Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals G20 3 Series vs G30 5 Series side by side

02-09-2019, 02:50 AM   #45
KTN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yeah.

First of all, props to OP for the content he's been posting.

On the other hand, ITT:
- highly original Lexus comments that were old last year
- people saying design lines are missing based off of 750×562 pictures of a dusty light silver car
- people still convincing themselves in an open forum the car they own is naturally better

calicolorado at least admits it's beating a dead horse. It's just getting near a level of boring where there's no point looking into threads because it's the same posts everywhere.

If someone cares enough and has enough time, please go around and archive these posts for reference to see how many of these people will be warming their butts in G20s once the hate hype dies down and they've actually had hands-on experiences with the car. Then the G20 will be the better car again, when the new one comes out, and the self-confirming circle continues.
Appreciate 12
hans007604.50
Hedoniste3770.50
HR9970.00
rjd_F301997.00
Vervain396.50
sahajesh2290.00
stein_325i25051.00
jwong77319.00
TWD177574.50
      02-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #46
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

I say beat the dead horse until Adrian hears it. BMW looks ugly and doesn't have traditional elements anymore.

Bangles last Z4 still had some 507.

The New Line is all NEW
Appreciate 2
otay826.00
JTO245246.50
      02-09-2019, 09:09 AM   #47
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTN View Post

On the other hand, ITT:
- people saying design lines are missing based off of 750×562 pictures of a dusty light silver car
- people still convincing themselves in an open forum the car they own is naturally better

calicolorado at least admits it's beating a dead horse. It's just getting near a level of boring where there's no point looking into threads because it's the same posts everywhere.

If someone cares enough and has enough time, please go around and archive these posts for reference to see how many of these people will be warming their butts in G20s once the hate hype dies down and they've actually had hands-on experiences with the car. Then the G20 will be the better car again, when the new one comes out, and the self-confirming circle continues.
Got to agree, the lexus comments are getting real old, real fast.
KTN308.00
      02-09-2019, 10:51 AM   #48
Fugly M3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowanBuds View Post
I dunno, I defy you to tell me that this isn't a Kia or a Toyota or something low rent like that.

There's nothing purposeful about anything going on here at all.

I'm right there with you. On a side note, why have I not yet seen your ED website?! Just starting to read now...loving it! LeMans blue...love it!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 11:37 AM   #49
YearOneOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 135i mineral grey

here you see we have 2 Lexus sedans
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 11:45 AM   #50
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

Ugly.

The design doesn’t inspire anything, more like a trip to Porsche

Everyone talks about the tail lights but for me they’ve moved so far away from bmws heritage on headlights it just doesn’t look like a Bmw. Remove the badges and it’s unrecongizble
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 12:31 PM   #51
Cobra86
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis218 View Post
The T shaped contraptions remind me too much of the Accord Coupe. Can't unsee this now.
Honda stole it from BMW 5 series 2005 !
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 01:19 PM   #52
wooljam
Registered
England
Rep
Drives: F31 Estoril Blue

BMW must be busy sketching out the first face lift and not one G20 has been delivered to a customer
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2019, 01:22 PM   #53
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

On the other hand, ITT:

I am kind of tired of these posts too. These posts actually are the ones that are beating a dead horse. Almost EVERYONE in here is a BMW fan. A BMW lover takes his time to express in here his/her opinion, and that includes good or bad. That's actually what a true fan does.

On the other hand,
- Lexus comments are an ascertainment. The extremely numerous comments in regards with Lexus are true, like it or not. Nothing to do with originality. They look like that and that is a fact! Yeah BMW lacks originality in this case.
- Lines are where they are and pictures are just fine. maybe you have a vision problem or your monitor is old. Everything is very visible. This is another poor excuse.
- People don not "convincing themselves" that what they own is "naturally better". First of all, nobody said that what they own is better. Everybody said that what they own has more BMW design DNA than the new vehicle. That's how is better. The new vehicle dumped many specific characteristic that used to defined BMW lines.
You might understand what you want or whatever perception tells you, yet, that doesn't mean you perceived other comments properly.

