Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum Delayed shipment from Germany for 2021 M340i

11-25-2020, 06:41 PM   #1
Saliwok1
Rep
Drives: BMW 2021 M340i

Delayed shipment from Germany for 2021 M340i

I ordered a fully loaded M340i in July. It's Tanzanite Blue, which apparently can only come from Germany (???).
The dealer assured me that it would be delivered in September (I am in Ontario).
Then i was assured it would arrive in October, and then November. Now I am being told December 10th. I have seen a screen cap that shows that it was built on August 21.
Has anyone else experienced this sort of nonsense??
What should the dealer be offering me for my pain and suffering??
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 11:35 PM   #2
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Yeah that's strange. Mine was built 6 OCT and it got to the port (in Asia) on 24 NOV. Ask your dealer what ship it's on, and if it's not on a ship yet then you definitely won't make the December date they gave you.
      11-27-2020, 11:47 PM   #3
born_on_halloween
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive PB

I just got my production # today.

It looks like xDrive builds in Germany and RWDs in Mexico. You probably got an xdrive too it is the reason. Idk it would be a better build
Retired - 2015 335 xDrive Mineral Gray, M-sport manual
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 08:22 AM   #4
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_on_halloween View Post
I just got my production # today.

It looks like xDrive builds in Germany and RWDs in Mexico. You probably got an xdrive too it is the reason. Idk it would be a better build
I thought the only US 3 series being built in Germany are the Individual ones...xDrive is being made in Mexico too.
      11-28-2020, 08:41 AM   #5
Saliwok1
Rep

The most persistent rumours are that the Dravit gray and Tanzanite Blue cars are coming from Germany. Makes no sense though.
I'll try to track down this ship. This is so annoying.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 09:14 AM   #6
bap340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340I

Cars with Dravit and Tanzanite are only built in Germany. I read they build cars for North America one week a month. The majority of cars for this market come from Mexico, including X-drive models. I have an X-drive M340 and it was just built in Mexico.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2020, 12:56 PM   #7
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saliwok1 View Post
The most persistent rumours are that the Dravit gray and Tanzanite Blue cars are coming from Germany. Makes no sense though.
It's not a rumor, for whatever reason the paint shop at San Luis has not been setup with tanzanite or dravit. If I had to guess it is because tanz and dravit are very low volume options. ( out side these boards not many ppl are going to drop 1950 on paint)
Appreciate 2
EXE462097.00
      12-02-2020, 07:28 PM   #8
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap340i View Post
Cars with Dravit and Tanzanite are only built in Germany. I read they build cars for North America one week a month. The majority of cars for this market come from Mexico, including X-drive models. I have an X-drive M340 and it was just built in Mexico.
Yes, this is correct. Approx one week a month.
      12-03-2020, 05:15 AM   #9
born_on_halloween
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive PB

Are you guys sure?? This is weird when my rep called me to give me the production # he said it will be built in Germany being an xdrive. I was like nice
Interesting how not all of them xdrives are built there
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 08:52 AM   #10
bap340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Are you guys sure?? This is weird when my rep called me to give me the production # he said it will be built in Germany being an xdrive. I was like nice
My car is an xdrive, was built in Mexico and delivered three weeks ago. Every xdrive at a dealer around here - and they are all xdrive in MN - have VIN's that say they were built in Mexico. The only German built M340's I have seen here were either Tanzanite or Dravit, a total of 4 cars.

In my experience if you follow this forum you probably are more aware of what is going on globally than your dealer. Some of the answers I got about the 48V system were comical.
Appreciate 1
VetteGuy845.50
      12-03-2020, 09:14 AM   #11
Graaf_Autowerks
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
What bap states above is my experience as well.

My dealer also thought my production would be from Germany, they even talked to me about the shipping vessel overseas and what to expect for timeframe of delivery.

It wasn't until a VIN was assigned that I realized it was Mexico built.

As far as I can see, there was a period where xDrive models and custom colors were being built in Germany still late 2019 and possibly even into early 2020 before the plant shut down.

