Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Dinan B46 Tune for the 330i

05-08-2022, 11:00 PM   #1
ztech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Dinan B46 Tune for the 330i

So I finally got to test the Dinan B46 flash tune, on my 2019 330i (rwd). What was holding me back, initially, was the fact that it is a bench flash, and I didn't want to drop my car off at a shop, and potentially be without a ride for a week+. I then watched the 1 minute video on the Dinan Website, and realized the process of removing and reinstalling the DME was extremely simple and would have a faster turn-around than I expected. I overnighted the DME to Dinan, and Dinan overnighted it back to me, at no cost. I think it's worth saying, if you feel intimated by the whole process - don't be. It doesn't require good dexterity, soldering skills ect. You just disconnect your battery's negative (black) terminal in the trunk, with a small socket wrench, unplug 5 or 6 connecters on the DME, and pull out the DME. Reverse the process for reinstalling your tuned DME, once you get it back. It really is a plug & play process. And, of course, if I can do it, anyone can (I can't even do oil changes).

THE TUNE

The B46 bench tune applies to the G01/G02/G20/G29/G30 bodystyle. There are a number of octane configurations for the tune, from 91, 93, 100, and 104. I went for the 93 tune, advertised as 50hp/52tq (Crank), or 44HP/47TQ at the wheels. That's 323hp/359tq at the crank, or 286hp/331tq at the wheel.

DRIVING THE CAR

On Saturday, I took the day off, to go to a the local shop and swapped out my old plugs for new, stock plugs, (NGK 94201).
I turned the car on, with a half tank of 93 octane, and not driving more than a couple hundred feet, still at legal speeds, I noticed a significant improvement in throttle response. I hooked up Bimmerlink and kept one eye on a dozen, or so, parameters. I drove around for ~6+ hours or so that day, with no faults. The extra power/torque was definitely noticeable in the way the car accelerates I did a few highway passes, recording 24.1 PSI at the sensor, through Bimmerlink. However, to take caution, I was only applying light to moderate throttle - no WOT pulls on that first testing day. But even at moderate throttle the car sounded louder too - noticeably louder from the engine, not from the fake BMW note (which I, personally, like). And of course, it is all complimented by the cool exhaust pops.

Dinan explicitly states that they have optimized torque by gear strategies. I can verify that the tune worked very smoothly with the stock transmission. I didn't get any harsh kicks, in any mode/gear, even on my second day testing, applying WOT. The tune utilizes good shifting strategies, any no hiccups to note. And remember, the ZF8 in the 330i is rated for 406 lb-ft (although not sure about the gearbox though), so that should give people some peace of mind with all the extra power that comes with the Dinan tune.

In sport mode, the tune keeps a lower coolant target temperature, and this is visible on the temp gauge, which sits one or two notches lower than center. Other changes to the instrument cluster, are Boost (30PSI), Horsepower (320hp), and Torque (400lb/ft).

On the second day, I made a couple of lame attempts at the 0-60, and couldn't get a good launch. Part of the problem is likely my scrawny, 8 inch rear rims, on 245's - the staggered setup, with 8.5 inch rims, and 255 in the rear, is recommended. The other part of the problem, I admit, is my lack of skill launching RWD cars. As much as I wanted a 0-60 run, I really don't want abuse my drivetrain, with hard launches, trying to get a good number (there is a good reason why many car enthusiasts care about 60-130MPH nowadays). So instead of relying on the 0-60 MPH, I decided on an arbitrary, but still very useful, 60 to 100MPH (rolling from about 30 MPH). I only did a couple WOT launches and both returned very similar acceleration profiles (maxing at 25.4 PSI Boost). I was able to compare the time for my 60 - 100 MPH interval to another 330i owner, on Youtube, running JB4 Map 3 (given his video description, possibly with even some Ethanol AND a downpipe). Remember, this was done on a closed, private road. As it turns out, my 60 - 100MPH time appeared nearly identical to the JB4 Map 3 runs. And I should noted that the JB4 Map 3 330i did a Dragy verified 5.07s 0-60, and 13.48s quarter mile@ 104 MPH (without even subtracting 1ft rollout). It's a very fair, though not an entirely certain expectation, that the Dinan tune can achieve similar 0-60/quarter mile acceleration numbers, given a decent launch. And again, that guy (Youtube user name: Rear Wheeled) might have been using a downpipe and some ethanol - it's hard to tell from his video description.

