Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions G20 330e refuses to accelerate

01-14-2022, 03:52 AM   #1
adrian_pic
Rep
Drives: BMW G20

G20 330e refuses to accelerate

I was nearly to have an accident on Wednesday.
I entered the highway on the first lane on 95km/h and because I had a truck in front of me, I flashed, hit the gas and I tried to enter on the second lane when ... the car refuses to accelerate (stuck at 103km/h) and I ended up with half a car on lane two and and the other half on first lane. I was lucky that the 508 Peugeot who was running on second lane managed to brake hard and not hit me. I had to overtake 2 trucks with speed stuck at 103km/h (it took me ages ).

Has this ever happened to anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 04:04 AM   #2
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian_pic View Post
I entered the highway on the first lane on 95km/h and because I had a truck in front of me, I flashed, hit the gas and I tried to enter on the second lane when ... the car refuses to accelerate (stuck at 103km/h) and I ended up with half a car on lane two and and the other half on first lane. I was lucky that the 508 Peugeot who was running on second lane managed to brake hard and not hit me. I had to overtake 2 trucks with speed stuck at 103km/h (it took me ages ).

You went from 95kmph to 103kmph and the car won't accelerate past 103kmph? Are you sure you didn't have the speed limiter on? Is this consistently reproducible or was this a one-off?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 04:49 AM   #3
adrian_pic
Rep

Yes, the car won't accelerate past 103kmph even with the gas pedal on the floor. The speed limiter has not been activated.
After I overtaken 2 trucks I was able to accelerate (I didn't touch anything, I haven't changed anything). Until the destination (80 km journey) I had no problems.
It was only once until now.
Yesterday, on the same route, everything was normal. Several times I accelerated from 90 to 130km/h and the problem did not occur.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 05:00 AM   #4
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Probably should have recorded it. This is the first time I'm seeing/hearing about this on the forum.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 05:48 AM   #5
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

Quote:

I woukd take it into a dealer so they can run a diagnostic check….if there was a fault it may have been recorded.

We’re you bouncing off the rev limiter? If so sounds like it may have stuck in gear?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 06:16 AM   #6
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
You went from 95kmph to 103kmph and the car won't accelerate past 103kmph? Are you sure you didn't have the speed limiter on? Is this consistently reproducible or was this a one-off?
That's where my thinking goes, even if LIM wasn't deliberately set. Accidentally set on the approach? It's an odd speed. What else controls a specific speed limit? It can be a strange feeling trying to accelerate with LIM engaged. So unnatural, even when conscious you have LIM activated.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 06:26 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
I would take it into a dealer so they can run a diagnostic check….if there was a fault it may have been recorded.

We’re you bouncing off the rev limiter? If so sounds like it may have stuck in gear?
Another possibility is touching the up-shift paddle, going manual and holding too high a gear to accelerate. Even WOT could be an issue, only kick-down would over-ride. Easy to panic when something like this happens.

I know I've been in manual mode, worked up to 7th or 8th gear and later gone to overtake, forgetting I'm in manual. The "what's going on feeling" as there isn't the usual 'get up and go', with a bit of throttle, until you trigger a kick-down.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 06:43 AM   #8
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:

This.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 07:04 AM   #9
adrian_pic
Rep

Quote:

I modified a picture from the internet to show you and here where is the yellow arrow, was the rev (so to the max eBOOST) :

https://i.postimg.cc/m2Vq9VqZ/Screen...t-13-35-31.png

but I really couldn't hear high rev (even less then 2500 RPM).
I was in HYBRID mode. I had only a range of 2 km for the electric motor and what I suspect there is a misunderstanding between the electric motor and the gasoline one .
From what I understand, the electric motor goes up to 115 km/h and from there it stops, leaving only the gasoline engine in charge. At any acceleration below 115km / h the electric motor takes the charge if there is any juice left in the battery (even at 1km range). Because of the winter, maybe the battery could not perform properly.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 08:57 AM   #10
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

In four years with my 2018 530e I have never experienced this. Speeding up to pass has never been an issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2022, 09:56 AM   #11
adrian_pic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Another possibility is touching the up-shift paddle, going manual and holding too high a gear to accelerate. Even WOT could be an issue, only kick-down would over-ride. Easy to panic when something like this happens.

I know I've been in manual mode, worked up to 7th or 8th gear and later gone to overtake, forgetting I'm in manual. The "what's going on feeling" as there isn't the usual 'get up and go', with a bit of throttle, until you trigger a kick-down.
I do not have shift paddles and until now I didn't use manual mode (it's not so funny without shift paddles).
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 08:59 AM   #12
gnolivos
Captain
Rep
Drives: Various BMW

You can rule out Speed Lim being the culprit. If you activate Speed Lim and then FLOOR THE PEDAL it will accelerate beyond the Limit.
      01-16-2022, 12:41 PM   #13
adrian_pic
Rep

Yes indeed (I tested it many times today), with Speed Lim activated if I push the pedal to the floor just only 3-5 seconds the car does not accelerate, but after, Speed Lim is ignored and the car accelerates violent.
Appreciate 2
      01-16-2022, 01:04 PM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yes indeed (I tested it many times today), with Speed Lim activated if I push the pedal to the floor just only 3-5 seconds the car does not accelerate, but after, Speed Lim is ignored and the car accelerates violent.
In fault finding, it is always good when you can eliminate possible issues. You now know what over-riding LIM feels like.
Appreciate 1
gnolivos306.00