Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum 2019 BMW 3 Series G20 Configurator is Up! Post Your Build

01-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #89
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Score04 View Post
I had a question. I was building a 330i.

When choosing M-Sport, why doesn't it state what that $5,000 gets you? I feel this was easier to figure out on the bmwusa.com site before. If not, can anyone direct me to something that specifies what is in that $5K M Sport package. I know what it entails but want the specifics.

When you select building an M-Sport Package, you can't get the convenience package? So, this car will not be equipped with Lumbar Support, Comfort Access Keyless Entry or Blind Spot Detection?

I see that if you select the Executive Package for $2100 it includes everything in the $900 Parking Assistance Package so that's okay.

The configurator doesn't expand what is in the $1700 Driving Assistance Professional Package. I guess it allows to add that.

All in all, are the extra safety features not allowed to be added when in M Sport?

Is the Track Handling Package worth it? I wouldn't track the car and thought the M Sport Brakes would be standard with the M Sport Package but guess it's still optional. Is the differential worth having in daily driving? I guess I just don't know enough about it if anyone can elaborate a few positives for having it on a daily driver not tracking it. Any thoughts or answers, please?

Thanks!
The configurator has some inaccuracies to it. Seems like it's best used for visualizing how your car would look but the package, pricing and descriptions are wrong.

Check out the ordering guide and look under M Sport to see what's included:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1555055
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 01:25 PM   #90
sbt007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
There is no such thing as a 340i. The G20 has renamed it the M340i to highlight the M Sport Package and M Performance parts. Smart marketing, but it's basically the G20 equivalent of an F30 340i with all the options M Performance options checked. I'm glad they are going all out on the 340i this time, there is little reason to have a 340i without the M Performance enhancements. Non-enthusiasts are fine with the 330i and the distinction of the M340i makes it a stronger model overall.
Are you sure about this. Likely they will still have a regular 340 line and even a M-Sport package for it. The M340i is like half a step higher than that. Although it is true so far they have only talked about the M340i.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #91
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSpy View Post
When is the only trim level worth my time going to be available? If I wanted a four banger I'd get a fucking Corolla. Bring on the M340i please........ and fast........
If you were important enough for me to know what your time is worth I'd tell you. But as it is...
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 01:38 PM   #92
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProperBimmer View Post
The new Honda Accord looks amazing guys!
I'm sure it is - what generation is this now, 10th, 11th? - but sadly for us communist rock-bangers the Accord has been dead for several years now. Volumes in 2015 were in three figures per country.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 01:41 PM   #93
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
M-Sport includes the Convenience Package
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 01:48 PM   #94
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbt007 View Post
Are you sure about this. Likely they will still have a regular 340 line and even a M-Sport package for it. The M340i is like half a step higher than that. Although it is true so far they have only talked about the M340i.
Pretty sure. The F30 340i doesn't sell as well as the 320i and 330i because of the price. They were being heavily discounted even when new. Adding a 'M' to it ups it's visibility significantly even to the casual enthusiast. Those who could not afford a true M car can now suddenly get their foot in the door with an M Performance car. It seems to be working, because I think it's going to do well. Most people didn't think the 340i was an S4 competitor simple because it didn't have a specialized badge like 'S' does. Frankly, since most people don't really take advantage of the M3/4's true capabilities anyway, it's more about the badge and bragging rights. Can't really blame BMW for taking advantage of human nature. It's nice that they upped the performance aspects of the M340i too, but that is to be expected in the next gen 3 series flagship. Had the M340i still be named the 340i, it would probably be exactly the same as a fully spec'ed 340i M Sport without the badges.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 02:13 PM   #95
sbt007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Pretty sure. The F30 340i doesn't sell as well as the 320i and 330i because of the price. They were being heavily discounted even when new. Adding a 'M' to it ups it's visibility significantly even to the casual enthusiast. Those who could not afford a true M car can now suddenly get their foot in the door with an M Performance car. It seems to be working, because I think it's going to do well. Most people didn't think the 340i was an S4 competitor simple because it didn't have a specialized badge like 'S' does. Frankly, since most people don't really take advantage of the M3/4's true capabilities anyway, it's more about the badge and bragging rights. Can't really blame BMW for taking advantage of human nature. It's nice that they upped the performance aspects of the M340i too, but that is to be expected in the next gen 3 series flagship. Had the M340i still be named the 340i, it would probably be exactly the same as a fully spec'ed 340i M Sport without the badges.
I guess that makes sense. Mercedes and Audi have the C43 AMG and S4 as the mid-performance level and the entry levels are all 4-bangers.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 02:25 PM   #96
Score04
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘23 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauleebe View Post
The configurator has some inaccuracies to it. Seems like it's best used for visualizing how your car would look but the package, pricing and descriptions are wrong.

