Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Watches Rolex / AP Dilemma

02-06-2021, 12:14 PM   #1
hl0m4n
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Arrow Rolex / AP Dilemma

first, let me start off by saying this is not a rolex vs ap thread .

i am itching for a new watch this year and decided on a 44mm roo. this would be my first watch into the brand and am excited on the hunt.
after watching countless youtube videos and having a dssd as my daily, i see myself pulling off the 44mm. the pushers and non numeric dial won me over on 26400IO.OO.A004CA.01

the ap roo was always i watch i wanted to have in my collection. i honestly don't see myself being able to get a ss white daytona at retail from ad anytime soon and with grey prices now at $30k, i can not justify paying that much over retail.
for the price of grey ss daytona, i am bouncing between spending the $30k on a wg daytona on oyster (second favorite watch and dial) or getting the ap roo.

1. the msrp is $36,200 however, i am seeing brand new ones on c24 listed at $28-29,000. with warranty dates from 2017 and 2018. is depreciation on this particular watch normal?

2. what would you offer for a watch that is local on c24 and you can go in store to pick up?
say c24 listed at $28k - $2,100 (7.5% c24 fee) - $2,000 mark up = $23,900

i have a hard stop limit at $24k - anything above $24k im at a tug of war of spending the extra $5k and getting the wg daytona.... decisions decisions

3. any particular model years to avoid or any particular years with any updates to look out for?

4. i am assuming warranty is like rolex, following the watch not the owner?

thanks for the help guys and all feedback is much appreciated .

Last edited by hl0m4n; 02-06-2021 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2021, 08:19 AM   #2
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

1 - the ROOs arent as highly sought after as the SS RO or SS rolex so they do have some depreciation from MSRP. Brand New with 2017 warranty date isnt brand new either. a 2017 date is out of warranty or close to it. They have a 2yr standard warranty and you can extend it another 3 years within 2 years of ownership.

2 - watchrecon has a couple that have sold in the last couple months used for $24k ish. Start there and see how negotiable they will be

3 - no idea but just based on a quick google, doesnt look like the movement has changed in some time.

4 - follows the watch in most cases.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1
      02-09-2021, 01:31 PM   #3
porshah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4, R8, Huracan - All topdown

Garage List
I think this should answer your question...

"the ap roo was always i watch i wanted to have in my collection."

Even if you end up with a Rolex, you will still want the AP. If you currently have the DSSD, the Daytona will feel kind of small. AP ROO will give you the same presence on the wrist as your DSSD.

As you said, it's not Rolex vs AP. They are both great brands, but prices of some of the SS models are insane.

I currently have 3 Rolex's and I have been offered stupid amount of money for the Hulk and Daytona, but I will not sell them. The Datejust was my first "nice" watch I bought about 20 years ago, and the Daytona I bought with my Son on a trip we were on together, and I got it with his name on the warranty card. Hulk is just cool, and no longer available. (I have Kermit coming in very soon).

I also have AP ROO Safari, and AP RO 15400.

As for reliability, and warranty. Rolex is definitely built like a tank. I have only had the DJ serviced once in the entire time I have owned it. Hulk and Daytona have been trouble free. I had an AP Diver (earlier models), which had to go in for service within the first month I bought it, but Safari and 15400 have had zero issues.

Good luck with your search.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
CDirks135.00
BXdriver159.00
      02-28-2021, 05:13 AM   #4
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

I will just say it, the Daytona is way too hyped and the alternatives are way too good to be paying above retail. Don't fall for that trap and get the AP that you really want.

Find a local grey where you can see and handle the watch you want, or buy from a reputable grey instead of C24 IMO.
      04-02-2021, 07:41 AM   #5
Burnsey
Just A Regular Guy
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Competition X-Drive

Garage List
It really is down to personal opinion and taste in the end.

I have had all the sports Rolex models and only one AP - the ROO diver - which was much later. I've had the diver and Sky-Dweller both for a couple of years plus, which ended up my regular rotation, with smaller (Sub/Hulk/Daytona etc) in the safe.

Once I bought the AP I was genuinely smitten and added a bracelet and croc straps to make it three watches in one.

I even displayed the 'fight' on my night stand!

AP ROO Diver can be a one watch solution and the way I went...
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
porshah197.00
BXdriver159.00
      06-20-2021, 09:58 AM   #6
barryc365
Major
Rep
Drives: BMWM3

Two very different styles.

That's a big RO. You'd need a big wrist to pull it off I'd think so maybe try one on?

The Daytona is the one that got away for me. I was offered one brand new for $12k a few years ago and at the time it was a lot of money for me so I went with a submariner for $8k. Silly mistake in hindsight.

I've since gone on to by a RO chrono which is unbelievable. Stunning watch IMO

I would honestly pay up for the watch you actually want the most. The difference between $25k and $30k will be forgotten about not long after when your enjoying the watch.

I can't recall what I paid for my RO and that was only a year ago for example. It's was either $31k or $34k. Just get the one you want the most assuming you're financially comfortable with it
Appreciate 0