Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications NEW RELEASE: Dinan Stage 1 B46 Performance Engine Software

08-03-2021, 07:10 AM   #1
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

NEW RELEASE: Dinan Stage 1 B46 Performance Engine Software

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Name:  D900-B46-G_1_F.jpg
Views: 5473
Size:  384.8 KB

Dinan Stage 1 B46 Performance Engine Software

Part Number(s): D900-B46-G-S1 & D900-B46-G-S1-W

Applications:
  • 2019-2020 G20 330i
  • 2017-2020 G30 530i
  • 2018-2020 G01 X3 xDrive30i
  • 2019-2020 G02 X4 xDrive30i
  • 2019-2020 G29 Z4 sDrive30i
2021+ MY's not supported at this time.

Product Page(s) / Pricing:Release Date: Available Now!

Description: Engine software on a turbocharged platform is far and away the most cost-effective upgrade to improving engine performance. Through optimization of control strategies and taking full advantage of the engine’s capabilities, substantial power can be extracted without any additional modifications. For G chassis BMW’s equipped with the B46 motor this translates into nearly 50 WHP & 50 lb-ft of torque on pump gas with the capability of even more when running higher octane race fuels. With a 14-30% bump in power, depending on octane, the results are unmistakable… and enjoyable.

While increases in power via ECU upgrades in the marketplace can come at a cost to the engine's durability, this is typically due to improper calibrations that are simply after one goal regardless of engine health - maximum power. Dinan’s calibrations are safe and reliable without sacrificing long-term reliability or performance. Dinan performance engine software is so much more than just turning up the turbo boost after all. It is a fully re-tuned engine management program that maximizes power while keeping all the BMW factory safeguards in place. In most cases Dinan software engineers also implement their own additional safety precautions in order to guarantee flawless performance that may not have been needed with factory power levels/programming. Protecting your BMW, while giving the most performance, is the definition of "Performance Without Sacrifice". To do just that, drivetrain and engine components are analyzed for strength, and then the calibration is tested on the dyno and in the real world for durability and drivability. This process has been a cornerstone of Dinan software development for decades and a major reason why Dinan performance tunes are often labeled as being the smoothest, factory-like solution in the marketplace.

Dinan’s ECU upgrades are offered in numerous configurations depending on your specific needs, desires or limitations. Whether you are limited to 91 pump gas, want to experience maximum performance with 104 octane, or something in between, chances are Dinan has an option for you. At its core Dinan offers 2 base options; Stage 1 and Dinan +. The Dinan Stage 1 Performance Engine Software is designed for the B46 engine to yield maximum power (for a variety of different octanes), improve drivability, and remove the factory speed governor for unadulterated entertainment. The Dinan + variant of software offers these same features (albeit limited to 91/93 octane) but also carries the signature Dinan 4yr / 50k, factory matching new car warranty that the brand is synonymous with.

Features/Benefits (Stage 1):
  • More Power: Max gains of 44 WHP / 47 lb-ft of torque over stock on 93 octane with more on tap when using race fuels. Consult the performance charts for additional octanes and data.
  • Dinan Stage 1 performance software includes a limited lifetime warranty against defects in the software and provides free updates and reflashes as they become available. Labor or shipping charges are not included in the warranty.
  • Access to numerous octane calibrations depending on your needs (91, 93, 100 and 104). Switching between mappings would require a reflash at a Dinan authorized dealer.
  • Full map rescaling for drivability from idle to wide-open throttle and everywhere in between.
  • Optimized boost control, cam phasing, lamda targeting, fueling, airflow and temperature controls for maximum power output that is also safe and reliable.
  • Retains all BMW factory engine safeguards and adds numerous additional safety protections.
  • Top speed governor (VMAX) removed.
  • Torque by gear strategies implemented for maximum power output and traction.
  • Sport mode cooling that targets lower coolant temperatures added for optimum track effectiveness.
  • Pedal feel improved to naturally align with the increased torque output.
  • Sport gauges rescaled to reflect higher than stock power output.
  • Sport mode exhaust flaps that default to open.
  • “der Schubblubbern” (AKA Thrust Bubbles or Pops & Bangs) timer extended in Sport mode for additional audible satisfaction.
  • Remote start functionality (if equipped) completely retained. Digital key presence not required.

