Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Repairs : rear passenger quarter panel

06-10-2021, 10:25 PM   #1
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Repairs : rear passenger quarter panel

So, someone sideswiped me while pulling into a parking spot next to me. Initial estimate is $2k, but here's the rub - they're talking about taking only part of the panel off, cutting it, and re-welding it.

I'd rather they order the whole thing but it looks like it wraps around the entire door and side, so the body shop said "not likely".

Has anyone had any repairs done yet on an G22? How'd it go? Thoughts on this?

It's a pretty good size scratch unfortunately, but the car IS driveable. Just not sure how I feel about cutting and rewelding. I'd rather have the entire side replaced.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 08:02 AM   #2
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

Oh wow... this seriously sucks! It must be a fairly significant “scratch” if they are talking about replacing part of the panel.

The rear quarter is one of the larger panels on the car and because it extends from the door frame back and up into the roof line I guess it makes sense that they would have to cut it somewhere and weld in a panel. Hopefully then can get a repair panel stateside and not wait weeks for it from Germany. That said, my concern would be more about where they cut and weld it so that the repair is smooth as silk and then matching the paint.

Are you dealing with a shop that regularly does BMW work and does it well?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2021, 11:06 AM   #3
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteGuy View Post
Oh wow... this seriously sucks! It must be a fairly significant “scratch” if they are talking about replacing part of the panel.

The rear quarter is one of the larger panels on the car and because it extends from the door frame back and up into the roof line I guess it makes sense that they would have to cut it somewhere and weld in a panel. Hopefully then can get a repair panel stateside and not wait weeks for it from Germany. That said, my concern would be more about where they cut and weld it so that the repair is smooth as silk and then matching the paint.

Yes, it's one of the shops recommended by bmwusa.com so I assume they will do good work regardless, but the estimator told me the majority end up trading in their cars within months due to not feeling safe with the cut + weld approach.

Having worked as a mechanic and welder, I'm not as worried about the safety aspect - many of the jobs I did ended up a bit beefier than original spec - I'm more worried about the cleanliness / accuracy of the repair + paint matching.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 10:44 AM   #4
bily
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 G05, 22 G26

Garage List
2022 i4  [0.00]
2022 BMW X5  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428 Cabriolet  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Quote:

Yes, it's one of the shops recommended by bmwusa.com so I assume they will do good work regardless, but the estimator told me the majority end up trading in their cars within months due to not feeling safe with the cut + weld approach.

Having worked as a mechanic and welder, I'm not as worried about the safety aspect - many of the jobs I did ended up a bit beefier than original spec - I'm more worried about the cleanliness / accuracy of the repair + paint matching.
If their insurance is paying or even yours insist on what makes you more comfortable. My issue with a partially replaced panel is more on the aspect of it rusting from the inside out. Just welding a piece of metal in there on a new car would not be my preference.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 10:39 PM   #5
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

Hey, how did the repairs turn out?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 10:03 AM   #6
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Hey, how did the repairs turn out?
Been away, I'm bringing it in to another shop this week to try and get the whole panel replaced rather than cut + welded.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 09:25 AM   #7
baleszkr
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

What solution did you choose at the end?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 10:23 AM   #8
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Sorry, forgot about this thread.

Found another body shop that was able to just repair the panel. Looks perfect now and I'm getting it re-ceramic coated.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 10:46 AM   #9
baleszkr
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the reply! I am in a similar situation, and the shop I asked, also said they would repair the damage.

I am afraid if they can get the right results, as for me it's right on the wheel crest. Maybe replacing the panel would be better, on the other hand, it seems that option is only possible the way you described it, where they cut the current panel.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 11:35 AM   #10
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

That's almost exactly where my damage was, though mine was a thinner "crease" vs "dent" - yours appears to be a bit deeper / wider, but that doesn't mean they can't fix it.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 12:50 PM   #11
baleszkr
Registered
Rep

That actually sounds pretty reassuring. I'll post an update once it's fixed.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2022, 08:50 PM   #12
peterf15
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
That's almost exactly where my damage was, though mine was a thinner "crease" vs "dent" - yours appears to be a bit deeper / wider, but that doesn't mean they can't fix it.
I agree 100%. Please let us know how it goes!
Appreciate 0