Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions added wireless charging tray and coding for phone reminder

07-31-2020, 05:19 PM   #89
Bliskin884
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I

If anyone is still interested in knowing how to remove the plug from the NFC pad. I noticed that on my car the plug had a very tiny locking tab inside the plug, I was able to use a screwdriver for opening an iPhone (smaller than glasses screwdriver) to push on the tab through a small slit on the plug. While pushing on the tab, I pulled up and the plug came right off.

In addition, the 12 volt plug seems to have a small red lock that needs to be pulled back before you use a screw driver to push down on the large white tab holding the plug in place.

I was able to program the reminder using bimmercode.
Appreciate 2
      08-11-2020, 03:12 PM   #90
ctrlfreq
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

I wonder if we will be able to use the CarKey with iOS with the new ones? Has anyone been able to enable this with coding?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 04:56 PM   #91
Bliskin884
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I

My m340i was manufactured in March 2020 and I don't have the feature in the BMW app (If I recall correctly, I used the vin number to link my car to the app). The site concerning using the Iphone as a key states that the app will recognize if the vehicle is compatible with the digital key provided the vehicle is manufactured after July 2020. So it is my understanding that the app uses your vin number to determine whether or not to give you the option in the app.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2020, 02:06 PM   #92
spaten
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Can anyone that's completed this comment on the ease/difficulty of hitting the sweet spots on the charger. I would hope there are at least 2-3 coils in there to make it easier to drop your phone in a charging spot.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2020, 08:25 PM   #93
alphabot
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05

FYI, I spoke to a parts department today in regards to my G05 with NFC only, and it appears that this part:
84-10-9-434-000

...has been superseded by this part:
84-10-5-A0E-550

I believe this likely applies to any vehicles for which the former part applied.

I have ordered the latter part and when it arrives I will post an update regarding the retrofit and coding process. I do not currently have an NFC card, however, so I won't be able to comment on whether or not that functionality persists after the retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 01:12 PM   #94
hottroc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrafo View Post
...when it arrives I will post an update regarding the retrofit and coding process.
While you are doing this I'd really appreciate it if you could get a photo of where the other end of the wiring plugs into, if possible please?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2020, 01:48 PM   #95
granite_head
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

I just ordered this part as well. This'll be my first attempt at a DIY, and it looked like this was a relatively small/easy one to do for dipping my toe in the waters.

I have an active NFC card I can test after I've installed it. I don't plan to do any coding though. Enhanced bluetooth & tray reminder isn't important enough to me to brave messing with the computer. We'll see if I'm singing the same tune once I've left my phone in the car a couple times.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 11:09 AM   #96
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330ix M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by granite_head View Post
I just ordered this part as well. This'll be my first attempt at a DIY, and it looked like this was a relatively small/easy one to do for dipping my toe in the waters.

I have an active NFC card I can test after I've installed it. I don't plan to do any coding though. Enhanced bluetooth & tray reminder isn't important enough to me to brave messing with the computer. We'll see if I'm singing the same tune once I've left my phone in the car a couple times.
Seems like I forget my phone in my car alot especially lately.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2020, 01:39 PM   #97
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330ix M Sport

Garage List
Did anyone figure out if this LTE compensator #2 was needed?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 12:20 PM   #98
X32G20
Rep
Drives: G20

I just installed the wireless charger, part number 84-10-9-434-000 in my 330i build date of June 2020. I coded using BimmerCode as above and everything, including the device reminder, works perfectly.

It was a battle to get that final plug off the NFC pad. You have to rock it back and forth/jimmy it, comes off. I tried the screwdriver trick but wasn’t successful. If you have an eyeglasses screw, you may be able to push the tab on the plug so it comes out easier.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 02:12 PM   #99
juhcobywankenobi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabrafo View Post
FYI, I spoke to a parts department today in regards to my G05 with NFC only, and it appears that this part:
84-10-9-434-000

...has been superseded by this part:
84-10-5-A0E-550

I believe this likely applies to any vehicles for which the former part applied.

I have ordered the latter part and when it arrives I will post an update regarding the retrofit and coding process. I do not currently have an NFC card, however, so I won't be able to comment on whether or not that functionality persists after the retrofit.
Did you ever get this installed? Wish we knew what changes occurred since this is the latest part version...
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2020, 11:01 PM   #100
alphabot
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhcobywankenobi View Post
Did you ever get this installed? Wish we knew what changes occurred since this is the latest part version...
Part had to come out of Germany to US, now in transit to me in Australia -- will probably be another couple of weeks but I will provide updates once I get it
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2020, 10:14 AM   #101
granite_head
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My part (84-10-5-AOE-550) came in last week. Just installed last night. As for part differences, this one appears to be a different manufacturer (molex intead of laird?) Other than that don't know...

The install itself was pretty easy, I was done in 30 mins. I didn't even need to bother disconnecting the cupholders. There was enough play in the wires that I just laid it on the side of the console and could access the tray holder.

The plug was in there pretty tight. I couldn't get a good enough grip myself, but with a pair of mini-vice grips to hold it, and a good tug, it came right out.

