Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Internal music HD storage size?

07-18-2021, 07:39 AM   #1
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Internal music HD storage size?

How much data can the internal drive store?

Similarly, what's the largest capacity flash drive that can be used in the USB data slot?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2021, 08:03 AM   #2
VictorRomeo
Private
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRetroGuy View Post

Similarly, what's the largest capacity flash drive that can be used in the USB data slot?

Thanks!
I read somewhere that we have 34gb for our own entertainment files if that's what you mean. And I have 512gb Sandisk Ultra Fit usb flash drive in mine. I wanted something tiny in physical size and completely unobstructive hence that model. I imagine it could take larger in storage size mind you so perhaps someone else can comment.

EDIT - FWIW, my music collection is all ripped / purchased 16bit lossless or 24bit lossless hi-res FLAC so space is required.

Last edited by VictorRomeo; 07-18-2021 at 06:08 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2021, 11:57 AM   #3
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

Have you checked what limit a 2020 model has regarding storing the track information? My 2021 does not support internal storage but for USB devices it says it can store track information for maximum 16000 tracks (per USB device and 40000 in total.) It depends on the used format and compression if the size or number of tracks will be the limit.
My MP3 coded files are around 5MB each. 16000 tracks means that a larger memory than 128GB is pointless for me. 512GB/16k would allow (after formatting) an average file size of ~30MB per file.
(Video is of course another story.)
So could be good to check both the information limit and size limit.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 03:21 AM   #4
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:

Thanks!
Quote:

Thanks!
I-Drive will show you available memory for music storage. Media, Music Collection, Option, available memory.
I've used a 128Gb drive in my M340i; haven't tried 256Gb. The drivers guide says a maximum of 16000 tracks per USB device. I think that limit is partly related to internal storage. The album track artist info is transferred off the stick somewhere into internal car memory. It doesn't consume any of the Music Collection storage memory. Data for up to 40000 tracks max can be transferred. The data is referenced to the unique ID of the USB stick This is for faster search using Hey BMW play ...etc
The only problem with it is that if you delete unwanted albums or tracks off a USB , then put it back in the car, the car thinks the music is still there. Which of course it isn't . The car doesn't delete the stored album track artist info. There doesn't seem to be any way a user can delete that stored data. Formatting the USB stick makes no difference as it retains it's unique ID
I worked around it by using brand new USB sticks and reloading my updated music files to those. USB storage is dirt cheap so it's not a major issue..just something to be aware of.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 11:35 AM   #5
Chrono9084
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340ix

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TikiTourer View Post
The only problem with it is that if you delete unwanted albums or tracks off a USB , then put it back in the car, the car thinks the music is still there. Which of course it isn't . The car doesn't delete the stored album track artist info. There doesn't seem to be any way a user can delete that stored data. Formatting the USB stick makes no difference as it retains it's unique ID
I worked around it by using brand new USB sticks and reloading my updated music files to those. USB storage is dirt cheap so it's not a major issue..just something to be aware of.
Got a question for you. I use a 256GB stick drive and it was working really well. Recently though, I have found that it will not work when I start the car and I have to unplug it and plug it back in to fix the issue. I wonder if this started when I updated the music on the drive?

If so, I wonder if using a new drive would solve the issue. Second question for you is if you have tried renaming the drive when you format it rather than buying a new USB drive each time. Seems like that would be the only way for the car to know it is the same drive or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2021, 06:59 AM   #6
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep

With my 2021 iDrive 7 (SW from Mars) I had no problems modifying the content on my USB memory I use in the car. I just deleted the single folder with all MP3 files and copied them back receding in sub-folders. Also deleted a file and the iDrive knows that it's gone. I did not reformat (only turned the car off in between).
I use NTFS format on the stick, if that could make a difference.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 02:17 AM   #7
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono9084 View Post
Quote:
Got a question for you. I use a 256GB stick drive and it was working really well. Recently though, I have found that it will not work when I start the car and I have to unplug it and plug it back in to fix the issue. I wonder if this started when I updated the music on the drive?