Anyways, I've created a frame aligned, side-by-side, video comparison between my car, and the JB4 (Map 3) tuned 330i (in the inset).

*********ACCELERATION VIDEO **********
https://youtu.be/S6OotSq8kA8

As for piggy backs, while they do have the convenience of install/removal, I found this Dinan tune, to be very easy to install by myself. In fact, I can recall my JB4 installs for my other cars were more challenging than this (especially wiring through or around the firewall part). Still, a piggyback can be removed more easily for a quick run to the dealer - a flash tune can't - although that advantage doesn't matter if you are out of warranty. But speaking of warranty, Dinan will actually match the factory warranty, if you go with the Dinan+ tune. As far as I know, you can't say that about any other G20 tune, right now.

(SEE UPDATE ON TUNE BELOW!!!!)

Attached Images

Last edited by ztech; 05-17-2022 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: Update on tune
Appreciate 8
      05-09-2022, 09:42 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
ztech132.00
      05-09-2022, 12:19 PM   #3
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330xi m-sport

Would you consider the increased burbles OEM+ as well or are they overdone? I love a good burble but sometimes they are excessive. Knowing Dinan I'm thinking that's not the case..
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2022, 01:17 PM   #4
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bquatt View Post
Would you consider the increased burbles OEM+ as well or are they overdone? I love a good burble but sometimes they are excessive. Knowing Dinan I'm thinking that's not the case..

No, not overdone. I find too many burbles to be juvenile for my personal taste.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2022, 01:22 PM   #5
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztech View Post
Quote:

No, not overdone. I find too many burbles to be juvenile for my personal taste.
Agreed. Glad to hear. Man I really don't know that I can wait another 1.5 yrs to pull the trigger on this tune. I might have to kiss the power train warranty goodbye or opt for Dinan +

The OTA updates haven't even been close to worth it so losing those won't be a big deal.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 03:57 PM   #6
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Agreed. Glad to hear. Man I really don't know that I can wait another 1.5 yrs to pull the trigger on this tune. I might have to kiss the power train warranty goodbye or opt for Dinan +

The OTA updates haven't even been close to worth it so losing those won't be a big deal.
Dinan tune is $499 without matcging factory warranty. Dinan+ is $899. To be honest, whenever the tuner has given me the option of buying the warranty - I don't bother with it. I figure if they are that confident to match the factory power-train, then it's not even worth adding a warranty. Just my pseudo-logic.

Last edited by ztech; 05-10-2022 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 08:58 AM   #7
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Flash still treating you well? Everyday drivability and everything all that you'd hoped for?
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 11:34 AM   #8
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

Any idea if there will be an option for a remote unlock for 2019 cars? Or do you have to bench unlock for all of them? I’m interested, but the idea of sending my DME in doesn’t sound as appetizing. Or they could make a dinantronics X and i will just buy that.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 12:13 PM   #9
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
Any idea if there will be an option for a remote unlock for 2019 cars? Or do you have to bench unlock for all of them? I'm interested, but the idea of sending my DME in doesn't sound as appetizing. Or they could make a dinantronics X and i will just buy that.
https://www.dinancars.com/products/s...arts/D440-0145
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 06:00 PM   #10
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M850i, 22 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
Any idea if there will be an option for a remote unlock for 2019 cars? Or do you have to bench unlock for all of them? I’m interested, but the idea of sending my DME in doesn’t sound as appetizing. Or they could make a dinantronics X and i will just buy that.
If you are going the Dinan piggyback route, save yourself some money and go with the Sport.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...12&postcount=7
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 07:17 PM   #11
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Flash still treating you well? Everyday drivability and everything all that you'd hoped for?

