Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos It’s been *so long* since I’ve seen my Corvette

05-18-2020, 11:52 AM   #23
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

NOOOOO! Don’t do it! I’ve worked with both companies as well and I can tell you FCA is very similar, but politics of who should take the blame are WAY ahead of marketing, which is way ahead of engineering. That comes dead last.

But I can understand why you’re pissed. I would be too.

But perhaps the service is better. I don’t know. My wife owned one before and then she never wanted to see one again.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 05-18-2020 at 12:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 01:38 PM   #24
quick6
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M6,BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
That I don’t even know I own a Corvette sometimes.

But yes. I own a 2017 Corvette Grand Sport. Still do, in fact. I last saw it on March 2nd of 2020, as it was being loaded onto a flatbed truck to be taken to the local Chevrolet dealership.

Back it up 2 days. I took the Corvette to visit some friends in NorCal on the prior weekend. While driving around spiritedly, as one is wont to do in a sports car of this caliber, I got a “low oil pressure, stop immediately” message on the dash as the engine started to sound like sh*t has hit the fan. I pulled over and shut it down immediately. Since it was already late on a Saturday, and all the Chevy dealerships I called said they won’t even touch the car until Monday, I decided, at my friend’s beck and call, to just leave the car for the time being and enjoy the weekend.

Little did I know that it was the last time that engine would turn over. I looked under the car and in the engine bay, and from a quick glance there appears to be no signs of any leakage that would indicate a loss of oil. After I dropped off the car I spoke with the service writer expressing my concerns, but I assumed that a car I bought new barely a year ago, now barely with 5,000 miles, that whatever ailed it would be fixed promptly.

A week went by. Two weeks. Okay. I tried to be patient, especially since I have 2 more cars to drive at home. Dealership never bothered to keep me updated, so I called back for the first time sinceI dropped it off, assuming they’ve been working on the car all this time. “Oh, we needed to pull the DME records to send to GM.” Okay. That’s fine, I’m certain it wasn’t a mechanical over-rev as I am “enthusiastic” when driving but careful when it comes to upshifts and downshifts, with nearly my entire adult driving life operating manuals. Another week went by. I tried to limit my calls to the dealership to once a week. “Sent the DME pull to GM. Waiting on them to authorize.” Okay, so 3 weeks in no work has been done.

Then COVID-19 hit. At this point getting a hold of the dealership service department is like pulling teeth. I’d be lucky if they return my calls within the same week. Weeks, turns into MONTHS. End of March came and went. April came and went. FINALLY GM authorizes warranty work to begin at the beginning of May. I figured they’ll just replace the engine based on the symptoms.

Nope. All they’ve authorized was replacement of the crank bearings. Okay. Fine. How long is it going to take? “Oh should be no longer than a week. Then a couple of days for the tech to test it and make sure it’s repaired right.”

Two weeks later, not a peep.

At this point I’ve completely lost faith in GM and Chevy. Had this been my BMW, I’d have the car back within 2 weeks with a fresh new crate motor. It’s been 70+ days since I last saw my car, and at this point I’m considering filing a “missing vehicle” report except I don’t even remember what it looks like.

I vaguely recall owning a Corvette like this.
Respectfully suggest you formulate a demand letter, requesting the return of your car, fully repaired within 7 days, or you will turn the matter over to your attorney, etc, etc.
Appreciate 1
Murf99314114.00
      05-18-2020, 02:14 PM   #25
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post

But perhaps the service is better. I don’t know. My wife owned one before and then she never wanted to see one again.
No FCA service is worse. Believe me, I didn’t form the poor opinion of FCA out of anecdotal evidence. I once had a car serviced by a FCA dealership to swap out a battery harness, and it took them TWO WEEKS.

But at least during those two weeks they gave me a Grand Caravan loaner and a tank of gas that I happily took the family to Vegas and camping within those two weeks. Chevy? 2 plus months at the dealership for a $90k car, no offers of loaner, no offers of make up monthly payment for lack of use, drags feet and then goes for the cheapest route for repair instead of the best route.

IMO, I’d be glad to pay a decent premium for a semi-competent dealership experience, in shopping, service, and post purchase experience. So far both FCA and GM would be out of question for future vehicle purchases based on my experience. Funny thing is, I’ve purchased and serviced other vehicles at the same dealership before (it’s a Honda/Subaru/Chevy dealer), and I would gladly buy another Subaru and have it serviced there.

