Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions 320d, 330i, or 330d?

03-24-2020, 11:34 AM   #23
tomwac
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 545i/520d/320d/S1000R/E24

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoenG View Post
Very simple, had 4 of them the last decades...

The 320d is an incredible thing of magic... in Germany it allowed me to play with several big machines at +200km/h with incredible authority, really! It was so frugal that I was almost everytime flabbergasted reading my overall average of 5,3l/100km.

Seen the lower weight on the front axle, it has a superior vehicle dynamics than the 330d and that's something I could feel in the F30 generation at least. On +98% of the public road trips, it feels like abundantly powered.

Of course, I've experienced superiour machines like the F90 M5 and M4 competition etc... but they don't compete when TCO comes in play and when you want return for your hard earned money: just go for 320d, it's the best on the market. And I mean it!
Also, don't forget that an M sport package only deserves a petrol engine
I just got an 320dA Touring with M package and some options, stock car with huge discount (around 25%) and I couldn't be happier. Economical, enough punch, fast enough considering it's here full off average speed camera's, 230+ on the autobahn is not a huge problem. Yes, my 545i feels much stronger at high speeds, but fuel costs are also 3x. If it's a daily car, get the 320d and if you need some thrills (which an 330i will not provide anyway), get some weekend toy. My F31 330d was a blast, but in current tax situation here, I decided against it. Everything has a price, unfortunately
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 02:41 PM   #24
vigo
Rep
Drives: none atm

320d is the first 3-series to offer 48V mild hybrid system, if you are looking to order a car, this adds like 11hp and very smooth start from stop. Besides, I think all 320d's on Swedish lots offer leeway for discounts, also there are a couple of unsold 330d's that have been out for months (see larger discounts).

Which one did you choose?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2020, 04:36 PM   #25
StevenX94
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigo View Post
320d is the first 3-series to offer 48V mild hybrid system, if you are looking to order a car, this adds like 11hp and very smooth start from stop. Besides, I think all 320d's on Swedish lots offer leeway for discounts, also there are a couple of unsold 330d's that have been out for months (see larger discounts).

Which one did you choose?
You are right, almost every dealer has the 320d on discount, it is the most popular choice here. 330d's are showing up these days but few buy them, they are alot more expensive than the 320d.

For now I placed my order on a 330i, after test driving both I found that the petrol version is much more sportier mostly for the sound part, and moderatly on the "feel" in general. Although raw performance is the same in the end.
I have been told that the car would take some extra time to be produced because of covid-19 and Bmw shut down all Europe factories for now.
Strangely, for about a week now, I am getting some bad feelings that maybe it would be better to try and find a bit better job to afford the M340i, but this would leave me without a car a long time, and it may not even go as I want...Not to say I am not happy with ordering the 330i, but there is just a little something that makes me want to risk it big time just to get the m340i....
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 01:33 PM   #26
SabineBimmer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i LBlue Met

Excellent thread

This is an excellent thread as I'm in the same boat. I sadly traded in my 2009 335i e92 for another vehicle that my wife felt would be safer and now I am missing BMW greatly. I'm considering diesel vehicles and have wondered the exact same questions that are being posted here. My question is whether or not the diesel would be more reliable?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 03:45 PM   #27
StevenX94
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabineBimmer View Post
This is an excellent thread as I'm in the same boat. I sadly traded in my 2009 335i e92 for another vehicle that my wife felt would be safer and now I am missing BMW greatly. I'm considering diesel vehicles and have wondered the exact same questions that are being posted here. My question is whether or not the diesel would be more reliable?
I think that the simple answer is, if you mostly do short city drivings and hardly do distance driving, then no the diesel will not be more reliable than thr petrol. That is what I understood from most who I have asked.
That is because diesels have particulate filters that needs long drivings to burn of the soot. Petrols do not have that I guess..
Also, I think diesels cost more if anything goes wrong...
If you do drive long distances often, then diesels are much better to have, more economical.
Sportiness wise, definetly petrol. Sound wise and feel.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 06:01 AM   #28
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenX94 View Post
You are right, almost every dealer has the 320d on discount, it is the most popular choice here. 330d's are showing up these days but few buy them, they are alot more expensive than the 320d.

