Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Considering M340, thoughts as owners?

01-26-2022, 01:30 PM   #45
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by oonowindoo View Post
But as far as the issue with engine off and radio stays on. You can go into setting and change it to Shut off when you open the door. So all your music should be off the moment you open the door.

The passenger side needs to open too if you have passenger in the car. It is kinda stupid IMO...
Yep, I had this experience as well and it was in fact just a simple adjustment with the settings as you described. I agree that it's stupid regarding the passenger side needing to open. Hey, if I'm getting out of the car, NO MORE MUSIC! I don't care about the passenger.
My music stays on if there's a passenger still in the car. I don't mind that.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 01:30 PM   #46
RoyB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i x

Quote:
I did notice more issues like some of the ones you mentioned after my newest update. But it is not that big of a deal.
The Android auto is annoying (it was never an issue before the update), a lot of times i had to manually start the AA, instead of auto connect.

But as far as the issue with engine off and radio stays on. You can go into setting and change it to Shut off when you open the door. So all your music should be off the moment you open the door.

The passenger side needs to open too if you have passenger in the car. It is kinda stupid IMO...
NICE. I will have to find that and click it. Dumb question, will it shut it off anytime a door opens, or only after you hit the start/stop? Sometimes I open the door because I can't tell if I am parked straight (this one didn't come with 360 cameras )
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 01:33 PM   #47
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
NICE. I will have to find that and click it. Dumb question, will it shut it off anytime a door opens, or only after you hit the start/stop? Sometimes I open the door because I can't tell if I am parked straight (this one didn't come with 360 cameras )
If you hit the unlock door button before opening the door, the system will stay on. Don't ask me why; there was a whole thread about this and I found out by trial and error. I think it might also depend on the drive mode. You might want to experiment.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 03:31 PM   #48
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
This is my 2nd BMW and I like it. I tried the X3M for 6 months and hated it.

The M340i handles great. Acceleration is great. Braking is great. I average 25-26 MPGs which is pretty amazing for the power and awd.

I have standard suspension because that's all that was on lot in 2021. The Adaptive cruise is one of the best I have used. I looked at 3 series in the past and have passed on them (for a Golf R). This redesigned model hit it off for me in the looks and interior.

My only complaint are the electronics are so flaky on this car. Sometimes everything works great. Other times stuff just stops working. I assume this is BMW across the line though.
Curious why you didn't like the X3M?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 03:42 PM   #49
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i RWD

Quote:
Yep, I had this experience as well and it was in fact just a simple adjustment with the settings as you described. I agree that it's stupid regarding the passenger side needing to open. Hey, if I'm getting out of the car, NO MORE MUSIC! I don't care about the passenger.
There are 2 issues with the way they designed it,

#1, the moment i leave the car, the car will lock when i walk away, so It kinda defeats the whole purpose of leaving the music on for the passenger since it will be turned off anyway. Depends who the passenger is, i am not leaving my key inside haha

Now think about it, WHY would it lock if i have passenger in the car? Isn't that kinda dangerous if you have kids? I know it locks because i locked my GF in the other day

#2. Sometimes, especially at night time, i really dont want my music to be heard from the outside when i open the door and having passenger will pretty much make sure everyone will hear the music unless i manually turn it off before i open the door.

Not a big deal, just some over engineered stuff that you dont necessarily need to experience in other cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 03:49 PM   #50
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
It will only shut off after you open the door when you turned off the car like you normally would, even tho most of the times you would not even notice the difference because of ASS.

If you just open the door with the car on or at least with the ASS still on, then i think the music would remain on until you lock the car.

It took me a few days to adjust after my F30, since when the car is OFF in F30, it means everything is Off. With G20, off only means... kinda off? maybe off?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 05:14 PM   #51
RoyB
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
Curious why you didn't like the X3M?
Here is my thread on it:

https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1762962

It looks like it may have Android Auto now, but not sure on the remote start. That one really caught me off-guard because what $80K car doesn't have remote start? The interior looks updated more like the current line of BMWs vs the 2020.

