Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications NEW RELEASE: Dinan BMW G20 M340i Axle Back Exhaust Systems

10-24-2022, 02:24 PM   #617
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinwithay View Post
The “drone” that everyone seems to report is what’s got me on the fence about the Dinan, but I also feel like a lot of people may just be hypersensitive and are not used to aftermarket exhausts. I’m also catless and I’ve heard some people say the valves don’t make enough of a difference.
I've definitely had exhausts that drone a lot - I don't really think this is one to complain about.

My 2nd car is a Honda S2000 with a SuperSprint exhaust and at highway speeds that definitely drones, especially with the top down you can hear it droning a lot.

In terms of the valves not making a big difference - from inside the car, it doesn't sound like night and day, except for the pops and bangs. It is more subtle (although still definitely noticeable), but outside you can definitely hear the difference.

Last edited by Liquid_Ice; 10-25-2022 at 07:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 02:34 AM   #618
dustwhyn
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post
I've definitely had exhausts that drone a lot - I don't really think this is one to complain about.

My 2nd car is a Honda S2000 with a SuperSprint exhaust and at highway speeds that definitely drones, especially with the top down you can hear it droning a lot.

In terms of the valves not making a big difference - from inside the car, it doesn't sound like night and day, except for the pops and bangs. It is more subtle (although still definitely noticeable), but outside you can definitely hear the difference.
Exhaust shopping is hard. I wish I could just line up all of the different options somewhere in SoCal and compare them side by side lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 04:44 AM   #619
vlavot
Rep
Drives: BMW m340i

Such a nice exhaust, was wondering will this fit my EU German Build m340i opf? Has anyone tried it yet?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2023, 09:43 AM   #620
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlavot View Post
Such a nice exhaust, was wondering will this fit my EU German Build m340i opf? Has anyone tried it yet?
I do not believe our German partners have done a test fitment yet but will send them a note to verify. In the early release days there were 2 units that were sent to the UK which did not fit however. Even though the factory part numbers for the exhaust and heat shielding are the same between EU/US variants there appears to be some change in those vehicle that made one of the valve motors/brackets contact the heat shielding. From the pictures we saw it appears the exhaust side cavities in general were slightly different for reasons unknown.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2023, 11:21 AM   #621
ukr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

Exhaust tips look boring, time to offer carbon.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 04:14 PM   #622
Randy Johnson
BM3
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Wow 2 G's for some pipes and a muffler... Outrageous...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2023, 07:05 PM   #623
apwm340i
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 20 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Johnson View Post
Wow 2 G's for some pipes and a muffler... Outrageous...
2g’s for valved exhaust that sounds good yes! Definitely worth it
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2023, 05:58 PM   #624
siegester
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustwhyn View Post
The “drone” that everyone seems to report is what’s got me on the fence about the Dinan, but I also feel like a lot of people may just be hypersensitive and are not used to aftermarket exhausts. I’m also catless and I’ve heard some people say the valves don’t make enough of a difference.
I've run a RSX-S with 3" straight pipe and atmospheric wastegate, it was far less annoying than the dinan the first few hundred miles. I've also run several hondas catless with straight through mufflers, and a muffler-less n68. So im familiar with being loud and drone. I am admittedly more sensitive to it in my older age, but still have no issues driving an old smallblock v8 ford truck with straight pipes 🤷.

The bright side is that after 500 or so miles the dinans drone calmed down a LOT, and is only annoying on cold starts near a wall now (but only very very mildly now). It's not the volume that is/was the issue, but the frequency. it resonates painfully and was rattling the inside if the car for a while. All in all, I kove the dinans sound after the break-in period and would recommend it. (I would still prefer smaller tips though.)

The valves barely make a difference, but are notcieable after break-in. i do enjoy the few decibel drop in the the neighborhood, but wish it was a little more effective.

For extra context, my wife has been with me through all but 1 loud car over the last 20 years, and it literally caused her pain too. the kids (11 and 5) were straight up frightened due to the discomfort, despite me almost always having loud cars with no issues before (and still enjoying the much louder truck)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2023, 10:43 PM   #625
Sucio186
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3401 RWD

Does anyone know where to purchase a CF diffuser that works with the Dinan quad 4” tips?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2023, 10:54 AM   #626
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Name:  G2x_M440i_Exhaust_Forum.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  355.8 KB

First post has been updated but as the image above states -- the Dinan G20 M340i / G22 M440i exhaust has finally been confirmed to also fit the convertible (G23) and Gran Coupe (G26) as well.

Black tipped systems are in stock as of this morning (albeit I am sure they will go quickly) and a batch of polished tipped systems are due off the line next week so get them while you can!
Appreciate 1
Dan B232.00
      10-12-2023, 11:01 AM   #627
CarGuy954
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

It looks like a well made exhaust but, the price seems high for it not being completely cat back. I think they need to be more completitive on the price, considering Mad Exhaust is priced quite lower and you dont have to cut anything.
Appreciate 1
Seba77W363.50