Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications How to check if DME is locked

09-28-2021, 07:33 AM   #1
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

How to check if DME is locked

I made a quick video to explain the DME lock situation and how you can check if your DME is locked. Hope this helps

Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 3
      09-28-2021, 11:43 AM   #2
kuzdu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M240i

Saw your Video, i actually always watch them on youtube. the Fuel pump reversal connector was awesome, saved me time in cutting the wires. can't wait for these DME's to be unlocked.
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      09-28-2021, 10:11 PM   #3
Lonmon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i x

Your videos are very helpful, thanks for all you do to help the community. I wish there was more info on the tuning strategies of this platform. Understanding how the dme uses maf, map, etc. signals to determine boost and throttle percentage would help in determining issues in our logs. How the dme determines requested load vs actual load is also another topic of interest. (At least for me, Lol)
H&R Springs
MHD Stage 2 E40
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      09-29-2021, 08:11 AM   #4
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonmon View Post
Your videos are very helpful, thanks for all you do to help the community. I wish there was more info on the tuning strategies of this platform. Understanding how the dme uses maf, map, etc. signals to determine boost and throttle percentage would help in determining issues in our logs. How the dme determines requested load vs actual load is also another topic of interest. (At least for me, Lol)
Honestly, the problem is:

1. It's so complex that even I don't understand ALL of the intricacies
2. There are a lot of dependencies that tuners can modify, but you can't see in logs
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 08:21 AM   #5
Lonmon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i x

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Honestly, the problem is:

1. It's so complex that even I don't understand ALL of the intricacies
2. There are a lot of dependencies that tuners can modify, but you can't see in logs
Yeah, I wish someone who really understands it could take the time to give a detailed explanation so we really know what is going on. I believe a lot of tuners don't even understand it fully which probably leads to a lot of sketchy tunes. So far in my investigation, this info from Cobb seems to be the most explanation I've found so far. This is for the N55 platform, but I believe it is the same for the B58.

"MAP Based – The N55 primarily uses a MAP based airflow system, this is also known as Speed Density. Unlike the N54, the N55 is also equipped with a MAF sensor that is utilized in parts of the DME logic, mostly for WGDC/Boost control. The BMW N55 utilizes manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensors located pre and post throttle body to measure the mass of air entering the engine. Filter configuration does not necessarily require tuning but heavily contaminated air filters of both OEM and aftermarket construction were found to reduce power output at moderate to high engine speeds. Frequent air filter cleaning and/or replacement is recommended for best performance and engine protection."

"Throttle Closures – The primary method of controlling boost on this car is done with the assistance of the drive-by-wire throttle system. The factory tune allows the throttle to close to less than 20% (of the ~100% max) which can result in consistent torque delivery, but reduced performance. There are two main offenders that will result in throttle closures: overshoots of load and boost. Major throttle closures can result in turbulent airflow entering the cylinders causing timing corrections. It is imperative when analyzing logs to assure no throttle closures are present during a timing correction event as these could create a false positive. We recommend adjusting these limits higher to take full control of the throttle and keep closures to a minimum. See our OTS maps for effective examples."
H&R Springs
MHD Stage 2 E40
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2021, 03:27 PM   #6
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonmon View Post
Yeah, I wish someone who really understands it could take the time to give a detailed explanation so we really know what is going on. I believe a lot of tuners don't even understand it fully which probably leads to a lot of sketchy tunes. So far in my investigation, this info from Cobb seems to be the most explanation I've found so far. This is for the N55 platform, but I believe it is the same for the B58.

"MAP Based – The N55 primarily uses a MAP based airflow system, this is also known as Speed Density. Unlike the N54, the N55 is also equipped with a MAF sensor that is utilized in parts of the DME logic, mostly for WGDC/Boost control. The BMW N55 utilizes manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensors located pre and post throttle body to measure the mass of air entering the engine. Filter configuration does not necessarily require tuning but heavily contaminated air filters of both OEM and aftermarket construction were found to reduce power output at moderate to high engine speeds. Frequent air filter cleaning and/or replacement is recommended for best performance and engine protection."