My ‘09 WRX wagon blew an AC Compressor pulley at 2,000 miles past warranty, and Subaru picked up the repair bill, good willed the fix and sent me on my way within 2 days. Serviced at the same dealership.

Go figure.

That’s why no matter how compelling the new mid engine C8 looks on paper, there will never be another GM product in my garage.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 03:01 PM   #26
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Good, I was afraid you were serious! And my evidence is not anecdotal, I was a TIER1 supplier for both. Differences in how decision were made was very clear.

But yeah, it takes a LOT to break a Subi. But that's because of the mindset. If it works, don't change it. Which is why a 2008 STi and a 2020 STi have nearly identical specs. Over a decade apart. Other companies don't do that. Look at how many architectures the M3 or the Corvette went through in that time.

Which philosophy is better? Subjective I suppose.
2018 Camaro SS 1LE. Because race car!

"Redline a day keeps the mechanics away"

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 05-19-2020 at 01:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 03:42 PM   #27
racerbruce
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 & 13 335is E93

Oh no!

Quote:
No FCA service is worse. Believe me, I didn’t form the poor opinion of FCA out of anecdotal evidence. I once had a car serviced by a FCA dealership to swap out a battery harness, and it took them TWO WEEKS.

But at least during those two weeks they gave me a Grand Caravan loaner and a tank of gas that I happily took the family to Vegas and camping within those two weeks. Chevy? 2 plus months at the dealership for a $90k car, no offers of loaner, no offers of make up monthly payment for lack of use, drags feet and then goes for the cheapest route for repair instead of the best route.

IMO, I’d be glad to pay a decent premium for a semi-competent dealership experience, in shopping, service, and post purchase experience. So far both FCA and GM would be out of question for future vehicle purchases based on my experience. Funny thing is, I’ve purchased and serviced other vehicles at the same dealership before (it’s a Honda/Subaru/Chevy dealer), and I would gladly buy another Subaru and have it serviced there.

My ‘09 WRX wagon blew an AC Compressor pulley at 2,000 miles past warranty, and Subaru picked up the repair bill, good willed the fix and sent me on my way within 2 days. Serviced at the same dealership.

Go figure.

That’s why no matter how compelling the new mid engine C8 looks on paper, there will never be another GM product in my garage.
HACK -
SO sorry to hear of this; it is totally unacceptable to have to wait this long. Additionally, once repaired, I am sure you will have them warranty the repairs and add that any future internal failures will be GM's responsibility, as there is no means to determine if other internal components have been damaged by the initial failure.

Wishing you well.
      05-18-2020, 05:24 PM   #28
65fastback
Captain
Rep
Drives: every day

I remember seeing you over at the corvette forum when i had a C7. Sorry to hear your c7 ownership experience has gone into the sh*tter. Mine was good mostly except the first C7 i bought brand new had a rear hatch leak, i noticed it on the drive home minutes after buying the car so... GM ended up ordering a new one and having it painted at a local body shop and re used the rear glass. Took 2 weeks total. I can't even comprehend how this got by QC ?

There are ZERO good reasons your c7 isn't fixed by now. ZERO. My patients would have been shot after 1 month. I would stop playing nice and start being the squeaky wheel.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      05-18-2020, 06:49 PM   #29
The HACK
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
There are ZERO good reasons your c7 isn't fixed by now. ZERO. My patients would have been shot after 1 month. I would stop playing nice and start being the squeaky wheel.
To be fair, my friend and ex-coworker who convinced me to buy a C7 has had a FLAWLESS experience. I guess as long as you don't have to deal with GM or the dealership network much, it is a FANTASTIC car for the value. The reasons why I bought the car hasn't changed, and I suspect IF when I get the car back, I'll still enjoy every bit of it.

My patience SHOULD have been shot after two weeks. I'm the guy that called my dealership internet sales manager twice a day to ask about where my Z4 M Coupe was when I ordered it in March of 2006. Every day. For 3 months until it was delivered.