Check out the ordering guide and look under M Sport to see what's included:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1555055
Thanks! I'll have to print it out and see if I can figure these order guides out. BMW's has always been confusing to me so I may just need to stare at it some more.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 03:58 PM   #97
Jackbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_340i View Post

- The way I configured a 330xi I got $56k. So I'm guessing for the M340i I actually want will be in the $65k range.
As always there are huge prices differences between the USA and Europe (Switzerland).

I played a while with the configurator on bmw.ch and a well-equipped 330i costs more than 80k CHF which is over 80k USD. I think that the same configuration for M340i would be probably be over 90k. mad0259:

Technically G20 is for sure a step forward but when it comes to design it is a total failure IMO. It looks simply strange from all angles. From F30 the 3 Series started to loose something I always like about these cars. I have never been a huge fan of F30, mainly due to its front fascia and side profile but the G20 is the next step in the wrong direction. I doesn't look handsome at all like all the E generations before in their time.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 04:10 PM   #98
praxis218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbmw View Post
As always there are huge prices differences between the USA and Europe (Switzerland).

I played a while with the configurator on bmw.ch and a well-equipped 330i costs more than 80k CHF which is over 80k USD. I think that the same configuration for M340i would be probably be over 90k. mad0259:
Move to the USA
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 04:19 PM   #99
praxis218
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Those who could not afford a true M car can now suddenly get their foot in the door with an M Performance car. It seems to be working, because I think it's going to do well.

Had the M340i still be named the 340i, it would probably be exactly the same as a fully spec'ed 340i M Sport without the badges.
Some people just don't want the harshness of a M car for a daily commute. As for price, a M2 is not exactly expensive, let alone a 2-year old slightly depreciated M3/M4. Even new I don't think an extra $10k is going to break the bank.

The M340i will have a LSD, which didn't exist on the 340i. Also xDrive isn't on the M2/M3/M4.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 04:31 PM   #100
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackbmw View Post
I doesn't look handsome at all like all the E generations before in their time.
Are you sure about that? Following the evolutionary elegance of the E36, the E90 was a pretty big faux pas at least until the LCI fixed the gawky rear lights and undersized wheels. The fleet 320d in doom blue and 16" steels looked very badly sorted for a production car (the 318d/320d representing ~50% of global 3 series sales, of course, so you'd think they'd get the basics right).

I'd certainly have an F30 over an E90 in a heartbeat, and I'd even promise not to scream on the internet about the steering, whilst sitting dead stationary, in diesel-choked London traffic
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 05:07 PM   #101
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis218 View Post
Some people just don't want the harshness of a M car for a daily commute.
How valid is that point if most enthusiasts get aftermarket suspension on their 340i which are either just as or more harsh than the stock M3/4 suspension? Throttle response in comfort mode is equally manageable and pleasant in the M3/4 as it is in the 340i. I commuted with both cars and I didn't find the M3/4 to be any less pleasant or more harsh for a 40 mile commute.

Lets be realistic, it's about price. If the M3/4 were the same price as a 340i, most likely you would choose the M3/4. However, at it is priced now, most who chose a 340i are doing so because the premium is not worth the added performance the M3/4 offers. Rest assured, the relationship in inversely proportional to disposable income. As disposable income goes up, the overall instances of choosing a 340i due to cost goes down. Sure we can "afford" more expensive cars, it just becomes "not worth it" because worth is relative.

