Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Audiotec Fischer release an amp / harness for iDrive7

01-26-2022, 07:29 PM   #221
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Understand that the PP62DSP current draw is about 20A, and the UP 7DSP is about 50A, and this current is being drawn thru the OEM RAM wiring which is rated to up to 20A in the base system.

The reason of connecting these amps directly to the battery is not to mess up the OEM wiring when the amp draw current in excess of the OEM wiring capacity.
Is the OEM harness only rated to 20A even on the HK or HiFi setup? Doesn't sound like using it as a power source is a good idea if that's the case. Or is there a lower gauge wire in the harness?

I've just skimmed this thread again and it seems like everyone has run power from the battery - has anyone used the OEM harness?

Last edited by AustraliaG20; 01-26-2022 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 07:48 PM   #222
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustraliaG20 View Post
Is the OEM harness only rated to 20A even on the HK or HiFi setup? Doesn't sound like using it as a power source is a good idea if that's the case. Or is there a lower gauge wire in the harness?

I've just skimmed this thread again and it seems like everyone has run power from the battery - has anyone used the OEM harness?
The OEM harness is rated to the RAM and the Booster max current draw, nothing more.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 05:09 AM   #223
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
The OEM harness is rated to the RAM and the Booster max current draw, nothing more.
But... you mentioned that the harness was rated up to 20A 'in the base system', or do you actually mean it's rated to 20A in all audio configurations (base, HiFi, HK etc)? Or it is different per configuration?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 05:34 AM   #224
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
But... you mentioned that the harness was rated up to 20A 'in the base system', or do you actually mean it's rated to 20A in all audio configurations (base, HiFi, HK etc)? Or it is different per configuration?
The RAM is drawing the 20A of the OEM harness. You want to increase the rated max current draw of the OEM harness by connecting an amp to it instead to the battery as it must.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 12:56 AM   #225
2dangerous
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6 40i

Hi all, I have a G06 with HiFI 676 and crossposting this as i feel I may find an answer here.

Anyone try MATCH UP 10DSP Amp on HiFi with the MATCH PP-BMW 1.7RAM Harness? I am adding HK speakers on rear D Pillars as well as rear door tweeters (though i think these would just feed off the rear door speakers), so was trying to see what would work.

Long Story: I purchased HK speakers/Sub-Woofers and Ram & Booster. I've installed almost all the direct replacement speakers, just waiting on door handles (they're different for HK vs. HiFi as they have space for tweeters) and D Pillar covers to arrive. The RAM replacement from HiFi to HK isn't straight forward and also, there is a pink connector (Sirius/XM connector, I am in US and this was purchased from a European G06) input missing on the HK Ram/Booster. So the local shop recommended JL Audio XD800/8v2 along with a DSP. They said leave the middle dash setup with the HiFi amp and run everything else off the JL Amp. So that made me think if I can run everything off a 10 Channel Amp. Plug n Play Amp MATCH UP 7BMW looks similar to the 10DSP and the connectors look the same for the most part so that had me wondering if I can get the 10DSP and connect it to the HiFi RAM with the MATCH PP-BMW 1.7RAM Harness and modify it then run the rear D Pillar speakers off the remaining channels. I’ll need to look at the connector diagram and modify the harness a little looks like. The Rear Ins will be from the RAM, however the outs will be to the D Pillar. The “surrounds” (in the rear doors) will just be outs from the Amp.

Open to suggestions/recommendations. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 07:49 AM   #226
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep

If the idea was to retrofit the HK system in your USA HiFi car, and using Euro parts then this was not going to work without the OEM HK harness, and a USA Booster anyways.

Your HK speaker set is made for a 9ch amp, so you can use the Match UP 7DSP and the PP-BMW 1.7RAM Harness as long as you wire the D-pillar rear speakers in parallel with the rear door side speakers - there is no wiring in your car for those D-pillar speakers, so you have to run those wires to the amp harness regardless.

That will give you 7ch and the install would be easier than trying to adapt a RAM harness to a Match 10 amp made for a RAM + Booster system. Ask Audiotec-Fischer for the wiring harness diagram so you know where to make the parallel connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dangerous View Post
Hi all, I have a G06 with HiFI 676 and crossposting this as i feel I may find an answer here.

Anyone try MATCH UP 10DSP Amp on HiFi with the MATCH PP-BMW 1.7RAM Harness? I am adding HK speakers on rear D Pillars as well as rear door tweeters (though i think these would just feed off the rear door speakers), so was trying to see what would work.

