Technical Topics Wheels and Tires RFT loss air completely

10-04-2023, 01:46 AM   #1
SilverZeus
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M-Sport

RFT loss air completely

One of my Pirelli P Zero lost air completely and I drove the car to the tyre shop. They told me if the tyre left with 10% or less of the air pressure then it needs to be replaced. They didn't even check the cause of the issue whether the valve or puncture.

I never heard about the 10% rule before. I thought the idea of RFT was that it could stand although it completely lost the air pressure. Has anyone heard about the 10% rule before?

How do they measure the 10%? They wouldn't even know what pressure I set initially.
Retired: F30 328i M-Sport | Estoril Blue | Adaptive M | M-Sport Brakes | Bootmod 3 | K&N Filter | Remus Exhaust | Rockford P300 Sub | E90 320i LCI | Black | E90 323i M-Sport | Titanium Silver | Formula 1 Tint | Evolve Technik ECU Tune | K&N Filter | Remus Powersound | Focal K2 Power 100KRS | Alpine 12" SWS-1223D | Alpine MRX-M50 |
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 01:52 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Not heard of 10% myself but I know that when the tyre is flat, although the tyre does indeed stand up, there is wear on the inside, it starts to break down

I learnt this the hardest years back when I had a fla tyre, I couldn’t pump it up and assumed it was an issue with the valve and drove about 400 miles on it which is way in excess of the 50 miles they quote as it’s maximum range deflated
They showed mine the tyre after it was replaced and rubber was coming off from the inside of the tyre walls so it’s days we’re numbered

50 miles I think based upon this is conservative for the life of the tyre deflated but the more you go over that, the more damage is done inside until it will present as an issue

Mixed views about rfts …
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2023, 11:42 AM   #3
BLK.G20
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340 Xdrive, 2023 M3CX

Never heard of that before. Don't see anything on Pirelli's website either mentioning that.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 01:25 AM   #4
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

Tire Rack web site has compiled manufacturers policies:
https://www.tirerack.com/upgrade-gar...es-be-repaired
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 02:08 AM   #5
Tim 4723
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i

It's pretty standard that if you drive on a run flat with no pressure (or apparently less than 10% of recommended pressure) that you start damaging the tire. It's designed to survive that damage for a while and get you where you need to go but once that process has started tyre shops aren't supposed to repair it. The damage could keep getting worse and cause a failure.

If you know it's flat before driving then put some air in it and see if it will hold enough pressure to get to the shop. Same deal if you are out on the road and have a pump or can get to a petrol station. Could save you a fair bit of money.

EDIT: The Tire Rack link is interesting. Seems like some manufacturers are prepared to allow for repairs after the tyre has been inspected. That's a pretty big advantage compared to the brands that won't.
Appreciate 0