Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA What are the cool things you like about your car?

11-09-2021, 06:57 PM   #1
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
What are the cool things you like about your car?

I’m assuming that most people on this forum have had their car for a while now. And now that we’re all allowed to go out and drive, what are the cool things you love about your car?

For me, apart from the excellent 6 cylinder engine, xDrive road holding, and M-tech braking, the cool thing I like is the reverse assistant.
In one of my garages, I have to sort of zig-zag in so that I can give maximum door swinging room for the dogs’ beach going Golf. Yes, they have their own car for going to the beach and coming home soaking wet and covered in sand (not a happening thing for the Beemer).
Anyway, the reverse assistant makes it so easy for me to back out on my tight zig-zag trajectory knowing that I’m not going to scrape anything on a pillar or another car. Love it!
      11-11-2021, 06:14 AM   #2
Michael BD
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M340iXDrive

I love the different modes i can switch too- Sports Plus is favourite of course
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 01:28 PM   #3
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael BD View Post
I love the different modes i can switch too- Sports Plus is favourite of course
Oh yeah. It’s a lot of fun!
      11-12-2021, 02:08 PM   #4
Bris-M340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

The smooth power delivery from the inline 6. I also like the build quality, everything just feels so solid.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 04:58 PM   #5
westozy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

the brake when stopped button. takes the pressure off my poor old tired knee.
the mid range speed acceleration for overtaking.
the gear box.
the follow the road headlights.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 09:17 PM   #6
T-Rex Au
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i x-drive

The whole package.

I think BMW have got it right (IMHO) with my M340i.

It is comfortable on the daily commute, it's quick and fun to drive and the tech is great. It also looks the goods (no beaver tooth grill)

I can't fault it
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2021, 11:18 AM   #7
skylinebmwm5
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330i G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
I’m assuming that most people on this forum have had their car for a while now. And now that we’re all allowed to go out and drive, what are the cool things you love about your car?

For me, apart from the excellent 6 cylinder engine, xDrive road holding, and M-tech braking, the cool thing I like is the reverse assistant.
In one of my garages, I have to sort of zig-zag in so that I can give maximum door swinging room for the dogs’ beach going Golf. Yes, they have their own car for going to the beach and coming home soaking wet and covered in sand (not a happening thing for the Beemer).
Anyway, the reverse assistant makes it so easy for me to back out on my tight zig-zag trajectory knowing that I’m not going to scrape anything on a pillar or another car. Love it!
I also love the reverse assistant. It's funny when I first watched car review about this feature before getting my G20, I was thinking what a useless gimmick. But now I use it surprisingly frequent to get out of awkward work car park spots.

Any idea how accurate it is? I got a very tight driveway (less than 10cm left on each side when I go in), and not brave enough to go head in and reverse it out using the reverse assistant. Would save my hassle to turn it around in the backyard & garage everyday if it's perfectly accurate
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 06:00 PM   #8
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinebmwm5 View Post
I also love the reverse assistant. It's funny when I first watched car review about this feature before getting my G20, I was thinking what a useless gimmick. But now I use it surprisingly frequent to get out of awkward work car park spots.

Any idea how accurate it is? I got a very tight driveway (less than 10cm left on each side when I go in), and not brave enough to go head in and reverse it out using the reverse assistant. Would save my hassle to turn it around in the backyard & garage everyday if it's perfectly accurate
For me, it has been faultless and very accurate.
When I drive into the garage, I position my passenger mirror so that it misses the garage pillar by a couple of centimetres. I then wiggle my way in so the front left bumper misses the left hand wall by about 10 centimetres, and then I straighten up.
I always use the reverse assistant to back out, and the clearances are exactly as they were when going forward.
Of course, I reverse out slowly to ensure total accuracy and to allow myself some intervention time is something looks like it’s going pear shaped.
Up until now, I have not had one problem, even with these low clearance tolerances.
      11-15-2021, 06:51 AM   #9
Terman
Australia
Rep
Drives: VW Golf, 2021 BMW 330i

Right, here's my submission:
  • Brakes: solid brakes. I'd say the best braking experience so far, for me, driving sedans
  • Laser lights: the software & sensors that drives the dynamic shape, and responsiveness of the adaptive lights to corner, dip, or flood the road with light is really nice
  • Smooth transmission and drive train
  • Rotary control on the steering wheel that allows you to scroll your music tracks list in the head-up display is nice
  • Driving modes
  • Digital instrument cluster, head-up display
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 09:16 AM   #10
skylinebmwm5
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: 330i G20

