Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Keys unresponsive - car would only unlock via the app

11-24-2021, 07:15 PM   #1
DAN
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 320d M Portimao Blue

Keys unresponsive - car would only unlock via the app

I had my first issue this evening with my 2019 320d M-Sport.

The car had probably been sat on the drive untouched for 30 hours or so. When I tried to unlock it with my main key, I got no response. So I tried the second key; exactly the same. None of the buttons seemed to provoke any response, although being dark I did notice looking through the window that the hazard warning button was lit, along with the engine-start and parking brake buttons.

I was curious if it would respond to the iPhone app. I tried the headlight flash - worked fine. After that I tried unlocking the car from the app and I was in. The engine started fine as well. After that point my key was also working again.

I haven't found anything similar on the forum - just people who got in ok, but their key wasn't detected to start the engine.

Does anyone out there have any clues what this might be? Good job I had the app connected and set up! I'll make a phone call in the morning to the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 08:45 PM   #2
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Try bringing both keys into the car with you, holding one up the right side of the steering column, and the other on the arm rest, and then mash the Start/Stop button a couple times. The fob should sync up with the car and the engine will start up

Hey Google, play "Who Am I" by Beenie Man
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 10:09 PM   #3
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

That's a weird issue.

When your car is parked for a long time, comfort access stops working until you use the button to unlock your car (walking up to the car with the key in your pocket won't evoke a response). It then works as usual. That is normal.
If the hazard warning light button is lit up, it means the car has either detected your key or your pull on the door handle. If you walk up to your car without your key on you and pull on the door handle or press the boot release button, the hazard warning light turns on (means the car has woken up).

Which is why I think that was probably a weird error since both keys didn't work and only your app helped. Hopefully it was a one off issue and won't happen again.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 07:07 AM   #4
DAN
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the replies. I don’t have comfort access on mine.

Unfortunately this happened again this morning and had to use the app to get in.

I’m wondering if to try de-registering the app in case it’s actually connected drive causing the issue. But if I do that and it still happens it’ll be a call to recovery - not via the car but via my phone as I won’t be able to get in!

I haven’t looked to see if there is a manual key lock on these cars to get in with the actual physical metal key hidden in the fob…?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 03:22 PM   #5
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAN View Post

Unfortunately this happened again this morning and had to use the app to get in.

I’m wondering if to try de-registering the app in case it’s actually connected drive causing the issue. But if I do that and it still happens it’ll be a call to recovery - not via the car but via my phone as I won’t be able to get in!

I haven’t looked to see if there is a manual key lock on these cars to get in with the actual physical metal key hidden in the fob…?
Time to get the service center to take a look at it.

And there is a manual key hole. You have to remove the plastic tab on the side of the door handle to access it (haven't checked my BMW's but my Audis and VWs have it there).
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 03:57 PM   #6
Trance-Elbow
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e Touring

Garage List
Quote:

There is a key lock in the drivers side door handle and it's quite easy to get out. This video shows how. However, it won't turn your alarm off, so hold your dead key against the left side of the steering column and hit the start button.

It's all in the manual if you're stuck, but very worthwhile info to remember if your fob battery goes flat. Which will only happen at night in the middle of nowhere in the rain during the winter.

Good luck getting it sorted though.

Regards
Chris.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 07:15 PM   #7
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

Just to clarify: "hold the dead key against the key marking on the steering column". (If the NFC reader is on the Left side or right side seems to depend on left or right hand driven car.)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 06:27 AM   #8
DAN
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the tips - I had a read of the manual and found the lock behind the cover.

This morning it happened again, so I used the manual key lock which unlocked the car and the alarm went off as expected. Unfortunately no matter how I held the key to that symbol and pressed the ignition button, it wouldn’t detect it so the alarm went on and on. I tried to use my app which had logged itself out so I had to fiddle around with that before I could eventually stop the alarm.

I decided to try a brand new 2032 battery in the key. Now that key is totally dead.

I’m down to one key that hasn’t always worked and my app now.

I bought the car last week, so I may be returning it to them on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 09:16 AM   #9
DAN
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I decided to try a brand new 2032 battery in the key. Now that key is totally dead.
I’m an idiot. I took the battery back out the key and realised I had left the safety sticker on the back. This was only from this morning, not what has caused the issues over the last few days. I did however have to repair the key with the car via the touch point on the steering block.

I guess I’ll see if this issue returns in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 04:37 AM   #10
DAN
Private First Class
Rep

Well it’s been several days since I replaced the battery in both keys and I’ve had no further issues so far.

I know it might sound like it was really obvious, but the fact both keys appeared to suddenly work after unlocking the car with the app and also the fact that I could unlock the car from a fair distance suggested to me at the time this wasn’t a key battery issue.

So it seems these smaller CR2032 batteries don’t last anywhere near as long as the chunkier ones in the F30 keys, and cause some very strange problems when they start running low.

Thanks everyone for your help 👍🏻
Appreciate 0