Not the least, BMW latest design language was never praised or received with ovations , It is literally generic and reached the "ordinary" and "blend in" level. Please read all the impressions and you will see that everybody agrees that BMW design is literally dull.
Except the new 8 and M2, nothing speaks of a specific, particular BMW design language anymore.
The front fascia, the ugly bumper angles and lines, the ugly uncalled for triangles of plastic in front and rear bumpers, the edges described by the new ugly lines on the bumpers, the enormous TASTELESS front kidney grill, the cheap headlamp to grill connection, the Lexus -UNORIGINAL- tail lights, the terrible side lines that won't flow anymore, the lack of perfect defined Hofemeister's Kink that is not a stupid plastic boomerang glued on the corner of the door, all are elements that confirms that the direction is just far from what a BMW should be.

On the other hand, it is very sad when a fan hopes that the design will probably "grow on me".
If I will be the designer of this car, or the one responsible in bringing a new product on the market, and I would read such statements, I will admit that I have failed miserably.
A new machine should be exciting, should be ferocious but elegant in the same time, should inspire and makes you think that it moves even when it stays parked in front of the house.
The new design is not just boring and uninspired, it is actually behind manufacturers that wish to have the design elements and the history BMW does. Yet, BMW trashed everything for an ordinary design.

I am in the position where I need to buy a car. Except the 8 and 2, and the 5 (with some packages), there is no vehicle in BMW lineup that makes me excited. They are punishing us with hood lines and glued headlamps, and lines and grills that are just stupidly kitschy.
Yeah, my previous ones where better, and the ones I own are still better. Naturally! Fair enough?

I would like to buy a new BMW because I am a fan. Yet, with every new model my disappointment grows exponentially.
I might end up with a new BMW and that is just because I need a new car, but not because I am necessary in love with it. And many are in my position, including the ones that will "warm their butts in a G20".
I might look at the new M3 if will have a different grill, bumpers, etc and looks appealing. Otherwise, no.

Yet, I already start to look at Audi. The new S5 is much more beautiful. A hard pill to swallow but I must admit it.

Only a blind man will say that this bottom picture is beautiful, stunning or revolutionary. Just look at it. BTW, this one is not dusty...
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
ashkgerd2118.50
JTO245246.50
      02-09-2019, 01:22 PM   #54
Nomana
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

That front fender flare!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 01:22 PM   #55
jporendain
Mexico
Rep
Drives: M135i

They are ruinning Hoffmeister Kink 😭
Appreciate 3
Nomana1465.00
wdeerfield2743.50
JTO245246.50
      02-09-2019, 01:32 PM   #56
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
The non M-Sport bumper is just weird looking. M-Sport is a big improvement.
They did that so people will pay the ridiculous $5k markup for msport on the 330. It has a very Toyota Camry lower it's not even funny. And the rear taillights are Lexus all the way. Those stupid triangle cutouts are pointless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jporendain View Post
They are ruinning Hoffmeister Kink 😭
It'll soon be referred to as the Hyundai kink
JTO245246.50
      02-09-2019, 01:49 PM   #57
CRtoE92
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Melbourne red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedoniste View Post
Cant wait for the G8x!
Same here
Only interested in ///M
You mean M sport or M? There is a huge difference
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 01:54 PM   #58
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

G30 = 5/10

G20 = 0/10

Looks like a Honda parked in a BMW lot.
      02-09-2019, 01:56 PM   #59
KTN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
I am kind of tired of these posts too. These posts actually are the ones that are beating a dead horse. Almost EVERYONE in here is a BMW fan. A BMW lover takes his time to express in here his/her opinion, and that includes good or bad. That's actually what a true fan does.

