Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires Dedicated winter wheels + tires for M440?

08-20-2021, 03:29 PM   #1
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Dedicated winter wheels + tires for M440?

Hi all,

So, previously I've always had SUVs and trucks for the snowboarding trips, but this year I find myself with just my M440 (which, at least, is still AWD).

Given that I've got the summer / performance Pilot Sport 4S on at the moment, I figure if I want to do any Tahoe trips this upcoming season I should get some dedicated winter tires as the owner's manual specifically states not to use chains, nets, socks, etc of any kind (plus, a dedicated set works better than those anyway I think. Could be wrong.)

So.

1. I want some wheels that'll look good, but not break the bank - they're likely going to get beat up pretty good with salt on the roads and dirt / rocks / lots of potholes etc.

2. Note that this will not be dedicated SNOW driving - I live in California, not Sweden. I'm going to be driving from sunny + 70 degree weather up the mountain into snow and 20-30 degree weather, do some snowboarding, and come back down. So no need for studded tires.

3. I'd say 90% of the time I go up, the roads are plowed or previously plowed and only have a thin layer - very rarely (though it did happen several times) do I have to go through chain control where it's dumping, the plows haven't come through or something, and there's a thick layer on the ground where only lifted trucks / SUVs with M/S mountain snowflake rated tires are allowed through.

4. I will likely only log like 2,500-3,000 miles per season on these (it's about 450 miles round trip, and I average 6-8 trips on a good season though I only went up once last year due to covid). So a bit of durability would be nice. They'll be taken off and stored in a garage in the off season.

What're your recommendations to look at for wheels + tires? I had Michelin Defender LTX M/S and the infamous TA KO2s previously, but they don't make those for cars like this (though they performed very well in thick snow). It looks like the Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons are M+S rated, but doesn't have the mountain/snowflake symbol.

Given that the manual says don't use chains, I'd like something that will get me through chain control if they stop me, let alone the overall control.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2021, 03:59 PM   #2
jg4c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
Hi all,

So, previously I've always had SUVs and trucks for the snowboarding trips, but this year I find myself with just my M440 (which, at least, is still AWD).

Given that I've got the summer / performance Pilot Sport 4S on at the moment, I figure if I want to do any Tahoe trips this upcoming season I should get some dedicated winter tires as the owner's manual specifically states not to use chains, nets, socks, etc of any kind (plus, a dedicated set works better than those anyway I think. Could be wrong.)

So.

1. I want some wheels that'll look good, but not break the bank - they're likely going to get beat up pretty good with salt on the roads and dirt / rocks / lots of potholes etc.

2. Note that this will not be dedicated SNOW driving - I live in California, not Sweden. I'm going to be driving from sunny + 70 degree weather up the mountain into snow and 20-30 degree weather, do some snowboarding, and come back down. So no need for studded tires.

3. I'd say 90% of the time I go up, the roads are plowed or previously plowed and only have a thin layer - very rarely (though it did happen several times) do I have to go through chain control where it's dumping, the plows haven't come through or something, and there's a thick layer on the ground where only lifted trucks / SUVs with M/S mountain snowflake rated tires are allowed through.

4. I will likely only log like 2,500-3,000 miles per season on these (it's about 450 miles round trip, and I average 6-8 trips on a good season though I only went up once last year due to covid). So a bit of durability would be nice. They'll be taken off and stored in a garage in the off season.

What're your recommendations to look at for wheels + tires? I had Michelin Defender LTX M/S and the infamous TA KO2s previously, but they don't make those for cars like this (though they performed very well in thick snow). It looks like the Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons are M+S rated, but doesn't have the mountain/snowflake symbol.

Given that the manual says don't use chains, I'd like something that will get me through chain control if they stop me, let alone the overall control.
If there is even the slightest chance of having any measurable snow, do not go with an AS. Up at Tahoe i'd go dedicated winter only for piece of mind. And, I only run UHP AS Michelins, but I don't encounter much snow.

Michelin AS3+ on my quattro audi S4 practically gave me a heart attack last winter in 3 inches of snow, sleet and ice.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 03:08 AM   #3
RKT SHP
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car

I know this thread is a little old, but does anyone else have an opinion on snow wheels and tires
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 01:35 PM   #4
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKT SHP View Post
I know this thread is a little old, but does anyone else have an opinion on snow wheels and tires
Season's not fully here yet, I imagine it might come back around as a popular topic in the next month or two.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 09:22 PM   #5
RKT SHP
United_States
Rep

I get that. But I would hope to people would plan a little ahead. And think these things through before there is snow on the ground. However, i could be and am frequently wrong.

Quote:
Season's not fully here yet, I imagine it might come back around as a popular topic in the next month or two.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 09:41 PM   #6
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

I bought Pirelli winter sotozerro 3 (non run flat) and mounted them on base 330i wheels (18") that i bought from a member on the board. I took them to Stephen's pass in washington, and it felt more secure than my wife's X3 on michelin all season.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2021, 09:49 PM   #7
RKT SHP
United_States
Rep

My car is coming with the Cooling and HP tire package which comes with larger rotors. Would you happen to know if those wheels will still work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pneumodoc View Post
I bought Pirelli winter sotozerro 3 (non run flat) and mounted them on base 330i wheels (18") that i bought from a member on the board. I took them to Stephen's pass in washington, and it felt more secure than my wife's X3 on michelin all season.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2021, 11:23 PM   #8
pneumodoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20, G01

Quote:
My car is coming with the Cooling and HP tire package which comes with larger rotors. Would you happen to know if those wheels will still work?
Sorry I don’t know the answer to that!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 12:57 PM   #9
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Winter Wheel set fro M340ix with Track Package

Quote:
As far as my research could determine, the only 18" BMW alloy wheels that work with M340ix equipped with the Track Package, which includes 374mm front rotors, are the 18" Style M796 matt black alloy wheels with 225/45x18" winter RFTs (Bridgestone Blizzak or Pirelli Sottozero 3). My set came with the 18" Bridgestone Blizzak RFTs.

