Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications How to shift in M340i

05-27-2022, 10:05 PM   #1
illustrical
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

How to shift in M340i

I picked up my M340i a few days and just had a few questions as to if the ZF transmission can shift itself even in manual mode. I had a dodge charger scat pack before and in that car you could downshift using the paddles but once you step on the throttle “even though you in manual mode” the transmission will still shift for you unless you hit the paddle and upshift yourself. I was wondering if I was in sport or sport plus mode with gearshift still in D and I hit the downshift paddle which engages the manual mode to be in lets say 4th to 2nd gear and punch the throttle will the transmission shift itself as it gets close to the redline?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2022, 11:14 PM   #2
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by illustrical View Post
I picked up my M340i a few days and just had a few questions as to if the ZF transmission can shift itself even in manual mode. I had a dodge charger scat pack before and in that car you could downshift using the paddles but once you step on the throttle "even though you in manual mode" the transmission will still shift for you unless you hit the paddle and upshift yourself. I was wondering if I was in sport or sport plus mode with gearshift still in D and I hit the downshift paddle which engages the manual mode to be in lets say 4th to 2nd gear and punch the throttle will the transmission shift itself as it gets close to the redline?
Try slapping the gear shifter to the left? Shifter in S.

When you use the paddles or shifter to put it into M, you have to upshift. It will not upshift automatically.

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2022, 06:35 AM   #3
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

If the shifter is in normal mode (to the right) you can use the paddles to upshift and downshift, but if you stop manual shifting and are not accelerating for a short time it will revert to normal drive mode. It’s useful to click the left paddle a couple of times to downshift before a merge or for more power coming out of a curve, or to click down to get engine braking.
If you move the shifter to the left it will initially just put it in sport mode for the transmission. You will get faster shifts overall, downshifting more aggressively as you drop speed, and usually a lockout of the overdrive gears (depends on speed).
However, if you are in sport mode and start using the paddles it will no longer shift automatically except to prevent engine damage. In other words, if you click it into 3rd or 4th and then drive at high speeds it will not upshift automatically. During practice for a a short auto cross course I put the trans in 2nd and ran the course multiple times with no shifting.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 06:51 AM   #4
illustrical
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc2005 View Post
If the shifter is in normal mode (to the right) you can use the paddles to upshift and downshift, but if you stop manual shifting and are not accelerating for a short time it will revert to normal drive mode. It’s useful to click the left paddle a couple of times to downshift before a merge or for more power coming out of a curve, or to click down to get engine braking.
If you move the shifter to the left it will initially just put it in sport mode for the transmission. You will get faster shifts overall, downshifting more aggressively as you drop speed, and usually a lockout of the overdrive gears (depends on speed).
However, if you are in sport mode and start using the paddles it will no longer shift automatically except to prevent engine damage. In other words, if you click it into 3rd or 4th and then drive at high speeds it will not upshift automatically. During practice for a a short auto cross course I put the trans in 2nd and ran the course multiple times with no shifting.
https://youtu.be/88_TdXvQh-w Do you mind watching this right quick from 4:13 to 4:30. Notice how when you downshift to lowest gear possible and the punch the throttle it shifts for you even you on manual mode. Does the ZF has anything similar feature like that?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 09:17 AM   #5
Vmaxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
https://youtu.be/88_TdXvQh-w Do you mind watching this right quick from 4:13 to 4:30. Notice how when you downshift to lowest gear possible and the punch the throttle it shifts for you even you on manual mode. Does the ZF has anything similar feature like that?
That’s not a feature, that’s a dumb automatic trans. Why would you want it to shift automatically if you’re in manual mode? That defeats the purpose of being in manual mode. Now if you are in D and use the paddles to manually shift it will go back to auto after a few seconds if you’re not heavy on throttle.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 10:42 AM   #6
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

If the shifter is to the right and you select either paddle it will temporarily enter manual mode

If you have the shifter to the left and select either paddle or changes gears with the gear selector it will stay in manual.

You can tell it is in manual only when the dash display shows M before the gear number.

Hope this helps

Last edited by Mason Hatcher; 05-30-2022 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 10:56 AM   #7
illustrical
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
If the shifter is to the right and you select either paddle it will temporarily enter manual mode

If you have the shifter to the left and select either paddle or changes gears with the gear selector it will stay in manual.

You can tell it is in manual only when the dash display shows S before the gear number.

Hope this helps
Is there a way when the shifter is to the right and I press and hold the downshift paddle and lets say im doing a 40 roll will the trans downshift to the best gear possible and when I punch the throttle will it shift itself?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 12:36 PM   #8
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '24 G82

Quote:
Quote:

You can tell it is in manual only when the dash display shows S before the gear number.

Hope this helps
Is there a way when the shifter is to the right and I press and hold the downshift paddle and lets say im doing a 40 roll will the trans downshift to the best gear possible and when I punch the throttle will it shift itself?
It sounds like you're describing sprint mode. Holding down the left paddle for a second will force it to drop into the lowest possible gear for acceleration purposes.
Appreciate 1
DonSylver213.00
      05-28-2022, 03:29 PM   #9
illustrical
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM11285 View Post
It sounds like you're describing sprint mode. Holding down the left paddle for a second will force it to drop into the lowest possible gear for acceleration purposes.
Correct! After it goes to the lowest gear can I punch the throttle and will it shift itself or would I have to do it manually?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 05:56 PM   #10
G30M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i; Kia EV6 GT

it will upshift by itself in most modes other than if you're in manual mode in sport plus
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2022, 06:51 PM   #11
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '24 G82

Quote:
Quote:
Correct! After it goes to the lowest gear can I punch the throttle and will it shift itself or would I have to do it manually?
Yes it will
Appreciate 1
DonSylver213.00
      05-30-2022, 01:15 AM   #12
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:

Hope this helps
You'll know it's in manual mode when it shows M next to the gear number. S means Sport shifting

Hey Google, play "Who Am I" by Beenie Man
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2022, 08:23 AM   #13
Mason Hatcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4sh_90 View Post
You'll know it's in manual mode when it shows M next to the gear number. S means Sport shifting
Thanks, I got that ass backwards. Editing now...
Appreciate 1
k4sh_90539.00
      06-03-2022, 11:44 PM   #14
sikotic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

Quote:
Is sprint mode a new feature? Doesn't seem to work on my 2020 M340i. I've avoided all updates though, so not sure if that has anything to do with it.. But I was definitely holding the downshift paddle forever in different modes and nothing happens lol
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 06:22 AM   #15
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
It should always downshift to lowest gear available. In 4 series it also temporarily puts you in sports plus and still shifts automatically even though it says M. I still shift manually in sprint because it will ride out to redline.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2022, 09:59 PM   #16
MTWO
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikotic View Post
Is sprint mode a new feature? Doesn't seem to work on my 2020 M340i. I've avoided all updates though, so not sure if that has anything to do with it.. But I was definitely holding the downshift paddle forever in different modes and nothing happens lol
Sprint mode? Never heard of this
Appreciate 0