On the other hand,
- Lexus comments are an ascertainment. The extremely numerous comments in regards with Lexus are true, like it or not. Nothing to do with originality. They look like that and that is a fact! Yeah BMW lacks originality in this case.
- Lines are where they are and pictures are just fine. maybe you have a vision problem or your monitor is old. Everything is very visible. This is another poor excuse.
- People don not "convincing themselves" that what they own is "naturally better". First of all, nobody said that what they own is better. Everybody said that what they own has more BMW design DNA than the new vehicle. That's how is better. The new vehicle dumped many specific characteristic that used to defined BMW lines.
You might understand what you want or whatever perception tells you, yet, that doesn't mean you perceived other comments properly.

Not the least, BMW latest design language was never praised or received with ovations , It is literally generic and reached the "ordinary" and "blend in" level. Please read all the impressions and you will see that everybody agrees that BMW design is literally dull.
Except the new 8 and M2, nothing speaks of a specific, particular BMW design language anymore.
The front fascia, the ugly bumper angles and lines, the ugly uncalled for triangles of plastic in front and rear bumpers, the edges described by the new ugly lines on the bumpers, the enormous TASTELESS front kidney grill, the cheap headlamp to grill connection, the Lexus -UNORIGINAL- tail lights, the terrible side lines that won't flow anymore, the lack of perfect defined Hofemeister's Kink that is not a stupid plastic boomerang glued on the corner of the door, all are elements that confirms that the direction is just far from what a BMW should be.

On the other hand, it is very sad when a fan hopes that the design will probably "grow on me".
If I will be the designer of this car, or the one responsible in bringing a new product on the market, and I would read such statements, I will admit that I have failed miserably.
A new machine should be exciting, should be ferocious but elegant in the same time, should inspire and makes you think that it moves even when it stays parked in front of the house.
The new design is not just boring and uninspired, it is actually behind manufacturers that wish to have the design elements and the history BMW does. Yet, BMW trashed everything for an ordinary design.

I am in the position where I need to buy a car. Except the 8 and 2, and the 5 (with some packages), there is no vehicle in BMW lineup that makes me excited. They are punishing us with hood lines and glued headlamps, and lines and grills that are just stupidly kitschy.
Yeah, my previous ones where better, and the ones I own are still better. Naturally! Fair enough?

I would like to buy a new BMW because I am a fan. Yet, with every new model my disappointment grows exponentially.
I might end up with a new BMW and that is just because I need a new car, but not because I am necessary in love with it. And many are in my position, including the ones that will "warm their butts in a G20".
I might look at the new M3 if will have a different grill, bumpers, etc and looks appealing. Otherwise, no.

Yet, I already start to look at Audi. The new S5 is much more beautiful. A hard pill to swallow but I must admit it.

Only a blind man will say that this bottom picture is beautiful, stunning or revolutionary. Just look at it. BTW, this one is not dusty...
I'm the one not getting a point here, yet you claim to speak for the people of this whole planet?
Lines being very visible is a poor excuse for me pointing out that someone doesn't see them?

People are not convincing themselves? Please let me know what to call making sure to point out in multiple comments how their current car is better than the upcoming model anyway, while most of these people still haven't even seen said car in person.

Pretty bold stating that someone's opinion on any part of this car (or anything for that matter) is a "FACT".

You're not the first person pointing out how we're all fans of BMW here. What I see is people being a fan of themselves and their ego too much and thinking what they like, or what they're used to, is the one and only truth and if BMW tries anything "new" they get all upset.

You're voicing negative opinions (I'm sorry, still not facts) you formed largely based off of pictures, and basically say BMW has lost its way, and might as well just go bankrupt because near all new models suck without even giving them a fair chance. (which whole phenomenon seems to repeat every time a new model is out, and yet here we and BMW still are)

You're welcome to dislike BMW, you're welcome to like Audi, you're welcome to think BMW should conform to what you say their cars should look like. You're welcome to come in here 20 years later and write yet another comment how it looks like a Lexus to you.

That doesn't mean I cannot point out how dull these "opinions" are getting. Posting "lul lexus haha", "this sux" is not really an informed or serious opinion in my book.

A true fan of anything will appreciate the effort and give the benefit of the doubt to a brand trying to improve their products, give them a fair chance, try them out, and then form an informed opinion. Then that opinion can be negative, positive, or in between. Nothing wrong or unusual with that.