From a daily driver perspective, the M340i has excellent power delivery. Very usable off the line, as well as top-end. I haven't felt the need to increase the power. The X3M was so laggy off the line it wasn't fun to drive in traffic. From memory I think it had 2 regular turbos vs the single twin scroll on the M340i. Once those turbos spooled up it was stupid fast, but not usable at all under 60 mph. Plus the ride was horrendous.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 07:05 AM   #52
RoyB
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It will only shut off after you open the door when you turned off the car like you normally would, even tho most of the times you would not even notice the difference because of ASS.

If you just open the door with the car on or at least with the ASS still on, then i think the music would remain on until you lock the car.

It took me a few days to adjust after my F30, since when the car is OFF in F30, it means everything is Off. With G20, off only means... kinda off? maybe off?
I found the setting and it now shuts off when I open the door after turning the car off. However, now the auto lock doesn't work when I walk away from the car
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 10:54 AM   #53
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

Quote:
There's a pretty big difference with the Turbo model and the rest of the lineup. The standard Macan would be a waste of $$ in my opinion. Even the Macan S is questionable when considering how much they're charging for it and the performance you're getting. It might have been the shit a number of years ago but nowadays, not so sure.
The S is fine for most people. Porsche knows how to tune an engine.

If you haven't owned a Porsche, it's tough for me to describe the level of fit & finish and overall attention to detail. It is what it is. It spoils you.

BMW is no slouch, but in a quest to try to hit every single segment, they've lost a ton of exclusivity and it's now a very turn & burn experience. Again, it is what it is.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 1
TupperBMW976.50
      01-27-2022, 11:24 AM   #54
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin_Nicholas View Post
The S is fine for most people. Porsche knows how to tune an engine.

If you haven't owned a Porsche, it's tough for me to describe the level of fit & finish and overall attention to detail. It is what it is. It spoils you.

BMW is no slouch, but in a quest to try to hit every single segment, they've lost a ton of exclusivity and it's now a very turn & burn experience. Again, it is what it is.
Yes, I've owned a Porsche and understand what you're saying. As I said in a previous post, it depends on what the person really wants.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 12:38 PM   #55
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I found the setting and it now shuts off when I open the door after turning the car off. However, now the auto lock doesn't work when I walk away from the car
Did you double check the Lock settings?

Also something i noticed, if you put your key next to your phone in your pocket, a lot of the times even the comfort access stop working.

So dont leave your key and your phone in the same pocket.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 05:53 PM   #56
areohbeeM340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Had a 2015 335i M-Sport prior to mine and they really knocked it out the park with the G20 M340i
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2022, 04:09 PM   #57
wmoor086
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xDrive

I'm coming from a S5. Difference couldn't be more noticeable between the two vehicles, but particularly engine performance. Going back to an Audi seems impossible now.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2022, 08:40 PM   #58
Lightngsvt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 G20 M340i

Garage List
I tried to setup a test drive in an M340 today. I found a dealer about an hour away that has 2, after asking if their price of MSRP + marked up MF was set in stone I received no more replies. I have no problem going through a broker if they want to be like that. I did drive an Alfa Guilia Veloce today, very nice car, if a bit underpowered and not quite up to BMW build quality but almost $150/mo cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 11:37 AM   #59
SoCalM340i
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by areohbeeM340i View Post
Had a 2015 335i M-Sport prior to mine and they really knocked it out the park with the G20 M340i
Agreed, it's really the complete package and the Welterweight champion, to use a combat sports analogy. Mobile enough to give the Lightweight class cars a run for their money, powerful enough to run with the Light Heavyweights.
      01-30-2022, 12:49 PM   #60
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightngsvt View Post
I tried to setup a test drive in an M340 today. I found a dealer about an hour away that has 2, after asking if their price of MSRP + marked up MF was set in stone I received no more replies. I have no problem going through a broker if they want to be like that. I did drive an Alfa Guilia Veloce today, very nice car, if a bit underpowered and not quite up to BMW build quality but almost $150/mo cheaper.
I had an issue with inquiring with various dealerships trying to get generalized pricing on an M3 Comp. Out of the 4 dealerships I put an inquiry into, only 1 of them responded, and they told me there was an automatic $5k markup for any M car at their dealership. Fortunately, the guy that sold me my M340i was able to get an M3 Comp allocation at MSRP, so that solved that problem.