Long Story: I purchased HK speakers/Sub-Woofers and Ram & Booster. I've installed almost all the direct replacement speakers, just waiting on door handles (they're different for HK vs. HiFi as they have space for tweeters) and D Pillar covers to arrive. The RAM replacement from HiFi to HK isn't straight forward and also, there is a pink connector (Sirius/XM connector, I am in US and this was purchased from a European G06) input missing on the HK Ram/Booster. So the local shop recommended JL Audio XD800/8v2 along with a DSP. They said leave the middle dash setup with the HiFi amp and run everything else off the JL Amp. So that made me think if I can run everything off a 10 Channel Amp. Plug n Play Amp MATCH UP 7BMW looks similar to the 10DSP and the connectors look the same for the most part so that had me wondering if I can get the 10DSP and connect it to the HiFi RAM with the MATCH PP-BMW 1.7RAM Harness and modify it then run the rear D Pillar speakers off the remaining channels. I’ll need to look at the connector diagram and modify the harness a little looks like. The Rear Ins will be from the RAM, however the outs will be to the D Pillar. The “surrounds” (in the rear doors) will just be outs from the Amp.

Open to suggestions/recommendations. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2022, 08:02 PM   #227
2dangerous
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6 40i

Quote:

Your HK speaker set is made for a 9ch amp, so you can use the Match UP 7DSP and the PP-BMW 1.7RAM Harness as long as you wire the D-pillar rear speakers in parallel with the rear door side speakers - there is no wiring in your car for those D-pillar speakers, so you have to run those wires to the amp harness regardless.

That will give you 7ch and the install would be easier than trying to adapt a RAM harness to a Match 10 amp made for a RAM + Booster system. Ask Audiotec-Fischer for the wiring harness diagram so you know where to make the parallel connection.
Thanks Encanto . This is helpful. I received similar advice from Technic PnP shop. I had reached out to them to see if their harness would work with the Match 10Amp. They said No need for a Match 10DSP; use a Match UP 7DSP, MEC-Analog add-on module and the PP-BMW 1.7RAM harness to your RAM, and wire the D-pillars speakers to the rear channels of the PP-BMW 1.7RAM harness. Rear speakers are connector pins 37(+)/38(-) Left rear, and 39(+)/40(-) Right rear. That would be 6ch inputs and 9ch outputs, enough for all the speakers that you are installing.

I think this would be the least complex situation. Now gotta source the amp
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 07:06 AM   #228
RawDog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2022 M340I Xdrive

Looks like they discontinued the AF amp, is my only other option the 999$ amp from kies,bimmtech etc?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 02:32 PM   #229
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Unless I've missed something it isn't discontinued... what makes you say that?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 03:09 PM   #230
RawDog
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Unless I've missed something it isn't discontinued... what makes you say that?
Their website
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2022, 03:41 PM   #231
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskanAlien View Post
Their website
https://www.audiotec-fischer.de/en/m...ifiers/up-7dsp
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2022, 01:22 PM   #232
RawDog
Private First Class
Rep

What does this amp+cables cost in USD?
Looks like bimmertechs audiofischer is like 1300$. Is this a cheaper option?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 04:42 AM   #233
tspare
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

Using 7DSP as a 7BMW

I was wondering if the experts on this thread can share if the match up 7DSP and 7BMW is the identical unit. I can get a good deal on a 7DSP but my car (2018 X3 G01) will work with 7BMW. Is the only difference between 7DSP and 7BMW is the MATCH PP-BMW 1.7HIFI harness? Could I buy the MATCH PP-BMW 1.7HIFI to use with the match up 7dsp (i.e 7BMW == PP-BMW 1.7HIFI + 7DSP)? Thank you in advance for your help.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 09:20 AM   #234
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspare View Post
I was wondering if the experts on this thread can share if the match up 7DSP and 7BMW is the identical unit. I can get a good deal on a 7DSP but my car (2018 X3 G01) will work with 7BMW. Is the only difference between 7DSP and 7BMW is the MATCH PP-BMW 1.7HIFI harness? Could I buy the MATCH PP-BMW 1.7HIFI to use with the match up 7dsp (i.e 7BMW == PP-BMW 1.7HIFI + 7DSP)? Thank you in advance for your help.
The 7DSP connects directly to the battery for power only, the 7BMW uses either the power of the OEM amp connector or battery connection.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 09:35 AM   #235
tspare
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The 7DSP connects directly to the battery for power only, the 7BMW uses either the power of the OEM amp connector or battery connection.
So this sounds like you can't just use the MATCH PP-BMW 1.7HIFI harness to get the power from the OEM amp connector to run the 7DSP. Is this right? I was hoping to still get the plug and play function via the 1.7 HIFI harness.