Quote:
As for price, a M2 is not exactly expensive,
Sure it is. Expense is not dictated by the MSRP alone. Selling price vs depreciation is a better indication. The trade-off of performance and a less desirable lease depreciation for the M2 vs the M3/4 makes it hard to justify an M2 unless you really want the size and dynamics of that car. A new 340i or 2018 outgoing M3 can currently be discounted by about $10k. Not so with the M2.

Quote:
let alone a 2-year old slightly depreciated M3/M4. Even new I don't think an extra $10k is going to break the bank.
Compared to a similar condition used 340i, it is still more expensive. Then you have to consider maintenance.

Quote:
The M340i will have a LSD, which didn't exist on the 340i. Also xDrive isn't on the M2/M3/M4.
This is a huge plus for the M340i and remedies one of the disadvantages that the F30 340i has against the M3/4. However, the M3/4 will always be lighter than the 340i, have better brakes, better cooling, more power, better handing etc. The G80, however, will have XDrive so it will be interesting to see if people are can still use the lack of AWD as an excuse to not get an M3/4. Again, price will be the issue.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 05:10 PM   #102
drew_larson
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 328d Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_340i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew_larson View Post
Had the same questions and came to 57k. For no sirius because msport??
Really confusing on the configurator since it isn't mentioned anywhere but checking the order guide it lists Sirius with 1 year as part of the M sport package.
I see, funny how sirius comes with msport package.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 06:17 PM   #103
praxis218
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How valid is that point if most enthusiasts get aftermarket suspension on their 340i which are either just as or more harsh than the stock M3/4 suspension? Throttle response in comfort mode is equally manageable and pleasant in the M3/4 as it is in the 340i. I commuted with both cars and I didn't find the M3/4 to be any less pleasant or more harsh for a 40 mile commute.

Lets be realistic, it's about price. If the M3/4 were the same price as a 340i, most likely you would choose the M3/4. However, at it is priced now, most who chose a 340i are doing so because the premium is not worth the added performance the M3/4 offers. Rest assured, the relationship in inversely proportional to disposable income. As disposable income goes up, the overall instances of choosing a 340i due to cost goes down. Sure we can "afford" more expensive cars, it just becomes "not worth it" because worth is relative.

Sure it is. Expense is not dictated by the MSRP alone. Selling price vs depreciation is a better indication. The trade-off of performance and a less desirable lease depreciation for the M2 vs the M3/4 makes it hard to justify an M2 unless you really want the size and dynamics of that car. A new 340i or 2018 outgoing M3 can currently be discounted by about $10k. Not so with the M2.

Compared to a similar condition used 340i, it is still more expensive. Then you have to consider maintenance.

This is a huge plus for the M340i and remedies one of the disadvantages that the F30 340i has against the M3/4. However, the M3/4 will always be lighter than the 340i, have better brakes, better cooling, more power, better handing etc. The G80, however, will have XDrive so it will be interesting to see if people are can still use the lack of AWD as an excuse to not get an M3/4. Again, price will be the issue.
I think what rubbed me the wrong way was your original assertion that the M340i is for people who can't "afford" a M car. The monthly lease difference between a M3 and my car would just require me to work an extra 3 hours per month. But I'd rather stick that money into mutual funds. So yes I like your second post better -- the M car doesn't provide me with any extra utility for it to be worthwhile. It caters to a certain segment. And again, a $10-15k price difference doesn't really mean much. I'm debating an outgoing M4 or M340i when my lease is up because the G80 won't be released.

The point about people picking the more premium auto if they were all magically priced the same doesn't need to be said.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 06:57 PM   #104
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
I think what rubbed me the wrong way was your original assertion that the M340i is for people who can't "afford" a M car.
This assertion doesn't belong to me. Generally speaking, this is actually what the car manufacturers consider when they develop and market their vehicles. The 320i is for those who can't "afford" or are unwilling to spend more on a 330i. The 330 is for those who can't "afford" or are unwilling to spend more on a a M340i.

Quote:
The monthly lease difference between a M3 and my car would just require me to work an extra 3 hours per month. But I'd rather stick that money into mutual funds.
In all honesty, it's still about price. If you got a raise that allowed you to get the M3 and still put the same amount or a little more into mutual funds, you might get the M3 instead. Presently, it's just not a financial decision you are willing to make because of the price. The mistake is thinking that there is any shame whatsoever in making a good financial decision.