I gave them some benefit of the doubt, because car was dropped off March 2nd, and then 2 weeks later California shut down. Then I spent another two weeks dealing with returning my dad's leased Bolt after his untimely passing (there's another thread here about that) during the COVID-19 crisis. With the Z4 M Coupe and the 335D in the garage, and with all the work from home stuff, I didn't have the need to drive (I filled up the diesel in March. There's still a quarter of a tank left), it wasn't until April when I figured I've given the dealership and GM way too much platitude already.

At this point I am just more surprised that they didn't just crate in an engine rather than trying to fix it after 2+ months. They must have known what is wrong with it and why it seized up within that first week. 8 weeks to authorize a repair is inexcusable. 8 weeks to authorize a repair rather than a replacement, IMO, is a f**king travesty.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 2
5.M0NSTER3353.50
Rmtt8206.00
      05-19-2020, 05:06 AM   #30
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
The C7 appears to be pretty easy to work on too. I’ve seen the underside a few times and do my own oil changes, and there’s nothing complicated about the way the car’s laid out. From a mechanical standpoint, it’s not like working on Porsche’s and BMWs that’s for sure. All the coolant hoses, emissions hoses, oil lines etc are on simple hose lamps or quick connect fittings, and all the electronic plugs and harnesses are standard fare industry plugs with locking tabs.

Apparently it’s a “2 day” job to swap out the bottom end of the engine. It’s only taken so damn long because GM had to authorize the repairs. When I finally got a hold of the service writer, he sounded surprised that GM is asking for a repair instead of a replacement engine.

Either way, it’s been nearly 80 days since it’s entered the shop. Again, penny wise, pound foolish. If they simply authorized an engine replacement, we’re done in 2 weeks, I get my car back, and sure they would pay a little more in parts but less in labor, but at least they avoid the possibility of lemon law.

Plus I’d be far more inclined to hold a neutral or positive view towards GM products. At this point, after my experience with returning the lease on the Bolt and the ordeal with the Corvette, I’d be more inclined to buy a FCA product before I’ll consider GM, and my opinion of FCA products is pretty f**king low.

Having worked with GM as a supplier in the past, though, I shouldn’t be surprised at this. Let’s just say they have some brilliant engineering and product design minds that are severely hamstrung by a penny pinching corporate philosophy and an inept marketing team. Saving pennies on a part that would potentially cost MILLIONS in warranty claims is standard practice.

I hope it works out for you soon. You have had quite a hard time lately dealing with "car" things as I read the other thread about your dad.

I believe CA shutting down could have a lot to do with it....but maybe not. Even in the small town where I live, it's hard to get any outside people onsite or even just for menial tasks.

At our front office, if someone was called and they didn't know the answer...they could walk down the hall and find out from someone else. Now they have to call the person at their home office...and that's even if they are available. Turns a 10 minute situation into 3 days.

As I mentioned before, my Dealership has always been great. But I have bought numerous cars from the same one and I guess we have a good relationship. He would always call me when something new showed up that I might be interested in. And never gave me any issue when he knew I modded the car.

But I haven't visited them since all this mess broke out. So I don't know how they would be. My car is past it's warranty anyway...so anything I need now is up to me. But I don' understand why they just didn't offer a replacement engine. It's not like it's a hard item to find.

On the bright side...At least you have the M Coupe to keep you busy!
      05-19-2020, 06:56 AM   #31
Murf993
Major
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

" I last saw it on March 2nd of 2020," Seriously, if the motor is pooched which it clearly sounds like it is then how long does it take to either rebuild it or get a replacement from the factory? I'd be losing my shit, politely at first but I'd be turning up the volume by now.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 11:01 PM   #32
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

I have only had negative experiences at chevy dealers. One of the few new cars I've purchased was a 2016 Camaro SS when they first came out. I took it to the local chevy dealer for the first free oil change or something and the curbed one of my brand new wheels and took a chunk of tire off. The manager tried to claim it was like that but they eventually conceded and got me a new wheel and tire.

My 2014 C7 I had some random overheating issue on the highway. After hauling ass for a while, I come up on some traffic and it starts to overheat fast. AC turns itself off, warning messages etc. I pull over, shit is blowing coolant out the overflow, I can't see any obvious leaks or anything. I'm freaked out so have it towed to nearest dealer. Its the weekend so they can't do shit till Monday.

