Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Bm3 Tune flash back to stock

04-13-2024, 07:49 AM   #1
Cleetusreddington
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I

Bm3 Tune flash back to stock

Recently got a tune on my m340i. After driving for a few thousand miles I realized I liked the stock tune much better (for drivability and other reasons). I tried flashing the car back to the stock tune, but I’m not getting some of the old behavior from the car before the tune. Before I got the tune the m performance exhaust was louder and grunted more on upshifts. After flashing back to stock I’m not getting that anymore. Also downshift burbles in stock don’t seem to be as dramatic as they were prior to the tune. Any ideas why?

Last edited by Cleetusreddington; 04-13-2024 at 07:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 01:13 PM   #2
BingoTheClown
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i: RIP '18 440i MPPSK

Since nobody has responded, I will make an effort:

I have never used BM3 tune. In short, I reached out to BM3, Dinan and Mission Tuning with lots of questions before I made my decision. Mission was the only one to respond to my emails and constantly offer support when I need it. And so, I went with Mission. That said - I cannot help you with BM3 . .but there may be similarities.

When I tuned with Mission, they offer a product called M-Link. M-Link lets you back up YOUR BMW DME, code files, etc. And so when you need to take your car in for warranty work at the dealership, you can hook up M-Link to flash back to YOUR STOCK FILES. You get your car back.

Now, that is all done via M-Link and not the App. In the Mission App, I can flash the car back to stock, or various octane tunes (I use 93). In the app, if I flash back to Stock (Because I do so, for vehicle inspections ). . . it's not MY STOCK, it's general stock. And there does feel to be a difference in how my car sounds. My original Stock vs The App Stock flash.

And so I agree with you. The difference is with Mission, I can revert back to MY own files.

Now, I am not a mechanical engineer and I could not explain to you why that feels that way. One thing that I have heard is that the exhaust gets better as you drive it and use it hard. I can not confirm this is real, but my experience does show this to be true.

I had MPPSK installed on my previous BMW. The dealership told me up front - it will get louder in a few weeks, as you use it more. They were correct! 10,000%

I also notice it slightly with my M340i. I have the 2020 and so the exhaust note is very distinct. But it does appear to soften whenever I re-flash re-tune the car. And I can get it back by driving in sport plus and forcing the pops and bangs as I drive.

Placebo or Real life? I can't say.

Just some things to consider. The sound of your exhaust may improve over the next few weeks. I would recommend using it in sport+ most of the time and forcing the pops and bangs. I find when I do that - they naturally increase slowly.

Again . . . . is it real? Or is it Memorex? LOL
      04-22-2024, 05:51 PM   #3
Cleetusreddington
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I

Thank you so much. I wondered if I was going crazy lol. I did drive it a bit more and found that it did return back to normal. Not sure if I was just making things up in my head or if it was real.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2024, 06:11 PM   #4
BingoTheClown
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i: RIP '18 440i MPPSK

Hahaha Awesome. (The more we repeat it to others . . the more it becomes REAL). LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleetusreddington View Post
Thank you so much. I wondered if I was going crazy lol. I did drive it a bit more and found that it did return back to normal. Not sure if I was just making things up in my head or if it was real.
      04-22-2024, 06:14 PM   #5
Randy Johnson
M340i
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Garage List
2021 BMW M340i  [10.00]
I had bm3 on my 435i. I tuned and detained several times. When I went back to stock tune I immediately noticed the difference. I wouldn’t say the car ran better but it was more civilized. I did not like running without bm3. Makes such a nice difference. The M340i is a different motor so maybe tuning hasn’t been perfected yet.
Appreciate 0