Quote:
For me, it has been faultless and very accurate.
When I drive into the garage, I position my passenger mirror so that it misses the garage pillar by a couple of centimetres. I then wiggle my way in so the front left bumper misses the left hand wall by about 10 centimetres, and then I straighten up.
I always use the reverse assistant to back out, and the clearances are exactly as they were when going forward.
Of course, I reverse out slowly to ensure total accuracy and to allow myself some intervention time is something looks like it’s going pear shaped.
Up until now, I have not had one problem, even with these low clearance tolerances.
Thanks! Let me try it out, would be great saving me time and some tyre trend without needing to turn it around inside the backyard
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 02:31 PM   #11
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

THE COOL:
  • The overall 'feel' of the package. The driving experience. The driving position is 100% perfect. The brakes are great. The steering is good. Everything feels like it was designed in unison.
  • The engine is lag free, pulls hard and is strong down low and will zing to the reline. I imagine the B48 does not sound as nice as the B58 (I'm a bit scared to drive a 340 because of what it might do to my wallet) but at around 3k to 4k RPM under load the B48 sounds fruity. You can even get some bangs and pops on the overrun in sport plus.
  • The ZF is almost perfect (if you drive it enough you can notice the very subtle downshifts when you start going up a hill, even if you have not applied more throttle. I suspect sensors detect the change of angle with prompts a downshift). Almost never caught in the wrong gear. Fast down shifts. Responsive 'manual' shifts. Will hold your gear.
  • Multiple personality - can be driven sedately and behaves like a true cruiser (wife and kid on board style). Low NVH and quiet. With a press of a button it can turn into a completely different machine.
  • If you have not done so already get up early when there is no traffic. Put it in sport plus and find your favorite twisty road. Drive this car hard. It likes it and will reward you.
  • I drive is second to none. Great and easy to use system.
  • The Adaptive cruise control works perfectly. Very useful feature on longer drives.
  • It's overall pretty roomy (think e 39 5 series). Small family can handle easily.
  • The AC is strong.
  • The standard stereo is OK but the placement of the base speakers under the doors means no more door rattle vibrations.
  • Good fuel economy.
  • Good paint quality.
  • You can't lock your keys in the boot. I managed to do this in a recently rented KIA.

THE NOT SO COOL
  • Some disappointing building quality - I've got some slightly off wrinkles in a corner of my steering wheel. Live with it.
  • B pillar plastic pop and creak due to a misaligned B pillar door trim. I've noticed some other G20s have this too. Rubber conditioner and some strategically placed felt and cardboard have reduced the noise by 90% I'd say.
  • Very slightly misaligned driver's door. I had to adjust the locking plate myself.
  • Very slight creak from the rear middle seat sometimes when going down steep driveways. I'd say 90% of people would never notice it.
  • The dreaded helicopter sound from the fuel tank when it is low. There is no fix to this. BMW are uninterested. They did an i level software update as per service bulletin. It is slightly better but it is still there. I choose to ignore it as it does not affect how the car drives.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=27843899

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently had the opportunity to drive a few competitors as our family will soon be 'upgraded' to 2 children.

A B9 A4 45 tsi, a V60CC and a Tesla model 3 Long Range. and I definitely made the right choice to go g20 BMW.

B9 A4 45 TSI

It's nice but:
  • the driving position is crook. Some reviews have mentioned it but the pedals (I'm 5 11 with longish legs) stick out too far. It results in a bit of a 'legs up' driving position. It's OK but it does not feel natural.
  • Harsh ride. Harder than my 330i. Really suffers from not having adaptive dampers with a softer setting.
  • the EA888 is very smooth (smoother than the B48) and quiet but it has more of a turbo character whereas the B48 feels almost NA. The exhaust tone was also completely characterless.
  • Steering was very meh.
  • Touch screen only interaction is very meh.
  • Creaks galore.

I'm not sure what Audi is aiming for. Is this a luxury car or a sports car? IMO it was not super luxurious or super sporty. It sort of sits awkwardly in the middle.

VOLVO v60CC

For the Volvo - it made me really appreciate the BMW's drive train and I drive system.
  • Excellent build quality. Not a creak. Premium looking interior materials. Excellent static showroom appeal.