For now I placed my order on a 330i, after test driving both I found that the petrol version is much more sportier mostly for the sound part, and moderatly on the "feel" in general. Although raw performance is the same in the end.
I have been told that the car would take some extra time to be produced because of covid-19 and Bmw shut down all Europe factories for now.
Strangely, for about a week now, I am getting some bad feelings that maybe it would be better to try and find a bit better job to afford the M340i, but this would leave me without a car a long time, and it may not even go as I want...Not to say I am not happy with ordering the 330i, but there is just a little something that makes me want to risk it big time just to get the m340i....
Six cylinders is what makes a BMW a BMW. All your Passats and Mondeos have four cylinders, too.

Everyone here is talking about how the 320d is quick enough - and it is enough, but it will never ever have the charisma, torque delivery and smoothness of an inline six... be it a petrol or diesel.

I would rather the 330d than a 330i, obviously depending on your daily use and mileage. B58 is obviously the one you want.
      04-03-2020, 03:09 PM   #29
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Personally I would go for the 330i. I have had a number of BMW diesels from all ranges in the last five years or so as courtesy cars and they just feel rough and noisy to me. No issues with the performance, they all go well. A pal has a a 420d that sounds like a sack of nails when he gives me a lift compared to my petrol model.

It's always a pleasure getting back into a petrol car for my (I had an f34 328i previously).

Obviously mpg on the petrol is going to be lower if you cane it but if you are a regular driver you will see an average of mid30s mpg and I average over 50mpg on a regular 220 mile motorway run with driver assist/cruise set at 70mph.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2020, 08:53 PM   #30
StevenX94
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
Personally I would go for the 330i. I have had a number of BMW diesels from all ranges in the last five years or so as courtesy cars and they just feel rough and noisy to me. No issues with the performance, they all go well. A pal has a a 420d that sounds like a sack of nails when he gives me a lift compared to my petrol model.

It's always a pleasure getting back into a petrol car for my (I had an f34 328i previously).

Obviously mpg on the petrol is going to be lower if you cane it but if you are a regular driver you will see an average of mid30s mpg and I average over 50mpg on a regular 220 mile motorway run with driver assist/cruise set at 70mph.
The sound defenitly is much better on the petrol engines. I test drove both 320d and 330d, none had the sound of 330i.
True on the fuel part, better mpg for the diesels as usual, but I found that the 330i has really decent mpg for its 258 hp. One of the things that got me thinking less about the m340i was its consumption. It may more fun than the 330i but I think mpg is much worse with 6cyl petrol. I could be wrong though...
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 12:05 AM   #31
sspdw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw m140

Quote:
The sound defenitly is much better on the petrol engines. I test drove both 320d and 330d, none had the sound of 330i.
True on the fuel part, better mpg for the diesels as usual, but I found that the 330i has really decent mpg for its 258 hp. One of the things that got me thinking less about the m340i was its consumption. It may more fun than the 330i but I think mpg is much worse with 6cyl petrol. I could be wrong though...
I would say 330i, it has the torque of the 320d and is lighter than the 330d.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 07:21 PM   #32
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

StevenX94: do you face a lot of yearly mileage? How will you use your car: short distances local or long highway trips? How will you pay for it, via company or private lease or just buy it?

There could be a sweet spot for a M340i but you need to overcompensate the feeling that you drive something special then. I would also advice to check pre-used S4/5 and AMG C43 then in this case since they already took a 30% hit on their value which you can benefit from.

Last edited by KoenG; 04-04-2020 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 09:30 PM   #33
StevenX94
Private
Rep

Quote:
StevenX94: do you face a lot of yearly mileage? How will you use your car: short distances local or long highway trips? How will you pay for it, via company or private lease or just buy it?

There could be a sweet spot for a M340i but you need to overcompensate the feeling that you drive something special then. I would also advice to check pre-used S4/5 and AMG C43 then in this case since they already took a 30% hit on their value which you can benefit from.
I mainly drive in the city, a little longer trips maybe once a week. So not more than the usual yearly mileage for a normal driver. Short distance driving + sound were the main reasons I ruled out the diesels. Im buying it through BMW finance loan.

I didnt really get you there by the overcompensation part? May I ask what do you exactly mean there? By "sweet spot" do you mean it is possible to get a good deal on a M340i?
As for the pre-used Mercs, I do not want a pre-used car, and not other brand than BMW gonna be my first car so I want it to be special.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 04:51 AM   #34
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I mainly drive in the city, a little longer trips maybe once a week. So not more than the usual yearly mileage for a normal driver. Short distance driving + sound were the main reasons I ruled out the diesels. Im buying it through BMW finance loan.