They call me tell me its some bs which I can't remember, but it sounded like bs and they wanted like $1000 to replace it. I research online and see many posts about issues with the fan. So I tell them to fuck off, they still charge me like $100 for the "diagnostic".

Take it home, no issues on the drive home. I buy fan off Z06 which supposedly solves the issue with stock fan. As I'm replacing the fan I notice the fan power connector is burnt and black inside. Decided to clean that shit real good and put stock fan back on. Haven't had the issue since. Not sure wtf kind of diagnostic they did or how they determined it was the $1000 part but apparently they were trained by Miss Cleo.

On the other hand the Cadillac dealer we use to take our XTS to was FANTASTIC! One of the best dealer experiences I've had. Way better than the local BMW dealer. Ford has been fine. Not super fancy or anything, but never had any issues at any Ford dealer. Usually in and out with no fuss.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 08:59 AM   #33
beetle6986
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi, E70 X5 50, 04 Cobra

I'm surprised they are replacing bearings on a 5,000 mile engine. I wouldn't be happy with that at all. They should be installing a new crate motor under warranty.

I have to wonder why a fairly stock car would need new bearings at 5,000 miles. Manufacture defect or an oil pump issue? I'd be concerned that it might happen again if they haven't identified the root cause of the failure in the first place.
2016 Mustang GT Roush Phase 2 with VMP 767 HP kit.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 08:22 PM   #34
The HACK
Rep

Three weeks ago.

Me: What’s the status on my car?

Chevy Service: We’re just waiting on a few parts. Your car should be put back together early next week, and the tech has to do some reprogramming and test drive it. You should have your car back soon. Maybe end of the week?

Two weeks ago.

Me: It’s the end of the week. What’s going on?

Chevy Service: Oh we’re still waiting on GM to send us 2 new pistons. It’s the last two pieces that needed to go in to the engine. Should be here early next week and the car buttoned up and ready to go.

Following Monday.

Me: Is the engine back in the car? Are we good for me to pick up the car SOMETIME this week?

Chevy Service: The technician is missing a couple of bolts for the engine mount and we’re waiting for GM to send the parts. It’s looking pretty good, you should have your car back early next week.

Me: That’s what you said two weeks ago. Car’s been there for THREE months.

Chevy Service: Yes sir, I’m terribly sorry sir, but we’re waiting on the parts...

Me: Call me at the end of the week. I want to know I’ll be picking up the car.

End of last week.

Me: What’s the hold up now?

Chevy Service: We’re missing a gasket for the oil pan. Waiting for GM...

Me: JFC. That’s the same excuse for the last 3 weeks. Don’t you guys take inventory of stuff you take off of the car and have that sh*t ready ahead of time?

Chevy Service: Yes sir, I’m terribly sorry sir. We’ll work hard this weekend to put the car back together, hopefully it’ll be done next Tuesday. Either way I’ll call you and keep you updated.

Today.

Dealership service department called. I didn’t even bother picking up the phone. Sure enough, more excuses as to what part is still missing, and “promises” that the car will be done later in the week. At this point it’s like they don’t even care when I get the car back, since it’s already so far into the legal “lemon” period. Another day, week, month...Makes zero difference.

I suspect, after they rebuilt the bottom end, the tech fired up the engine and it was not happy. Either more sh*t broke, or the engine threw up a Christmas tree. Tear down, more work, button up, more problems. Rinse, repeat. Thus the weekly optimistic outlook by the tech and service writer, and the weekly delays of needing more parts to throw at it.

Should have just sent a new crate engine GM.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
Rmtt8206.00
      05-26-2020, 08:29 PM   #35
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Three weeks ago.

Me: What’s the status on my car?

Chevy Service: We’re just waiting on a few parts. Your car should be put back together early next week, and the tech has to do some reprogramming and test drive it. You should have your car back soon. Maybe end of the week?

Two weeks ago.

Me: It’s the end of the week. What’s going on?

Chevy Service: Oh we’re still waiting on GM to send us 2 new pistons. It’s the last two pieces that needed to go in to the engine. Should be here early next week and the car buttoned up and ready to go.

Following Monday.

Me: Is the engine back in the car? Are we good for me to pick up the car SOMETIME this week?