BUT
  • That B5 drive train is VERY workmanlike. Actually it was downright disappointing. Probably one of the worst I've experienced and it has no right being in a 'premium car'. I'd say a Toyota Corolla would have a more satisfying drive train. Powerful enough but slow revving, grumbly and noisy. Zero character other than being surly and annoyed I was prodding it. You also cannot turn off start stop.

Other observations
  • Nice brake pedal feel.
  • Very light steering.
  • Lots of room.
  • Nice seats.
  • Annoying UI for the Sensus system. Laggy digital dials that were too dark. Alot of the text is also small.

This is a complete cruiser for someone who never really goes above 3.5k RPM and gently gets up to 60 KPM.

TESLA MODEL 3 LR

Overall impressions are positive. However, it feels like a first generation product. With refinements it could almost be perfect.

if you are coming from a C class, 3 series or A4, lexus IS or similar or above IMO it lacks just a little bit of final polish in the ride (stiffer than a g20 330i and road noise is slightly louder. I'm being picky here, how many people will notice or care? If you are coming from a Camry or similar it will be a revelation)

However, it is unquestionably cool and very fashionable and the driving experience leaves a lasting impression.

Liked
  • FAST. Seriously fast. Embarrassingly fast. Sickeningly fast. It made my 70 y o dad feel sick. Power. Heaps of it in complete silence. However the acceleration I think would become boring.
  • Plenty of room for what it is. No drive line tunnel in the back seat is great.
  • Good stereo.
  • Cool glass roof.

Did not like
  • Jittery ride quality and noisier than my 330i.
  • Absolutely terrible "deal breaking" brake pedal feel.
  • While materials quality is good and befits the price. Build quality/fit was pretty average. OK for a 40k car. Brand new car had squeaks and rattles. Obviously loose B pillar trim. However, paint and shut lines looked fine in my tester. For some reason the backup cameras went purple under artificial light.
  • I feel like the car would get boring after while.
  • Not a huge fan of one pedal driving, although I'm sure you would get used to it.
  • Needs a head up display desperately.
  • Noise floor is just a bit higher than my 330i.

IMO with a head up display, more attention to detail in the interior and a less jittery ride it would be a real contender.

--------------

Last edited by erawamai; 11-17-2021 at 03:02 PM..
Appreciate 3
      11-17-2021, 05:01 PM   #12
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Wow! That was a seriously comprehensive report!
Excellent observations and information.

I agree with all your points regarding the G20, although, fortunately, I do not have the creaks that you seem to have (or I’m deaf and choose to ignore them ).
I certainly agree with your comments on the Audi. I looked at an S4 Avant and was not overly impressed. A functional machine, but did not give me any fuzzy feelings in the gentleman's region, unlike the M340.
I have not driven a Tesla 3, mainly because I’m scared I might like it and also because the front end is seriously ugly!
      11-17-2021, 07:31 PM   #13
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

Quote:
Wow! That was a seriously comprehensive report!
Excellent observations and information.

I agree with all your points regarding the G20, although, fortunately, I do not have the creaks that you seem to have (or I’m deaf and choose to ignore them ).
I certainly agree with your comments on the Audi. I looked at an S4 Avant and was not overly impressed. A functional machine, but did not give me any fuzzy feelings in the gentleman's region, unlike the M340.
I have not driven a Tesla 3, mainly because I’m scared I might like it and also because the front end is seriously ugly!
Hahaha - just keeping notes on my experiences. The A4 was a letdown. It just was not special. Maybe I'm not an Audi guy. I looked at a Q5 and did not bother test driving it. I'd pick a Lexus NX or a top Mazda CX5 over it. It just had that cheap plastic interior smell of a brand new 2010 Kia.

Honestly, the Model 3 is not a patch on the 3 series. I really wanted to like it but it's just overall very anodyne and lacking polish. It is however an interesting experience and worth a test drive. It needs a better ride, a head up display, better brake pedal feel (seriously the worst pedal feel of any car I have ever driven) and the ability to adjust regenerative braking if they are going to charge circa $80k.

Having said that my impression of Tesla is that they are a well oiled machine. Fast callbacks and systems for converting test drives into sales. It's impressive what Tesla has been able to do in their short time.

I tried to arrange a test drive of a Genesis GV70 by leaving my details twice and no one has called me back. They will not make it in Aus despite apparently good product.
Appreciate 0