Thank you again for you help!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2022, 10:58 AM   #236
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspare View Post
So this sounds like you can't just use the MATCH PP-BMW 1.7HIFI harness to get the power from the OEM amp connector to run the 7DSP. Is this right? I was hoping to still get the plug and play function via the 1.7 HIFI harness.

Thank you again for you help!
Again, the 7DSP connects to the battery for power only. The 7DSP install manual shows it.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 06:56 AM   #237
tspare
Registered
Rep

Thank you. Wish these 2 amps were identical.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 03:47 PM   #238
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

I have the DSP and it's really easy to setup as the amp is close to the battery and plenty of space. Need a bit of extra cash though.

My only comment is around what Encanto said above - if the BMW harness is only rated for 20A power, then I'm not sure how using that is a good idea. I'm way out of details now, but given the max power draw of the amp (and using P=VI) and the amp has 25A fuses (from memory) then it seems like the weak point is the harness. Ie. There is every chance the harness will fail, not the fuses. You don't want to use the harness as a fuse... or does the OEM harness run through a 20A fuse in the fuse box than can be upgraded? I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer?

- Just looked up and the DSP and BMW amp states a minimum 10 AWG cable if short (30A) or 8 (40A) or 6 (55A) AWG if longer than 1m. So if the OEM harness is only 20A, then what's going on? Have I missed something?

Regardless, I would consider the DSP and running a separate power cable anyway.

Last edited by AustraliaG20; 04-02-2022 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2022, 04:57 PM   #239
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I have the DSP and it's really easy to setup as the amp is close to the battery and plenty of space. Need a bit of extra cash though.

My only comment is around what Encanto said above - if the BMW harness is only rated for 20A power, then I'm not sure how using that is a good idea. I'm way out of details now, but given the max power draw of the amp (and using P=VI) and the amp has 25A fuses (from memory) then it seems like the weak point is the harness. Ie. There is every chance the harness will fail, not the fuses. You don't want to use the harness as a fuse... or does the OEM harness run through a 20A fuse in the fuse box than can be upgraded? I'm not sure if anyone knows the answer?

- Just looked up and the DSP and BMW amp states a minimum 10 AWG cable if short (30A) or 8 (40A) or 6 (55A) AWG if longer than 1m. So if the OEM harness is only 20A, then what's going on? Have I missed something?

Regardless, I would consider the DSP and running a separate power cable anyway.
The MATCH PP-BMW 1.7HIFI is designed for the NBT/CIC HiFi system, where you replace the OEM amp with the UP 7BMW amp. This OEM amp is rated for 12V/40A power.

This harness is not designed for the RAM HiFi system. The correct harness for the RAM system and the UP 7DSP is the PP-BMW 1.7RAM. The RAM cannot be replaced with the UP 7DSP, and it cannot be used to power the UP 7DSP.

All this is explained in each Match amp installation manual. Read the manual before blowing fuses.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 05:43 AM   #240
Daywalker007
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Xdrive

Looks like Bimmertech no longer sells the HIFI replacement amp individually now. They require you to buy speakers with it which is a bummer because I only want to buy the amp. I reached out to other vendors that sell bimmertech and they have been instructed not to sell the amps individually anymore either.

I went on the Audiotec Fischer website but cannot find an amp that looks like the bimmertech model. I am guessing the Match Up BMW7 but the exterior plugs look pretty different.

Any advice or explanation on the difference would be appreciated since I have read that Bimmertech gets their stuff from Audiotech.

Last edited by Daywalker007; 04-12-2022 at 05:45 AM.. Reason: Edit
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2022, 06:47 AM   #241
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalker007 View Post
Looks like Bimmertech no longer sells the HIFI replacement amp individually now. They require you to buy speakers with it which is a bummer because I only want to buy the amp. I reached out to other vendors that sell bimmertech and they have been instructed not to sell the amps individually anymore either.

I went on the Audiotec Fischer website but cannot find an amp that looks like the bimmertech model. I am guessing the Match Up BMW7 but the exterior plugs look pretty different.

Any advice or explanation on the difference would be appreciated since I have read that Bimmertech gets their stuff from Audiotech.
The model number so you can compare is somewhere in this thread. But from memory the Bimmertech is the older version with slightly less power. But if you search back through the pages you'll see the conversation.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 09:37 AM   #242
george41
Rep
Drives: BMW G21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalker007 View Post

It’s It’s Match PP86DSP, not Match UP 7 BMW.
Appreciate 0