Lots of dealerships don't realize that people who are looking for cars right now remember when another dealership tries to screw them, so when all of this supply shortage mess is over, they will know to never touch that dealership again. However, my local dealership took care of me, and you'd better believe they have earned a long-lasting customer.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 07:37 PM   #61
Lightngsvt
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpistol View Post
I had an issue with inquiring with various dealerships trying to get generalized pricing on an M3 Comp. Out of the 4 dealerships I put an inquiry into, only 1 of them responded, and they told me there was an automatic $5k markup for any M car at their dealership. Fortunately, the guy that sold me my M340i was able to get an M3 Comp allocation at MSRP, so that solved that problem.

Lots of dealerships don't realize that people who are looking for cars right now remember when another dealership tries to screw them, so when all of this supply shortage mess is over, they will know to never touch that dealership again. However, my local dealership took care of me, and you'd better believe they have earned a long-lasting customer.
My local dealer gave me $500 under MSRP on an M240. Problem is that car got to port 11/9 and still hasn't shipped. I want an M2 or M3, but will wait until they are MSRP, or lower, and will do business with my local dealer. But right now, the only way to get a discount is to use a broker and buy out of state sadly.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2022, 10:09 PM   #62
whofelt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340ix

I’ve had my 2022 M340ix for several days now and it’s pretty much fully loaded, I love the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2022, 12:57 AM   #63
brwnbo1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive Blk

I absolutely love mine. I was lucky to get a loaded xdrive for 9% off, at the end of the day the car is absolutely amazing. I have the adaptive M suspension.

It has more than enough power, I'm excited for tunes. The aftermarket in terms of tuning is limited but everything else is quite strong.

Also, I feel like harmon kardon is a must. I have it and its pretty darn nice.

The car overall blows me away every single time I drive it. It's mind boggling how fast it is, and what all the things it can do. Drift, zoom through twisties, or cruise with the windows down. It handles very well and feels very planted. I've put on a carbon spoiler and front lip that add to its presence, but it also is just a stunner.

Not to mention, every car I've roll raced I've beat. Any time I take passengers for a little backroad rip+launch control they go nuts.

It is an amazing car, even though its my first ever car, I love it.

Last edited by brwnbo1; 01-31-2022 at 12:58 AM.. Reason: sound
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 06:01 PM   #64
Lightngsvt
Captain
Rep

Garage List
My normal dealer emailed telling me he has an M340i due in 2 weeks that is available. He sent me a quote which was crazy ($929/mo w/$0 "down" @ $62k MSRP, but was offering $750 off (1.2%) + $1000 loyalty. After questioning he told me they add .00040 to the base MF since "they are allowed to".

I asked today what the rates were for Feb. and he told me .00176 and they'd "still honor yesterday price". What I'm upset about is that Edmunds shows Feb's rate as .00136 and he tried to hide their markup, instead of being honest. I thought I had a very good CA too. C'mon, why be honest one day and lie the next? At least say we're gouging you because we can and you have no choice but to pay it or walk. Not what I'd want to hear, but I wouldn't be mad either.

Last edited by Lightngsvt; 02-01-2022 at 08:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2022, 07:10 PM   #65
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

That sucks, just needs these supply chain issues to end. Do not pay marked up MF, that's for folks with average to crap credit. i'm sure they can find enough of those people without much effort.
      02-14-2022, 11:08 PM   #66
crimson96
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portimao Blues View Post
I've owned an F30 M-Sport and agree with Insane435 that both the steering and ride of the G20 is much improved over the F30. As far as acceleration and braking, same thing, the G20 is much quicker, especially on the top end when passing on the highway. And the brakes have great stopping power. Lastly, I use my M340 as a daily driver and I am averaging a solid 30mpg on my commute which is a mix of 75% highway and 25% city driving.
Thanks - looking to buy one myself, this was helpful. Although I couldn't care less about mileage and mine would be in sport mode all-the-time.
Appreciate 0