Features/Benefits (Dinan +):
  • More Power: Max gains of 37 WHP / 39 lb-ft of torque over stock with 91 octane. Consult the performance charts for additional data.
  • Dinan + performance software matches the factory new car warranty (4year / 50,000 mi) and is the warranty protection commonly associated with the Dinan brand.
  • Limited to a single calibration (91).
  • All other features from stage 1 above are shared with the Dinan + calibration.

Name:  D900-B46-G_2.jpg
Views: 5177
Size:  139.8 KB
Name:  D900-B46-G_3.jpg
Views: 5131
Size:  143.0 KB
Name:  D900-B46-G_4.jpg
Views: 5133
Size:  138.8 KB

Last edited by Dinan_Engineering; 10-14-2021 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 8
      08-03-2021, 08:29 AM   #2
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330xi m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Attachment 2663858

Part Number(s): D900-B46-G-S1 & D900-B46-G-S1-W

Applications:
  • 2019-2020 G20 330i
  • 2019-2020 G30 530i
  • 2019-2020 G01 X3 xDrive30i
  • 2019-2020 G02 X4 xDrive30i
  • 2019-2020 G29 Z4 sDrive30i
Limited to to 2019-2020 MY's. 2021+ MY's not supported at this time.

Product Page(s) / Pricing:Release Date: [COLOR="Red"]Available Now![/COLOR]

Description: Engine software on a turbocharged platform is far and away the most cost-effective upgrade to improving engine performance. Through optimization of control strategies and taking full advantage of the engine’s capabilities, substantial power can be extracted without any additional modifications. For G chassis BMW’s equipped with the B46 motor this translates into nearly 50 WHP & 50 lb-ft of torque on pump gas with the capability of even more when running higher octane race fuels. With a 14-30% bump in power, depending on octane, the results are unmistakable… and enjoyable.

While increases in power via ECU upgrades in the marketplace can come at a cost to the engine's durability, this is typically due to improper calibrations that are simply after one goal regardless of engine health - maximum power. Dinan’s calibrations are safe and reliable without sacrificing long-term reliability or performance. Dinan performance engine software is so much more than just turning up the turbo boost after all. It is a fully re-tuned engine management program that maximizes power while keeping all the BMW factory safeguards in place. In most cases Dinan software engineers also implement their own additional safety precautions in order to guarantee flawless performance that may not have been needed with factory power levels/programming. Protecting your BMW, while giving the most performance, is the definition of "Performance Without Sacrifice". To do just that, drivetrain and engine components are analyzed for strength, and then the calibration is tested on the dyno and in the real world for durability and drivability. This process has been a cornerstone of Dinan software development for decades and a major reason why Dinan performance tunes are often labeled as being the smoothest, factory-like solution in the marketplace.

Dinan’s ECU upgrades are offered in numerous configurations depending on your specific needs, desires or limitations. Whether you are limited to 91 pump gas, want to experience maximum performance with 104 octane, or something in between, chances are Dinan has an option for you. At its core Dinan offers 2 base options; Stage 1 and Dinan +. The Dinan Stage 1 Performance Engine Software is designed for the B46 engine to yield maximum power (for a variety of different octanes), improve drivability, and remove the factory speed governor for unadulterated entertainment. The Dinan + variant of software offers these same features (albeit limited to 91/93 octane) but also carries the signature Dinan 4yr / 50k, factory matching new car warranty that the brand is synonymous with.

Features/Benefits (Stage 1):
  • More Power: Max gains of 44 WHP / 47 lb-ft of torque over stock on 93 octane with more on tap when using race fuels. Consult the performance charts for additional octanes and data.
  • Dinan Stage 1 performance software includes a limited lifetime warranty against defects in the software and provides free updates and reflashes as they become available. Labor or shipping charges are not included in the warranty.
  • Access to numerous octane calibrations depending on your needs (91, 93, 100 and 104). Switching between mappings would require a reflash at a Dinan authorized dealer.
  • Full map rescaling for drivability from idle to wide-open throttle and everywhere in between.
  • Optimized boost control, cam phasing, lamda targeting, fueling, airflow and temperature controls for maximum power output that is also safe and reliable.
  • Retains all BMW factory engine safeguards and adds numerous additional safety protections.
  • Top speed governor (VMAX) removed.
  • Torque by gear strategies implemented for maximum power output and traction.
  • Sport mode cooling that targets lower coolant temperatures added for optimum track effectiveness.
  • Pedal feel improved to naturally align with the increased torque output.
  • Sport gauges rescaled to reflect higher than stock power output.
  • Sport mode exhaust flaps that default to open.
  • “der Schubblubbern” (AKA Thrust Bubbles or Pops & Bangs) timer extended in Sport mode for additional audible satisfaction.
  • Remote start functionality (if equipped) completely retained. Digital key presence not required.