I didnt really get you there by the overcompensation part? May I ask what do you exactly mean there? By "sweet spot" do you mean it is possible to get a good deal on a M340i?
As for the pre-used Mercs, I do not want a pre-used car, and not other brand than BMW gonna be my first car so I want it to be special.
Hopefully not confusing the matter.....Sounds like the hybrid might be a good choice
Appreciate 1
KoenG1417.50
      04-05-2020, 03:54 PM   #35
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

With your usage, you did ok by ditching the diesels.

Your dilemma, whether the M is worth the extra cost, can only get answered by you, it's pure subjective. Will the extra money you will burn for it, deliver sufficient added experience to make you smile about it?
Also relevant, what could you do with the money that you can keep in your pocket with the 330i instead? When the answer is... don't know...you best go for the M not?

Wrt special conditions? Doubt it. M340i is selling strong apparently. The last two visits at my dealership they told me that they can make an interesting offer on the M340i, but I never asked for it actually. For me, it will certainly not be strong enough.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2020, 08:26 PM   #36
StevenX94
Private
Rep

Quote:
With your usage, you did ok by ditching the diesels.

Your dilemma, whether the M is worth the extra cost, can only get answered by you, it's pure subjective. Will the extra money you will burn for it, deliver sufficient added experience to make you smile about it?
Also relevant, what could you do with the money that you can keep in your pocket with the 330i instead? When the answer is... don't know...you best go for the M not?

Wrt special conditions? Doubt it. M340i is selling strong apparently. The last two visits at my dealership they told me that they can make an interesting offer on the M340i, but I never asked for it actually. For me, it will certainly not be strong enough.
I think for everyday preformance the 330i is enough. So based on the reviews and test driving they both have more than enough speed. But the thing is I keep hearing people praise Bmws 6 cyl engines and that a 6cyl makes a Bmw what it is. That the 4 cyl is just any other normal car.
A lot of thinking to do before making a final decision....
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 07:04 AM   #37
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Also the 6 cyl thing is subjective.

I still have the e39 530i which was THE engine you had to have back then: 3.0 - 6inline - 24valve with double vanos. No turbo's, but velvet smooth and in 2002 considered adequate to propel a real sport saloon.

When you wanted an engine with some "grinta", it needed displacement. The fast rise of the turbo changed that. Around 2010 the technology allowed for twin scroll and/or VTG and they also had the heat problem much more under control. So then the main critiques of the turbo were countered and it became ubiquitous, also at BMW. Effect: no more big displacement needed, just a better turbo and you get better efficiency and more torque! This revolution progressively killed the atmosferical 6cyl and pushed the 6cyl higher up the range.

So, yes, a real typical BMW of the past was with the 6 cyl, the BMW of the future will most certainly have not.
Appreciate 1
Seaford1124.00
      04-06-2020, 07:14 AM   #38
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
I think for everyday preformance the 330i is enough. So based on the reviews and test driving they both have more than enough speed. But the thing is I keep hearing people praise Bmws 6 cyl engines and that a 6cyl makes a Bmw what it is. That the 4 cyl is just any other normal car.
A lot of thinking to do before making a final decision....
BMW history contains a mass of defining characteristics, which they first promoted and then have abandoned when they grew smarter:

1. never diesel...
2. M never diesel...
3. M always manual, no auto...
4. only RWD, never FWD...
5. No M suv's...

Consequently, what makes a bmw is not any of this. What they systematically want to bring is: a better balanced car for vehicle dynamics, better steering feel - more connected, highly efficient, balanced transmission line.

Although competition creeped closer, BMW still seem to have a better recipe.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 08:06 AM   #39
StevenX94
Private
Rep

Quote:
Also the 6 cyl thing is subjective.

I still have the e39 530i which was THE engine you had to have back then: 3.0 - 6inline - 24valve with double vanos. No turbo's, but velvet smooth and in 2002 considered adequate to propel a real sport saloon.

When you wanted an engine with some "grinta", it needed displacement. The fast rise of the turbo changed that. Around 2010 the technology allowed for twin scroll and/or VTG and they also had the heat problem much more under control. So then the main critiques of the turbo were countered and it became ubiquitous, also at BMW. Effect: no more big displacement needed, just a better turbo and you get better efficiency and more torque! This revolution progressively killed the atmosferical 6cyl and pushed the 6cyl higher up the range.

