Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions BMW M340i - MHT 2021 Model

10-18-2021, 02:43 AM   #1
h4bvn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

BMW M340i - MHT 2021 Model

Hello all,

I have just ordered a M340i xDrive (UK) from my local dealer. Due for delivery in early December. I have gone for:
-Black Sapphire
-Ivory White / Black extended Merino Leather
-Shadow Line Pack
-Red Calipers
-Tech Pack
-Heated Steering wheel

Risky going the white leather but wanted to go for something slightly different and to lift the cabin slightly.

I'm moving out of a 2018 540i xDrive to the M340i, I just feel the 5 isn't as sharp and performance capable as I'd like it to be. Thoughts on this comparison from any one with experience of both?

Does the mild hybrid have an affect on the cars performance at all, I've seen on the likes of youtube that people tend to get 0-62 in around 4.1 seconds.. Does anyone have a MHT M340i X that could confirm 0-62 times? I just wondered what affect if any does the MHT have on the car in general really.

Also, since the MHT introduction, have exhaust sound been lost at all?

Thanks all for taking the time to read and respond.

H4BVN
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 06:58 AM   #2
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

My car is very similar to yours, but with cerium grey wheels. Wonderful car to drive, especially on the open road, and good power/torque is always there when you need it. Gas mileage is outstanding for a performance car, with my highway mileage at about 33.5 MPG (US gallons).

I have the same interior color on my M340i and my old 328i, and have found it relatively easy to keep up. You will get some color and dirt transfer from jeans to the front seat bolsters as you slide in, but leather cleaner takes it off very easily.

- exhaust sound is much quieter on the 2021’s, apparently due to compliance with noise requirements in some non-US countries. It drives the street racer types crazy because they like a louder exhaust that gets more attention, but it has no effect on performance.
- mild hybrid may help performance slightly because the system kicks in under certain conditions to provide power from the 48v system. However, there is no way to control when the the boost kicks in, so it’s not very relevant to having more sporty driving.
- many report that the auto start-stop is smoother with the 48v system, but I still hate it, and on a stock 2021 M340i it cannot be turned off (no switch). I coded mine to start up in Sport Individual with ASS off.
- I have found that the ride with Pirelli P7 run flats is much rougher than it was with my F30 that had Continentals and Bridgestones. Some of it might be the higher tire pressures (38/41 recommended) , but I’m still not a fan of the Pirellis.
- I get a feeling of a non-linear relationship between the brake pedal movement and the braking effect during very light braking (like a very slight variation in the car speed). My suspicion is that the regenerative braking system may need a little tweaking to smooth it out, it I’m not really sure.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 07:06 AM   #3
h4bvn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc2005 View Post
My car is very similar to yours, but with cerium grey wheels. Wonderful car to drive, especially on the open road, and good power/torque is always there when you need it. Gas mileage is outstanding for a performance car, with my highway mileage at about 33.5 MPG (US gallons).

I have the same interior color on my M340i and my old 328i, and have found it relatively easy to keep up. You will get some color and dirt transfer from jeans to the front seat bolsters as you slide in, but leather cleaner takes it off very easily.

- exhaust sound is much quieter on the 2021's, apparently due to compliance with noise requirements in some non-US countries. It drives the street racer types crazy because they like a louder exhaust that gets more attention, but it has no effect on performance.
- mild hybrid may help performance slightly because the system kicks in under certain conditions to provide power from the 48v system. However, there is no way to control when the the boost kicks in, so it's not very relevant to having more sporty driving.
- many report that the auto start-stop is smoother with the 48v system, but I still hate it, and on a stock 2021 M340i it cannot be turned off (no switch). I coded mine to start up in Sport Individual with ASS off.
- I have found that the ride with Pirelli P7 run flats is much rougher than it was with my F30 that had Continentals and Bridgestones. Some of it might be the higher tire pressures (38/41 recommended) , but I'm still not a fan of the Pirellis.
- I get a feeling of a non-linear relationship between the brake pedal movement and the braking effect during very light braking (like a very slight variation in the car speed). My suspicion is that the regenerative braking system may need a little tweaking to smooth it out, it I'm not really sure.
Thanks for the response.

Yes I really hope the leather doesn't age too badly. I will regularly clean and care for it which I am happy to do. Just hope it doesn't get to the point where it becomes ruined over time!

Thanks for the other info, it's interesting to hear your thoughts. Lots of info about the original M340i but not so much since the MHT upgrade. I guess that's down to it being newer so less people have experienced it so far. If anyone else has any thoughts or experience let me know.

Thanks
Appreciate 0