Chevy Service: The technician is missing a couple of bolts for the engine mount and we’re waiting for GM to send the parts. It’s looking pretty good, you should have your car back early next week.

Me: That’s what you said two weeks ago. Car’s been there for THREE months.

Chevy Service: Yes sir, I’m terribly sorry sir, but we’re waiting on the parts...

Me: Call me at the end of the week. I want to know I’ll be picking up the car.

End of last week.

Me: What’s the hold up now?

Chevy Service: We’re missing a gasket for the oil pan. Waiting for GM...

Me: JFC. That’s the same excuse for the last 3 weeks. Don’t you guys take inventory of stuff you take off of the car and have that sh*t ready ahead of time?

Chevy Service: Yes sir, I’m terribly sorry sir. We’ll work hard this weekend to put the car back together, hopefully it’ll be done next Tuesday. Either way I’ll call you and keep you updated.

Today.

Dealership service department called. I didn’t even bother picking up the phone. Sure enough, more excuses as to what part is still missing, and “promises” that the car will be done later in the week. At this point it’s like they don’t even care when I get the car back, since it’s already so far into the legal “lemon” period. Another day, week, month...Makes zero difference.

I suspect, after they rebuilt the bottom end, the tech fired up the engine and it was not happy. Either more sh*t broke, or the engine threw up a Christmas tree. Tear down, more work, button up, more problems. Rinse, repeat. Thus the weekly optimistic outlook by the tech and service writer, and the weekly delays of needing more parts to throw at it.

Should have just sent a new crate engine GM.
My friend, you have the patience of Jobe. I'd have completely lost my shit and be going to GM HQ. I hope you get your car back soon and I don't want to jinx anything but I wouldn't be surprised if there are issues after you get it back. I hope to Christ I'm wrong.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      05-26-2020, 08:41 PM   #36
The HACK
Rep

Lol. Yeah, at this point I doubt the lemon lawyers will need more ammunition. 90 days already. 5,000 miles. 1.5 year old car.

I mean, don’t get me wrong. I like the car. A lot. Had they replaced the engine in 2 weeks and send me home? I’d probably be content.

At this point? Buy the f*cking car back GM. You guys royally screwed up. After 2 GM cars in a row, I’m never going to touch another GM product and will dissuade all my friends from ever considering GM products. F**k them.
Appreciate 2
Murf99314114.00
Rmtt8206.00
      05-26-2020, 08:46 PM   #37
Murf993
Major
Rep

Quote:
Lol. Yeah, at this point I doubt the lemon lawyers will need more ammunition. 90 days already. 5,000 miles. 1.5 year old car.

I mean, don’t get me wrong. I like the car. A lot. Had they replaced the engine in 2 weeks and send me home? I’d probably be content.

At this point? Buy the f*cking car back GM. You guys royally screwed up. After 2 GM cars in a row, I’m never going to touch another GM product and will dissuade all my friends from ever considering GM products. F**k them.
Given this whole Covid lockdown I think I'd park myself in front of the dealership with a fucking big sign and bullhorn and tell anyone within earshot how shitty the customer service is.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 09:59 PM   #38
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

This is insane.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 10:51 PM   #39
premier3is
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:
That I don’t even know I own a Corvette sometimes.

But yes. I own a 2017 Corvette Grand Sport. Still do, in fact. I last saw it on March 2nd of 2020, as it was being loaded onto a flatbed truck to be taken to the local Chevrolet dealership.

Back it up 2 days. I took the Corvette to visit some friends in NorCal on the prior weekend. While driving around spiritedly, as one is wont to do in a sports car of this caliber, I got a “low oil pressure, stop immediately” message on the dash as the engine started to sound like sh*t has hit the fan. I pulled over and shut it down immediately. Since it was already late on a Saturday, and all the Chevy dealerships I called said they won’t even touch the car until Monday, I decided, at my friend’s beck and call, to just leave the car for the time being and enjoy the weekend.

Little did I know that it was the last time that engine would turn over. I looked under the car and in the engine bay, and from a quick glance there appears to be no signs of any leakage that would indicate a loss of oil. After I dropped off the car I spoke with the service writer expressing my concerns, but I assumed that a car I bought new barely a year ago, now barely with 5,000 miles, that whatever ailed it would be fixed promptly.