"Throttle Closures – The primary method of controlling boost on this car is done with the assistance of the drive-by-wire throttle system. The factory tune allows the throttle to close to less than 20% (of the ~100% max) which can result in consistent torque delivery, but reduced performance. There are two main offenders that will result in throttle closures: overshoots of load and boost. Major throttle closures can result in turbulent airflow entering the cylinders causing timing corrections. It is imperative when analyzing logs to assure no throttle closures are present during a timing correction event as these could create a false positive. We recommend adjusting these limits higher to take full control of the throttle and keep closures to a minimum. See our OTS maps for effective examples."
A lot of that is true and it's supposed to make the car perform consistently regardless of environmental conditions. I have seen timing drop and boost go up as IATs increase, but there are also a lot of other factors that affect how a car adjusts boost, fueling, etc above and below the base targets. That's where the logic gets fuzzy for me. I understand the principles, but, no matter what, the car is doing more than you can monitor in the background to keep everything happy.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 05:57 PM   #7
jakel1995
Registered
Rep
Drives: M240i

[QUOTE=kern417;28082825]I made a quick video to explain the DME lock situation and how you can check if your DME is locked. Hope this helps

[/QUOTE

Maybe the only video on YouTube that explains this thoroughly. We appreciate it trust me.
Appreciate 1
kern4174446.50
      06-28-2023, 07:39 PM   #8
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i X (2020 G20)

Does anyone have any release notes (either public or internal to BMW) from a software update that actually mentions the update will lock the DME (for pre-June 2020 cars)?

I am in need of evidence that BMW actually locks an unlocked DME in this instance.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 03:51 AM   #9
MichaelNRW
B58 Power
Rep
Drives: 05/2022 M340i xDrive Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyam View Post
Does anyone have any release notes (either public or internal to BMW) from a software update that actually mentions the update will lock the DME (for pre-June 2020 cars)?

I am in need of evidence that BMW actually locks an unlocked DME in this instance.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
I know someone with a pre 06/2020 car that got an update to 11/2022 at the dealer.
The DME was locked, but not with the post 06/2020 method.
He went to his local tuner for the unlock and it worked just fine.

So BMW doesn´t update the lock mechanism with updates.
      06-29-2023, 02:38 PM   #10
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep

There are thousands of people that have gotten their DMEs locked doing this. It is documented from all the major tuning platforms. That's also why they recommend disabling OTA updates on G-series cars, because it can do the same thing without even going to the dealer.

For the few people that say they've gotten an update and it didn't lock it, they are in the very small minority.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2023, 07:50 PM   #11
cyam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i X (2020 G20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelNRW View Post
I know someone with a pre 06/2020 car that got an update to 11/2022 at the dealer.
The DME was locked, but not with the post 06/2020 method.
He went to his local tuner for the unlock and it worked just fine.

So BMW doesnt update the lock mechanism with updates.
Ok, I know all this. What I am asking for is evidence from a BMW source whereby BMW have disclosed that the update will lock an unlocked ECU.

That's it, that's my question, does anyone have that documented proof.

We ALL know they are doing this, on pre-June 2020, the DME was unlocked at manufacturing and later software updates lock the DME from tuning. Then we have to pay money for a tuner to get a bench unlock. We all know this. I am being told otherwise - by BMW.

I can't really go into the reason I am asking on here.

So if anyone has some release notes or documentation from BMW - either publicly available or internal that clearly states they are doing this, I'd love to have it.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2023, 03:47 AM   #12
MichaelNRW
B58 Power
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyam View Post
We all know this. I am being told otherwise - by BMW.

I can't really go into the reason I am asking on here.

So if anyone has some release notes or documentation from BMW - either publicly available or internal that clearly states they are doing this, I'd love to have it.

Thank you.
You wont get this information :-)
Or on the same way you got the other information from BMW.

If you really want to get internal informations, start chatting with some BMW mechanics.
      07-02-2023, 02:51 AM   #13
dawidd3
Rep
Drives: F30 340Xi B58

Hi,

I have a question about the ECU lockout of my G20 M340.

Production 03.2019, but in January 2022 underwent DDE update, I-Lewel S18A-21-11-540

In this case, was the ECU blocked after the software update or not?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2023, 02:55 AM   #14
MichaelNRW
B58 Power
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawidd3 View Post
Hi,

I have a question about the ECU lockout of my G20 M340.

Production 03.2019, but in January 2022 underwent DDE update, I-Lewel S18A-21-11-540

In this case, was the ECU blocked after the software update or not?
BMW doesn´t apply the new security that came with DMEs after 06/2020 to DMEs with a software update.
You should still be able to perform a basic bench unlock by a local tuner.
      07-02-2023, 02:57 AM   #15
dawidd3
Rep
Drives: F30 340Xi B58

Great, thank you very much for the quick reply.
Appreciate 0