Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum Dealer not honoring price when closing

10-15-2021, 05:36 AM   #1
bababiskothu
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Dealer not honoring price when closing

Hello,

I am not sure what my options are but want to see if anyone has had a similar experience before like this.

I negotiated price and paid $1000 deposit for m340i in August. The car is now in lot. As I finalize the paper work to pick it up tomorrow the finance now says they cannot apply the BMW incentive now since it has expired and increased the purchase price by $3500 as a result. I was never told about this when the price was agreed and deposit made and my assumption was that’s the amount. The sales tells me since it was stop sale then and so they were not able to close or pick the deal then. This is frustrating and they are not willing to negotiate one bit now. On one hand I just want to get my deposit back and look elsewhere but on other hand given the supply demand and wait time etc just wanna get over with absorbing the $3500.

Worse case or best case they will throw an all season weather mat!

Have you been in this situation before? If so what did you do??

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 06:16 AM   #2
P_Leotardo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i Xdrive

You walk
Appreciate 1
G20NZ34.50
      10-15-2021, 06:52 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I'd check the paperwork wording carefully just so you can be 100% clear about where you stand
But in general I'd say if you have a contract to buy a car at $xxxx the that should be honoured .
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 07:46 AM   #4
bababiskothu
Enlisted Member
Rep

I have the quote and email from them and not like a paperwork was done at that time. And based on the quote I made the $1K deposit so I assume that would constitute a legal contract?

Its really frustrating when you eagerly wait couple of months and hitting a block at the very end..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 08:16 AM   #5
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Leotardo View Post
You walk
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 08:36 AM   #6
clearwaterms
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: B9 Audi S4 & LS3 C6 Corvette

call BMW corporate. In this case the dealership is claiming that an incentive offered by BMW is no longer available as a result of the stop sale. The dealership is claiming that they are not changing their price but the incentive (compensation received at least in part from BMW of america) no longer applies raising your sale price.

I believe if you do a credit app you can hold an existing offer for a set number of days. I would call BMW corporate, ask to speak to somebody; explain the situation and ask what if anything can be done.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 08:39 AM   #7
springerdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Leotardo View Post
You walk
Just like you did?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 08:44 AM   #8
springerdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwaterms View Post
call BMW corporate. In this case the dealership is claiming that an incentive offered by BMW is no longer available as a result of the stop sale. The dealership is claiming that they are not changing their price but the incentive (compensation received at least in part from BMW of america) no longer applies raising your sale price.

I believe if you do a credit app you can hold an existing offer for a set number of days. I would call BMW corporate, ask to speak to somebody; explain the situation and ask what if anything can be done.
Yes to this, but I would start with the dealer's GM- in person. I would make a lot of noise. Bring a copy of your unsent letter to corporate and tell them to either honor the original deal or you're going to escalate.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 08:47 AM   #9
Biggie335
BMW Power
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababiskothu View Post
I have the quote and email from them and not like a paperwork was done at that time. And based on the quote I made the $1K deposit so I assume that would constitute a legal contract?

Its really frustrating when you eagerly wait couple of months and hitting a block at the very end..
Speak directly to the Department manager. If they dont budge, ask them to throw in a set of winter wheels - all season mats are a joke for a $3500 price jump.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 09:04 AM   #10
digistil
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i, F30 335i

Many incentives are partially paid for by the dealer. There's nothing stopping them from still paying for the portion that they would have, if it hadn't expired.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 09:11 AM   #11
P_Leotardo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerdrive View Post
You must be very salty that Im in production and you’re still waiting.

Do you have nothing better to do with your time than follow me around and harass me?

Also, the situation is different. OPs issue is at delivery, mine was at point of sale.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2021, 11:30 AM   #12
bababiskothu
Enlisted Member
Rep

I spoke to corporate and also the dealer GM (over phone as they are like 2 hrs away) and they also talked to area team management who seem to handle these situation. Corporate says they can’t honor incentive now that it’s expired. I told the dealer I am walking away and then going back and forth they are now coming down by $1500 meeting me half way after an hour of negotiation.

I might just sign and pick it as it has all bell and whistles I was looking for (not my build but happen to be on transit when I started shopping).

Hopefully driving one this experience fades away and just enjoy new ride.