A week went by. Two weeks. Okay. I tried to be patient, especially since I have 2 more cars to drive at home. Dealership never bothered to keep me updated, so I called back for the first time sinceI dropped it off, assuming they’ve been working on the car all this time. “Oh, we needed to pull the DME records to send to GM.” Okay. That’s fine, I’m certain it wasn’t a mechanical over-rev as I am “enthusiastic” when driving but careful when it comes to upshifts and downshifts, with nearly my entire adult driving life operating manuals. Another week went by. I tried to limit my calls to the dealership to once a week. “Sent the DME pull to GM. Waiting on them to authorize.” Okay, so 3 weeks in no work has been done.

Then COVID-19 hit. At this point getting a hold of the dealership service department is like pulling teeth. I’d be lucky if they return my calls within the same week. Weeks, turns into MONTHS. End of March came and went. April came and went. FINALLY GM authorizes warranty work to begin at the beginning of May. I figured they’ll just replace the engine based on the symptoms.

Nope. All they’ve authorized was replacement of the crank bearings. Okay. Fine. How long is it going to take? “Oh should be no longer than a week. Then a couple of days for the tech to test it and make sure it’s repaired right.”

Two weeks later, not a peep.

At this point I’ve completely lost faith in GM and Chevy. Had this been my BMW, I’d have the car back within 2 weeks with a fresh new crate motor. It’s been 70+ days since I last saw my car, and at this point I’m considering filing a “missing vehicle” report except I don’t even remember what it looks like.

I vaguely recall owning a Corvette like this.
It's Chevrolet. What do you expect lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 04:41 AM   #40
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
It's Chevrolet. What do you expect lol.
It sucks what he is dealing with. There is no excuse for it at all.

However as I stated earlier I have owned 6+ Corvettes and have utterly thrashed every single one of them on the track. Worst experience I had was putting on a set of slicks and breaking a half-shaft.

I guess it's the roll of the dice. Now I haven't had a C7. But my friends have never had issues with theirs except for some of the first few Z06's having some cooling issues.

But they were taken care of.

It could happen with any car. My E46 M3 was a love/hate relationship as I had more problems with it than any other car I had.

Would I own it again...hell yeah!

Sometimes things happen that are out of our control....but the Dealership put the icing on the cake with this one.
See5449.00
      05-27-2020, 12:05 PM   #41
The HACK
Rep

I'm with @Rmtt. It doesn't happen to everyone, it doesn't happen a lot. My friends with Corvettes all love them. I have friends with C5, C6, and C7s, and when they're running, they're hard to beat.

I used to feel the same way, actually. A few friends bought Cayman GT4s and I tell them my C7 Grand Sport will run circles around them AND for 2/3rd the price. You read the forums and frankly their "horror" stories aren't any worse than BMW horror stories.

Until it happens to you, of course. And this isn't like the first time sh*t has happened to me. I had 2 Hyundais, not the old sh*t box Hyundais but more recent, well built examples that "need" the so call America's best warranty. And frankly, in my opinion, the BEST warranty is the ones you never have to use, but let me tell you that both times Hyundai's warranty service left me VERY disappointed.

So yeah. I used to be a staunch defender. They've come a long way, yada yada yada. But when a transmission cooler hose blew up and dumped transmission oil everywhere on the driveway at 59,9xx miles and 1 week out of the 5 year warranty period, and they stick you with a $1,200 repair bill to replace a $0.50 rubber hose? Yeah. I'll never buy another Hyundai ever again.

And when I dropped off the Corvette on March 2nd, I fully expected it to be a smooth process. Dealership is going to say, "sh*t bro. I've got this. GM is going to be sending you a new crate engine. You'll have your car back in a week." THAT, was my expectation on a 1.5 year old car with 5,000 miles.

Not 3 months of "hey dude, where's my car" and insinuation that *I* somehow caused the catastrophic engine failure by insisting a full DME dump before they'll even THINK about authorizing anything, and even when the DME proved that I was operating the car well within the range of its capabilities, did they offer to drop in a new crate engine? No. It's piece meal fix and throw parts at it until it runs again bull sh*t.

So yeah. I'm well past done. I've been burned by GM to a crisp. Don't ever expect me to defend GM or Corvette.