As for 0-60, I've realized there isn't much of an improvement with the tune - as is the case with a lot of people with JB4. As for mid, to high range, there is a significant improvement, but I've come across cars reporting similar hp/tq, to be even faster. For example, Vipins JB4 330i, or this European tuner on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM7I0fttuF8&t=439s

My car appears as fast as this guy's car, who is on JB4, possibly running corn AND a downpipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQB51Xtig_4&t=269s

That being said, Car and Driver shows the 60-100mph time on a stock 330i RWD to be 9 seconds https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/. My tuned Dinan is doing 60-100mph in about 7.2 seconds.

I'm happy with the tune, but I will admit that the G20 can be tuned to be even faster. It think it's hard to get much faster without coming across the perfect OTS map for your car, or investing time/money in custom tuning.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2022, 07:49 PM   #12
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Below is a video of my stock 330 xDrive doing a rough 0-60+ acceleration. Feel free to use it for comparison if you have any similar recordings.

https://youtube.com/shorts/n_ddivL4nIs?feature=share
Appreciate 1
ztech132.00
      05-16-2022, 09:39 PM   #13
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
As for 0-60, I've realized there isn't much of an improvement with the tune - as is the case with a lot of people with JB4. As for mid, to high range, there is a significant improvement, but I've come across cars reporting similar hp/tq, to be even faster. For example, Vipins JB4 330i, or this European tuner on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM7I0fttuF8&t=439s

My car appears as fast as this guy's car, who is on JB4, possibly running corn AND a downpipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQB51Xtig_4&t=269s

That being said, Car and Driver shows the 60-100mph time on a stock 330i RWD to be 9 seconds https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/. My tuned Dinan is doing 60-100mph in about 7.2 seconds.

I'm happy with the tune, but I will admit that the G20 can be tuned to be even faster. It think it's hard to get much faster without coming across the perfect OTS map for your car, or investing time/money in custom tuning.
Do you have E85 available locally? Ask Dinan if it's okay to run a couple of gallons of E85 and if that will help?

My car does 60-100mph in 6.5-6.7s consistently. But that is with a map 6 on JB4 and 3.3 gallons E85 with 93aki for a full tank.

For just a tune and no other mods, your numbers seem to be good.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 02:20 PM   #14
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
UPDATE ON TUNE !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Do you have E85 available locally? Ask Dinan if it's okay to run a couple of gallons of E85 and if that will help?

My car does 60-100mph in 6.5-6.7s consistently. But that is with a map 6 on JB4 and 3.3 gallons E85 with 93aki for a full tank.

For just a tune and no other mods, your numbers seem to be good.

That's what I thought too, but I found several videos of G20 60-100MPH times, all about 7.3ish seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs2iyT44dJs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM7I0fttuF8

Unfortunately, I've discovered that the 'noticeable increase' in performance with this tune, was only relative to some type of limp mode, or reduced map setting, from my previous tune (DM Tuning). In other words, I foolishly thought my car was stock power, before I added the Dinan tune (and then changed spark plugs)- so I overrated the performance gain. The improvement was actually from me just going back to stock plugs, back to stock power. While I've enjoyed the short delusion, it's was sad to discover, as far as 0-60/60-100 MPH acceleration numbers, the Dinan tune wasn't actually doing ANYTHING for my car.

Believe it or not, I purchased a 3rd tune and flashed it over my Dinan Tune: BOOTMOD, STAGE 1 93 OTS TUNE.
Now, the car is returning ~6.5ish second 60-100 times, consistently. Off the line it is clearly much faster. So much faster, I find it completely pointless to actually do a 0-60mph
Gain is on par with this Eurotuner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM7I0fttuF8 or your custom mapped JB4 tune on E85 mix.

Instead of finalizing my conclusions, again, I will hold off my opinion for a week or so. But so far I've put around 250+ miles on it with BM3, and datalogs show no knocks, misfires, normal IAT, Turbo Target vs Actual, timings are even across cylinders ect, ect. All true on STOCK PLUGS, NO OTHER MODS, 82-93 degrees outside air temp. Shifting is noticeably harder, though not to the point it feels like you are getting rear ended. The tunes description, does imply that the firmer shifts have been intentionally strategized.