BMW part# 36-11-2-462-647 ; pricing in the USA is about $2600 for the set, including TPM. Canadian pricing CD$3300. This set is square.

Tirerack.com offers only 19" winter wheel/tire sets for M340ix equipped with Track Package.
      10-01-2021, 12:38 AM   #10
RKT SHP
United_States
Rep

Derek......Thank you. That was EXACTLY what I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
As far as my research could determine, the only 18" BMW alloy wheels that work with M340ix equipped with the Track Package, which includes 374mm front rotors, are the 18" Style M796 matt black alloy wheels with 225/45x18" winter RFTs (Bridgestone Blizzak or Pirelli Sottozero 3). My set came with the 18" Bridgestone Blizzak RFTs.

BMW part# 36-11-2-462-647 ; pricing in the USA is about $2600 for the set, including TPM. Canadian pricing CD$3300. This set is square.

Tirerack.com offers only 19" winter wheel/tire sets for M340ix equipped with Track Package.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2021, 03:14 PM   #11
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Derek......Thank you. That was EXACTLY what I was looking for.
You are very welcome !
      10-06-2021, 12:23 AM   #12
niloch
Rep
Drives: Deposit on BMW 330e

I got a winter setup for my 330ex for Tahoe trips too, I ended up going with the Vredestein's Wintrac Pro on the BBS double spoke rims. Also have them on my Macan and they perform well. You want a tire that is good in dry/rain/slush/ice and occasional snow. Previous iterations of snow tires going up to Tahoe have been the Michelin X-Ice (not great in rain) and Pirelli Scorpions Winter (Medium all around tire)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 10:20 AM   #13
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Buddy of mine recommended the Continental DWS06 All-seasons or Michelin AS3+. He goes to Tahoe frequently and lives in the same area, has a cabin up there, and said he's had 0 issues starting / stopping on sloped icy / snowy ground up there. He also reiterated that 80-90% of the drive is NOT on snow or even in particularly cold weather, so you'd be unnecessarily significantly wearing down dedicated snow tires vs someone who lives in Denver / further north where you're in snow the second you pull out of your garage.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 11:07 AM   #14
BayM340
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Buddy of mine recommended the Continental DWS06 All-seasons or Michelin AS3+. He goes to Tahoe frequently and lives in the same area, has a cabin up there, and said he's had 0 issues starting / stopping on sloped icy / snowy ground up there. He also reiterated that 80-90% of the drive is NOT on snow or even in particularly cold weather, so you'd be unnecessarily significantly wearing down dedicated snow tires vs someone who lives in Denver / further north where you're in snow the second you pull out of your garage.
Thank you for the great input! I see you're also in the Bay Area. This was constantly on my mind with winter approaching. I do like to go to Northstar and South Lake to snowboard, and as you said 90% of that drive is in normal conditions. If we were to put on full winters in the Bay Area they would wear out during our normal drives on the way up on I-80.

I am personally looking at the Michelin Pilot AS4s as the AS3+ are now discontinued at the local Tire America in WC. Also heard great things about the DWS06. It will be between those two for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 11:54 AM   #15
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayM340 View Post
Thank you for the great input! I see you're also in the Bay Area. This was constantly on my mind with winter approaching. I do like to go to Northstar and South Lake to snowboard, and as you said 90% of that drive is in normal conditions. If we were to put on full winters in the Bay Area they would wear out during our normal drives on the way up on I-80.

I am personally looking at the Michelin Pilot AS4s as the AS3+ are now discontinued at the local Tire America in WC. Also heard great things about the DWS06. It will be between those two for me.
Yeah, seems to be 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Mixed reviews on both from both professionals and seat of the pants normal drivers. I'll probably prioritize keeping road noise to a minimum unless I can find some hard quantifiable comparisons of turning G's / stopping distances on ice or something.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 12:50 PM   #16
BayM340
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, seems to be 6 of one, half dozen of the other. Mixed reviews on both from both professionals and seat of the pants normal drivers. I'll probably prioritize keeping road noise to a minimum unless I can find some hard quantifiable comparisons of turning G's / stopping distances on ice or something.
I'll be curious on PS4S vs AS4 noise levels if anyone has done that change recently out East or in the PNW.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 01:15 PM   #17
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Huh. Now that I'm looking it up, it looks like the PS4S should be good for 20k miles not the 10k-12k I thought they'd wear out in. Cool.

As for cost, ~$235 / tire or $940 / set is actually not bad at all. My SUV's tires were about $40 / tire more.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 11:00 AM   #18
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

My all season DWS06 were brand new last winter when I installed them on my brand new M440iX and they handily navigated light snow up to 2-3 inches. Not sure I would want to test them much deeper as they are not pure winter tires. On the dry they are very quiet and smooth with reasonable grip for an all season tire.
Appreciate 1
BayM34072.00
      10-21-2021, 02:28 PM   #19
BayM340
Private
United_States
Rep

Decided on the DWS06+ route due to better noise, and better cold weather/snow performance than the AS4s for the Tahoe days. The softer side walls won't matter too much during the wet season, and I prefer the bad weather stability.
Appreciate 1