized more these days to retain customers.
Thank you for that info! Yeah I’m just looking right now. Still paying off my CPO F30 but I would rather trade it (or sell privately) for a rocket 6 cylinder than spend a few thousand on it for a tune/exhaust system. Unfortunately it looks like I missed out on the 2020 inventory. I don’t see any around WA or OR. Not sure if waiting for CPO 2020s or leasing a custom ordered 2021 is the play.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 05:07 PM   #4
obscurehero
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30Starter View Post
Thank you for that info! Yeah I’m just looking right now. Still paying off my CPO F30 but I would rather trade it (or sell privately) for a rocket 6 cylinder than spend a few thousand on it for a tune/exhaust system. Unfortunately it looks like I missed out on the 2020 inventory. I don’t see any around WA or OR. Not sure if waiting for CPO 2020s or leasing a custom ordered 2021 is the play.
I had a CPO 2016 F30. Loved it, but when I looked at the depreciation numbers (even with a 0% 60 mo loan I got on that one) it didn't make sense to pay it off. I was going to go with a 2020, but as you said inventory was low and honestly the pricing wasn't as competitive as new.

That said, have you looked at the 330's? Those are great and especially if you're coming from a 328, it might still make you smile but be at a good price point.
      11-10-2020, 05:12 PM   #5
born_on_halloween
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive PB

you never ever pay what they advertise it for, they know we're going to negotiate so they always inflate their prices.
Retired - 2015 335 xDrive Mineral Gray, M-sport manual
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #6
mf44
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 iX 50

The the OP: while it wouldn't shock me to see a dealer marking up above MSRP, I would caution you that many times the dealer's online listings don't include all the options on the car. You really need to get the build sheet or window sticker from the dealer to confirm. And if there are port installed options (such as M Performance parts) those are very rarely properly shown on the web listings.
Appreciate 2
xlover2191.00
      11-11-2020, 11:30 AM   #7
obscurehero
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mf44 View Post
The the OP: while it wouldn't shock me to see a dealer marking up above MSRP, I would caution you that many times the dealer's online listings don't include all the options on the car. You really need to get the build sheet or window sticker from the dealer to confirm. And if there are port installed options (such as M Performance parts) those are very rarely properly shown on the web listings.
1000%. The dealer selling my trade-in is missing packages on it. I messaged them and they still can't figure out how to put them on the website. They're missing like $2k in packages on the car...

I really hope COVID and this environment force dealers with poor internet sales to go under or reinvent. You also see dealers trying to ignore the fact that higher knowledge buyers already know what they know.