Features/Benefits (Dinan +):
  • More Power: Max gains of 37 WHP / 39 lb-ft of torque over stock with 91 octane. Consult the performance charts for additional data.
  • Dinan + performance software matches the factory new car warranty (4year / 50,000 mi) and is the warranty protection commonly associated with the Dinan brand.
  • Limited to a single calibration (91).
  • All other features from stage 1 above are shared with the Dinan + calibration.

Attachment 2663859
Attachment 2663860
Attachment 2663861
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 12:52 PM   #3
F80LB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

Oh man, that's pretty sweet! Can't wait for the B48 flash!
Appreciate 2
      08-03-2021, 04:10 PM   #4
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M850i, 22 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by g20lb View Post
Oh man, that's pretty sweet! Can't wait for the B48 flash!
If your location info is accurate, (USA) then you have a B46. All USA G20 330i are B46.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 04:25 PM   #5
F80LB
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
If your location info is accurate, (USA) then you have a B46. All USA G20 330i are B46.
Gotcha! Got some clarification directly from OP himself about that one as well. For some reason, I though it was the other way around lol
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 04:38 PM   #6
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M850i, 22 X6 M50i

Quote:
Attachment 2663858

No E85 charts? Bit surprised with a modern platform 100 and 104 octane were used and not E85.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 04:02 AM   #7
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport

Garage List
Hmmm... So, how does the Dinan warranty work on a US-spec car in Europe?

I think military/diplomatic purchase cars have a 3 year warranty here. Does the 4yr/50000mi warranty still apply to us?

Now to figure out how to get the DME to you, I'm not sure how long I can be without the car. I might have to wait until next summer when we're home for a visit.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 06:53 AM   #8
Punkwrock
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i-X

These flashes are nice and i would LOVE to have it. I did have Bootmod3 on my 2020 330i until i had a warranty claim and they had to replace the communication module which required a DME update to make anything communications related in my car work again. So because of this update i could no longer unlock my car through OBD and would have to send out my ECU. Personally i can't go weeks without a vehicle so i sold my Bootmod3 license. Yes i could of sent my ECU to get bench unlocked...but if i were to have another warranty issue that requires an update i would be screwed again and have to send the ecu out AGAIN. In my opinion until they find a way that we can OBD unlock ourselves it is more of a hassle than anything else. Hopefully a solution will be found soon because i would buy this in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 07:18 AM   #9
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
No E85 charts? Bit surprised with a modern platform 100 and 104 octane were used and not E85.
Factory fueling system would need to be upgraded in order to support E85. Right now there simply isnt enough injector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmet91 View Post
Hmmm... So, how does the Dinan warranty work on a US-spec car in Europe?

I think military/diplomatic purchase cars have a 3 year warranty here. Does the 4yr/50000mi warranty still apply to us?

Now to figure out how to get the DME to you, I'm not sure how long I can be without the car. I might have to wait until next summer when we're home for a visit.
The factory matching Dinan+ warranty is specific to the NA market (US/Canada) I'm afraid. To put it simply, laws are different overseas, and there aren't the same protections that limit overreach like there are here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkwrock View Post
These flashes are nice and i would LOVE to have it. I did have Bootmod3 on my 2020 330i until i had a warranty claim and they had to replace the communication module which required a DME update to make anything communications related in my car work again. So because of this update i could no longer unlock my car through OBD and would have to send out my ECU. Personally i can't go weeks without a vehicle so i sold my Bootmod3 license. Yes i could of sent my ECU to get bench unlocked...but if i were to have another warranty issue that requires an update i would be screwed again and have to send the ecu out AGAIN. In my opinion until they find a way that we can OBD unlock ourselves it is more of a hassle than anything else. Hopefully a solution will be found soon because i would buy this in a heartbeat.
Bench flashes are not ideal for anyone, ourselves included, but its what we have to work with at present so for those that wish to go that route and get something sooner there is an option. Field unlocks are being worked on, by everyone as is the '21 MY limitation so its just a matter of time but the timetable on that is anyone's guess. The final piece on a major breakthrough could happen today or years from now.
Appreciate 1
Punkwrock118.50
      08-04-2021, 09:04 AM   #10
clone1008
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330i

Quote:
Bench flashes are not ideal for anyone...
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 11:23 AM   #11
jeegunkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive, 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Factory fueling system would need to be upgraded in order to support E85. Right now there simply isnt enough injector.
What about E85 blend like E30?

