Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Anyone with experience coming from s5 b9 to m440

10-17-2021, 01:40 PM   #1
totalone
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 e45, M440

Anyone with experience coming from s5 b9 to m440

I am thinking to make a move from s5 b9 to new m440 gc. I know that grand coupe is not out yet, but I wonder if anyone has made a jump from s5 to m440 coupe and what was their experience.
I would prefer people share who actually got m440 not m340.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 11:58 AM   #2
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

Not a perfect match, since I had the 3.0 'T' supercharged engine in an A4. So less power than yours, S-Tronic but Sport Differential and adaptive dampers.

Some impression from my M440i xDrive Coupe:
The car is heavier. With the drive mode in Comfort (normally the start up default) the dampers are also set to Comfort, which I feel is a bit too soft.

A difference to the Audi (with individual settings) is that to select damper settings to Sport, one of the Sport modes is required, but then also the Stop/Start (and Sailing) features are disabled. In the Audi my default setting was to disable the Stop/Start but with BMW MHEV design I actually like it.
The solution for daily use is to change start up mode to "Adaptive", which makes the dampers to firm up a bit.

Coming from B9 it's maybe not essential to you but I value the iDrive physical controls and the programmable buttons (and I don't touch the screen). BMW also lets me decide more via the user I/F how the features shall behave.

I haven't, so far, missed the "all time" quattro AWD, but we'll see when the winter comes. The ZF gear box (instead of the Audi dual clutch) is OK. It's more responsive in manual mode and I like the BMW implementation of the "Sprint" mode. It instantly transforms the car for a quick overtake and works from Adaptive/Comfort mode and manually upshifts aggressively like Sport+.
My fuel consumption dropped 20-25% compared to the Audi supercharged engine (also after the "run in" period
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 11:29 PM   #3
totalone
Captain
Rep
Drives: x5 e45, M440

Quote:
Originally Posted by G22b58 View Post
Not a perfect match, since I had the 3.0 'T' supercharged engine in an A4. So less power than yours, S-Tronic but Sport Differential and adaptive dampers.

Some impression from my M440i xDrive Coupe:
The car is heavier. With the drive mode in Comfort (normally the start up default) the dampers are also set to Comfort, which I feel is a bit too soft.

A difference to the Audi (with individual settings) is that to select damper settings to Sport, one of the Sport modes is required, but then also the Stop/Start (and Sailing) features are disabled. In the Audi my default setting was to disable the Stop/Start but with BMW MHEV design I actually like it.
The solution for daily use is to change start up mode to "Adaptive", which makes the dampers to firm up a bit.

Coming from B9 it's maybe not essential to you but I value the iDrive physical controls and the programmable buttons (and I don't touch the screen). BMW also lets me decide more via the user I/F how the features shall behave.

I haven't, so far, missed the "all time" quattro AWD, but we'll see when the winter comes. The ZF gear box (instead of the Audi dual clutch) is OK. It's more responsive in manual mode and I like the BMW implementation of the "Sprint" mode. It instantly transforms the car for a quick overtake and works from Adaptive/Comfort mode and manually upshifts aggressively like Sport+.
My fuel consumption dropped 20-25% compared to the Audi supercharged engine (also after the "run in" period
I have s5 sb currently, but want to try something new. We just got x5 for my wife, and we loved it. Due to that I been considering getting 4 series.

Do you like your seats?
Did you opt in for premium seats?
Do you have m suspension? If so, do you like it, is it worth it?
Did you purchase cooling package? What is it anyway? Should I get it?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 04:35 AM   #4
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

I'm in Europe so my options and packaging are different from US.
Seats: I have the Alcantara (available in Europe) but that is only available with the standard sport seats (not "M Sport" seats). The side support in the back rest is OK, while I would want some better side support in the seat. I got the adjustable side and lumbar support (but only in driver seat).

I have the Adjustable M Suspension. A diffference from Audi ADS is that there is only one "Adaptive" driving mode. No individual settings in that. The "Sport Individual" has some separate settings but suspension can be set in "Sport" or "Comfort". I set that in "Sport" so I have quick access, via driving mode between Adaptive, Sport Individual, Sport and Sport+. Adaptive works for me in daily driving while Comfort is to soft. (Change startup mode with BimmerCode).

I have the "M Sport" brakes. I did not opt for the Cooling & Larger M Performance Brakes. I don't track and the stopping power is quite enough for my "spirited moments". (I reckon I can do without higher cost for brake maintenance.)

I had "Dynamic Steering" in the Audi. I miss that. The "Variable Sport Steering" is more non-linear but I feel in average/daily has a lower ratio.

So all-in-all I'm happy so far. It's a bit more RWD biased than the quattro with Sport Diff I had, but so far no traction issues even when stepping on it on wet tarmac while turning and getting into traffic. Seems to send power also to the front in such cases. (I believe the BMW "Sport Diff" LSD comes standard in M440i, but to my understanding it's an active LSD and does not provide real torque vectoring.)

You need to try a GC when available.
Appreciate 0