Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum Okay to leave new car at showroom?

09-13-2021, 02:36 PM   #1
popthehood
Rep
Drives: Kia Forte

Okay to leave new car at showroom?

I'm in a bit of a predicament since my new M340i xDrive (order placed around 1st week of Aug) has already arrived at the showroom, but I will be away for a month starting soon.

I'm really inclined to pushing taking delivery of the car to a month later since I would save on payments and not have to worry about letting it stay at home.

But given the car shortage, I'm concerned that if I do take this option, worried that the dealership might use my car for test drives or probably just sitting out there on the lot could make it prone to dents/scratches.

This is my first car and I'm really trying to balance $$ vs ensuring car is pristine. Am I unnecessarily apprehensive? Is it it okay to let the car be on the lot for a month? I have a week before I leave so worst case I can still take the delivery of the car pretty soon.

:
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 03:17 PM   #2
bap340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340I

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivad6 View Post
I'm in a bit of a predicament since my new M340i xDrive (order placed around 1st week of Aug) has already arrived at the showroom, but I will be away for a month starting soon.

I'm really inclined to pushing taking delivery of the car to a month later since I would save on payments and not have to worry about letting it stay at home.

But given the car shortage, I'm concerned that if I do take this option, worried that the dealership might use my car for test drives or probably just sitting out there on the lot could make it prone to dents/scratches.

This is my first car and I'm really trying to balance $$ vs ensuring car is pristine. Am I unnecessarily apprehensive? Is it it okay to let the car be on the lot for a month? I have a week before I leave so worst case I can still take the delivery of the car pretty soon.

:
It isn't your car until you pay for it. Personally I would take delivery. I have done two European Deliveries, paid for the car, drove it for two weeks in Europe and then waited almost 6 weeks to have it re-delivered. A dealer has every incentive to sell a car on their floor plan and little incentive to store it for you for a month.
Appreciate 1
      09-13-2021, 03:48 PM   #3
jlapicki
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap340i View Post
Quote:

:
It isn't your car until you pay for it. Personally I would take delivery. I have done two European Deliveries, paid for the car, drove it for two weeks in Europe and then waited almost 6 weeks to have it re-delivered. A dealer has every incentive to sell a car on their floor plan and little incentive to store it for you for a month.
Get it now.....they will sell to someone else unless you have a huge deposit....
2017 M2 - Alpine White / Black - SOLD
2001 e39 M5 - Titanium / Caramel - A "Keeper"
Appreciate 1
themnmd1691.00
      09-13-2021, 03:51 PM   #4
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Time to go get your car and post some pics
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 03:55 PM   #5
jlapicki
Captain
United_States
Rep

How is this even possible to get a car in 6 weeks with people waiting months and months?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 04:07 PM   #6
Wht340i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlapicki View Post
How is this even possible to get a car in 6 weeks with people waiting months and months?
For some reason it can happen. My car was about a week before that and got to the dealership today. Will be picking it up in a few hours.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 06:19 PM   #7
popthehood
Rep
Drives: Kia Forte

Quote:
I have no idea. Initial estimates from SA was late Oct/early Nov, but it's 6 weeks early because they seemed to have got an allocation with early production week. All said, I'm happy that the waiting game is coming to an end sooner than expected.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 07:43 PM   #8
jlapicki
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have no idea. Initial estimates from SA was late Oct/early Nov, but it's 6 weeks early because they seemed to have got an allocation with early production week. All said, I'm happy that the waiting game is coming to an end sooner than expected.
Good for you......you will enjoy this car immensely!!
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 08:20 PM   #9
BklynNYBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "24 X6M60i / "21 m340i xdrive

Hi there. I guess it depends on the dealer. My dealer kept my car in storage for 6 weeks. I order the car in January and the car showed up in March. It showed up quicker than either of us thought it would. He kept it in storage until April 30th when I picked it up. I wanted to run the lease out on the previous car. It wasn't even and issue when I told him that is what I was going to do. He says they do it fairly often for their customers especially repeat ones and special order cars. But I also got it from the corporate store so maybe they operate a little differently.
__________________________________________________ __________________________
2017 X6 5.0 MSport, Carbon Black Metallic w/ black leather. All options except vented seats and B/O sound system. AKA the Tumbler
2021 M340i xdrive. Tanzanite Blue with W/Oyster with Red Calipers. All options except Adaptive M suspension, Driver Assistance Professional Package, Cooling and High Performance Tire package. AKA Blue Angel
*Retired 04/30/21: 2018 340i MSport Xdrive sedan. Glacier Silver w/Oyster. All options except active cruise control and window shades. AKA Airstream
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2021, 11:57 AM   #10
Wht340i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynNYBMW View Post
Hi there. I guess it depends on the dealer. My dealer kept my car in storage for 6 weeks. I order the car in January and the car showed up in March. It showed up quicker than either of us thought it would. He kept it in storage until April 30th when I picked it up. I wanted to run the lease out on the previous car. It wasn't even and issue when I told him that is what I was going to do. He says they do it fairly often for their customers especially repeat ones and special order cars. But I also got it from the corporate store so maybe they operate a little differently.
__________________________________________________ __________________________
2017 X6 5.0 MSport, Carbon Black Metallic w/ black leather. All options except vented seats and B/O sound system. AKA the Tumbler
2021 M340i xdrive. Tanzanite Blue with W/Oyster with Red Calipers. All options except Adaptive M suspension, Driver Assistance Professional Package, Cooling and High Performance Tire package. AKA Blue Angel
*Retired 04/30/21: 2018 340i MSport Xdrive sedan. Glacier Silver w/Oyster. All options except active cruise control and window shades. AKA Airstream
Also times are different now with very low inventory so don’t that the chance. Take it home if you’re not ok waiting if they sell it.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2021, 10:04 PM   #11
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

THE lesson of this pandemic era is to not hesitate; and a bird in hand is worth two in the bush.
Pick. Up. The. Damn. Car.
Appreciate 0