Charging works great. NFC key card that came with my car doesn't seem to work anymore, though. I can still lock/unlock the doors, but the card is not recognized on the tray.

I can't test smartphone capability, since my Verizon Samsung S10 is incompatible with digital key, according to the connected app.

YMMV...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 02:39 PM   #102
juhcobywankenobi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
My part (84-10-5-AOE-550) came in last week. Just installed last night. As for part differences, this one appears to be a different manufacturer (molex intead of laird?) Other than that don't know...

The install itself was pretty easy, I was done in 30 mins. I didn't even need to bother disconnecting the cupholders. There was enough play in the wires that I just laid it on the side of the console and could access the tray holder.

The plug was in there pretty tight. I couldn't get a good enough grip myself, but with a pair of mini-vice grips to hold it, and a good tug, it came right out.

Charging works great. NFC key card that came with my car doesn't seem to work anymore, though. I can still lock/unlock the doors, but the card is not recognized on the tray.

I can't test smartphone capability, since my Verizon Samsung S10 is incompatible with digital key, according to the connected app.

YMMV...
Glad to hear it wasn't a tough install. May I ask where you purchased it? Also what kinda car is it for? It looks like it works for G05 and G20?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2020, 03:53 PM   #103
granite_head
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Glad to hear it wasn't a tough install. May I ask where you purchased it? Also what kinda car is it for? It looks like it works for G05 and G20?
Got it from BMW Parts Pros

I have a 2020 330xi.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2020, 08:50 PM   #104
juhcobywankenobi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Got it from BMW Parts Pros

I have a 2020 330xi.
Awesome thanks I'll get mine there. That's too bad about the NFC reader no longer working...
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 01:08 PM   #105
granite_head
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Awesome thanks I'll get mine there. That's too bad about the NFC reader no longer working...
A little more info on the NFC situation. Since installing, I've been playing around with it a bit. Since the definition of insanity is repeating the same steps and expecting a different result, and I'm insane, I've noticed the following:
95+% percent of time, more or less, the key card doesn't respond at all now (even for the door locks, which did work immediately after the install), but once in a few dozen tries, it actually will work - both for locking/unlocking the doors and starting the car from the tray.

I just have to stand there for 5 or 10 minutes tapping the card to the door handle or sliding around the card on the tray til it works, and interestingly enough, I shut the car off and tried to turn it back on without moving the card at all, and it failed again.

bizarre. I'm beginning to wonder if there's a loose wire somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 06:36 PM   #106
juhcobywankenobi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
A little more info on the NFC situation. Since installing, I've been playing around with it a bit. Since the definition of insanity is repeating the same steps and expecting a different result, and I'm insane, I've noticed the following:
95+% percent of time, more or less, the key card doesn't respond at all now (even for the door locks, which did work immediately after the install), but once in a few dozen tries, it actually will work - both for locking/unlocking the doors and starting the car from the tray.

I just have to stand there for 5 or 10 minutes tapping the card to the door handle or sliding around the card on the tray til it works, and interestingly enough, I shut the car off and tried to turn it back on without moving the card at all, and it failed again.

bizarre. I'm beginning to wonder if there's a loose wire somewhere.
Ah ok hmm yea sounds like those hw gremlins have gained access to your car.

I ordered the same part, when it arrives I'll install it and let you know how it goes with the charging ans NFC reader.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 07:08 PM   #107
bap340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340I

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyb74 View Post
Did anyone figure out if this LTE compensator #2 was needed?
I assume the LTE piece is for the hotspot feature of the charging tray?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 07:29 PM   #108
juhcobywankenobi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Installed P/N 84-10-5-A0E-550 today.

Was fairly easily, didn't notice the two tabs on the back of the cup holder spill mat, they are facing the back of the car. Once you pull up on those tabs the spill mat comes right out.

Didn't unplug the cupholder, I just used a rag and put it between the cupholder and my center console and left it dangling.

Noticed two plastic tabs holding the wireless charger in, pulled each one a bit and pushed the charger upward. Pulled the plug out by just giving it a good tug.

Programmed the cell phone reminder using esysx. Tested the NFC reader for my BMW key card and that still works too.

Overall it took me around 30 mins to compete everything. Glad I did it and thanks for all the info in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2020, 11:47 PM   #109
juhcobywankenobi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
I own an iPhone 11 Pro Max and it does not charge quickly at all. In fact for an hour drive it barely charges 1-2% is that to be expected?
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 04:24 PM   #110
alphabot
Australia
Rep

Quote:
I own an iPhone 11 Pro Max and it does not charge quickly at all. In fact for an hour drive it barely charges 1-2% is that to be expected?
While I'm *still* waiting on mine to arrive from the states -- this week hopefully -- what I've found in my G05 is that wireless CarPlay drains my battery really quickly. So if your phone is in the wireless charger tray but you're also using wireless CarPlay, maybe the charger is only enough to maintain current battery level? When I eventually get mine installed I'll post comments on charging effectiveness for my iPhone (on CarPlay) and also with a OnePlus 8 Pro that won't be connected to the X5 via BT or anything...
Appreciate 1