Quote:
So yes I like your second post better -- the M car doesn't provide me with any extra utility for it to be worthwhile. It caters to a certain segment.
Exactly.

Quote:
And again, a $10-15k price difference doesn't really mean much. I'm debating an outgoing M4 or M340i when my lease is up because the G80 won't be released.
It might not to you because you make enough to not make a difference. But if someone was making 20% less than you, that extra few bucks a month on the payment might be a dealbreaker. They can't justify it given their financial position.

Quote:
The point about people picking the more premium auto if they were all magically priced the same doesn't need to be said.
It was to prove the point. I read and hear a lot of people who claim they don't want an M3/4 because of the harshness of the ride etc. They don't need the power etc... they don't need the power because they are not in the financial position to warrant the increase in price. To be clear, I would get a Ferrari 488 if it were only $90k. It's the better car than the M3 for what I want it to do. Price is the main factor for not getting a Ferrari because, while I can afford the $4000 monthly, it's just not worth it because I'm not a millionaire and it is too big a chuck of my income to be considered a smart financial decision.

Last edited by jmg; 01-10-2019 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 07:08 PM   #105
praxis218
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
If you got a raise that allowed you to get the M3 and still put the same amount or a little more into mutual funds, you might get the M3 instead.
Nope. Got a $50k raise this year. Still driving my 340i and living in the same high rise. All of it is going into mutual funds.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 07:16 PM   #106
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Nope. Got a $50k raise this year. Still driving my 340i and living in the same high rise. All of it is going into mutual funds.
$100k raise and you might.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 07:40 PM   #107
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Nicely equipped M340 x drive, about $50k less than a M5. I can't wait 😊
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 09:16 PM   #108
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
So this is really confusing. ZMP (M sport) actually does not contain ZCV (Convenience) in itself, but rather all of the same options that ZCV contains, except, ZN1 (Active Blind Spot Detection). Unless this is an ordering guide typo/error.

1.) They should have just broken out ZMP and ZCV so folks could get just true ZMP items without paying for ZCV (and avoiding confusion).
2.) The only way to get ZN1 is by getting ZCV or ZDA. You can't get ZCV or ZDA with ZMP. It would appear you can't get ZN1 on a ZMP car then. The configurator is actually matching the ordering guide in this sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 11:31 PM   #109
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauleebe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
So this is really confusing. ZMP (M sport) actually does not contain ZCV (Convenience) in itself, but rather all of the same options that ZCV contains, except, ZN1 (Active Blind Spot Detection). Unless this is an ordering guide typo/error.

1.) They should have just broken out ZMP and ZCV so folks could get just true ZMP items without paying for ZCV (and avoiding confusion).
2.) The only way to get ZN1 is by getting ZCV or ZDA. You can't get ZCV or ZDA with ZMP. It would appear you can't get ZN1 on a ZMP car then. The configurator is actually matching the ordering guide in this sense.
I called this out as well in different posts. I have to believe is that this is either a typo or there are different levels of blind spot detection. For example following the order guide to the letter you actually can't get ZN1 active blind spot detection with the driver assistance pro package. However the idea the highest level package wouldn't have blind spot detection doesn't make sense either.

One thought I had was that blind spot sensors are part of the basic "active driving assistant" and the ZN1 adds the ability for the car to correct for you. When you go to the pro package it adds the car correcting for you anyway so the additional feature is redundant.

Another thought is that the order guide has some errors.

The most unlikely possibility is that blind spot detection is not compatible with msport that would be a real boneheaded mistake for bmw

I feel like with every new bmw launch there is always one or two features that have some kind of weird order guide logic and we don't end up finding out the truth till cars are sitting on lots
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 12:03 AM   #110
RichardH92
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30

Digital dash

So when the g20 was announced they said M sport had the digital dash only but it seems to me as if once you add premium package it switches to it . I’m basing this off watching the pictures when i customized it .. anybody noticed that also?
Appreciate 0