But to be honest? All my friends who still own Corvettes? They probably "feel" my pain but won't be giving up their Corvette anytime soon. Unless one of them blows up an engine like I did.
Appreciate 1
Rmtt8206.00
      05-28-2020, 12:09 AM   #42
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Quote:
I'm with @Rmtt. It doesn't happen to everyone, it doesn't happen a lot. My friends with Corvettes all love them. I have friends with C5, C6, and C7s, and when they're running, they're hard to beat.

I used to feel the same way, actually. A few friends bought Cayman GT4s and I tell them my C7 Grand Sport will run circles around them AND for 2/3rd the price. You read the forums and frankly their "horror" stories aren't any worse than BMW horror stories.

Until it happens to you, of course. And this isn't like the first time sh*t has happened to me. I had 2 Hyundais, not the old sh*t box Hyundais but more recent, well built examples that "need" the so call America's best warranty. And frankly, in my opinion, the BEST warranty is the ones you never have to use, but let me tell you that both times Hyundai's warranty service left me VERY disappointed.

So yeah. I used to be a staunch defender. They've come a long way, yada yada yada. But when a transmission cooler hose blew up and dumped transmission oil everywhere on the driveway at 59,9xx miles and 1 week out of the 5 year warranty period, and they stick you with a $1,200 repair bill to replace a $0.50 rubber hose? Yeah. I'll never buy another Hyundai ever again.

And when I dropped off the Corvette on March 2nd, I fully expected it to be a smooth process. Dealership is going to say, "sh*t bro. I've got this. GM is going to be sending you a new crate engine. You'll have your car back in a week." THAT, was my expectation on a 1.5 year old car with 5,000 miles.

Not 3 months of "hey dude, where's my car" and insinuation that *I* somehow caused the catastrophic engine failure by insisting a full DME dump before they'll even THINK about authorizing anything, and even when the DME proved that I was operating the car well within the range of its capabilities, did they offer to drop in a new crate engine? No. It's piece meal fix and throw parts at it until it runs again bull sh*t.

So yeah. I'm well past done. I've been burned by GM to a crisp. Don't ever expect me to defend GM or Corvette.

But to be honest? All my friends who still own Corvettes? They probably "feel" my pain but won't be giving up their Corvette anytime soon. Unless one of them blows up an engine like I did.
I’ve been watching this thread for a while and all I have to say is I hope you lemon this car away after you get it back and drive the hell out of it one last time. I wouldn’t be able to ever trust that drivetrain again unless it was removed and replaced like it should have been months ago.
      06-01-2020, 09:23 AM   #43
The HACK
Rep

That was short lived.

Got the car back Saturday. 13 weeks after the engine blew, to the day.

As soon as I pulled out of the dealership onto the freeway I knew something was seriously WRONG. There’s a period scraping sound that increases with frequency along with RPM of the engine, plus an incessant rattle from the gearbox area.

Sigh.

Came home, grabbed my GoPro, and recorded the issue for documentation purposes. Car went right back to the dealership. Was in my possession for no more than 30 minutes.

This bumps GM below FCA in my book. Seriously, not only do I have to deal with a broken piece of sh*t that they don’t know how to fix right, that they keep dragging their f*cking feet on for the last three months, now I have to deal with the “I told you not to buy that car” sh*t from home.

F**K GM. F**k their dealership. This is bull.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2020, 09:45 AM   #44
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
That was short lived.

Got the car back Saturday. 13 weeks after the engine blew, to the day.

As soon as I pulled out of the dealership onto the freeway I knew something was seriously WRONG. There’s a period scraping sound that increases with frequency along with RPM of the engine, plus an incessant rattle from the gearbox area.

Sigh.

Came home, grabbed my GoPro, and recorded the issue for documentation purposes. Car went right back to the dealership. Was in my possession for no more than 30 minutes.

This bumps GM below FCA in my book. Seriously, not only do I have to deal with a broken piece of sh*t that they don’t know how to fix right, that they keep dragging their f*cking feet on for the last three months, now I have to deal with the “I told you not to buy that car” sh*t from home.

F**K GM. F**k their dealership. This is bull.
See my post on your other thread. You have long since passed the line where you need to be communicating via written correspondence with the dealer.