Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW Advanced Car Eye 2.0 OEM dash cam accessory

04-02-2019, 06:41 PM   #1
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

BMW Advanced Car Eye 2.0 OEM dash cam accessory

I received an email from BMW announcing their new dash cam, so I looked it up. Could they make it any uglier or more obvious.

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/PRODUCT/6...ogyaccessories
      04-02-2019, 06:47 PM   #2
xQx
General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i (E88 N54 6AT)

Only if they'd really tried.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 07:20 PM   #3
flavius
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 440i Gran Coupe

Obvious is not all bad, I'd say. I'll take a close look. Thanks for sharing.
      04-02-2019, 07:25 PM   #4
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
I like it. Thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 07:47 PM   #5
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

For $500, you can get a FULL 2CH and WAY better system setup for a little over half the cost of BMW's.
Appreciate 2
      04-02-2019, 07:51 PM   #6
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
For $500, you can get a FULL 2CH and WAY better system setup for a little over half the cost of BMW's.
That is contradicting...

BMW setup is just $460...

Are you saying that you can get better for $250?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 07:55 PM   #7
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Also: New BMW Wireless Charging Station

I got the same e-mail about the Advanced Car Eye 2.0 (p/n 66212457032) and it also contained a link to the BMW Wireless Charging Station (p/n 84102461531).

I found that the price varies depending on which BMW Center you select at shopbmwusa.com.

For example, Pacific BMW in Glendale (ZIP 91204) has the Advanced Car Eye 2.0 for $390.15, compared to $459 at my local centers. The Wireless Charging Station is $160.65 compared to $189.

Pacific BMW came up when I did a Google search using the part numbers. Other centers may have higher or lower prices, but it pays to shop around.

I'm interested in the Wireless Charging Station because it's like a 3-in-1 device:
"The station enables you to wirelessly charge Qi-compatible mobile phones of almost all conventional sizes. An integral power bank means that wireless charging is also possible outside the car. The additional USB type C input and output means that the mobile phone can be charged without wireless charging and the power bank can be charged outside the car. Consists of two components: the socket (holder, installed in the cup holder) and the charger (with integral power bank). The socket and charger can be interconnected for use as a charging station in the car. The charger with integral power bank can simply be taken out of the socket for use as a mobile power bank and inductive charging point."

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 07:59 PM   #8
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
That is contradicting...

BMW setup is just under $500?

Are you saying that you can get better for $250?
I should rephrase...
For $460, you can get a 2CH setup that is way better than BMW's eye 2.0 and doesn't like a lunchbox in the middle of your windshield
Appreciate 3
sspade2460.00
jkoral1016.00
      04-02-2019, 08:01 PM   #9
sspade
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 320i  [7.87]
2014 BMW 328i  [6.83]
Quote:
I should rephrase...
For $460, you can get a 2CH setup that is way better than BMW's eye 2.0 and doesn't like a lunchbox in the middle of your windshield
That about clears it up!

Ive always been hesitant at installing an aftermarket one because of the potential for wiring mess to deal with.

Thats why the OEM option is appealing but I could be completely off on this sentiment.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 08:09 PM   #10
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspade View Post
That about clears it up!

Ive always been hesitant at installing an aftermarket one because of the potential for wiring mess to deal with.

Thats why the OEM option is appealing but I could be completely off on this sentiment.
Don't be hesitant about it. I've installed dash cams ranging from $50 to $450 in both all of my vehicles and my parents. Even the Mini 0805 at 1296p resolution did the job quite well. I currently have the DDPAI Mini 3 hardwired via fuse tap.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 08:17 PM   #11
xQx
General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Don't be hesitant about it. I've installed dash cams ranging from $50 to $450 in both all of my vehicles and my parents. Even the Mini 0805 at 1296p resolution did the job quite well. I currently have the DDPAI Mini 3 hardwired via fuse tap.
I haven't installed dashcams in any of my cars because in Australia there's no tried and tested legislation that prevents your footage being subpoenaed and used against you if you are disputing a serious traffic offence in court.

If you live in the states, it should fall under under the protections of the 5th amendment; but I also believe this hasn't yet been tested by SCOTUS.

I guess if you're innocent, you've got nothing to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 09:20 PM   #12
BeEmVe
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 X1 x28i M-Sport

Oooo, Includes free SD card. That will make the sale.
Appreciate 1
xQx902.50
      04-02-2019, 11:13 PM   #13
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
I haven't installed dashcams in any of my cars because in Australia there's no tried and tested legislation that prevents your footage being subpoenaed and used against you if you are disputing a serious traffic offence in court.

If you live in the states, it should fall under under the protections of the 5th amendment; but I also believe this hasn't yet been tested by SCOTUS.

Don’t most of these only keep the data long term only in the case of accident? Meaning, in normal operation they only keep the last few minutes. Plus you can erase it all with a push of a button.

