Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK UK - Off Topic groaning sound after going from reverse to drive

09-17-2021, 03:01 AM   #1
daveyboy337
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330i msport pro touring

groaning sound after going from reverse to drive

Done just 500 miles in new G21 330i ,
if i start car, select reverse-stop car then go into Drive, as i pull away,i hear a groaning type sound from gearbox area.Happens as well from drive to reverse.
Imagine a fat man getting up from a plump leather couch,thats the best way to describe it.
Car is otherwise great to drive. Any ideas folks
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2021, 07:24 PM   #2
HeebieJeebies
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G21 320 xdrive Diesel

I think it’s just a feature of the car, ours (G21 xdrive 320d) did this when we first got it, it appears to have gone now or not as noticeable. Ours only had 1.2k miles on it when we got it so may be part of a bedding in scenario

I’m happy to be enlightened if there is a common fault tho, but I’m thinking that’s not the case.
Appreciate 1
      09-26-2021, 09:15 AM   #3
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyboy337 View Post
Done just 500 miles in new G21 330i ,
if i start car, select reverse-stop car then go into Drive, as i pull away,i hear a groaning type sound from gearbox area.Happens as well from drive to reverse.
Imagine a fat man getting up from a plump leather couch,thats the best way to describe it.
Car is otherwise great to drive. Any ideas folks
Brake pads 'groaning' in the callipers when holding the car on the footbrake as you have to when changing the drive selector? maybe that is what you are hearing.
If so then 'feathering' the brake pedal can make it sound much worse. Very light brake pedal pressure just enough to stop the car moving and then easing slightly to let the pads 'drag' against the disc and you can make some quite horrendous sounds! Occasionally happened to me in very slow moving, crawling traffic queues. There's nothing wrong with the car nor does it do any damage to the braking system, it just sounds bloody awful and attracts some very disparaging glances from other drivers!
Bear in mind also your car will just be settling in at that kind of mileage and the new brake pads will need to bed in and find their 'groove' (no pun intended!) on the discs.
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2022, 07:01 AM   #4
daveyboy337
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330i msport pro touring

Handbrake still groaning

Now on 1500 miles. Car is parked overnight on sloping drive.
1.Start car select R to reverse off drive
2.when car is stationary i select D
3.when i move forward,thats when i get what sounds like handbrake momentarily releasing with groaning sound.

I must assume this normal on a £40,000 plus car
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 07:39 AM   #5
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyboy337 View Post
Now on 1500 miles. Car is parked overnight on sloping drive.
1.Start car select R to reverse off drive
2.when car is stationary i select D
3.when i move forward,thats when i get what sounds like handbrake momentarily releasing with groaning sound.

I must assume this normal on a £40,000 plus car
You say car parked on a sloping drive overnight. Do you have the electronic handbrake on when it's parked?
When you start up select reverse you can hear the electronic handbrake 'whirr' as it disengages it's like the 'drive off' handbrake some refer to.
I expect the groaning is just the pads and callipers, I sometimes experience the same sound, especially if you feather the brake pedal and very, very slowly let the car creep but still maintain some pressure on the brake pedal. What you're experiencing sounds 'normal' in this day and age of electronic parking brake systems (not a fan by the way preferred a lever but that's progress I suppose!) but difficult to say categorically unless you can hear it.
Appreciate 0