So, yes, a real typical BMW of the past was with the 6 cyl, the BMW of the future will most certainly have not.
I agree with you on the most part. Turbos have changed a lot in the car world.
I used to think the way you said it, the 330i is capable of more than enough speed and preformance for everyday driving. But the hundreds of reviews, comments and videos that I see daily, I am starting to think that it just can't be only becasue of personal opinion that people are praising the 6 cyl engine and looking down on 4 cyls. There is certainly something that is making the six worth the extra price. Most say sound and smoothness, that a 4 wont match the 6 no matter the turbos...
I am still to test out an m340i for myself.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 12:50 PM   #40
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I agree with you on the most part. Turbos have changed a lot in the car world.
I used to think the way you said it, the 330i is capable of more than enough speed and preformance for everyday driving. But the hundreds of reviews, comments and videos that I see daily, I am starting to think that it just can't be only becasue of personal opinion that people are praising the 6 cyl engine and looking down on 4 cyls. There is certainly something that is making the six worth the extra price. Most say sound and smoothness, that a 4 wont match the 6 no matter the turbos...
I am still to test out an m340i for myself.
I don't think anyone would disagree that the 340 is more desirable than the 330.

However, the 330 is more than enough for the average driver and has a lot 'more' than 95% of all cars on the road.

At the end of the day it is a simple choice - is the extra cost (£8000/£9000 in the UK when I was looking) worth it to you. More power, less economy and rarity (I have still yet to see one on the road!). Also residual value - counter intuitively I would suggest that the 340 will lose value quicker than 'lesser' models simply as it has a narrower market.

Go with whatever suits you. Personally I would prefer a fully loaded 330 against a basic 340. But I would still prefer a fully loaded 340 to a fully loaded 330......but I couldn't justify the extra cost in my mind.
Appreciate 1
KoenG1417.50
      04-06-2020, 01:12 PM   #41
StevenX94
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
I don't think anyone would disagree that the 340 is more desirable than the 330.

However, the 330 is more than enough for the average driver and has a lot 'more' than 95% of all cars on the road.

At the end of the day it is a simple choice - is the extra cost (£8000/£9000 in the UK when I was looking) worth it to you. More power, less economy and rarity (I have still yet to see one on the road!). Also residual value - counter intuitively I would suggest that the 340 will lose value quicker than 'lesser' models simply as it has a narrower market.

Go with whatever suits you. Personally I would prefer a fully loaded 330 against a basic 340. But I would still prefer a fully loaded 340 to a fully loaded 330......but I couldn't justify the extra cost in my mind.
Yea I think it mostly comes down to what you most prioritize in the car, tech and options or engine power (performance)
What I still dont really get is why the price jump is a little of an overkill between the 330i and the 340i. It should ofcourse be more expensive but for ex here it is about 20k Euros more. A bit insane tbh, I dought Bmw did the pricing perfectly right here...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 03:47 PM   #42
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Yea I think it mostly comes down to what you most prioritize in the car, tech and options or engine power (performance)
What I still dont really get is why the price jump is a little of an overkill between the 330i and the 340i. It should ofcourse be more expensive but for ex here it is about 20k Euros more. A bit insane tbh, I dought Bmw did the pricing perfectly right here...
For me it's not tech or power, since I don't mind a bit for all the fancy tech these days that they try to sell you for big money. The only thing you need is an android connect and by preference wireless and a trouble free connectivity each time you jump in your car. Don't spend anything on a smart key (pointless and useless) or the gesture control (idem), connected services (idem) or the automatic reverse steering (idem)... It's all garbage in my eyes. My X3 has some of it (company car) and it's utter crap, BMW unworthy.

For me it's plain simple, am I willing to pay each month 400€ extra when the 330i is already too much a monster for the roads I'am driving on, with speed limits between 30km/h and 120km/h and speed cameras planted almost everywhere? When I would live in Germany near the Nurburgring, I would probably wait for the M3 competition later this year, but I don't live there.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 05:28 PM   #43
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep

About "it's too much of a monster already", I remember vividly 10 yrs back when I was accelerating full throttle to the speed limit of 120km/h with my E91 320d after a stop light. I guess it would have taken me about 12 seconds to get to 120 then. The cops behind me overtook me with full drama and gave me a ticket for reckless driving and they were really pissed because of my total lack of responsability!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 05:53 PM   #44
StevenX94
Private
Rep

Quote:
About "it's too much of a monster already", I remember vividly 10 yrs back when I was accelerating full throttle to the speed limit of 120km/h with my E91 320d after a stop light. I guess it would have taken me about 12 seconds to get to 120 then. The cops behind me overtook me with full drama and gave me a ticket for reckless driving and they were really pissed because of my total lack of responsability!
Haha!
Cars have really come a long way in improvements since then.
Appreciate 0