In case anyone wants to know, my engine is designated B48B20O, according to bimmercat
https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/vin_search

This is all ironic, because I had been biased against against BM3, and criticized their OTS tunes as being somewhat risky, due to their apparently murky sources, and limited descriptions. I chose them last, over the rest. I now realize that BM3 may have one huge advantage over competitors, given their large customer base - they are constantly getting a plethora of feedback about their tunes. Feedback, that in theory, should help to converge on the necessary refinements to give the safest, and most powerful, OTS tunes. I can only hope BootMod's empirical (experimental) advantage works for my case. We'll see what happens.........again.

Last edited by ztech; 05-17-2022 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 2
VipinLJ1941.50
bquatt218.50
      05-17-2022, 08:16 PM   #15
RO-CK
Private
Rep
Drives: G07 / G20 / F22

Thanks for your feedback on the Dinan tune, can I ask why did you remove the NGK spark plugs? Where they the reason you car was going into limp mode? I'm considering upgrading my plugs to this NGK specific model so I have a more stable acceleration on the whole torque curve.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 08:44 PM   #16
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RO-CK View Post
Thanks for your feedback on the Dinan tune, can I ask why did you remove the NGK spark plugs? Where they the reason you car was going into limp mode? I'm considering upgrading my plugs to this NGK specific model so I have a more stable acceleration on the whole torque curve.

Cheers
Yes, because my original plugs had 39K miles on them, a local shop put me on NGK plugs (SILZKGR8E8S), a slightly different plug, and set to a smaller gap than stock (.027 vs .030 stock). For a day or so, the DME tune worked fine, but then the DME tune or maybe BMW stock safety measure, took the timing/boost back to what felt like stock parameters. But when I got the Dinan tune, it wasn't making a difference with those NGK plugs, gapped at .027. So I figured, the issue may be the plugs, and had them changed again to NGK plugs - this time, to the equivalent stock plugs (.030 gap); NGK SILZKGR8B8S. With those plugs, the car seemed noticeably faster than before, so I thought the Dinan tune was working, but from what I've come to understand, mainly by comparing acceleration figures around the internet, is that my car was actually performing at stock. Basically, the new plugs are what restored my performance from pseudo-limp mode, back up to stock - it wasn't the tune that was an improvement over stock. Silly Me.

Last edited by ztech; 05-17-2022 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1941.50
      05-18-2022, 05:50 PM   #17
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Anyone know how to read Bootmod datalogs?

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6282...0b43790f9307b6
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 06:59 PM   #18
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I doubt you'll have much luck here. Probably better to try N54tech. Any BM3 acceleration videos?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 07:13 PM   #19
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M850i, 22 X6 M50i

Quote:
Anyone know how to read Bootmod datalogs?

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6282...0b43790f9307b6
For a proper log turn DCT completely off, Sport or Sport+, manual shifting, be in 3rd gear between 2000 - 2500 RPM and floor it until redline and then let off.
Appreciate 1
ztech132.00
      05-19-2022, 07:30 AM   #20
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
For a proper log turn DCT completely off, Sport or Sport+, manual shifting, be in 3rd gear between 2000 - 2500 RPM and floor it until redline and then let off.

Thanks. From all the feedback I've gotten, the car is running normal.

https://www.bootmod3.net/log?id=6285...2mM7x3ZNy22V0E
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 10:19 AM   #21
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Please. Get a dragy and get some numbers. I'd love to see what a flashed stage 1 car does with no ethanol. If it's similar to my map 6 numbers, I'll be going that way too!
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
bquatt218.50
      05-20-2022, 08:40 PM   #22
ztech
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Please. Get a dragy and get some numbers. I'd love to see what a flashed stage 1 car does with no ethanol. If it's similar to my map 6 numbers, I'll be going that way too!

This guy is on stage 2 (with a downpipe/intake). 4.8 second 0-60 :

Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1941.50