Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Femto Unlock Questions

04-23-2024, 03:39 AM   #1
Coldburnout
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i

Femto Unlock Questions

Hello everbody I just picked myself up a 2022 BMW M340i. I’ve done some mods like a valve tonic exhaust a cai and the cts charge pipe. I’m looking to do a tune now to really let this car show its self! I’ve seen that Femto is the only option on unlocking these newer models so with that I have a couple of questions that maybe you guys could help me out with since I’m new to the platform.
1.With the option to clone the ecu can I clone my stock dme and than switch between my stock dme and the tuned dme for whenever i need to take to the dealership and not have the car be detectable as tuned
2. Seems everyone is telling me to get bootmod3 what’s the difference between bootmod3 and bootmod3 customrom I’ve seen these as options when it’s comes to shipping out the DME.
3.Lastly how reliable are these engines on the ots tune from bootmod3? I’m looking to maybe install an upgraded heat exchanger to help with cooling but is it better to get a remote tune and dial it in better for better reliability or will the ots suffice?
Thanks in Advance guys!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2024, 06:57 AM   #2
MichaelNRW
B58 Power
Rep
Drives: 05/2022 M340i xDrive Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldburnout View Post
1.With the option to clone the ecu can I clone my stock dme and than switch between my stock dme and the tuned dme for whenever i need to take to the dealership and not have the car be detectable as tuned
A clone would work but doesn´t guarantee that the wont void the warranty for your engine and connected components.
All other ECUs in the car still register the mileage and you´ll have a huge gap between the DME and the other ECUs.
So this trick wont work to fool the dealer or BMW.
Keep in mind, that the car is storing FASTA data that contains parameters out of the norm e.g. boost, temperatures, torque and much more.

Quote:
2. Seems everyone is telling me to get bootmod3 what’s the difference between bootmod3 and bootmod3 customrom I’ve seen these as options when it’s comes to shipping out the DME.
FEMto offers two options that are described in their shop.
1. Regular unlock for bm3 - This just unlocks your DME to allow you the flash of bm3 tuning software into the SWFK area (calibration data)
2. The custom rom is needed for additional features:
"Including map switching, flex fuel, antilag, in-dash ethanol content check on rpm gauge, etc."
This rom can only be flashed by FEMto and not by yourself, as it´s going into the SWFL area.

Quote:
3.Lastly how reliable are these engines on the ots tune from bootmod3? I’m looking to maybe install an upgraded heat exchanger to help with cooling but is it better to get a remote tune and dial it in better for better reliability or will the ots suffice?
Thanks in Advance guys!
The B58 Gen2 is a very reliable engine when cared for :-)
Regular oil and spark plug changes depending on your driving style between 10 to 15k (oil) and 30 to 40k (spark plugs) kilometres instead of the 30k and 60k that BMW recommends.
The engine itself is good for a huge amount of power without big modifications to the block itself.
You´ll reach the transmission limit with just a downpipe and stage 2...
With a hybrid turbo and ethanol... you need a transmission build...

The upgraded heat exchanger is a good idea depending on your local temperatures. Atleast for Germany it´s not needed for a few days over 30°C in the year.
      04-23-2024, 08:07 AM   #3
Stag77
Private
Rep
Drives: '24 M340i XDrive

If you blow your engine, they will find the tune. Go into it expecting to lose your drivetrain warranty or wait until it's expired to tune.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2024, 11:35 AM   #4
M3FortiIZay
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I

One thing I know is if you care about warranty wait to tune. The dealer can tell and will void your drivetrain warranty. No way around it.
Appreciate 0