Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics iDrive Nav losing location for weeks, but now seems accurate?

11-28-2021, 08:43 AM   #1
OhFizzy
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i (G22)

iDrive Nav losing location for weeks, but now seems accurate?

Recently purchased a 2022 M440i (G22 RWD) with the Live Cockpit/Nav that has suddenly become a premium option. For the first 2 weeks after purchase, the position of the car would be wildly inaccurate. I reset the iDrive system a few times, and that would cause it to find the correct location, but only temporarily. As soon as I'd drive off, the GPS coordinates would indicate I had driven into ocean, or over the top of the San Gabriel Mountains, or into a city 50 miles east when I'd actually driven 50 miles south.

The BMW dealership I got this car from didn't seem to see the urgency in addressing this issue (after selling it marked up above MSRP), so once I finally got the service department to call me back, the soonest appointment available was a month after I bought the car. Now I'm 3 weeks out from purchase, and the GPS seems to have corrected itself. Has anyone experienced a similar issue? Thoughts on whether this is a software thing or satellite antenna failure? I'd rather avoid returning to that dealership because it's inconveniently located, and obviously not staffed by the most personable individuals. But if this is likely a hardware issue, then I need them to fix what they sold me.

Incidentally, this is my 5th BMW, going back to an E90 335i, and none of those ever exhibited a similar issue (even the E90 335i, with it's mostly useless Navi system, was at least accurate). Appreciate any thoughts you guys might have here.
Appreciate 0