Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Off to Mission Performance I go to load their new IOS app based tuning solution

10-05-2021, 12:13 PM   #1
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Exclamation Off to Mission Performance I go to load their new IOS app based tuning solution

I have an appointment this afternoon to load the beta version of new Mission Performance App (IOS) tuning platform. While this will soon be available to use remotely at home – Alex wanted to spend a little time with me and the car to explain things

I have been a happy MP customer for several years and have almost always used their unlock and loaded the tune remotely using my PC but this is a shift to a phone based app that Alex claims has some very unique features. Some of which he shared have come as a result of his work with Toyota TRD corporate (this is the part of the business we don't get to really see in that it is oem work - but seems like some of those innovations are trickling down to the consumer side of his business) Not sure just yet what those features are

For those not familiar MP traditionally handles both unlock and tune with their software (exception being the latest drama with the newer DMEs) – similar to MHD and BM3. However the MP offering has always been PC based – so this is a big shift. It has also traditionally been locked down meaning other tuners cannot use the MP platform to load their own tunes (I'm guessing this will not change)

I am expecting a good marriage between MP’s technical innovations and a user friendly IOS based app. While the PC solution has always been good for me I am looking forward to an app running MPs new platform.

Couple things come to mind for me - this is my list of questions so far:
  • How many platforms will the new solution support
  • Does this get us any closer to a 21 unlock and tune all in one package from the same company
  • Will electric and hybrid innovations be included on the same platform
  • What about dealer visits locking your DME after a dealer software upgrade
  • What about OTA (over the air updates) overwriting the tune and/or unlock
  • What the hell is going on with the 21/22 unlock (did I already mention that)
  • Remote recovery if problems occur during flash
  • Logging - manual or automated
  • Cable or wireless suggested for flash and unlock
  • Dynamic flash change adaptation based on fuel
  • Will new platform still be able to be re-sold unlimited times if yes how is that handled
  • Customer support in general still US based PST
  • Can I switch between maps on the fly
  • Any of this come as a result of the oem work that MP does with Toyota
  • Tranny flashes included on same platform (like with the current PC solution)
  • Time to unlock and/or flash
  • Upgrade path for people like me currently with the PC based solution
  • Can I keep my tried and true PC solution if I want or will it be end of life at some point
  • Pricing, availability etc...

Anyhoo that's where I'm at for now let's see how this goes
Appreciate 6
k4sh_90539.00
m340ninja274.50
Punkwrock118.50
njfoses288.00
Musaabi119.00
      10-05-2021, 12:25 PM   #2
Jim-Bow
First Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: G16 840i

Good luck! I think there will be quite a few of us interested in how you get on!
Appreciate 1
chenry2355.50
      10-05-2021, 12:53 PM   #3
Vmaxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Very nice! Bring on the tuning options!
Appreciate 1
chenry2355.50
      10-05-2021, 02:28 PM   #4
iiSonnyii
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
I have an appointment this afternoon to load the beta version of new Mission Performance App (IOS) tuning platform. While this will soon be available to use remotely at home – Alex wanted to spend a little time with me and the car to explain things

I have been a happy MP customer for several years and have almost always used their unlock and loaded the tune remotely using my PC but this is a shift to a phone based app that Alex claims has some very unique features. Some of which he shared have come as a result of his work with Toyota TRD corporate (this is the part of the business we don't get to really see in that it is oem work - but seems like some of those innovations are trickling down to the consumer side of his business) Not sure just yet what those features are

For those not familiar MP traditionally handles both unlock and tune with their software (exception being the latest drama with the newer DMEs) – similar to MHD and BM3. However the MP offering has always been PC based – so this is a big shift. It has also traditionally been locked down meaning other tuners cannot use the MP platform to load their own tunes (I'm guessing this will not change)

I am expecting a good marriage between MP’s technical innovations and a user friendly IOS based app. While the PC solution has always been good for me I am looking forward to an app running MPs new platform.

Couple things come to mind for me - this is my list of questions so far:
  • How many platforms will the new solution support
  • Does this get us any closer to a 21 unlock and tune all in one package from the same company
  • Will electric and hybrid innovations be included on the same platform
  • What about dealer visits locking your DME after a dealer software upgrade
  • What about OTA (over the air updates) overwriting the tune and/or unlock
  • What the hell is going on with the 21/22 unlock (did I already mention that)
  • Remote recovery if problems occur during flash
  • Logging - manual or automated
  • Cable or wireless suggested for flash and unlock
  • Dynamic flash change adaptation based on fuel
  • Will new platform still be able to be re-sold unlimited times if yes how is that handled
  • Customer support in general still US based PST
  • Can I switch between maps on the fly
  • Any of this come as a result of the oem work that MP does with Toyota
  • Tranny flashes included on same platform (like with the current PC solution)
  • Time to unlock and/or flash
  • Upgrade path for people like me currently with the PC based solution
  • Can I keep my tried and true PC solution if I want or will it be end of life at some point
  • Pricing, availability etc...

