Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Retrofit some unavailable features to a new build

11-21-2021, 08:29 PM   #1
cligslayer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 330i xDrive

Retrofit some unavailable features to a new build

Hey everyone! Finally pulled the trigger and just placed my order for my first Bimmer, a 2022 330i xDrive. I was super excited to really be able to customize this car exactly how I'd want to!

Unfortunately, that excitement quickly went away, as features were being discontinued or being moved to more premium lines every day it seemed due to the chip shortages. It started with the wireless charging mat quite a while back before I was even looking, then when I got to the dealer to actually start this process the Premium package which included HUD was replaced with the Premium 2 package, then Dynamic Handling Package, then the Driver Assistance Professional package. Now I see the Icon Laserlights have been removed from the build screens for the 330i a few days ago, and with my vehicle still not being built for a bit, I fear that will be the next thing to go away.

From what I've been researching, some things are easier to add on than others. The charging mat, HUD, and some sort of ACC would be at the top of my list.

I did a bunch of research on this forum, and since I am getting a tray that has neither NFC nor Qi charging, I believe I read from Tim on another post that you can retrofit the OEM charge by splicing the 12V, group, and the KCAN4 connectors on the BDC modules, and then use the OBDII tool and coding to set up reminders. Seems straightforward, and I've done a bit of wiring in the past, but after exhaustive googling, I still cannot figure what a KCAN4 (or KCAN2) is, other than it is some sort of bus or something. What I can't determine is, if I pull off the old mat and cupholders, what does a KCAN4 look like? Is it a bundle of wires? Am I looking for a module? If it's off the Body Domain Controller, where specifically is this module located, and if KCAN4 is a set of wires off this module, which wires would be needed? Next question would be, is it possible to retrofit the BMW digital key features since the OEM pad has NFC?

Next one would be ACC. I realize after researching on here that in order to truly upgrade to Driver Assistance Pro (I got the regular $700 one since that's all that was available), I would need about 4 radars for in the bumper, a new radar for under the front grill/air dam, at least 2-4 new modules, and someone at some dealership/aftermarket to calibrate it properly. If I could find all these things, likely set me back $4-6k. What about just doing ACC? I read on here that the G20 radar for the ACC is a shorter range, doesn't require so much in terms of actual equipment, and might be able to programmed with the OBDII tool/coding apps. I'm willing to put in some bucks, but I need to know how feasible it will be. And, truly, I would be most interested in the Driver Assistance Pro, and depending on what the options are, I may try to go that route.

How about the HUD? If I can find the equipment, what would be involved? I didn't see much on here about that one.

In the event the Laserlight is cancelled, how hard would it be to retrofit this? I would like to just brace myself lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 12:59 PM   #2
P_Leotardo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i Xdrive

Um, I think you should find a pre-owned one locally with the features you want or cancel the order and wait out the parts shortage. You dont have the economies of scale that a major automaker does to do this cost effectively or with some degree of quality.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 01:25 PM   #3
cligslayer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Leotardo View Post
Um, I think you should find a pre-owned one locally with the features you want or cancel the order and wait out the parts shortage. You dont have the economies of scale that a major automaker does to do this cost effectively or with some degree of quality.
I appreciate the suggestion but looking for what's doable in today's world. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 02:14 PM   #4
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

The thing is. Everything is doable. You can add ACC, HUD, Laser lights and what not. But you're looking at $10k+ (I think closer to $15k). And then there's coding all that. That is why the poster above recommended buying a used car with the stuff you need. You will not make any money back when you sell your car (you're probably not looking at making any money back). But yea.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 02:25 PM   #5
cligslayer
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
The thing is. Everything is doable. You can add ACC, HUD, Laser lights and what not. But you're looking at $10k+ (I think closer to $15k). And then there's coding all that. That is why the poster above recommended buying a used car with the stuff you need. You will not make any money back when you sell your car (you're probably not looking at making any money back). But yea.
I really do appreciate that realistic assessment. That's exactly why I'm on here asking what's possible, but also what's realistic based on ROI, and you helped outline that pretty well.

The truth is a lot of these are nice to haves vs. requirements. The charging mat seems to be a quick hit DIY project but I'd like some more details that I outlined above. I'd also like scope of work for the other things just so I know what's involved and where the most expensive parts of each will be. Then I can make an informed decision about what I'd like to do and not do.
Appreciate 0