Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Front license/number plate (EU/UK) fixing?

10-14-2021, 02:52 AM   #1
Incarniac
Human
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i Coupe

Front license/number plate (EU/UK) fixing?

Hello,

After having my M440i for a few weeks, I have realised that the front numberplate is fixed to the front of the car with sticky pads.

Due to the curve of the front, one of the pads have given up on holding the plate (to me this is likely to happen over time given that there is more pressure outwards at the edges of the number plate).

It is, however, the first time I’ve had a car where the number plates are simply stuck on like this. It appears the rear ones are too but there is no curve there so it’s holding up fine there.

For now I have simply added another sticky pad to keep it on, but it won’t last for a long time.

What I’m wondering if if anyone know of any kind of bracket - BMW G22 specific or generic - that will work on this grille. I haven’t actually taken the number plate off to look behind, but I’m assuming that there are now holes to screw into (or the plates would have been screwed in to begin with) so therefore also assume the solution would have to be free of using screws.

The number plate is standard size UK (which is also standard size EU).

Appreciate any pointers.
Attached Images

10-14-2021, 04:07 AM   #2
davekilshaw
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i M Sport G42

Just checked mine, and both have been screwed on... The front has white caps on so you can't really see them.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2021, 10:24 AM   #3
Incarniac
Human
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekilshaw View Post
Just checked mine, and both have been screwed on... The front has white caps on so you can't really see them.
Thanks, and interesting - guess I need to take them off to have a look, and order a frame/holder that can be screwed in to slot the plates into the holder (my plates don't have any holes for screws).

Does anyone have any recommendation for any number plate holders/frames for UK/EU number plates on the G22?
      10-14-2021, 11:47 AM   #4
M4dski11z
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i

I asked for mine to be stuck on like yours, rather than drilling into the car and the dealer said no and that the front brackets needed to be fitted. You’re lucky, keep it how it is and relocate the plate elsewhere.
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2021, 12:22 PM   #5
Incarniac
Human
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4dski11z View Post
I asked for mine to be stuck on like yours, rather than drilling into the car and the dealer said no and that the front brackets needed to be fitted. You’re lucky, keep it how it is and relocate the plate elsewhere.
Thanks - I guess my question is, do you know if they needed actually drilling into the car (and there were no 'pre-made' holes), or whether there are already holes ready to accept screws?

I am not going to just screw in the plate if it hasn't already been prepped to take screws, so in that case I'll have to find another solution (or just 'stick' - pun intended - with it and maybe use multiple pads on the edges to take off some of the pressure form the curved front).
      10-14-2021, 12:39 PM   #6
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4dski11z View Post
This!

Incarniac if i were you I'd just locate some 3M VHB pads and stick it back on.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2021, 03:56 AM   #7
M4dski11z
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i

Pre drilled rears and dealer drills the fronts as far as I know.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2021, 01:29 PM   #8
Incarniac
Human
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks all.

Took it off today to stick it back on with some 3M VHB tape (thanks for the recommendation), which is sticking for the time being, but time will tell.

I can confirm there are no pre-drilled holes in the front of the car, so if it this doesn’t stick well I’ll need to look at alternative options.
      10-30-2021, 02:46 AM   #9
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport

Garage List
I've been using 3m double sided automotive body work tape for 16 months now without issue. It has held up amazingly well. It's always raining here and hasn't affected it.
Appreciate 1