If so, I wonder if using a new drive would solve the issue. Second question for you is if you have tried renaming the drive when you format it rather than buying a new USB drive each time. Seems like that would be the only way for the car to know it is the same drive or not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono9084 View Post
Quote:

If so, I wonder if using a new drive would solve the issue. Second question for you is if you have tried renaming the drive when you format it rather than buying a new USB drive each time. Seems like that would be the only way for the car to know it is the

same drive or not.
sorry I've been awol for a while so missed replying. I suspect a new drive would fix your 256Gb issue. although you could try formatting it and copying the music data back on to it.
No, renaming the Drive makes no difference. Each USB drive has a universally unique identifier (UUID, a 128-bit number) build into it's programmable read-only memory by the manufacturer. Its impossible to get rid of that identity.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 03:14 PM   #8
Chrono9084
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340ix

Garage List
Quote:
No, renaming the Drive makes no difference. Each USB drive has a universally unique identifier (UUID, a 128-bit number) build into it's programmable read-only memory by the manufacturer. Its impossible to get rid of that identity.
Interesting, I should have known that. I have a bunch of crap drives laying around....guess I will be repurposing them in order to clear the cache! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 03:49 PM   #9
warvidson
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330i

USB Drive is Recognized But Will Not Download

Quote:
I-Drive will show you available memory for music storage. Media, Music Collection, Option, available memory.
I've used a 128Gb drive in my M340i; haven't tried 256Gb. The drivers guide says a maximum of 16000 tracks per USB device. I think that limit is partly related to internal storage. The album track artist info is transferred off the stick somewhere into internal car memory. It doesn't consume any of the Music Collection storage memory. Data for up to 40000 tracks max can be transferred. The data is referenced to the unique ID of the USB stick This is for faster search using Hey BMW play ...etc
Thanks for all the insights. I have tried multiple iterations, loading all tracks individually, in folders as is organized on the device I copied them from, and re-formatting and renaming the drive volume.
They will display correctly when in a folder hierarchy artist > album > song, however no matter what I do, I cannot find any way to download them so that I get use of the USB port back. I suspect it just copies the meta data from the drive to the internal hard drive, not the music files themselves.
Based on calls to the BMW Genius at our dealer where he has tried to do it in a car on the lot you should be able to get a download option to the right of the menu, but I have yet to see that option. Has anyone on this thread been successful downloading the music files or accessing "Music Collection" which shows in lots of online videos, but not in my vehicle.
I have a 2021 330i that is about 2 weeks old. Thanks in advance for any additional insights.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 04:15 PM   #10
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry to break the news for you. For model year 2021, BMW has decided to remove the possibility to store music files in the system. (Saw another BMW genius on YouTube that explained this.) You have to play from USB. If it helps you there are USB sticks available that have both connectors (for USB-A and USB-C) so you can choose port. Or get a USB-A to USB-C adapter. (The two ports in the front works for data/music.)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 06:32 AM   #11
Z_Victor1
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i 👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by G22b58 View Post
Sorry to break the news for you. For model year 2021, BMW has decided to remove the possibility to store music files in the system. (Saw another BMW genius on YouTube that explained this.) You have to play from USB. If it helps you there are USB sticks available that have both connectors (for USB-A and USB-C) so you can choose port. Or get a USB-A to USB-C adapter. (The two ports in the front works for data/music.)
This is all music to my ears (sorry)....!

I have a G22 model due soon and I plan to use my Seagate 1 TB Portable Hard Drive to play music into the vehicle via the USB C socket in the armrest.

After reading posts here and elsewhere on bimmerpost, it appears this should function correctly in the G22.

This is the method I have used without any issues for the last 6 years in my previous F32 and F20 models.

The HD is formatted into two 512GB MS-DOS FAT32 partitions. Classical music is stored on one partition and all other music on the other.
This attaches via a USB A plug (for the G22 an 'A' to 'C' adapter will be required). The HD to be hidden/stored in the armrest.

Approx 22,000 tracks (in FLAC format) are on each partition. Everything functions without any problems and as it should. Album art comes up on the screens without issue.

Also reference the USB C Socket in the armrest of the latest G2* models, the manual states 3 amps load, I can confirm this is at the rated 5.1 Volts...so equates to 15.3 watts.
The Seagate HD draws 4.5 watts maximum.
I plan to piggy-back a Road Angel off here as well. This is perfectly feasible as it draws 0.5 amps at full drain, when charging,

I hope this helps/reassures everyone....good luck.

Last edited by Z_Victor1; 11-01-2021 at 10:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
OM3RTA391.00
      11-01-2021, 11:12 AM   #12
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep

I don't know if this will affect you but my owners manual (M440 2021 Cockpit Professional) says that the maximum number of titles it can store the information for is 16000 per "memory device" and 40000 in total.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 09:50 AM   #13
mikethetike
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i Tourer

Hard Drive Capacity

Just to say, thanks guys for all the info, which I was struggling to find out for myself.
Appreciate 0