Anyhoo that's where I'm at for now let's see how this goes
Keep us posted and like always, thanks for your contribution!
Appreciate 1
chenry2355.50
      10-05-2021, 05:04 PM   #5
oreoOozZz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 BGM X3MC

Very curious/excited to see what comes of this. Keep us posted!
Appreciate 1
chenry2355.50
      10-05-2021, 06:23 PM   #6
serg1282
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: through

Good stuff as always. Keep us posted-
Appreciate 1
chenry2355.50
      10-06-2021, 01:02 PM   #7
ssgm1x
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i & 2018 M3

Welcome to the 21st century.....
      10-07-2021, 04:22 PM   #8
PrezRoosevelt
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i Rwd

Any updates? Was gonna call them up since I'm only 40 mins away if they need beta testers.
Appreciate 1
chenry2355.50
      10-07-2021, 07:57 PM   #9
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrezRoosevelt View Post
Any updates? Was gonna call them up since I'm only 40 mins away if they need beta testers.
Very impressive - I'm a pig in poop. While I have been running the standard MP E30/91 Stage 2 for the past year with zero complaints (street and track), I decided to load the Stage 2 Supra Map that Alex developed while working with Toyota TRD - its a tad bit smoother, not better just a bit different

Presently experimenting with the app and portal to get familiar with the features and give feedback to Alex from an old layman's (me) perspective. I'll circle back with the forum in few days once I've had a little more time to digest. While some of the features (tune, cooling, fueling, burble etc) are me too features and have been present with the current MP offering (and others like BM3, MHD) - they now have just moved to the app.

Some of the standout features are in typical MP fashion, really innovative I think (going to dealer feature, recovery to stock feature, limiting performance if engine is too hot or cold, dynamic logging with automatic warnings and a feature that allows the software to customize your tune automatically based on your individual engine parameters, unlimited automated license transfer or for sale feature, 2wd option for m vehicles, coding, electric range extension, a code you can give to your mechanic so they can access your tune) - there are others and I'm not sure if everything will be released in public release phase 1. But the cool thing is it's a single platform that all the features ride on.

Couple Toyota Corp vehicles on site for what I imagine was work on MPs oem side of the business and as always a few cool one off shop vehicles (supercharged Alpina powered 5 series, M4 coupe with an M5 V8 and others) all of which Alex built - the guy is an amazing fabricator in addition to software engineer and we all benefit.

As always after spending time with him I'm reminded the focus of his offerings is innovation, optimization, engine health, drivability, reliability and linear power delivery for anything from the grocery store to the track.

While he has made cars with crazy power for himself that's not anything he is interested in advertising or offering for public consumption - that's not the lane he plays in

As always enjoyed my time at his shop, he is a true gentleman
Appreciate 1
Musaabi119.00
      10-07-2021, 08:25 PM   #10
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340xi

Is the going to dealer feature, going to be an attempt to hide the tune from bmws newest software that detects it, or merely just to try not to draw attention?
Appreciate 1
chenry2355.50
      10-08-2021, 07:26 AM   #11
Vmaxx
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Very impressive - I'm a pig in poop. While I have been running the standard MP E30/91 Stage 2 for the past year with zero complaints (street and track), I decided to load the Stage 2 Supra Map that Alex developed while working with Toyota TRD - its a tad bit smoother, not better just a bit different

Presently experimenting with the app and portal to get familiar with the features and give feedback to Alex from an old layman's (me) perspective. I'll circle back with the forum in few days once I've had a little more time to digest. While some of the features (tune, cooling, fueling, burble etc) are me too features and have been present with the current MP offering (and others like BM3, MHD) - they now have just moved to the app.

Some of the standout features are in typical MP fashion, really innovative I think (going to dealer feature, recovery to stock feature, limiting performance if engine is too hot or cold, dynamic logging with automatic warnings and a feature that allows the software to customize your tune automatically based on your individual engine parameters, unlimited automated license transfer or for sale feature, 2wd option for m vehicles, coding, electric range extension, a code you can give to your mechanic so they can access your tune) - there are others and I'm not sure if everything will be released in public release phase 1. But the cool thing is it's a single platform that all the features ride on.

Couple Toyota Corp vehicles on site for what I imagine was work on MPs oem side of the business and as always a few cool one off shop vehicles (supercharged Alpina powered 5 series, M4 coupe with an M5 V8 and others) all of which Alex built - the guy is an amazing fabricator in addition to software engineer and we all benefit.

As always after spending time with him I'm reminded the focus of his offerings is innovation, optimization, engine health, drivability, reliability and linear power delivery for anything from the grocery store to the track.

