Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Is paint correction worth it?

11-04-2021, 08:44 PM   #1
P_Leotardo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i Xdrive

Is paint correction worth it?

Dealer delivery was let’s just say subpar. Is a paint correction worth it and what kind of longevity should I expect from that treatment ?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 05:05 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Is the car scratched or has swirl marks?

If that's the case , I would have at minimum asked for some money back to get it detailed.

Think you are asking for 2 things, paint correction ie to fix a fault ie swirl marks or to make the finish mirror like and remove orange peel
Second is to protect the car, many threads on that here whether using wax, silicon, ppf

Over the years I've visited dealers and looked at the cars on display and have on occasion seen brand new cars with tons of scratches on , no doubt due to improprt cleaning techniques, which doesn't do my OCD any good!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 08:45 AM   #3
ultrared93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '21 M340ix '93 300zxTT QX30

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Leotardo View Post
Dealer delivery was let’s just say subpar. Is a paint correction worth it and what kind of longevity should I expect from that treatment ?
Paint correction is used to remove imperfections like scratches or swirl marks. By itself it offers no protection. Once paint correction is done, it is the wax, sealant or coating applied that provides anywhere from a few weeks to a few years of "protection".
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 12:58 PM   #4
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

I would take the car to a respected professional detailer, NOT your dealer, who can advise you. As stated by others, paint correction is done prior to installing ppf and or ceramic coating to remove imperfections prior to sealing the finish in..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2021, 06:57 PM   #5
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteGuy View Post
I would take the car to a respected professional detailer, NOT your dealer, who can advise you. As stated by others, paint correction is done prior to installing ppf and or ceramic coating to remove imperfections prior to sealing the finish in..
+1. There's a very good chance that your dealer will make it worse than it already is. Take it to a reputable detailer and get your car coated and/or PPFed.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2021, 09:54 PM   #6
Timsdetailing
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW x3

Depending on how much marring there is on the vehicle, it can make sense. Really depends on the severity. Paint correction/enhancement is the process of smoothing out of the clear coat which is where all the swirls are. It's almost just as crucial to get the paint protected with a ceramic coating or wax (regularly) to maintain the effects of the coating but this will mostly depend on the maintenance and frequency of use of your vehicle.
Appreciate 0