So what would be there to subpoena?

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 12:39 AM   #14
xQx
General
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Don’t most of these only keep the data long term only in the case of accident? Meaning, in normal operation they only keep the last few minutes. Plus you can erase it all with a push of a button.

If you're doing a fast drive-by, nothing at all.

But if you hit something, it's going to record and keep the data long term.
Most cameras keep the events leading up to a collision in memory, which is automatically saved in a collision. So if you were exceeding the speed limit right before the accident, your dashcam is going to have that on record.

This means if you hit something and there's a dashcam in the car; the only reason it wouldn't have a recording of the events leading up to the accident would be because it was in the car but turned off (which is pretty unlikely), or had been manually deleted.

Now, while I doubt a "destroying evidence" charge is ever going to stick, it'd certainly be making a point of it if I were the prosecution:

"The defendant had a dash-cam in the car at the time of the accident; and the model in question is configured out of the box to automatically record in the event of an accident - so it should contain vital footage which would confirm the defendant's version of events and prove their innocence.

Unfortunately, it doesn't contain any footage at the time of the event. Which would only be the case if it were unplugged at the time of the incident or manually deleted by the defendant. "
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 03:16 AM   #15
Majest
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp HS '18,X4M Comp TR '19

I'm using this device for 4 months already. Pretty nice cam and looks harmonious inside the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 05:59 AM   #16
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
I also got the email. I've been contemplating getting a dash cam but have held off for the reasons stated. I'm leaning more towards getting one as the boundless stupidity of drivers these days is getting out hand. I think the pros outweigh the cons.
      04-03-2019, 08:51 AM   #17
aaaaah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Nuggets

BMW: Offers branded dash cam set up

Also BMW: Does not provide location next to rear view mirror to plug in dashcam requiring cables to be run around the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 10:29 AM   #18
shadowfax
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majest View Post
I'm using this device for 4 months already. Pretty nice cam and looks harmonious inside the vehicle.
Where did you install the front camera?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 10:38 AM   #19
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:

Most cameras keep the events leading up to a collision in memory, which is automatically saved in a collision. So if you were exceeding the speed limit right before the accident, your dashcam is going to have that on record.

This means if you hit something and there's a dashcam in the car; the only reason it wouldn't have a recording of the events leading up to the accident would be because it was in the car but turned off (which is pretty unlikely), or had been manually deleted.

Now, while I doubt a "destroying evidence" charge is ever going to stick, it'd certainly be making a point of it if I were the prosecution:

"The defendant had a dash-cam in the car at the time of the accident; and the model in question is configured out of the box to automatically record in the event of an accident - so it should contain vital footage which would confirm the defendant's version of events and prove their innocence.

Unfortunately, it doesn't contain any footage at the time of the event. Which would only be the case if it were unplugged at the time of the incident or manually deleted by the defendant. "
In addition, in a comparative negligence jurisdiction, if you were driving over the speed limit, it is likely that a court would find that you were at least partially responsible cutting your recovery even if the other driver was totally wrong.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 03:40 PM   #20
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
In addition, in a comparative negligence jurisdiction, if you were driving over the speed limit, it is likely that a court would find that you were at least partially responsible cutting your recovery even if the other driver was totally wrong.
Lol I don't know exactly what you guys are talking about with all this mumbo jumbo... Making it more complicated than it really is

A dash cam is to do one thing and one thing only: Record what the driver see and cannot see. In a lot of asian countries, there's rampant insurance fraud where pedestrians would literally run up to a car and claim that a car hit them.

For me, in the U.S., I'm most concerned about accidents and people hitting ME and other stupid shit that happens on the road. It makes insurance or whatever I need to deal with so much easier.

The last minor incident I had was when I was turning from the main road into a small street that had a stop sign. The lady clearly blew past the stop sign and clipped my rear rim as I turned. Her bumper got shredded and blamed it on me that I "TURNED INTO HER LANE" when the cops came. I said F that, downloaded the footage I needed from my camera, handed it off to my insurance, and got my deductible back within DAYS. Had everything replaced OEM, BMW collision shop, rental car, whatever the cost they paid, no questions asked and no push-back...
Appreciate 1
      04-03-2019, 07:11 PM   #21
FreddyBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 40i iSTEP 07/2020.54

I'm interested in getting the dashcam but because I am new to the BMW brand, I have a few questions;

1. Does the Price stated on BMW Shop site include both Front and Rear dashcams?
2. After clicking Add to cart, it asks for a ZIP Code and then lists a nearby dealership. Does the price include the installation from the listed dealer or would there be a separate installation charge? If so, how much, in general, it would cost to have it installed?

Thanks in advance!!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 07:17 PM   #22
shadowfax
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

It says the rear camera is included in the package.

I don't believe that price includes installation. I came across one BMW pdf that listed the installation as 2 hours.
Appreciate 0