Since then, I have only heard of custom color models being built in Germany. It would appear at least all US sourced G20s with standard color options are now produced in the Mexico plant. At least it doesn't seem like we have seen any 2021 models produced in Germany so far that are standard colors.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 05:13 PM   #12
mifi79
* patiently awaits m340i delivery *
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i xDrive Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
My car is an xdrive, was built in Mexico and delivered three weeks ago. Every xdrive at a dealer around here - and they are all xdrive in MN - have VIN's that say they were built in Mexico. The only German built M340's I have seen here were either Tanzanite or Dravit, a total of 4 cars.
The M340 I’m waiting on was built in Germany and its Sunset Orange, but it was for ED, which probably explains that.

Finished production 10/02, BMW cancelled all remaining non-German passport holding ED 10/07 but didn’t send me to the port until 10/30, which put me on a boat 11/09 and got me to Newark 12/01. Hasn’t moved since tho - there’s apparently a stop sale on the M340’s for a starter screw recall (not sure if that is limited to German-built models or what tho...)
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 05:39 PM   #13
jct_m3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Because of the paint Dravit and Tanz are made in germany. Something to do with what's in thepaint that's it's not available here. All of the cars we order are made in Germany and the Suv's in South Carolina. It's not so much the process of building the car that takes so long it's the process of shipping.
      12-08-2020, 06:28 PM   #14
Saliwok1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jct_m340 View Post
Because of the paint Dravit and Tanz are made in germany. Something to do with what's in thepaint that's it's not available here. All of the cars we order are made in Germany and the Suv's in South Carolina. It's not so much the process of building the car that takes so long it's the process of shipping.
I put the order through in July. Dealer said that it would arrive in September, then October, then November, and now, maybe in a couple days. The dealer also sent a screen cap that indicated that it had been built in August. Running the VIN suggests that it had been built in October.

Online research into shipping indicates that it takes 14 days for a boat to cross the Atlantic.

I have received zero explanation for the delays, just lies about when it was coming. I really should have walked away from this.

There is no chance that I am ever going back to this dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 06:35 PM   #15
jct_m3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M3

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jct_m340 View Post
I put the order through in July. Dealer said that it would arrive in September, then October, then November, and now, maybe in a couple days. The dealer also sent a screen cap that indicated that it had been built in August. Running the VIN suggests that it had been built in October.

Online research into shipping indicates that it takes 14 days for a boat to cross the Atlantic.

I have received zero explanation for the delays, just lies about when it was coming. I really should have walked away from this.

There is no chance that I am ever going back to this dealer.
Quote:
Yeah that's weird and unfortunate. in my opinion it seems as if they didn't have the slot for the car. just submitted the order into their order bank and when ever it got picked up it got picked up.

i put my m340 order in mid november i've been tracking and it's finished just waiting for it to leave germany
      12-08-2020, 07:58 PM   #16
bap340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mifi79 View Post
The M340 I’m waiting on was built in Germany and its Sunset Orange, but it was for ED, which probably explains that.

Finished production 10/02, BMW cancelled all remaining non-German passport holding ED 10/07 but didn’t send me to the port until 10/30, which put me on a boat 11/09 and got me to Newark 12/01. Hasn’t moved since tho - there’s apparently a stop sale on the M340’s for a starter screw recall (not sure if that is limited to German-built models or what tho...)
That is brutal. You must have ordered this in May before the program end date?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2020, 12:36 PM   #17
mifi79
* patiently awaits m340i delivery *
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i xDrive Gran Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mifi79 View Post

That is brutal. You must have ordered this in May before the program end date?
I want to say I ordered in February. It was supposed to be a 2020, then the factory shut down, by the time they re-opened, we had to put in a new order because they switched to MY21, but they still respected the original ED, which was cool.

It's def been an interesting little saga and it's given me some weird light at the end of the tunnel to chase and get through 2020. Haha.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 06:20 PM   #18
Saliwok1
Rep

Finally arrived this week and i picked it up yesterday. Super sweet ride. I'm still super cranky about how the dealer handled this. It was just brutal.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 07:26 PM   #19
bap340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Finally arrived this week and i picked it up yesterday. Super sweet ride. I'm still super cranky about how the dealer handled this. It was just brutal.
Well, Tanzanite is an awesome color on this car. Really too bad when a dealer causes so much tension, takes away from what should be a good experience. Enjoy the car, find a new dealer.
Appreciate 0