Thanks for all your inputs here! Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 12:00 PM   #13
bap340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340I

Quote:
I spoke to corporate and also the dealer GM (over phone as they are like 2 hrs away) and they also talked to area team management who seem to handle these situation. Corporate says they can’t honor incentive now that it’s expired. I told the dealer I am walking away and then going back and forth they are now coming down by $1500 meeting me half way after an hour of negotiation.

I might just sign and pick it as it has all bell and whistles I was looking for (not my build but happen to be on transit when I started shopping).

In general you don't have a contract for the car until a purchase agreement, not an order document, is signed. Every car I have purchased that happened at time of title transfer, or in the case of European Delivery when I left to pick it up. And the dealer is paid the full amount of whatever deal you negotiated.

Typically the dealer is paying for part of the incentive offered by BMW and if they are picking up $1,500 that is probably as good as you can expect. Enjoy the car and leave the drama behind.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 12:13 PM   #14
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330e MSport Individual

Going to court you would absolutely win since you did the downpayment....but what would you actually win?
After half a year etc etc. at least.
I would go and talk to them in person to see if you can get some final gesture but that is how I would do it for my own feeling that you did the utmost.
Even if you have a contract, they claim force majeure on the chip issues which resulted in 2 options missing. Partially that was their fault and the car was reordered and chipissues resulted in 6 (!!) options were most likely not available.
I found a stock car that was 99% of my order and got that one but the car I originally bought would never have been delivered.
Now tell me how they can claim force majeure on the same order twice.....
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 03:20 PM   #15
jg4c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Hello,

I am not sure what my options are but want to see if anyone has had a similar experience before like this.

I negotiated price and paid $1000 deposit for m340i in August. The car is now in lot. As I finalize the paper work to pick it up tomorrow the finance now says they cannot apply the BMW incentive now since it has expired and increased the purchase price by $3500 as a result. I was never told about this when the price was agreed and deposit made and my assumption was that’s the amount. The sales tells me since it was stop sale then and so they were not able to close or pick the deal then. This is frustrating and they are not willing to negotiate one bit now. On one hand I just want to get my deposit back and look elsewhere but on other hand given the supply demand and wait time etc just wanna get over with absorbing the $3500.

Worse case or best case they will throw an all season weather mat!

Have you been in this situation before? If so what did you do??

Thanks!
My 2 cents. i understand your frustration, and I'm assuming there was miscommunication on the part of your dealer.

You have no recourse. Incentives only apply at the time you finally pick up your car, which was much later than your negotiated price, and deposit.

You can't include an incentive discount, at the time of deposit, in the overall cost of your car, since that incentive may not be available at pick up.

That's just how incentives work. Some people pick up a car in October and there are no dealer incentives/discounts, and others pick up a car
in November and there is an incentive/discount they can have.

The stop order has nothing to do with it. If that delayed your car, it's meaningless since the only thing that matters is the month when you pick it up.

I think the mats are just a good will gesture, for the miscommunication. Enjoy your car!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 03:22 PM   #16
jg4c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i XDrive

Quote:

That's awesome, they did the right thing. Take the car and enjoy!!
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2021, 10:12 PM   #17
renig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg4c View Post
My 2 cents. i understand your frustration, and I'm assuming there was miscommunication on the part of your dealer.

You have no recourse. Incentives only apply at the time you finally pick up your car, which was much later than your negotiated price, and deposit.

You can't include an incentive discount, at the time of deposit, in the overall cost of your car, since that incentive may not be available at pick up.

That's just how incentives work. Some people pick up a car in October and there are no dealer incentives/discounts, and others pick up a car
in November and there is an incentive/discount they can have.

The stop order has nothing to do with it. If that delayed your car, it's meaningless since the only thing that matters is the month when you pick it up.

I think the mats are just a good will gesture, for the miscommunication. Enjoy your car!
Agreed... when you order a car you can't count on incentives until you sign the final sales agreement which is after vehicle has a Vin. Until then, it doesn't exist. So Kinda like incentives are like icing on the cake. Not that anyone is getting deals nowadays....
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 05:26 PM   #18
jlapicki
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Get the car!.....you will absolutely love it and the money issue will soften in your memory....my order got moved to a 2022 in lieu of a 2021 and all I got was the $500 loyalty incentive but the car is great...
2017 M2 - Alpine White / Black - SOLD
2001 e39 M5 - Titanium / Caramel - A "Keeper"
Appreciate 0