Notice how I haven't said anywhere in my posts you have to like the design, or that it is the masterpiece of the century. Interestingly enough, it's not me here trying to flood others with my "opinions" and convincing them I'm right. All I'm saying is that reading the same self-confirming mantra again and again is boring. And I stand by that.

I'm curious how many of you true fans have actually taken to letting BMW itself know what you think they should improve. Now of course hating on a couple pictures in an online forum is not equivalent.

Last edited by KTN; 02-09-2019 at 04:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 01:56 PM   #60
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtoE92 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedoniste View Post
Cant wait for the G8x!
Same here
Only interested in ///M
You mean M sport or M? There is a huge difference
Lol
I only buy M cars not m sport
      02-09-2019, 02:10 PM   #61
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
On the floor
Attached Images

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 2
Hedoniste3770.50
Vervain396.50
      02-09-2019, 02:30 PM   #62
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

The M Sport trim in the above pics looks a million times better than the standard trim on the new 3, whatever they call it these days, as it always does, of course
The new 3 doesn't look as good as the current 5, IMO - or the current 4, for that matter. Let's hope it drives better
      02-09-2019, 02:34 PM   #63
hoyasaxa
Captain
Rep
Drives: GTI | 982 4.0

I'm sorry. I don't mean to be an asshole and I know some people are buying new cars this year and are excited for both of these. That said, they both look like shit.

The grills are massive and ugly on both. The tails on both are indistinguishable from a Lexus.

The headlights no longer are distinctively BMW.

And that's setting aside all the drivetrain issues of the 3er (no more DCT, AWD M, etc.)

An era has ended.
      02-09-2019, 02:37 PM   #64
Cobra86
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post

On the other hand,

Are you a car designer ?! if not then your opinion is like a cow's opinion.

I heard the same hates when i ordered the first 2 series ! now, its very popular.

BMW is all about the driving experience ! that's why people LIKE BMW and no one like the beautiful Asian cars !

Lets wait and test the car !
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 02:57 PM   #65
KTN
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyasaxa View Post
I'm sorry. I don't mean to be an asshole and I know some people are buying new cars this year and are excited for both of these. That said, they both look like shit.

The grills are massive and ugly on both. The tails on both are indistinguishable from a Lexus.

The headlights no longer are distinctively BMW.

And that's setting aside all the drivetrain issues of the 3er (no more DCT, AWD M, etc.)

An era has ended.
What do you consider distinctively BMW?

Are the BMW 2002's headlights distinctively BMW? Because then we've been a long way from that for quite some time.

Are the pre-facelift F30 headlights distinctively BMW? Because going from those to LCI headlights, and going from LCI headlights to G20 lasers is not that much larger size of a change in design imo.

Everybody has their tastes, but what's distinctively BMW is defined by BMW in their latest product line-up like it always has been. Change can be hard to warm up to and some maybe won't ever take to liking it, but you have to accept time moves on and products have to keep up or they won't remain competitive. If BMW still sold the same car it did 20 years ago, it probably wouldn't exist. If they somehow magically created a car suited to everyone's tastes, which is impossible, then we'd all be driving the same car. Exiting times that would be...

If you don't like a certain era of design, you're free not to choose a car from that line-up, and stay with older models within the brand, or look around if you can find something elsewhere until the new redesign inevitably comes around down the line.

Also the new M3 will be available as a RWD model, as well as having M xDrive switchable to full RWD mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 03:28 PM   #66
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Quote:

On the other hand, ITT:

Gotta remember, not everyone frequents the 3 forums as often as you. Their initial reaction is likely that some parts look like a Lexus, so they voice those opinions. Maybe you've heard it so often now it is old - just imagine how you'll feel after you buy one and a guy at the gas station tells you, "nice Lexus."

The real point is, a BMW shouldn't resemble a Lexus...change that, and we can all stop reading posts about it!

P.S. The new one, despite having some Lexus design elements, will absolutely be "better" than the old one.
Appreciate 2
KTN308.00
hoyasaxa685.00