Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum Ordering a 2022 M340i or 2023 M340I

10-04-2021, 08:57 AM   #1
Biggie335
BMW Power
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i XDrive

Ordering a 2022 M340i or 2023 M340I

How's everyone feeling about the 2022 vs 2023 LCI update for the M340i ? Anyone planning on waiting for the 2023 to go into production before placing their build order?

It looks like the 2023 is going to begin production in July 2022 so potentially the first 2023 LCI 3 series would be on our roads in late fall 2023.

So far from what I've read there arent too many visual changes on the exterior with the biggest change being the adoption of the latest iDrive8 - which looks wicked imo.

Definitely elevates the interior although I still like the traditional BMW interior even without the i8.

I had a long convo with my dealer over the weekend and one thing he mentioned is he could offer some good incentives for the 2022 in Winter 2021/2022 - which he wouldnt be able to offer on the 2023. He was pretty insistent the LCI wouldnt be that much different so the only question would be whether you want the latest iDrive or not...
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 12:13 PM   #2
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggie335 View Post
How's everyone feeling about the 2022 vs 2023 LCI update for the M340i ? Anyone planning on waiting for the 2023 to go into production before placing their build order?

It looks like the 2023 is going to begin production in July 2022 so potentially the first 2023 LCI 3 series would be on our roads in late fall 2023.

So far from what I've read there arent too many visual changes on the exterior with the biggest change being the adoption of the latest iDrive8 - which looks wicked imo.

Definitely elevates the interior although I still like the traditional BMW interior even without the i8.

I had a long convo with my dealer over the weekend and one thing he mentioned is he could offer some good incentives for the 2022 in Winter 2021/2022 - which he wouldnt be able to offer on the 2023. He was pretty insistent the LCI wouldnt be that much different so the only question would be whether you want the latest iDrive or not...
In my opinion, the addition of a widescreen plunked on top of the dash for the LCI version is a retrograde change. From the passenger side, it looks like a low cost addition, which it probably is. I much prefer the current instrument binnacle and screen for MY2022.
      10-04-2021, 03:21 PM   #3
mk1978
Rep
Drives: 2022 m34i rwd

I recommend going for the 22 because of the parts shortage, if you order your 340i today you won't get your hands on it for 4-5 months at the least. It won't even start production in the first 2 months. That's how backed up their orders are. If you don't mind waiting till next year, just remember the parts shortage is only getting worse and they've reported it will get worse till the end of 22. So ordering a 22 or 23, you gotta first make sure the options you have are available. The adaptive suspension had already been removed and slowly I feel theyll remove wireless carplay and extra stuff like that, that would require a chip. End of the day its a gamble. Would you rather be safe or take a little risk? That's up to you.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 03:31 PM   #4
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
In my opinion, the addition of a widescreen plunked on top of the dash for the LCI version is a retrograde change. From the passenger side, it looks like a low cost addition, which it probably is. I much prefer the current instrument binnacle and screen for MY2022.
I tend to agree that the driver may find the wide screen OK, but the passenger gets to see the supports sticking out, and is not cohesive nor appealing.

Mine is 2021 G20 330i with analog gauges that are unavailable now due to parts shortage, so my car is likely the last Mohican.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 09:08 AM   #5
Biggie335
BMW Power
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post

I tend to agree. I do like the look of the new widescreen but it probably needs more refinement before it really fits in and integrates well with the 3 series interior. The current screens Ive seen in teaser videos online look like the old Audi and Mercedes screens which seemed like an afterthought plucked on top of the dash,
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 09:15 AM   #6
Biggie335
BMW Power
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1978 View Post
I recommend going for the 22 because of the parts shortage, if you order your 340i today you won't get your hands on it for 4-5 months at the least. It won't even start production in the first 2 months. That's how backed up their orders are. If you don't mind waiting till next year, just remember the parts shortage is only getting worse and they've reported it will get worse till the end of 22. So ordering a 22 or 23, you gotta first make sure the options you have are available. The adaptive suspension had already been removed and slowly I feel theyll remove wireless carplay and extra stuff like that, that would require a chip. End of the day its a gamble. Would you rather be safe or take a little risk? That's up to you.
My dealer and I built the M340i online last weekend and I could select all options in the build including Adaptive suspension but you're right - he did put a caveat BMW may remove some of the options once they receive the order then it would be up to me to continue or walk away from the deal. We're meeting again later this week to go over the build in detail - he was going to come back to me with some clarity on production and which options are at risk of being removed after reaching out within BMW production. I trust him since he's been my go-to SA for my last 2 BMWs.

I'm optioning out my M340i all the way with around 11k $ of options - I plan on keeping it for a good 6-8 years so I am fully okay with pulling the trigger on a 22 if it means I get all my options. But the reports so far are conflicting - dealer says the shortage will get better by Spring next year - online forums everyone thinks its going to get worse.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 12:29 PM   #7
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 40i, 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
My dealer and I built the M340i online last weekend and I could select all options in the build including Adaptive suspension but you're right - he did put a caveat BMW may remove some of the options once they receive the order then it would be up to me to continue or walk away from the deal. We're meeting again later this week to go over the build in detail - he was going to come back to me with some clarity on production and which options are at risk of being removed after reaching out within BMW production. I trust him since he's been my go-to SA for my last 2 BMWs.

I'm optioning out my M340i all the way with around 11k $ of options - I plan on keeping it for a good 6-8 years so I am fully okay with pulling the trigger on a 22 if it means I get all my options. But the reports so far are conflicting - dealer says the shortage will get better by Spring next year - online forums everyone thinks its going to get worse.
were you able to add adaptive suspension and parking assist package as well? i guess all options can be added from the dealer system but they could be removed when in production.
      10-06-2021, 09:39 AM   #8
Biggie335
BMW Power
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymac1 View Post
were you able to add adaptive suspension and parking assist package as well? i guess all options can be added from the dealer system but they could be removed when in production.
Correct. Both Adaptive M and Park assist were options in the build sheet and we could select them. But they can easily toss them off once the order is in. The SA seemed confident they wouldnt remove them for the M models but no guarantee ofcourse.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 09:41 AM   #9
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Correct. Both Adaptive M and Park assist were options in the build sheet and we could select them. But they can easily toss them off once the order is in. The SA seemed confident they wouldnt remove them for the M models but no guarantee ofcourse.
thank you! I think if i end up ordering one I would ask the dealership to add both as well, and hope they dont get removed from the build. Seems like the dealer system can still access these options and include them in the build.
      10-06-2021, 01:36 PM   #10
Biggie335
BMW Power
Canada
Rep

Quote:
thank you! I think if i end up ordering one I would ask the dealership to add both as well, and hope they dont get removed from the build. Seems like the dealer system can still access these options and include them in the build.
No worries. I definitely recommend both especially the adaptive M suspension. My brother has it in his M340i and it makes a world of difference in my opinion - not just on the twistys but also the quality of the ride in daily driving. If the dealer orders it and for some reason they dont fulfil the order you can either wait for a bit longer or walk away from the deal.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2021, 01:38 PM   #11
tonymac1
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
No worries. I definitely recommend both especially the adaptive M suspension. My brother has it in his M340i and it makes a world of difference in my opinion - not just on the twistys but also the quality of the ride in daily driving. If the dealer orders it and for some reason they dont fulfil the order you can either wait for a bit longer or walk away from the deal.
That makes sense, I'll need to make sure the dealer do include these options. I have adaptive on our x5 and it rides great, it's such a bargain if ordered from factory so I don't want to miss it either