While he has made cars with crazy power for himself that's not anything he is interested in advertising or offering for public consumption - that's not the lane he plays in

As always enjoyed my time at his shop, he is a true gentleman
Chenry, does this app/platform allow us to unlock and tune DME without having to mail it in?
Appreciate 1
chenry2355.50
      10-08-2021, 08:33 AM   #12
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
chenry2355.50
      10-08-2021, 03:11 PM   #13
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_B58 View Post
Is the going to dealer feature, going to be an attempt to hide the tune from bmws newest software that detects it, or merely just to try not to draw attention?
I think (not speaking for them) it's more to prevent unlocked DMEs being locked at the dealer when the dealer is installing new software - another similar feature, as I understand it, prevents OTA updates from messing with the MP tune. I'm going to put these both to the test soon in that my car is due for both an OTA update and a dealer recall visit (both of which I have been ignoring for quite some time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmaxx View Post
Chenry, does this app/platform allow us to unlock and tune DME without having to mail it in?
I think MP is going to provide an update on that soon (and I don't want to speak for them) I have been unlocking remotely at home for a while a now but that is because I have an older DME
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 06:33 PM   #14
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340xi

Quote:
I think (not speaking for them) it's more to prevent unlocked DMEs being locked at the dealer when the dealer is installing new software - another similar feature, as I understand it, prevents OTA updates from messing with the MP tune. I'm going to put these both to the test soon in that my car is due for both an OTA update and a dealer recall visit (both of which I have been ignoring for quite some time)
Oh alright, so is it like a box you tick before the flash then, like vmaxx removed?
After reading his first announcement about the perimeters bmw uses to detect tunes, I figured if anyone could trick or spoof them, mission would be the one.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 01:29 PM   #15
m340ninja
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Excited for more details. chenry Assuming you used the same bluetooth ODB adapter that you use for Bimmerlink/code when you connected with the MP app?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 09:53 PM   #16
enkoo52
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M340i

I’m scheduled for a Mission Tune next week. Is the iosapp plug and play after I leave Mission once released? Or do I have to go back later to add compatibility. Trying to gauge whether it’s better to delay the tune and do it all at once.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 10:09 AM   #17
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m340ninja View Post
Excited for more details. chenry Assuming you used the same bluetooth ODB adapter that you use for Bimmerlink/code when you connected with the MP app?
Hello
Yes and No....I've never really been happy with my old vgate so Alex let me borrow one of his many wireless OBD adaptors he had at the shop. I'm using that and also my an iphone to OBD cable that I've had for a while. Both are fast and seamless
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 10:13 AM   #18
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by enkoo52 View Post
I’m scheduled for a Mission Tune next week. Is the iosapp plug and play after I leave Mission once released? Or do I have to go back later to add compatibility. Trying to gauge whether it’s better to delay the tune and do it all at once.
Hello - yes plug and play that's exactly what I did. I had been running the flash that I originally loaded with my PC over a year ago (same as if you visited MP at the shop) and now I simply use the app vs the pc. to log or change features burble etc..

The switch to the app for existing MP customers - is seamless and free of charge

I see zero reason to delay
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 04:47 PM   #19
Jayf30
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i Dark Graphite Cogn

I've been running mission's tune since 2018 and have had no complaints thus far.

Patiently waiting for the release of the iOS app

Thanks for updates and feedback!
      10-14-2021, 07:08 PM   #20
MAKH 5
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD [Portimao Blue]

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkoo52 View Post
I'm scheduled for a Mission Tune next week. Is the iosapp plug and play after I leave Mission once released? Or do I have to go back later to add compatibility. Trying to gauge whether it's better to delay the tune and do it all at once.
Hello - yes plug and play that's exactly what I did. I had been running the flash that I originally loaded with my PC over a year ago (same as if you visited MP at the shop) and now I simply use the app vs the pc. to log or change features burble etc..

The switch to the app for existing MP customers - is seamless and free of charge

I see zero reason to delay
Thanks for the updates. They're greatly appreciated!

Did Alex mention how long it would be before others on the beta test list would receive access to the app?

I'm really looking forward to both logging and reducing the factory burble intensity
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 01:20 PM   #21
iiSonnyii
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 m340i

Any updates?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 06:58 PM   #22
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

So far just enjoying playing around with the logging and switching the flashes and exhaust note a bit.

But to be honest I'm more of a set it and forget it person so it's perfect. In typical Alex fashion he gives us enough features to play around with but not enough to get us (or him) into trouble. As an example burble is not unlimited but rather is on a 1-10 scale (this may change) of what he feels is safe for the engine. Logging the same way instead of offering 100's of parameters he makes the 30 or so available that he feels are most important.

The more time I spend with the app....In my mind it's kinda like Apple vs Android - with MP being Apple in this example. Go with Apple if you want to have flexibility but always ultimately be safe in the Apple universe - you can't get yourself into too much trouble...Apple gives you options but it's their sandbox. Go Android if you want unlimited options, other people to be able to write software to your phone and be able to explore options that may ultimately be determinantal to you (or may be great and allow you to do things that you couldn't with the Apple platform). One is not better than the other - it's just a matter of where you feel safe.

Off to the dealer soon for brake recall (I had to bump my appt) we'll see how that goes - I intend to drop it with no changes to my MP software (other than clicking the going to the dealer feature) and the DME unlocked. Curious if I'll be able to easily reflash with the app after the dealer has upgraded and I assume locked the DME

So far I remain very impressed
Appreciate 6
m340ninja274.50
Vmaxx271.50
baturbo47.50
MAKH 588.50