Also, is that the upcoming Dinan exhaust in that image for the 330i?
      08-04-2021, 01:31 PM   #12
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeegunkim View Post
What about E85 blend like E30?

Also, is that the upcoming Dinan exhaust in that image for the 330i?
For emissions reasons we do not deal with blends -- only fuels that can be purchased directly from a pump.

And yes, the tip you see in the image is part of the upcoming exhaust release on the platform.
Appreciate 2
helmet91278.50
EDWYER1667.50
      08-04-2021, 02:25 PM   #13
jeegunkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive, 2023 M3CX

Quote:
For emissions reasons we do not deal with blends -- only fuels that can be purchased directly from a pump.

And yes, the tip you see in the image is part of the upcoming exhaust release on the platform.
Nice, by any chance will the tips with angled similar to stock? ANy adjustability at all on the tips? Thanks.
      08-04-2021, 04:00 PM   #14
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeegunkim View Post
Nice, by any chance will the tips with angled similar to stock? ANy adjustability at all on the tips? Thanks.
They are bolt on tips so they are "adjustable." They are not angled however. Traditional Dinan stright tip.
Appreciate 1
bquatt218.50
      08-05-2021, 03:04 AM   #15
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
The factory matching Dinan+ warranty is specific to the NA market (US/Canada) I'm afraid. To put it simply, laws are different overseas, and there aren't the same protections that limit overreach like there are here.
Bummer. Looks like I'll have to wait until the international warranty is up before I pull the trigger. I guess I save a few bucks on the tune buy purchasing w/o the warranty. It also allows me to see other owners' experiences over the next two years.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 11:29 AM   #16
Cityofangeles323
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

So what would be the process in getting this done? I have a 2019 330i with a 07/2020 software update. I called dinan dealers in my area to inquire and it seems that they're not familiar.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 12:50 PM   #17
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityofangeles323 View Post
So what would be the process in getting this done? I have a 2019 330i with a 07/2020 software update. I called dinan dealers in my area to inquire and it seems that they're not familiar.
Basically a Dinan dealer will send your ECU off to Dinan who will then flash it with their software. It's then shipped back and re-installed.

Dinan_Engineering should be able to help out with the process. Their customer service is always quick to respond.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2021, 12:54 PM   #18
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityofangeles323 View Post
Process is outlined on the product page but essentially its mailing in the DME to us (yourself or a dealer) along with a printout of the ECU Flashing Submission Form (https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/7b...4e94d7841d20b4). It arrives, we unlock/flash and send back for a retail customer or unlock and send back to the dealer where they flash on site. Turnaround is ultimately dependent on whether its a known variant we have already built a file for or if we have to port files around. Generally speaking we would have the DME for 24-72 hours depending on volume but if its a completely foreign variant it may be up to 7 days to get everythign worked out. That is unlikely but we like the expectation to be there as it does happen on occassion.
Appreciate 1
bquatt218.50
      09-14-2021, 10:15 AM   #19
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Has anyone had this tune flashed yet? Looking forward to hearing reviews
Appreciate 1
pneumodoc231.50
      09-14-2021, 01:24 PM   #20
dezau
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bquatt View Post
Has anyone had this tune flashed yet? Looking forward to hearing reviews
Following.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 03:48 PM   #21
domingo
Rep
Drives: Bmw g20 330i

Is it only for the b46 engines? Does it work for b48?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 03:57 PM   #22
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by domingo View Post
Is it only for the b46 engines? Does it work for b48?

Thanks
B46 is all we get here in the US on the G20. I'm sure the tune could be adapted for the B48 easily enough but it would certainly be a new box code and therefore would require the DME to be sent in and ported which may take a bit longer then standard turns.
Appreciate 0