Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Are Quick Detail Products Good?

05-30-2021, 09:04 PM   #1
TriniJots
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Are Quick Detail Products Good?

I live in a community that does not allow car washing and have been making weekly trips to my parent's house to wash my car. Now that I have a lot less time on my hands (no longer work from home), I am not able to make my weekly trip to my parent's house and now my car is definitely showing it.

I have used the Speed Wipe Quick Detailer from Chemical guys for a few hard-to-reach spots during my weekly cleaning, but have never used a product like this for the whole car. Would using a Quick Detailer product and microfiber towel for the whole outside of the car be a decent replacement for a weekly wash? If so, are there any good ones recommended? Just trying to keep it looking somewhat clean and shiny while I find time for a full wash.
2018 CLA250
2021 G20 M340i (current)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 10:55 PM   #2
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '24 G82

Look into Optimum No Rinse or Makees 914

They're rinseless washes, so you don't need free flowing water. You dilute it properly with distilled water, use a sponge specifically for a rinseless wash and dry with a plush microfiber.
Appreciate 5
      06-02-2021, 03:46 AM   #3
NthKent
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

I’ve used Williams Racing Waterless Wash & Wax for years with good results. It doesn’t seem to scratch the paintwork (certainly no more than washing it traditionally and drying it off with a leather)…
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 10:30 AM   #4
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Second on the Optimim No Rinse. Been using for years. All you need is 2 gallons of water, 2 cap fulls of the solution, a wash mitt, and drying cloths. I live in a condo too with no running water outside. This stuff is a godsend. And zero never ending water dripping from creases and crevices while drying. Great stuff. Oh, and get a collapsable bucket for your trunk too-very handy. You can then wash on the fly.
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2021, 11:12 AM   #5
Long Driver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '21 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oclockshadow View Post
Second on the Optimim No Rinse. Been using for years. All you need is 2 gallons of water, 2 cap fulls of the solution, a wash mitt, and drying cloths. I live in a condo too with no running water outside. This stuff is a godsend. And zero never ending water dripping from creases and crevices while drying. Great stuff. Oh, and get a collapsable bucket for your trunk too-very handy. You can then wash on the fly.
I would add another bucket of clear water to alternately rinse out the dirty mitt (I use a grout sponge) . Works wonders.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 01:35 PM   #6
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

ONR is underrated. Absolutely love that thing, especially in the winters when it is too cold for a proper wash. Of course, I don't use it if the car is really dirty, though you probably can? But yes. Another ONR fan here.

You can also use a quick detailer to clean up certain spots, bird poop, bugs etc. I've been using Meguiars for years and it has always worked for me. You can also make your own QD using ONR.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
      06-02-2021, 03:44 PM   #7
6oclockshadow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just watched a video the other day--Pan maybe? I forget.

Anyway, the guy said we've been using QD wrong. It is meant to spot clean, or as a drying aid to remove water spots, not to fully clean your car. A traditional wash or an ONR wash should be used for a full car cleaning was the gist of the video.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2021, 07:27 PM   #8
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oclockshadow View Post
Just watched a video the other day--Pan maybe? I forget.

Anyway, the guy said we've been using QD wrong. It is meant to spot clean, or as a drying aid to remove water spots, not to fully clean your car. A traditional wash or an ONR wash should be used for a full car cleaning was the gist of the video.
This is accurate information, but very old information. No offense maybe you’ve been doing it wrong. The misconceptions in detailing are many, but the answers have been on the internet (these boards even) for years.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2021, 10:09 AM   #9
3ismagic#
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 330Xi M-Sport

Maybe I'm obsessive about marring but I think I would rather do maintenance washes less frequently than use ONR for an actual wash.

Not talking spot cleaning here and there, for which I think ONR excels.

Otherwise I would avoid quick detailers on anything that has actually been outside and driven around.
Appreciate 1